1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. rogue131

rogue131 Byzantine Historian

real quickly, does anyone know where I can find a good strategy article on building a commercial empire. Basically $ oriented! I know financial victory is not an option, but I it would be fun to try a commercial empire.

2. MrKlew

MrKlew Warlord

I'm fighting a war with Boudica on a noble level game. Monty declared the war and asked me to join. She's now down to two island outposts and it seems all the AIs are smelling blood and dogpiling on. My guess is as soon as the initial 10 turns are over she vassals to someone. Being her nearest neighbor and in possession of her capital I'm guessing I've got a decent shot at getting her to vassal. My question is, if she vassals to me will I automatically be at war with Monty and the rest of the world or will they make peace too?

3. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

If a civ capitulates to someone they are at war with then the war is over. Everyone who was at war with them is now at peace with them. Nobody automatically declares war on the new master from this (it may alter the diplomatic situation enough that they will soon do so, but it is not automatic). Anyone who was at war with the new master before the capitulation will still be at war with them.

If a civ who is in a war becomes the vassal of someone who was not at war with them, then the war continues and everyone who was at war with the that civ is now at war with their new master too. It is the cost of accepting a civ that is at war as a voluntary vassal: the new master inherits the wars of the vassal.

4. Core Imposter

Core Imposter Deity

5. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch Chieftain

It's the water in the River Ribble that causes this. A quality answer probably lost on our American cousins :)

6. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

No need for a strategy article. Just lay down mostly cottages everywhere, with the occasional farm here and there for needed growth.

7. rogue131

what about where conquest is involved and such? Think traditional Dutch empire.

8. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

You obviously need some production cities, but once you get the tech that allows Universal Suffrage then you can use rushbuy, which when combined with gold multipliers and the Kremlin becomes a very powerful method of production. Though leveraging it requires you to reduce or even shut down your science rate so it takes some getting used to.

9. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Couldn't you just assign some cities to build wealth instead?

10. rogue131

I could, just thought it would be interesting to create a commercial empire like the Dutch or Venice?

11. ostrogoths

ostrogoths Chieftain

Can any good man explain to me how to calculate a fighting, and what's the meaning of first strike? or simply give me a link to a relavant hand book?

12. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

A guide on First strikes can be found here.

13. ostrogoths

ostrogoths Chieftain

thanks a lot. I understand now.

14. Lazani

Lazani Chieftain

Regarding overflow: When whipping and and planning overflow, does the next unit/building need to already be in the build queue to recieve it? :)

15. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

No, but make sure the next thing you put in the queue is something that can receive overflow hammers. If you put culture/wealth/research in the queue and don't rectify your mistake before ending the turn, the overflow hammers are lost.

16. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

No, overflow hammers into research/wealth/culture remains as overflow until the next buildable item is selected and it lasts indefinately with no chance of decay. Handy to pre build wonders before you have the tech to build them (or to wait till resources come online), or other improvements/units, someone posted about using it to build space parts before too.

17. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

Thanks for the correction. Am I thinking of hammers from chopping? Don't they get lost if you're building research/wealth/culture?

18. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

They are one and the same, overflow is stored while building wealth and chops into them get stored too. The GUI can be misleading though as it gives no indication of hammers being added to the city itself.

19. Lazani

Lazani Chieftain

Thanks Ghpstage and duckstab! :)

20. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

Well, I'm not always that interested in the details of far places on the planet if my hands are full back home. So maybe not. But in general, sure, why not?