Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hey guys, does anyone know how long a unit will keep it's hammers in the build queue? Let's say you want to upgrade some HA's but doesn't want them hanging around because of maintenance cost, could you then just pre-build 16 HA's until 1 turn left and have them wait until MT?

If a recently conquered city is still in contact with the enemies borders, a probability for revolt is given, does anyone know how this is determined?
Not sure, though it depends on the number and strength of units you put in the city, and the % split of the city tile. It may also be related to other things like population or city age... would be interested to hear from someone more in the know.

Does anyone know the probabilities for the random happenings like growing of forest/jungle, appearance of mining ressource on a mine square. The latter seems to be really low. I believe I get slightly less than one of those during a typical game.
Not sure about the probability of forest/jungle spreading... it does seem to happen more often than mining resources appearing, though that may just be due to the larger number of tiles adjacent to forests/jungles than worked mines, especially early on. I heard at some point that improvements like roads reduce (or remove) the chance of forest/jungle spreading to a tile, not sure if that's just a rumour or not. Would be interested to know though.

I do know that the probability of a mining resource appearing on a *worked* mine is 1 in 10000 per turn. This does not scale with game speed, so you will tend to see more resource pops in a marathon game than a normal one. Resources will never appear on mines that are not actively being worked by a citizen from a city.

And, most importantly, the spread of religions! I have frequently cursed the game, because after founding one of the really early religions it took 2000 years or more to spread to MY OWN cities, despite the cities being connected by river or road. I guess that's just another point against early religions, even on prince/monarch where you have a good chance when starting with mysticism.
Sometimes you can get unlucky; though it's unusual for the spreading to be this slow if you've got the trade connection done right. I've heard that the later religions are programmed to spread faster than the earlier ones, though I'm not sure if this is true or just a rumour. Early religions, when you've got enough neighbours connected by trade routes early on, can be a huge boon to relations (not to mention gold, once you have a Shrine)... so they can be well worth getting depending on the map.

OTOH failure of a missionary in foreign cities that have only one or two religions seesm quite rare.
I've seen the probabilities for this before in this thread, posted by Roland Johansen I think. I can't remember them exactly, but it's something like:

0 existing religions - 100% chance of spread
1 existing religion - ~90% chance
2 existing religions - ~80% chance

When you get to 5-6 religions, it's around a 50/50 (or less) chance to spread the next one. Hopefully someone else can provide the exact numbers.

Hey guys, does anyone know how long a unit will keep it's hammers in the build queue? Let's say you want to upgrade some HA's but doesn't want them hanging around because of maintenance cost, could you then just pre-build 16 HA's until 1 turn left and have them wait until MT?
On normal speed, hammers will begin to decay after 10 turns for units and after 50 turns for buildings/wonders. The rate of decay, as I recall, is something like a 2% loss per turn for units and a 1% loss per turn for buildings, rounded up (and the % values might be higher actually). I can't remember if these numbers scale with game speed or not, as it's been a while since I've played anything other than normal.

Prebuilding military units can be a good idea in some situations, though remember that when the upgraded unit becomes available it'll also cost more. Don't prebuild more than 10 turns before you'll want to switch back to the unit, or else you'll lose the hammers. Also, seriously consider whether it's worth prebuilding a unit 10 turns before you'll need it, rather than using the time to work towards another building to increase your growth/economy and building/whipping the unit later.

This resource appearing is interesting.. Last game in ~1200 turns I got 4 Gems, 1 Gold and copper in less than 30 "free mines".. I guess it was lucky game.

On normal speed, hammers will begin to decay after 10 turns for units and after 50 turns for buildings/wonders. The rate of decay, as I recall, is something like a 2% loss per turn for units and a 1% loss per turn for buildings, rounded up (and the % values might be higher actually). I can't remember if these numbers scale with game speed or not, as it's been a while since I've played anything other than normal.

Not scaling job, so be wary on marathon speed. 10 turns go really fast!

Is there a way to check who got the circumvent bonus (for proving the world is round) without checking the whole event log?

I've seen the probabilities for this before in this thread, posted by Roland Johansen I think. I can't remember them exactly, but it's something like:

0 existing religions - 100% chance of spread
1 existing religion - ~90% chance
2 existing religions - ~80% chance

When you get to 5-6 religions, it's around a 50/50 (or less) chance to spread the next one. Hopefully someone else can provide the exact numbers.
-9% chance per religion in city. That gives a 100-9*6=46% when spreading religion #7

Is there a way to check who got the circumvent bonus (for proving the world is round) without checking the whole event log?

There is a musical sound, along with a message that so-and-so has proven the world is round, when it happens. If you miss noticing that, then I am afraid you are stuck with looking through the event log.

Can paratroopers drop directly on and take an enemy city if it has no units present?
F
No. On the turn they parachute in they can not attack another unit or capture a city even if there are no enemy units present in the city. They can move some and maybe pillage (don't remember for sure).

Well, not in BtS with the last patch anyway; I think they may have been able to originally.

No. On the turn they parachute in they can not attack another unit or capture a city even if there are no enemy units present in the city. They can move some and maybe pillage (don't remember for sure).

Well, not in BtS with the last patch anyway; I think they may have been able to originally.

Cool. I didn't think so but thought I'd verify. It sure would have made taking Greece a little easier. ;)

Thank you though.
F

There is a musical sound, along with a message that so-and-so has proven the world is round, when it happens. If you miss noticing that, then I am afraid you are stuck with looking through the event log.

You could always figure it out based on default movement points of ships, and then seeing who has +1 added to that total.

You can build only 1 unit in a city. After 10 turns not building the unit you lost in every turn 1 :hammers:.

:nono:

You can't drop in a city, but , if the city has no visible units, you can drop 1 tile to the side of the city and move there to capture it.

Tried and tested :p

:nono:

You can't drop in a city, but , if the city has no visible units, you can drop 1 tile to the side of the city and move there to capture it.

Tried and tested :p

A caveat to my original question, :mischief: I'm currently playing the Road to War mod. I'll ask questions like that on the noob thread here from time to time because I can usually get a quicker answer than on the dedicated RtW forum. Since asking I've learned that in RtW, they cannot. Sorry if I created any confusion.
:crazyeye:
F

I can't seem to make anything related to space. I'm playing only conquest victory condition.

I can't make a satellite, spaceship parts. I have completed the tech tree. Is it because i'm not playing space race?

Have you built the Apollo Program? It's a pre-requisite for building spaceship parts.

Top Bottom