1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Most of the mods that are based on the RevDCM platform include this option. Legends of Revolution is the best of these, IMHO, but there are many to choose from.

2. Ohara

Ohara Chieftain

Quick question from a new player,

I'm playing a game on a map with four big islands/continents, I've taken over my island completely so I launch a strike on the Portuguese who hold the east coast of the nearest island to my west.

Anyway, after a long fought war I managed to conquer all their lands and cities, all is well, then two turns after I'v taken control of all their cities, *boom* suddenly the dutch spawn and get all my cities on the new island and they are now my vassal state.

I know there are some sort of colony system which I'm not familiar with but for all my cities on the new continent to switch hands at the blink of an eye after I just conquered them to a new civ seems pretty strange+ I was planning to for those new cities to be my base for wiping out the Koreans who hold the western part of that island and are my only serious competition.

3. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

You must have accidentally clicked the colonize button (bottom right on the city summary screen). Even though you have the option to colonize your cities won't form colonies on their own accord.
    EDIT: Your vassal's land might actually become a base for your later war-plans too (with the exception of unit upgrades). E.g. you'll be able to fly in units, and it counts as friendly land for healing purposes. And of course it saves you maintenance.

4. Mukersman

Mukersman Chieftain

I've actually posted this in the official BTS mods subforum, but I figure this thread would get more traffic? Is there a way to play RFC or other BTS scenarios and disable worldbuilder? Or any of the other options in the options list that is there when you create a custom game?

While this option is available for the regular game + BTS, there is no menu that allows me to set this option for RFC, so I'm looking for a way around that.

5. umplebilk

umplebilk Chieftain

I have CIV IV the Complete edition and the only game that seems to be on the DVD or that I can access and play is Colonization. Does anyone have any insight into this.?

Windows Vista

Thanks

6. cevarez

cevarez Chieftain

Thanks. I belived that it could be done modding any XML file. So, this is most complex than i think it.

7. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

I see. I'm not actually familiar with the RFC mod but I know that some mods do disable "lock modified assets" (it doesn't add anything to the game-play per se, as long as you don't use the worldbuilder). These mods would typically start up by looping though all custom game options and setting them to false so easy solutions like editing the .ini file won't help you there. I guess you can 1. do what you already did and post the question in the the RFC mod thread or 2. mod it in yourself or as a workaround 3. not use the worldbuilder?

8. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

I have no idea why this would happen, but to see if you just can't find it look in C:/ (your main drive) Program Files/ and see if a Firaxis or 2K folder is there (I can't remember which one Complete uses) and open that up and look for the Civ IV folder in that, and in that you'll find the shortcut to open Civ IV, and folders to Warlords and BtS with the shortcuts to those.

WARNING, however, don't mess with the files in there!! Or else it won't work properly.

9. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Someone else recently posted a similar problem. It turned out that the shortcut had not been installed. Following the procedure Jwitti states above, if you don't find the shortcut there, look into the CIV folder and find the application. Then use the right click menu to install a shortcut.

10. Yaksha

Yaksha Chieftain

Hello :) quick question on war/diplomacy

If I pay/trade techs with another civ for them to declare war on a 3rd civ, does the 3rd civ know that I've requested that? ie are they going to hate me for it?

11. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

Yes, you will get a diplo hit for "bringing in a war ally against them". They'll always know it was you.

12. nfw

nfw King

How do I make sure ivory is evenly distributed across all continents?

13. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Only way I can think of is to use the Full of Resources map script and select a specific level of Ivory across the board. Ivory isn't considered a strategic resource for the Balanced script, even though AIs treat it like it is.

14. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Do someone know how AI reacts with "Why don't you attack..." ?
    Do they obey all the time? Why are they attacking a city passing by the path they planned and get stuck with it?

15. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

Although if (as mentioned elsewhere) you do this as a precursor to stabbing the 2nd civ, you get "mutual military struggle" diplomacy benefits from the 3rd civ - even though the whole mess is entirely your fault.

16. Duosdabergo

Duosdabergo Chieftain

I'm playing BTS. Sometimes, certain buildings produce double culture - but not in every city. Note: in my example, free speech, though it would be irrelevant, is not yet available.

Example: I have a game with the arabs, I have 5 cities, all of them have a madrasa. I have a state religion (it says in the description that you need it) so they should all give +4 culture. Really neat, because I'm quite built in by other civs. Now two of those madrasas actually give +8 culture, the other three give +4 culture. In addition, I noticed that my mahabodhi and stonehenge also give double culture (+8 and +16 respectively), whilst all other buildings in that city give the normal culture bonuses (palace +4, monument +1, madrasa +4). The same happens in the two cities with +8 madrasas, the monument gives +1, not +2.

I have no idea how this can happen, is it a bug, is it a feature, is it predictable?

17. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

Can you attach a savegame? It doesn't seem that way from the description, but are cathedrals involved?

18. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Once a building has existed for 1000 years the base culture doubles. This only happens once for any building, as in it doesn't double again after 2000 years.
    Civics, buildings, state religions nor culture multipliers have any impact on this.

19. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

To me they generally don't obey unless I select the most obvious attack target for them (the one closest to their stack).

20. Lord_Herobrine

Lord_Herobrine Back in the Saddle

Hey, I was playing a game as Caesar and was wondering how I can take a screenshot? There's no specialized keys for it on my keyboard. My computer i hink is a 2007 Hp Pavilion (I think. i know its crappy anyway :( )