Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

And this was a change from previous versions of Civ.

When YOU discover that tech :)
I had games where I was leader of UN and AP same time just because i skip Mass Media :D

Thanks. So I guessing in your game someone else had built the UN?

If you capture a city with wonders in it you don't have the technology for are they useless wonders until that technology is discovered?

Thanks. So I guessing in your game someone else had built the UN?

If you capture a city with wonders in it you don't have the technology for are they useless wonders until that technology is discovered?

I have had games where I was both the AP leader and the UN leader. You can be both without owning the city for either one, if your population is high enough to make you the alternate candidate and you manage your diplomacy well enough to get the most votes. Been there, done that.

If you capture a wonder you get the benefits because they come from the wonder, not the tech needed to build it. Also been there, done that.

Do super medics have an experience cap? Every time I create a super medic it stops gaining exp at 25/26. No matter how many battles it never reaches 26. This happens regardless of the unit. Anyone else encounter this?

Do super medics have an experience cap? Every time I create a super medic it stops gaining exp at 25/26. No matter how many battles it never reaches 26. This happens regardless of the unit. Anyone else encounter this?
Theres no limit unless your fighting barbs or animals, where the limit is 10 or 5 respectively.

Is your medic actually off by itself fighting the battles? Once it's in a stack, it's almost never the defender.

I used to get frustrated with getting stuck at 25XP also. My go-to medic is an Explorer with Combat I, Medic I/II/III, and Morale. Barring AGG or CHA, that requires 26XP, but my supermedic was usually whatever Scout survived early animal encounters and made it up to the 5XP cap. (Attach a GG for 20 more, then upgraded at Compass.) But since I would avoid having him fight (being my medic and all) he would never get to 26 for Morale. I eventually learned to have him wander around and look for a barb Warrior and try to sucker him into attacking on a forested hill. If he lived, he's got at least the 6XP needed for later. If he died- meh, make another Scout.

My super medic is usually a chariot,knight or a melee unit. I don't expect SM get exp from defense. But when attacking with a Sod I use SM on the last weakest enemy unit to gain exp. Even after several battles the SM gains nothing beyond 25.

I have had super medics with EP in the 30s. I usually use a horse archer who made it to 10 EP before becoming a super medic. Since I don't risk them after that, I don't know if they can get higher numbers but I don't see why not.

How can i remove a pw for a pbem game once set?

Assuming you have the admin password just enter that one for the player whose pw you want changed. Then in the turn set the password empty, save, and send that savegame to the new player.

Is your medic actually off by itself fighting the battles? Once it's in a stack, it's almost never the defender.

I used to get frustrated with getting stuck at 25XP also. My go-to medic is an Explorer with Combat I, Medic I/II/III, and Morale. Barring AGG or CHA, that requires 26XP, but my supermedic was usually whatever Scout survived early animal encounters and made it up to the 5XP cap. (Attach a GG for 20 more, then upgraded at Compass.) But since I would avoid having him fight (being my medic and all) he would never get to 26 for Morale. I eventually learned to have him wander around and look for a barb Warrior and try to sucker him into attacking on a forested hill. If he lived, he's got at least the 6XP needed for later. If he died- meh, make another Scout.
I think MM has your problem. Conventional wisdom is to use a scout as your supermedic so it's the last unit in your stack to defend and thus only gets killed if your whole stack is wiped out. However, that means it's never going to get any more experience (since it can't attack and will almost never defend). That's why I defy CW and don't use scouts as my supermedics. Using them to kill the last defender at >99% odds builds up the experience. One route to go is use a mounted unit as your supermedic. The other is to start with a warrior or axeman who's started through the woodsmans promotion series with the aim of eventually getting a super-doooper medic (W-3, M-3 (w/ C-1, and Morale and Leadership eventually)). In my current game, my super-dooper medic has over 80 xp. Fun times. (I created a second supermedic with a cur to support my cur stack, but he got killed when I attacked with to few curs in the stack. So I had to create a third supermedic (cur) to support my mounted stack.)

I think MM has your problem. Conventional wisdom is to use a scout as your supermedic so it's the last unit in your stack to defend and thus only gets killed if your whole stack is wiped out. However, that means it's never going to get any more experience (since it can't attack and will almost never defend). That's why I defy CW and don't use scouts as my supermedics. Using them to kill the last defender at >99% odds builds up the experience. One route to go is use a mounted unit as your supermedic. The other is to start with a warrior or axeman who's started through the woodsmans promotion series with the aim of eventually getting a super-doooper medic (W-3, M-3 (w/ C-1, and Morale and Leadership eventually)). In my current game, my super-dooper medic has over 80 xp. Fun times. (I created a second supermedic with a cur to support my cur stack, but he got killed when I attacked with to few curs in the stack. So I had to create a third supermedic (cur) to support my mounted stack.)
Yeah, I always use a mounted unit, usually a chariot, for exactly this reason--Scouts/Explorers can't attack so you have to go out of your way and take some chances with them to get them the additional XPs to get to that final level.

The (rare) exception to using a mounted unit is if one of my early exploring Warriors (with Woodsman I/II) gets the random event that grants him the Leadership promotion, making it easier for that unit to climb up the medical promotions (Woodsy III, Combat I, Medic I/II/III).

I was the one that got the last few posts started about super medics. Not being able to get the medic above 25exp. I prefer using a chariot for the medic since it gets no defense bonus and has 2 movement. The scout /explorer is ok, but in the worst possible situation it can't attack. Chariots can be acquired early in the game. I build 2 to be ready for a super medic. Warriors are also good early, gaining woodman bonuses added with medic promos. I like placing a warrior medic with a SOD, chariot medic with a stack of mounted units. I send SOD into enemy land to capture cities, mounted stack to harass the enemy and pillage resources. My highest lvl victory thus far is monarch, but I've found these tactics work well. PS. Congrats Lennier on your milestone 500th post.

I have never seen that. I always take a weakened defender with my Medic when possible and it always gives an extra Experience Point.

Not medic related, but a great way to level up catapults is to whittle down a defender so that you have >99% chance of withdraw (since catapults can't kill). Catapults get XP from withdrawing successfully, so you can get some free XP for ALL of your available catapults before you finally send a unit to take out that one last defender.

I like to keep a handful of catapults just for bombarding, so these are the ones I try to level up like that if possible.

They gain xp fine for me, are you sure you weren't fighting barbs?

Considering that I was battling Ai civs, yeah I'm sure I wasn't fighting barbs. Like I said, medics stop gaining exp at 25. I'm playing base civ4 complete edition bts. No patches, no mods. My PC is offline so I can't download patches or anything else.

Why does the game never end before 3835BC (or possibly turn 11, it was on Marathon)? Is it a bug or deliberately built in?

Why does the game never end before 3835BC (or possibly turn 11, it was on Marathon)? Is it a bug or deliberately built in?

I don't know about game-end specifically, but there are several things that don't happen before T10, maybe this is what you're seeing.

Out of curiosity, how are you trying to finish that early? Starting Warrior-rushing a close AI on a Tiny Duel map maybe?

Top Bottom