Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Turning commerce into hammers;is it viable to run cash for awile, crank some sort of cheap unit from a disconnected city like warriors, then upgrade those en masse to a modern unit? Cant find any numbers on this.

Cataphract887 said:
Turning commerce into hammers;is it viable to run cash for awile, crank some sort of cheap unit from a disconnected city like warriors, then upgrade those en masse to a modern unit? Cant find any numbers on this.

Upgrading a unit costs 3*(Cost in hammers of new unit - cost in hammers of old unit) +25 gold. Buying a unit simply costs (3*hammer cost) gold, and less if you have the Kremlin. Upgrading a unit is therefore going to cost slightly more than just buying it outright - its a method of preserving promoted units, but not a cheap one.

So no, you're better off just buying the modern unit outright than going via an upgrade route.

Thanks just what i was looking for

That is very inefficient.

You get 1 gold for each hammer you invest in 'build wealth'
The cost of upgrading is 3 gold per hammer* plus a nominal fee of 20. (*the difference in hammers it costs to build the original unit and the unit into which you upgrade).

So you're effectively getting about 1/3th of a hammer for every hammer invested into wealth if you use this gold to upgrade troops.

There is an advantage in that you can instantly get a more modern army when you reach a more advanced military technology. But it's not efficient.

If you want to get gold for upgrading, then it's more efficient to get well developed cottages, banks, grocers and markets and temporarily use a high gold rate (and thus low science rate). A great merchant who performs a trade mission can also get a nice amount of money. Many players find upgrading inefficient and thus don't upgrade all their troops. I use the aggressive AI setting and then it's more important to have a strong modern army to scare off the aggressive AI, so I upgrade a lot of troops.

edit: Too slow.

Like most games, Civilization 4 uses the SHIFT key to queue things. You can queue unit orders, building orders and research orders.
On the menu where you are able to select a new tech to research or on the "Let's See The Big Picture" screen?
Thanks for your other help.

Did people used to complain about the Palace additions screen or something?

On the menu where you are able to select a new tech to research or on the "Let's See The Big Picture" screen?
Thanks for your other help.

On the "Let's See The Big Picture" screen where you can see the complete tech tree.

Unless the old unit has acquired valuable promotions not available to the new unit. I'm not good enough yet to plan for this sort of thing, but some people mention it occasionally.

Definitely. Nursing your macemen up to City Raider 3 and then upgrading to riflemen, then infantry, gives you a huge advantage in the era before tanks.

How do you do it? Okay, I get how you can just cut and paste one in like this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=275734

and I see the icon above this text box that with let me do it like this

But none of the buttons seem to give me the ability to say check this out HERE and have someone click the "here" and have it take you somewhere, the way, for example, Bleys does HERE:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6878327#post6878327

So, how you do dat? :dunno:

Here's one to kill my credibility as anything other than perma-noob. :D But hey, it's only an anonymous post about something that's only a game right? :goodjob:

I seem to remember icons on cities on the main map screen that indicated biggest hammer producer, beaker leader and cash cow or something. Not sure what's become of them.

My question: some towns have a little silver star and...what is it telling me again?

I'm thinking of a recent game with a kind of odd duck city that's been whipped alot but will grow into a major production center if I can feed everyone to work those bare hills... He's not the hammer leader now, though, neither base nor modified. Can't be a religious founding city, right? He came too late. So why does he get the star? :confused:

It means the city has a center of geverment in it. AKA Forbiden Palace or Versailles. All cities around that city get reduced mantince costs.

How do you do it? Okay, I get how you can just cut and paste one in like this:

and I see the icon above this text box that with let me do it like this

But none of the buttons seem to give me the ability to say check this out HERE and have someone click the "here" and have it take you somewhere, the way, for example, Bleys does HERE:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6878327#post6878327

So, how you do dat? :dunno:

Use the [url] and [/url] tags; for example, [url=www.civfanatics.com]CivFanatics[/url].

Question: For the Ironworks bonus must the iron/coal be in the city's fat cross or must the city just have access to them?

Question: For the Ironworks bonus must the iron/coal be in the city's fat cross or must the city just have access to them?
Access is sufficient.

Here's one to kill my credibility as anything other than perma-noob. :D But hey, it's only an anonymous post about something that's only a game right? :goodjob:

Yes, it is only an anonymous post about something that's only a game. And yes, that is a mega-newby question. ;)

Search not working for me on this one, how do you open the combat log? (log is too short a word to search and combat is returning a little bit more results than I need)

Search not working for me on this one, how do you open the combat log? (log is too short a word to search and combat is returning a little bit more results than I need)

There is a button just above the science rate control in the main screen which opens up the turn logs. The original one that opens is the event log, but this screen has multiple tabs and one of them shows the combat log.

You can also open up these logs by pressing CTRL-TAB.

Muchas gracias, amigo. That's gonna help my understanding of the combat system a lot.

Top Bottom