Quick Questions and Answers

I am still having problems with my in game hub disappearing when I browse the available mod downloads. It stays up longer than before the patch but it still goes away??? Is there something I missed or is this still a problem? Anybody else?

Can an archer unit upgrade to crossbowman and then directly to infantry without researching 'rifling' tech?

No. To upgrade existing units, you have to go one step at a time up the line. You would be able to build new infantry, but not upgrade existing units to infantry until you had rifling.

It says on the popup when you find natural wonders that you get happiness from a city near them. What does this mean? Is it a city within X tiles, or do you need you culture to expand onto them?

It says on the popup when you find natural wonders that you get happiness from a city near them. What does this mean? Is it a city within X tiles, or do you need you culture to expand onto them?

Natural wonders give +1 happiness when they are discovered by you. The only benefit of settling near them it so you can work the decent 2:c5production: 3:c5gold: un-improvable, impassable tile (equivalent to a trading post improved riverside hill tile). There is no additional happiness benefit for "having a city near" as suggested in the game documentation.

I have a questions about workers:

If you set them on automation, do they build roads?

If you have railroad technology, do you really have to change your roads to railways?
I would be cool if workers did that automatically. :king:

I THINK Earth map is a map that looks a bit like the real world. All map types (as far as I am aware) wrap left / right.
Most do unless it goes against the point of the map. East vs. West, 4 corners and the like do not wrap
I have a questions about workers:

If you set them on automation, do they build roads?

If you have railroad technology, do you really have to change your roads to railways?
I would be cool if workers did that automatically. :king:
Yes.

You don't have to change your roads to rails, but each city that has a rail connection to the capital gets a 50% production bonus.

How do I use Suleiman's Unique Ability?

I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that you have to like, pull up alongside a barbarian naval unit and 'park' there or something? Do you have to end the turn there? Or do you have to spend a full turn next to them, like when you fortify?

I just figured you had to attack them, but I guess not.

How do I use Suleiman's Unique Ability?

I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that you have to like, pull up alongside a barbarian naval unit and 'park' there or something? Do you have to end the turn there? Or do you have to spend a full turn next to them, like when you fortify?

I just figured you had to attack them, but I guess not.

Just sail up next to them. You don't have to park or anything. If they "convert", they do it immediately. If they don't "convert" initially, they won't ever, not with the same ship or with any other. That's what I've experienced , at least.

hi everyone.. sorry if this have been answered but well i don't even know how to search for it.. well i have Civ V and when you start a game either on on the mode to simply start a game or on set up game, the civilization are not in a place where they would be in real world like American in North America, or Elizabeth on UK or the Arabic on Saudi Arabia.. I know this is a game but does anyone know a way, a script or a pre made map to make them start on their position in the real world?.. well.. i think that's it.. thank you in advance.. cheers ( if anyone saw this post in other forum I'm not spamming or anything i was just redirected here because i posted it in the wrong forum and i didn't saw any reason to rewrite another post.. )

Yes.

You don't have to change your roads to rails, but each city that has a rail connection to the capital gets a 50% production bonus.

Yeah but is it best to replace them with railroads or build them alongside the roads?

Also, do they automatically build the railroads (alongside the roads or replace)?

And do the workers build roads (or railroads) outside your influence ring?

hi everyone.. sorry if this have been answered but well i don't even know how to search for it.. well i have Civ V and when you start a game either on on the mode to simply start a game or on set up game, the civilization are not in a place where they would be in real world like American in North America, or Elizabeth on UK or the Arabic on Saudi Arabia.. I know this is a game but does anyone know a way, a script or a pre made map to make them start on their position in the real world?.. well.. i think that's it.. thank you in advance.. cheers ( if anyone saw this post in other forum I'm not spamming or anything i was just redirected here because i posted it in the wrong forum and i didn't saw any reason to rewrite another post.. )

You'll have to wait until someone makes a mod to have an Earth map with exact starting locations. The next best thing is culturally linked starting locations. This is where the countries in the game are at least placed in proximity to their real world counterparts: so if you're England and France and Japan are in the game; France will start close to you but Japan will be further away. As of now Civ V does not have this either.

Yeah but is it best to replace them with railroads or build them alongside the roads?

Also, do they automatically build the railroads (alongside the roads or replace)?

And do the workers build roads (or railroads) outside your influence ring?

If you're doing it yourself, it's best to build whatever railroads you want to have on top of existing roads, otherwise you're paying upkeep on both. It does not remove the road during construction (like it does when replacing other improvements), and any trade routes remain in place.

Workers do build railroads when automated, usually where you would expect but sometimes their path algorithm is a bit odd. They're not always on existing roads so your upkeep might not end up as low as possible, and overall they might build more than your economy needs or can easily support.

Automated workers will build (rail)roads outside your influence to link up your cities, but not for other reasons, afaik.

Personally I never use worker automation, they don't end up doing what I want them to more than half the time.

You'll have to wait until someone makes a mod to have an Earth map with exact starting locations. The next best thing is culturally linked starting locations. This is where the countries in the game are at least placed in proximity to their real world counterparts: so if you're England and France and Japan are in the game; France will start close to you but Japan will be further away. As of now Civ V does not have this either.

hey. thank you.. i wish i knew how to do mods.. i would try to do that myself.. ( saying this before seeing how to do is probably much naive ^^ ).. can anyone tell me how to do a mod or at least give me a link or something like that to how to do mods? and is it that hard? thank you .. cheers

--Edit--
well i was trying to learn how to do a mod and before everything i got to this page http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/14/top-10-civilization-v-mods/ that seem to have a list of mods, and the first is the one i wanted.. hopefully this will show other some mods they would like.. cheers

I think I don't have alluminium on my map. Is this a problem?
No, not really. You'll be missing out on: Helicopter Gunship, Jet Fighter, Missile Cruiser, Mobile SAM, Modern Armor, Rocket Artillery, Stealth Bomber, Nuclear Submarine, also
Hydro Plant, Spaceship Factory.
All of the above is the endgame stuff, and tbh by then you can win by massing Mech Infantry...

I think I don't have alluminium on my map. Is this a problem?

Do you mean there's none on the map at all, or just none under your control? Aluminium is not critical to have, but it's needed for a lot of the nice late-game units and the hydro plant. Oh, and as Guardian_PL pointed out, spaceship factories too - very useful in your production cities if going for science victory.

How do resources across water work? I've built a city on a one hex island with iron. How do I get this iron resource to hook up with my capitol on the mainland? I have built a harbor but it doesn't seem to be the solution.:confused:

It does not remove the road during construction (like it does when replacing other improvements), and any trade routes remain in place.

But seeing as the road stays even when you build a railroad on top of it, doesn't that mean you have to pay maintenance for both?
I've been trying to figure it out in my current game, but, alas, empire's too big by now and any effort to extract meaningful information from my economic advisor on a turn-to-turn basis gets lost in bureaucracy...

But seeing as the road stays even when you build a railroad on top of it, doesn't that mean you have to pay maintenance for both?
I've been trying to figure it out in my current game, but, alas, empire's too big by now and any effort to extract meaningful information from my economic advisor on a turn-to-turn basis gets lost in bureaucracy...

I think what clearbeard meant was that the road does not automatically disappear as soon as you START building a RR on the tile. With most improvement changes, the old improvement is destroyed immediately but the new improvement takes however many worker turns to finish. Not so with RR over roads. I think the roads disappear when the RR is finished on that tile. Note, there is no longer a worker action icon to remove the road, only to remove the railroad.

How do resources across water work? I've built a city on a one hex island with iron. How do I get this iron resource to hook up with my capitol on the mainland? I have built a harbor but it doesn't seem to be the solution.:confused:

Harbor should do it as long as you also have a harbor on the same landmass as the capitol and that is connected to the capitol (via road or RR). Or else you need a harbor in the capitol itself (which seems kind of wasteful, but if you gotta do it, then do it).

Note, you could have all these conditions fulfilled and still not get the resource if either harbor is blockaded by the presence of enemy naval vessels.

You could also have the resource, but it shows Zero at the top screen because you are consuming it all with units, buildings, or trades.

Top Bottom