QuizTime: Warning - don't scroll down.

retro V

Prince
WARNING, ANSWERS MAY BE POSTED BELOW.

Just in case you wanted to test your own knowledge before seeing the answers. I ask anyone who wants a go at this to post their answers in spoiler tags, if you know how, so as to give the next readers a fair chance. Any other comments may remain visible, of course.

Anyway, what am I on about? :crazyeye:

Well, I finished (retired) my first game of FfH2. My leadership skills were on a par with Tweedledee. But who the hell were the rest of those guys on that list?

I got some of them, quite a few actually, shows what a geek I am no doubt.

How many references to fantasy fiction can you identify?

OP and affiliates of FfH2 design team exempt from competition.
All registered trademarks, copyrights and other legal stuff are not yours, they belong to someone else, someone with more money and lawyers than you or I, and are duly noted.
There is no prize, except maybe title of Biggest Bookworm/Nerd.

And if I may ask again, if at all possible, please post your answers in spoiler tags. Wouldn't be any fun otherwise.

[tab]I don't know who 3 of them are, I just trusted the team when they said they are cool fantasy figures. So 17 out of 20 for me, and I consider myself a pretty big fantasy nerd.

[tab]Here's the list of all the ones I know:

Spoiler :

Cthulhu- One of Lovecrafts greatest creations. Anyone who can appear on t-shirts with the saying "my god can beat up your god" and as a lovable plush toy is okay by me.

Lord Asriel- Dont know.

Belgarath- Hero of the Belgariad. A series written by David Eddings.

Rand Al'Thor- Main character of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

Raistlin Majere- Mage the Dragonlance series by Margeret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I actually read the 2nd book in this series in one day I loved it so much. We had a lot of talk about who should represent this series. Personally I would have preferred Tasslehoff but I had to agree with the team when they pointed out that Tasselhoff is cool, but not much of a leader.
[tab]The most influential series for my D&D game was another Weis and Hickman creation, the Death Gate cycle. It was so pervasive (aka: I stole so many concepts from it) that my players were forbidden from reading it. What impressed me most was the the world detail. The series actually has footnotes on a lot of the pages, little details about aspects of the world and culture. That detail was what I wanted to make, and most of the reason the FfH is as detailed as it is. There are still a few details from those books that have survived all the translations and are in the mod. Most notably the Nexus wonder is a place in the Death Gate cycle, and the whole story of the Bannor is taken from the backstory of the series were the protagonists people were trapped and escaped from a deadly laberinth.

Aslan- The giant lion in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Many people don't know that CS Lewis (the series author) was a christian author and Aslan was a metaphor for christ. It is more than just a symbolic link, the tale of Aslan is a direct retelling of the story of christ. And CS Lewis's attempt to indoctroniate/entertain children with the story of christ.

Tyrion- Dont know.

Cloud- The hero of Final Fantasy VII, one of my favorite video games and one of the first examples of the genres ability to tell a story with resonence.

Elric- Protagonist of the Meliborune saga by Michael Moorcock.

Fin MacCool- Dont know.

Pug- Protagonist of the Magician series by Raymond Feist.

Tim the Enchanter- Woot! The fireball flinging character of Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail.

Minsc- One of the characters in the Baldurs Gate video game. He was a crazed warrior with a pet space hampster named Boo! Somehow Minsc seems alone on the list without Boo.

Link- The actual name of the hero in the Zelda games (in a bit of confusing marketing Zelda is actually the name of the hero Link is usually questing for).

Roderick Usher- I think Chalid came up with this one to class up our list a little. It is from the Fall of the House of User by Edgar Allen Poe.

Guybrush Threepwood- The team indulged me with this. Guybrush is the hero of the Monkey Island video games.

Sir Robin- Another character from Monty Pythin and the Quest for the Holy Grail.

Tweedledee- From Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass.

Only know 15 out of 20 myself and I thought I was a fantasy nerd

Alright, I'll take a stab at it.
retro V said:
But who the hell were the rest of those guys on that list?
Spoiler :

Cthulhu- something to do with a horror/fantasy type thingamabob? I know I've heard of it...
Lord Asriel- no idea
Belgarath- likewise
Rand Al'Thor- I believe the proper spelling is "al'Thor," no capitalization :p. Wheel of Time hero (I won't say any more for fear of spoiling it for people who haven't read through the series)
Raistlin Majere- gazundheit
Aslan- isn't this the name of that lion from the Chronicles of Narnia?
Tyrion Lannister- no idea, but a catchy sounding name...
Cloud- LOL BIG SR0WD!!! Heh, I loved that game... ought to bust it out again.
Elric- sounds vaguely Elfish
Fin MacCool- what's this, a talking fish?
Pug- these dogs look fugly. Is this referring to a different context?
Tim the Enchanter- don't know, but he must not be that bright if he can't think of a better name for himself
Ozma- the big colorful globe-boss in FFIX? The first organized search for ET? Not sure.
Tom Bombadil- Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadil-lo! Something like that, right?
Minsc- looks more like a typo than a name
Link- another hero that seems to lose all his equipment between adventures. The other is Samus
Roderick Usher- sounds familiar...
Guybrush Threepwood- poor guy couldn't grow a beard... liked the pirate insult mini-game though. That, and "Hey, look! A three-headed monkey!"
Sir Robin- Eh?

I didn't know a whole lot of them, but I tried...

anyone else see that list and think "what, no Drizz't?" hehe

my attempt

Spoiler :

Cthulhu- Lovecraft
Lord Asriel- Pullmans His dark materials
Belgarath- eddings the belgariard
Rand Al'Thor- wheel of time
Raistlin Majere- Dragonlance (Yea)
Aslan- Chronicles of Narnia
Tyrion Lannister- no idea
Cloud- FFH VII.
Elric- Moorcock
Fin MacCool- celtic hero
Pug- of midkemia
Tim the Enchanter- monty python
Ozma- dont know
Tom Bombadil- LOTR
Minsc- no idea
Link- zelda
Roderick Usher- dont know
Guybrush Threepwood- don't know
Sir Robin- monty python
Tweddledee- Alice in wonder land

Spoiler :
Belgarath, really old wizard, grandfather of the hero family from David Eddings' books (can't remember the name of the series or their titles).

Raistlin Majere, thought he was the sorcerous evil twin brother from the Dragonlance series, never heard of 'Gazundheit'.

Aslan, pussycat from Narnia, but now I'm thinking it's got a 'd' in it somewhere, like Asnand, maybe.

Cloud, Cloud Strife, who else? FFVII.

Pug, the young boy that grew into the most powerful wizard ever then changed his name, from Raymond E. Feist's Wizard.

Tom Bombadil, weirdo with the fit daughter in Fellowship of the Rings, Tolkien's version only. Never made it into the 3 hour movie.

Minsc, had a rat named Boo, Baldur's Gate.

Link, excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Princess.

Tweedledee, Tweedledum's equally rotund brother from Alice through the Looking Glass, or In Wonderland as Walt Disney would have us believe.

Fin MacCool is the greatest ass kicker to ever be found in a book. :)

I might have known 10 of them

Chand didn't know sir Robin? Brave, brave sir Robin? Who had nearly wet himself at the battle of something or other? When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled, oh brave brave braaaaaave brave sir Robin?

One hundred spankings for you!

A dissappointing 8, acutally 9, out of 20!! I'm a bit ashamed as it is not for want of reading...
It might be 10, if....

Spoiler :
Cthulu. No brainer: one by Philip Howard Lovecraft who started the whole cthulu mythos

Belgarath: David Eddings (and Leigh Eddings), the sorcerer who serves the god Aldur in the book series the Belgariad and Mallorean

Tom Bombadil: do your basics-> LotR, crazy forest dweller

Minsc: is this the baldur's gate 1 and 2 berserker with a miniature giant space hamster? I think it is!

Tim the Enchanter: this one is a monthy python character from "the quest for the holy grail movie", knows fire spells

Sir Robin, a nice Eric Idle in the same movie as a cowardly knight of the round table.

Pug: the original name of the magician Milamber in Raymond E. Feists Magician. Main character.

Elric: of Melniboné? By Michael Moorcock. Wielding the parasitical sword stormbringer

Tyrion Lannister: of all the characters in the song of Ice and Fire... they take this one. Why not one of the Starks?

Is Link from the zelda game? prolly not :/

Shame Kael, you haven't read the George R.R. Martin!

Spoiler :

Cthulhu - elder god/cuttlefish who will eat the world when he awakens
Lord Asriel - Lyra's father in His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman - leads a successful revolution against the tyranny of God. (And also the name of the angel of death, as I recall)
Belgarath - The 5000 year old sorceror from David Eddings' fantasy epics "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean" (Why isn't this Belgarion, the main hero of the epic?)
Rand Al'Thor - Rand son of Thor. The Dragon Reborn, destined to lead the forces of the Light at Tarmon Gai'don
Raistlin Majere - don't know
Tyrion Lannister - don't know
Cloud - Cloud Strife. If you've ever heard of Final Fantasy, this seems to have been the most popular hero of the series.
Elric - Of the Elric saga, which I haven't actually read, but my ex-girlfriend did.
Fin MacCool - Don't know
Pug - Don't know
Tim the Enchanter - Throws fireballs around all willy-nilly and leads the Knights of the Round Table to their ill-fated encounter with the rabbit.
Ozma - Ruler of the land of Oz.
Tom Bombadil - The hobbits encounter him in the forest outside the shire. They have lunch, or such together. Statements imply that Tom Bombadil has godlike powers, but chooses not to use them.
Minsc - the best friend of Boo, the miniature giant space hamster. One of his quick-item slots can never be used, because boo is there.
Link - he come to town, he came to save, the princess zelda
Roderick Usher - I swear I've seen that name before, but I don't know where.
Guybrush Threepwood - Hero of Monkey Island
(brave) Sir Robin - ran away
Tweedledee - If you don't know this, explain to me how you have grown up in this era without learning the story of Alice in Wonderland.

Firestrom said:
Tyrion Lannister is from A game of Thrones (Book by George R.R. Martin)

I'm glad SOMEONE got this, as it happens to be one of the most powerfuly written dramas that dabble in fantastic settings I know. And tyrion, the stunted dwarf is the coolest.

On A song of Ice and Fire... (Which has Tyrion in it)

Read this. THis is a gritty book. It takes your assumptions about fantasy and chucks them out the nearest window.

Good guys aren't always good, bad guys aren't always bad, you learn to root for the a**hole. You pity the pretty, you yearn for blood and vengence more than honor or nobility, and lastly but not least, he (the writer) kills the characters you love with wonton disregard to your feelings. It's great.

For Informational purposes. ASoI&F (A song of Ice and Fire) is:
*A setting of Low Magic (Magic is VERY rare, VERY powerful, and VERY mysterious)
*A Setting resembling Medival Europe's Dark Ages (not golden shinining renesiance)
*Creates a very personlized feeling, the events of the world affect the characters more than vica versa - though it IS very dynamic.
*Currently 4 books in length of the series, scheduled (assumed) to be 7 total upon completion.
*Story Revolves around multiple characters at very different places at any given "moment" though time is not calculated normally. Chapters are not always done chronologically, and there are no chapter titles, each chapter title is a Name, that Name is the current character whos experiances you partake in - overlaping happens alot.
*You WILL throw the book across the room at one point if you read it.
*It will make you angry.
*It will make you sad.
*It will make you slaver for more.

-Qes

P.s. "And then she woke up blind." :(

EDIT: TItles of books are as follows.
1 - A game of thrones.
2 - A Clash of Kings
3 - A Storm of Swords
4 - A Feast for Crows
5 (not yet out) - A Dance of Dragons

Spoiler :