Random Rants LX: I wish to register a complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing Brooks doesn't like survives the apocalypse.

Oh this writing goes beyond simple "I don't like it, therefore I'll kill it". The way he describes the military makes it painfully apparent he did not hire a military advisor to assist him with that part of the book. Or, if he did hire a military advisor, he hired the absolute worst one available.

Oh this writing goes beyond simple "I don't like it, therefore I'll kill it". The way he describes the military makes it painfully apparent he did not hire a military advisor to assist him with that part of the book. Or, if he did hire a military advisor, he hired the absolute worst one available.

To be fair, to the majority of his audience, I don't think that matters all that much.

The military is irrelevant to World War Z. That particular version of the zombie apocalypse is singularly suited to eliminating the military.

So I've just realized I missed the greatest clip to post in response to one of Trump's speeches. It would have been amazing, BtYbCFC-levels of funny.

Fortunately, I know what it is now, so if he triggers it in another major speech, I'll have it ready. But man, what a bummer. :(

So I've just realized I missed the greatest clip to post in response to one of Trump's speeches. It would have been amazing, BtYbCFC-levels of funny.

Fortunately, I know what it is now, so if he triggers it in another major speech, I'll have it ready. But man, what a bummer. :(

No worries. The Trumpster always repeats himself.

Spent a whole day looking up how to tie a samurai style man bun.

Hair still not long enough to be tied at the crown.

Damn you, how much longer must it be?

The military is irrelevant to World War Z. That particular version of the zombie apocalypse is singularly suited to eliminating the military.

Then he shouldn't have mentioned the military at all in the book. Instead I'm reading the book and getting totally into it until the part about the Battle of Yonkers. The absolutely poor writing that stems from Brooks' complete lack of military knowledge completely took me out of the book. Later, his description of how the military restructured itself further took me out of the narrative because it just came off as an anti-technology rant that was born from a complete lack of understanding of the technology he was railing against.

Then he shouldn't have mentioned the military at all in the book. Instead I'm reading the book and getting totally into it until the part about the Battle of Yonkers. The absolutely poor writing that stems from Brooks' complete lack of military knowledge completely took me out of the book. Later, his description of how the military restructured itself further took me out of the narrative because it just came off as an anti-technology rant that was born from a complete lack of understanding of the technology he was railing against.

You got a lot further than I did before deciding the book was crap.

I finish what I start, no matter how painful it may be.

In five decades of life I can count the books I started reading and didn't finish on one hand. World War Z is one of them. I probably would have slogged it through, but my dog chewed it up and there was no way in hell I was going to make the effort to get another copy.

In five decades of life I can count the books I started reading and didn't finish on one hand. World War Z is one of them. I probably would have slogged it through, but my dog chewed it up and there was no way in hell I was going to make the effort to get another copy.

You're not missing much. It's pretty much the same tripe from beginning to end. While I was in Afghanistan my wife sent me a couple of zombie books ("Plague of the Dead" and its sequel "Thunder and Ashes") that were much better than World War Z. I recommend those books for anyone looking for some global zombie apocalypse action.

I like it because the zombies in those books have two stages. First a live person gets infected and turns into a 28 Days Later type zombie. They are fast and extremely aggressive but can still die as easily as a regular human. If you don't shoot it in the head or destroy the brain in some other way, it will reanimate into a "shambler", which is more of a Romero-type zombie.

I like the instant turn fast zombie effect. That's what I meant by making the military superfluous. Current military...beyond strategies...let's go with way of life...makes the military uniquely susceptible and would eliminate them before they were ever a factor.

I like the instant turn fast zombie effect. That's what I meant by making the military superfluous. Current military...beyond strategies...let's go with way of life...makes the military uniquely susceptible and would eliminate them before they were ever a factor.

That's kind of what happens in Plague of the Dead.

My Oreos, as modern cookie packaging demands, came in one of those resealable packages. Both ends, where us old timers would think to be tearing them open, are clearly marked "STOP! Open with pull tab on top!" The top says "LIFT easy open pull tab."

I may be old, but I eat enough cookies to understand the resealable package. But somehow, through a manufacturing error, this package did NOT go through the cutter! I scratched at the "easy open tab" for like a minute (well, a few seconds anyway) before I finally accepted that it was nothing but a ruse to keep me busy while my milk got warm. I'm considering suing Nabisco for emotional distress.

Another rant thread, another posts down the drain :|.

Says CFC's third most frequent poster (by a long way).

Why thank you MS paint:

#Waste of ink.

Now how the bleep do I take that with me to my College admissions appointment tomorrow?

My Oreos, as modern cookie packaging demands, came in one of those resealable packages. Both ends, where us old timers would think to be tearing them open, are clearly marked "STOP! Open with pull tab on top!" The top says "LIFT easy open pull tab."

I may be old, but I eat enough cookies to understand the resealable package. But somehow, through a manufacturing error, this package did NOT go through the cutter! I scratched at the "easy open tab" for like a minute (well, a few seconds anyway) before I finally accepted that it was nothing but a ruse to keep me busy while my milk got warm. I'm considering suing Nabisco for emotional distress.

Dude, that sucks. If something prevents me from eating my Oreos and milk it really does significantly downgrade the overall "goodness" of my day. So I feel your pain.

I also hate the way the resealable packages are designed. They are designed so some of the cookies are hard to fish out for someone with big fingers like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom