Random Rants 91 - Semiprimal Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your husband goes to the store and picks up things that are similar to what you wrote on the list but still not what you wanted.

I swear, those memes about men needing a pucture grocery list must be true :lol:

When your husband goes to the store and picks up things that are similar to what you wrote on the list but still not what you wanted.

I swear, those memes about men needing a pucture grocery list must be true :lol:
Pucture? Oh, picture, right?

Sometimes pictures don't help. It's a good thing I was with my dad the day he got excited about finding canned bananas at the grocery store (the way we did the shopping was each take a cart, each start at one end, meet in the middle, and sort out any omissions or misunderstandings). He swore up and down that it was a can of bananas, and pointed to the label.

I informed him that "ananas" doesn't mean bananas. It's French for pineapple (basically everything sold in Canada has bilingual labels). Why he didn't realize that, considering that there was a picture of a pineapple on the label, is beyond me.

Canned bananas? :eek:
I googled it, and found this image labelled as as "Weird Stuff In A Can". Canned custard is completely normal in the UK, when I make it myself people are surprised I do not just used canned.

I googled it, and found this image labelled as as "Weird Stuff In A Can". Canned custard is completely normal in the UK, when I make it myself people are surprised I do not just used canned.

Several decades ago pudding was sold in larger, multi-serving cans, rather than single-serving plastic cups. I don't remember if banana was one of the flavors. All I remember was chocolate, butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, and tapioca.

Then along came single-serving puddings, that were sold in small pull-tab cans. Banana was one of the flavors then, and so was my absolute favorite: maple pudding.

It's been DECADES since I last had maple pudding. :(

But if you want a can of bananas, the closest I can think of now would be a plastic container of dried banana chips. They're actually quite good.

Tomatoes are fruit and wheat is a vegetable. Pizza is a most nutritious, natural, whole food.

Tomatoes are fruit and wheat is a vegetable. Pizza is a most nutritious, natural, whole food.
And adding pineapple is one way to make it better.

It definitely is. Both in the form of pineapple-flavoured drinks and of dessert ingredient (pastries, fruit salad, jam…). :yumyum:

Are you guys trying to start more wars? Ice cream I could understand as it makes (al)most everything better but pineapple? It's not an apple and it doesn't grow on pines - it's clearly a misunderstood hedgehog and not edible.

Call it an anana(s), as is good and proper.

Ananas is a much better name for it but still, a pizza which can be improved by adding ananas isn't worth eating for.

If you watch the above video, within ten seconds you get two girls' reaction to such a foodstuff, and it's the same as mine.

I never quite get the offense people take to pineapple on pizza. Sweet things in savoury meals are something I dislike, but I understand some do.

What offends me is the American habit of making the bases thick, rather than spinning them in the air to make them as thin as possible. I think the reason I am offended by it is that I suspect it is because it is hard to do, which means pizza places would actually have to pay the chefs a living wage rather than treating them as disposable cogs in the corporate machine. It is the model I find distasteful as well as the pizza.

I've survived pizzas with ananas but given the choice without is much better. I've no idea when I saw it the first time but ananas on pizza debate seems to be the most common casus belli between civilized people.

Locally, the bases are thin everywhere, occasionally too thin to properly support the toppings while hot and if one wants the only exception it's Pizza Hut & their pan pizzas. And if one only eats in pizzerias the inevitable conclusion will be that there has been been a drastic change in demographics as 90% (or so it feels) of those are ran by Turks. One chain is a notable exception.

I never quite get the offense people take to pineapple on pizza.
I don't get it, either. 'Hawaiian' pizza isn't my cup of tea, but there are worse things.

What offends me is the American habit of making the bases thick, rather than spinning them in the air to make them as thin as possible. I think the reason I am offended by it is that I suspect it is because it is hard to do, which means pizza places would actually have to pay the chefs a living wage rather than treating them as disposable cogs in the corporate machine. It is the model I find distasteful as well as the pizza.
I think it depends where you are. There are regional differences. In the Northeast, pizza is always thin crust. I think the square-pan, thicker-crust pizza is Detroit-style, and Chicago deep-dish is like a whole different food. Around here, I rarely go to one of the chains. I go to a California Pizza Kitchen, Bertucci's, or Pizzeria Uno once in a while, because they do some different things. I've literally never eaten Domino's, Little Caesar's, or Papa John's. You'd have to drug me or pull a gun on me to get me into a Chuck E. Cheese. :lol:

EDIT: I forget what it was called, but many years ago there was a chain place around here that made pizza with cheddar cheese. I think they said it was British-style? omg, it was disgusting.

@Samson I'm not sure where you get the idea that only deep dish pizza is served in the US?

Most places offer multiple different types of crusts: hand-tossed, thin crust, deep dish, etc. Some places specialize in one type. People have different preferences and this is the land of variety. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the difficulty of making it (making a good deep dish can really be more difficult than making a hand-tossed pizza) Depending on my mood, I'll sometimes make a really thin-crusted pizza (where I roll it out), other times a hand-tossed, and sometimes a deep dish in a cake pan.

Tossing your dough in the air isn't even the best way at all of stretching out your dough. You should more turn it in your hands like a steering wheel so you let gravity do a good portion of the work.

Pineapple tastes great on pizza, especially if you pair it with something spicy like red pepper flakes. And it gets its name because Spanish explorers thought it resembled a pine cone (at that time called pine apples) and it stuck in both Spanish (the fruit is called pinas) and English (pine cones had to get renamed, funnily enough) Both ananas (the Tupi name for the fruit) and pineapple were used in England, but like the VCR/Beta war there was a winner and a loser lol.

With my speech impediment, "pineapple" is much easier for me to say than "ananas" (which trips up my tongue)

I think it depends where you are. There are regional differences. In the Northeast, pizza is always thin crust. I think the square-pan, thicker-crust pizza is Detroit-style, and Chicago deep-dish is like a whole different food. Around here, I rarely go to one of the chains. I go to a California Pizza Kitchen, Bertucci's, or Pizzeria Uno once in a while, because they do some different things. I've literally never eaten Domino's, Little Caesar's, or Papa John's. You'd have to drug me or pull a gun on me to get me into a Chuck E. Cheese. :lol:
The best places here are Erbelli's and Roma's. And also my kitchen, my pizza is amazing :D

@Samson I'm not sure where you get the idea that only deep dish pizza is served in the US?
There's definitely thick-crust pizza. The pan-cooked, square-cut pizza I've had was thick-crust. I think I've heard that referred to as "Detroit-style", but I've never been to Detroit, so I can't say if that's accurate. Chicago deep-dish is something else altogether - I feel weird even calling it pizza sometimes - and can be amazing.

The best places here are Erbelli's and Roma's.
I've never even heard of those. This country's so big, even the chain restaurants & stores are regional.

There's definitely thick-crust pizza. The pan-cooked, square-cut pizza I've had was thick-crust. I think I've heard that referred to as "Detroit-style", but I've never been to Detroit, so I can't say if that's accurate. Chicago deep-dish is something else altogether - I feel weird even calling it pizza sometimes - and can be amazing.
Yeah, the square deep dish is "Detroit style." I didn't say we don't have thick-crust, but rather than we don't only have thick-crust.

I've never even heard of those. This country's so big, even the chain restaurants & stores are regional.
Those are local places and not chains :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom