• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Random Thoughts XIV: Pizza, Pomegranate Juice, and Shreddies

The last time I even heard anyone talking about cheques was my mother and that was six years ago.

Check = cheque yes that's what I meant. More importantly nobody picked up on my Jack Burton quote from "Big Trouble in Little China".

1704914100534.png

Autocorrect can feel downright creepy at times

We used to spell it cheque here in Britain. Now we don't spell it at all as no-one uses them.
You also have ‘Czech’! And the goalkeeper Petr Čech!

The last time I even heard anyone talking about cheques was my mother and that was six years ago.

I still write the occasional cheque. They're also used to arrange for automatic deposit/debiting for monthly payments (with VOID written on them so nobody can actually use them).

Isn't that what we use direct debits for? Then again, I know that the UK has greatly accelerated the already extensive use of chip-and-pin since Covid, what with not wanting to use coinage.

The businesses you deal with here want proof that the account number you give actually belongs to you. It's a one-time thing.

Isn't that what we use direct debits for? Then again, I know that the UK has greatly accelerated the already extensive use of chip-and-pin since Covid, what with not wanting to use coinage.
Cheque writing has a long and glorious tradition. We still write a few cheques every year.

Early years[edit]​

There is early evidence of using bill of exchange. In India, during the Maurya Empire (from 321 to 185 BC), a commercial instrument called the adesha was in use, which was an order on a banker desiring him to pay the money of the note to a third person.[11]

The ancient Romans are believed to have used an early form of cheque known as praescriptiones in the 1st century BC.[12][ISBN missing]

Beginning in the third century AD, banks in Persian territory began to issue letters of credit.[13] These letters were termed čak, meaning "document" or "contract".[14] The čak became the sakk later used by traders in the Abbasid Caliphate and other Arab-ruled lands.[15] Transporting a paper sakk was more secure than transporting money. In the ninth century, a merchant in one country could cash a sakk drawn on his bank in another country.[16] The Persian poet, Ferdowsi, used the term "cheque" several times in his famous book, Shahnameh, when referring to the Sasanid dynasty.

Ibn Hawqal, living in the 10th century, records the use of a cheque written in Aoudaghost which was worth 42,000 dinars.[17][18]

In the 13th century the bill of exchange was developed in Venice as a legal device to allow international trade without the need to carry large amounts of gold and silver. Their use subsequently spread to other European countries.

In the early 1500s, to protect large accumulations of cash, people in the Dutch Republic began depositing their money with "cashiers". These cashiers held the money for a fee. Competition drove cashiers to offer additional services including paying money to any person bearing a written order from a depositor to do so. They kept the note as proof of payment. This concept went on to spread to England and elsewhere.[19]

I wrote a paper in college on Japanese rice warehouse receipts acting as a form of fractional reserve currency (crafty merchants caught on that not everyone would claim rice at the same time) and the professor hated it because it wasn’t about Buddhism. :lol:

Anyway, my thought that I came here for was I liked how the guys from Trading Places came back in Coming to America. Both great movies!

Anyway, my thought that I came here for was I liked how the guys from Trading Places came back in Coming to America. Both great movies!
I don't think I've seen either movie in 30 years. I wonder how well they hold up?

NEW MEXICO

JOURNAL STAFF REPORTS

‘Name a Snowplow’ winners announced

If the weather is bad this winter, you Better Call Salt. Or Sleetwood Mac, Bisc-Snow-Chito, or one of the other 12 winners of the New Mexico Department of Transportation’s inaugural “Name a Snowplow” contest.
After narrowing nearly 1,600 name suggestions to 50, the department received a flurry of more than 23,000 votes to christen the fleet.

Each NMDOT district has two winning names. Check the NMDOT map to see which plow will be representing your neighborhood.

Winning names:

Sleetwood Mac (District 1)
Snowplowpilla (District 1)
Billy the Skid (District 2)
That’s All Slick (District 2)
Better Call Salt (District 3)
Darth Blader (District 3)
EE, I Snow, huh? (District 4)
Walter Whiteout (District 4)
Snowzobra (District 5)
Bisc-Snow-Chito (District 5)
Ctrl-Salt-Delete (District 6)
Mr. Snow It All (District 6)

NEW MEXICO

JOURNAL STAFF REPORTS

If the weather is bad this winter, you Better Call Salt. Or Sleetwood Mac, Bisc-Snow-Chito, or one of the other 12 winners of the New Mexico Department of Transportation’s inaugural “Name a Snowplow” contest.
After narrowing nearly 1,600 name suggestions to 50, the department received a flurry of more than 23,000 votes to christen the fleet.

Each NMDOT district has two winning names. Check the NMDOT map to see which plow will be representing your neighborhood.

Winning names:

Snowzobra (District 5)
They should hire local artists to put the names on the trucks in fancy script, with cartoon-character mascots, like World War Two bombers.

They might do that. It is a good idea.

Eddie Murphy was cool and I am happy he returned :)
There was a time when the new Eddie Murphy movie was a can't-miss event for me and my friends.

Winning names:

Snowzobra (District 5)
Wtf? No ‘Mr. Plow’?

NEW MEXICO

JOURNAL STAFF REPORTS

Winning names:

Snowzobra (District 5)
What, no Plowy McPlowface? Or Snowy McPlowface?

I don't think I've seen either movie in 30 years. I wonder how well they hold up?
Better than if they were filmed today; had the movie been made after closure of open outcry pits the end of Trading Places would just be Murphy and Aykroyd sitting at their computers pushing “S” for “sell.”

Fun fact: the Hong Kong gold exchange still works this way.

Ctrl-Salt-Delete was my favourite.

Top Bottom