Random Thoughts XIV: Pizza, Pomegranate Juice, and Shreddies

I bought the Shreddies because they were half of the cost of the Chex ($4/box vs. $8/box). I don't happen to have any milk on hand, so I just eat them dry, as a snack.

there is no particular reason to read this , as it relates to something in some previous thing ... One might even call it beating some dead horse thing ...

Spoiler :

it appeared as some sort of a revulsion at an idea that one could have done something against the thing that goes on and on , despite the 4 day break starting today with exchange of hostages and whatnot . The thing to be said against that the calls for me to take people to Gazze would only lead to their political advantage , in the most extreme unreal thing that ı have any power to take people to Gazze which then would also require me to stop Israel . Which would alsk require me to push them back to 1967 borders . One can notice that there is only one person who counts the numbers of deaths in relation to some mathematical formula which stipulates there is still two months of war to reach 30000 dead Palestinians within the "current trends" . That will come to be useful or something when forum stuff will justify reminding people that ı definitely avoided 10 000 as a cap . Back to square one here , if ı can impose that , ı can also defeat Israel and its supporters and whatnot . Will anyone accept that ?

there are no more calls for me to go to Gazze , because Netanyahu's position is now secure . While it might have enraged him enough to go for extra stuff and start chaos and brandishing of nuclear weapons with the rest of that unholy triology to create a precedent that will like make New Turkey will go even bolder because Netanyahu will now openly take them and Ihvan under a nuclear umbrella ? In case one has reading comprehension issues , ı have warned people not to read this , right ? Ask yourself , would you like r16 coming to your door and telling you to shut up or something ?

let me re-use the photo . Which proves how much brain-rot has been institutionalized in the 21st Century ...
22-11-2023.jpg

american Right talking against the Wokery that has made America weak . But instead of finding pictures of young Americans in war and a 14 year old boy was indeed wounded in the Sicilian landings and was discovered to have lied about his age and demobilized and sent home . With a lot of 16 years olds remaining and so on . The kid in the picture is Russian , every American Rightwinger will at least identify the weapon as Russian . This would have never happened back in the REAL Cold War . Today , some troll according to the whims of his paymaster fixes this and that ... Who knows , this might be even some Democrat brilliance , who were once sold that they should attack anyone but Trump in 2015 or so , because he was a buffoon and there was no way the American voters could prefer him . Over her ...

reading comprehension is an universal problem . When ı say ı have nothing to do with people , it really means am not running a trolling thing to make believe the 15 year old boys that ı know famous people from Hollywood . So that when ı look like opposing the Goverment and these 15 year old boys might detest the stifling controls imposed on them daily and they might be like most unconceivably impressed with me , so that they will see the movies of those Hollywood personalities . This is actually how the Modern Politics is done , by lies .

in baby steps:
ı do not know these people
even if ı do , my thing is not about making them known
so that they can like make more money
which makes me a liar
which helps the globe to stick the head in sand , ostrich style

to counter that stuff already happens . But can't tell it yet . Is it claims of a new affair ? Or whether ı find some too rich for comfort ? Or too poor to be considered ? Wealth as an arbiter to decide whether one is unworthy of attention or whatever ? Just stop a moment and ponder , you people outside CFC . What if you are not smart as you think and you discover that , like when it is kind of late as you eagerly promise that you now understand it has been so generous an advice that you shouldn't have bothered with r16 ?

but yeah , something new to dispel the feeling of a broken record .

23-11-2023.jpg

this should be the 6 or 8 years old kid some Soviet Regiment found in the forest . His father killed in the war , two elder brothers gone to war , mother shot dead while trying to stop those Germans busy hanging his 10 year brother . He would definitely be safer in the Red Army . His adopted father , a commander of the unit married the military nurse he would come to see as a mother . He was strafed by German planes , that's his combat wounds or something . As this is the random thoughts thread , do randomly think about that when people keep selling you that people will be defeated in war because they think medieval while the rest of the world is so much ahead .

oh, tankie you say !

Last edited:
My wife found a place to buy stuff for next to nothing. She bought 15 double boxes of Post Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, that's 3 lbs of cereal split in two bags per box, total of 45 lbs. of cereal for a buck fifty a box or a dollar a pound and it all had an expiry date of sometime in 24. I thought I'd never eat all of it but have gotten in the habit of a bowl a day. I dunno, she bought maybe 15 other boxes of different kinds for a buck a box. Might not be steak but that woman has always had a knack for keeping the family fed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We are for various reasons eating alone this year. I don't really mind, most of interesting people in my life are already dead.

I need some help. I've been out of the business for a long time now. So, I was told that a nearly housing project of 100+ homes is pre-sold even though not a single foundation is in. How is this sort of financing structured? This is in North Carolina. Thanks in advance for your help.

My wife found a place to buy stuff for next to nothing. She bought 15 double boxes of Post Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, that's 3 lbs of cereal split in two bags per box, total of 45 lbs. of cereal for a buck fifty a box or a dollar a pound and it all had an expiry date of sometime in 24. I thought I'd never eat all of it but have gotten in the habit of a bowl a day. I dunno, she bought maybe 15 other boxes of different kinds for a buck a box. Might not be steak but that woman has always had a knack for keeping the family fed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We are for various reasons eating alone this year. I don't really mind, most of interesting people in my life are already dead.

You are one lucky man to have such handy wife. Love it when a woman knows how to buy stuff at discount.

Your post reminds me why many people at 60+ years old are so happy about kids. Any kids, their grandchildren or even relatives'. Because their generation is leaving Earth already.

For me, I'm 36, most of my grandma's relatives are dead, there is one woman living 150 miles from my city who is a daughter of my grandma' s sister. She is 65 herself iirc. Others seem to be gone or emigrated out of Latvia.

At 36 I can be happy for any of my friends who still have both grandparents.

I need some help. I've been out of the business for a long time now. So, I was told that a nearly housing project of 100+ homes is pre-sold even though not a single foundation is in. How is this sort of financing structured? This is in North Carolina. Thanks in advance for your help.
Preselling homes is common. Where in NC is this development? What is important are the terms of the presale. Do you know the name of the development or the company?

Preselling homes is common. Where in NC is this development? What is important are the terms of the presale. Do you know the name of the development or the company?
I know squat about it. Which is embarrassing. I date to the days when we built rafters one stick at a time, and yeah, I remember the guys using handsaws on the job. I just didn't know that large presold developments were a thing in this neck of the woods. Time has passed me by.

For instance, building contractors used to build new houses here without being licensed. Haha, I dug foundations for new houses with a shovel. Where did the time go?

Last edited:
not about me this time !

Spoiler :

no surprise that the Dublin Events are not covered in CFC . In which reportedly an Algerian man of 40 (who has lived in Ireland for the last 20 years) stabs 4 or 5 kids and a mother in the playgrounds . Like it DOES have the Good Immigrant thing with a Brazilian delivery guy saving the victims' lives . Distinctly remember a Brazilian delivery guy doing this thing some years ago but can't tell when or when . Going around in Tumblr ı learn there is supposed to be 5 days of holidays in the US . With Ceasefire in Gazze cutting down on live coverage while a lot of bought ads on TV trying to fix things . See , we Muslims tend to be lax on killing the Infidels thing , like because we can't actually "tell if our friends and co-religionists are Muslims in the first place" , naturally making priority targets right from the start .

the Algerian might not even be a Mossad plant . That will be talked about . (Drug abuser) and (deceived by traitorously bent religious teachers) will also be present .

24-11-2023.jpg

this is what ı spotted in random trawling . Becoming a thing of argument between Allies . It says the West is evil and/because it will always support Israel . The keyboard warriors of the Grand Order of Wokery , kewgow if am allowed to be inventive , are offended . They are exposing Israeli lies daily , creating a furor on the web , they understand , they are fighting for Palestine . And the Arabian guy says they will never surrender . Uhm , what ? The Westerners of the type do not want Palestinians to surrender . Much better if their suffering cuts down the legs of Capitalism and whatever , before it requires hardship in the West ! Still can not agree , the so called Islamist view can not bring itself to treat those people as useful idiots , simply can't . Like it is far dangerous for "Muslims" of this type , (this there can be common ground between peoples) than bombs that fall on other random people 500 or 1500 kilometers away . Make no mistake , am not propagandizing to find a "common ground" with the West or East or anything ; whatever to happen will happen . And such people are the Allies of the West because they always but always find more important things to do and kill more worse enemies when they are expected to fight the West for real or something .

but ı liked the news where some actress says

24-11-2023b.jpg

and the result is

24-11-2023c.jpg

and Hollywood is on fire . They unflinchingly fought Trump all as one and they stand united against the Crusade against Abortion but like why people are falling into tropes ? Heartbreaking or what ? And like another gem , also a movie thing !

24-11-2023d.png
it is easy to be Borat afterall .

Last edited:
I know squat about it. Which is embarrassing. I date to the days when we built rafters one stick at a time, and yeah, I remember the guys using handsaws on the job. I just didn't know that large presold developments were a thing in this neck of the woods. Time has passed me by.

For instance, building contractors used to build new houses here without being licensed. Haha, I dug foundations for new houses with a shovel. Where did the time go?
So what is your question? You got old; times change. My wife and i built a house in the 70s (with help) the way you remember it.

1700859203190.jpeg

1700859223728.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think those steps would meet code now. :D But I love the way you got that tree to curve over them.

I was actually reading about the Chinese housing market and then I heard about the pre-sold development here and it's just got me curious. Giving a prepayment/deposit to a developer or home builder would seem to me to be a foolhardy thing. I wasn't prepaying anything for housing related work as far back as 2006 but that wasn't private new housing construction. The Chinese market seems so insane, they are now annoucing that they are going to allow(make?) banks to make non-collateralized loans to developers. What could go wrong? But they are trying to bail them out.

So, I was wondering what kind of crazy we might be doing here in the states. One housing crisis is more than enough for any lifetime.

I don't think those steps would meet code now. :D But I love the way you got that tree to curve over them.

I was actually reading about the Chinese housing market and then I heard about the pre-sold development here and it's just got me curious. Giving a prepayment/deposit to a developer or home builder would seem to me to be a foolhardy thing. I wasn't prepaying anything for housing related work as far back as 2006 but that wasn't private new housing construction. The Chinese market seems so insane, they are now annoucing that they are going to allow(make?) banks to make non-collateralized loans to developers. What could go wrong? But they are trying to bail them out.

So, I was wondering what kind of crazy we might be doing here in the states. One housing crisis is more than enough for any lifetime.
We built that house in Orange Cty. between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. The inside stairs were probably worse as far as code. there were few to none back then. We did get licensed plumbers and electricians to do their work.

Pre sales are common for condos and fancy apartments in cities. And if a builder/ developer goes belly up, I'm sure there are contract clauses protecting buyers to some degree.

My Chinese friend sent me this story. It is a google translate.

English 1.jpeg

English 2.jpeg

Interesting stuff. I wonder if they've gotten any bankruptcy laws in place that would allow people to start over. It's almost too easy here.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if they've gotten any bankruptcy laws in place that would allow people to start over. It's almost too easy here.
My understanding is that outside of Hong kong and one other city there is no personal bankruptcy. I THINK even there if you are classed as a "dishonest person" you cannot discharge the debt in bankruptcy, hence the reference.

My understanding is that outside of Hong kong and one other city there is no personal bankruptcy. I THINK even there if you are classed as a "dishonest person" you cannot discharge the debt in bankruptcy, hence the reference.
Yes. I think that Guangdong Province is the other one with personal bankruptcy.

Why is medieval art so weird? This new book offers a guide to the era​

By Jacqui Palumbo, CNN

1700959357050.png

"If you can’t get excited to die, aim for ambivalence at the very least," advises Olivia M. Swarthout in her book, "Weird Medieval Guys: How to Live, Love, Laugh (and Die) in Dark Times."
Heidelberg University Library/Courtesy Penguin Random House

Editor’s Note: Keeping you in the know, Culture Queue is an ongoing series of recommendations for timely books to read, films to watch and podcasts and music to listen to.
CNN —
Spoiler :

So you want to live like you’re from the Middle Ages? Well, maybe that’s not a common aspiration, but nevertheless, it’s a subject that’s become Olivia M. Swarthout’s expertise.
Swarthout is the researcher behind the popular art history-inspired social media account Weird Medieval Guys, which has attracted nearly 700,000 followers on X, formerly Twitter, since she began posting with the handle @WeirdMedieval in April 2022. Now, she’s the author of a book with a tongue-in-cheek guide to living like it’s 999 AD — or thereabouts — called “Weird Medieval Guys: How to Live, Love, Laugh (and Die) in Dark Times.”

You might well have seen Swarthout’s handiwork in your feeds even if you don’t follow the account: Paired with her zeitgeisty captioning, many of the strange, cute and often absurd illustrations from 6th- to 15th-century manuscripts — showing jovial skeletons and wan angels, strangely drawn animals and the daily affairs of commonfolk — have become popular memes. There’s weird floating babies, a knight stabbing himself with the caption “I’m out,” a sneaky cat with a severed penis in its mouth, and a pair of men demonstrating not-so-vaguely sexual sword-fighting tactics.

History repeats itself​

In her new illustrated book, Swarthout guides readers through life in the Middle Ages with the same timely wit, making sense of broader Medieval culture through a contemporary lens. What would your name be? Ratbald? Wulfwynn? How about just Guy?
You can choose a patron saint — just as important as your astrological sign — and find hot Medieval singles in your area; learn how to settle disputes with trial-by-combat tips (if between a man and a woman, the man must be chest-deep in a hole to level the playing field) or how to identify the poisonous, man-lion-scorpion-hybrid manticore in the wild (he likes silly hats).

1700959426043.png

"Just got back from the Holy Land to discover my front door was unhinged. Turns out my wife had moved in with the blacksmith next door, Swarthout captioned this 14th-century French illustration."

1700959503614.png

"Plants can be weird little guys, too," according to Swarthout. This illustration is part of a Italian compendium of medicinal herbs, many of whom have faces and, clearly, some thoughts about the situation.
University of Pennsylvania Libraries/Courtesy Penguin Random House

“A lot of the art being made (in the Medieval era) was people drawing on things from their life and experiences… that were part of popular culture,” Swarthout said in a phone call with CNN. “Focusing the book on life in general and the entire medieval world… felt like a really good way to synthesize all of those different sorts of topics together.” The swift popularity of her Twitter account surprised her, she said. Swarthout is not a historian, but a recently graduated statistician who took art history during undergrad. “It felt very surreal — especially in the beginning — and it still does,” she said. And though there’s no shortage of art history humor accounts across Twitter and Instagram, Swarthout’s offerings are today much more robust, with both a Substack and a podcast of the same name for followers who want a deep dive into the artworks she mines for her social posts.

“I didn’t really intend for it to be a meme account, although I think there is a lot of intrinsic humor,” she said. “A lot of the content is just funny on its own.”

1700959565948.png

"Well, one of us is going to have to let him go," Swarthout writes of this detail from a early 16th-century manuscript, showing Jonah and the big fish who just can't quit him.
Biblissima+/Courtesy Penguin Random House

1700959601696.png

"Bagpipes? No thank you. Send a skeleton who knows how to play something nicer, please." This illustration is part of the Danse Macabre motif, in which the grim reaper takes the dead on a musical journey to the afterlife.
Württemberg State Library Stuttgart/Courtesy Penguin Random House.

There’s a reason why Medieval art is particularly, well, weird. While paintings and sculptures that remain from most other periods in history were generally produced by trained artists, the illuminated manuscripts made in Medieval times were often authored by monks and tradespeople, who weren’t necessarily following artistic conventions of the era. “It’s almost like a look at everyday people’s inner lives, Swarthout explained, “which isn’t something that you get in a lot of art history.”
The witch isn’t dead: New book explores witchcraft’s rebellious history – and modern transformation.
Our era may be wildly different from the Middle Ages — after all, could you explain a viral art history meme on Twitter to a 9th-century peasant farmer? But time flattens a bit through the humor of each image. Swarthout imagines people from centuries ago taking delight in some of the illustrations in the same way, like one small depiction of a cat churning butter.

“You can look at it and imagine that it was just as funny and just as cute back then,” she said. “A lot of images like that are a fun way to connect with people who lived hundreds of years ago.”

Add to Queue: Party like it’s 999​

Listen: “Weird Medieval Guys” podcast (2022–)
Swarthout launched a podcast series expanding on her social media presence last summer, with ever-prescient topics including a deep dive into three prominent “wife guys” of the era and whether or not a single Dorito would kill a medieval peasant.
Play: “Pentiment” (2022)
This quirky RPG is formatted like the pages of an illuminated manuscript, with the artist protagonist, Andreas, finding himself in the middle of a murder mystery in a fictional 16th-century Bavarian town as he serves out an apprenticeship. Available to play on Xbox and Steam, “Pentiment” has received praise from critics and several award nominations for its inventiveness.
Read: “The Grand Medieval Bestiary” (2018)
If the often strange and absurd depictions of animals during this era are your thing, this 587-image compendium of the Medieval animal kingdom (both real and fabled) is a must. The beastiary includes entries on 100 different creatures and includes plenty of lore in the form of essays.
Watch: “Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
The classic satire of Arthurian legend mined the Middle Ages for comedic gold decades before Medieval memes were a thing. Follow the Monty Python troupe on an epic, farcical journey from Camelot (‘Tis a silly place) in search of the Holy Grail.
Read: “Medieval Bodies: Life, Death and Art in the Middle Ages” (2019)
This illustrated history book from art historian Jack Hartnell challenges notions of the Middle Ages as being an ignorant or unsophisticated era, focusing instead on insightful, advanced and fantastical beliefs about the body and medicine through details and stories drawn from artworks, historical accounts and textbooks.

Last edited:

Why is medieval art so weird? This new book offers a guide to the era​

By Jacqui Palumbo, CNN

View attachment 678257
"If you can’t get excited to die, aim for ambivalence at the very least," advises Olivia M. Swarthout in her book, "Weird Medieval Guys: How to Live, Love, Laugh (and Die) in Dark Times."
Heidelberg University Library/Courtesy Penguin Random House

Editor’s Note: Keeping you in the know, Culture Queue is an ongoing series of recommendations for timely books to read, films to watch and podcasts and music to listen to.
CNN —
Spoiler :

So you want to live like you’re from the Middle Ages? Well, maybe that’s not a common aspiration, but nevertheless, it’s a subject that’s become Olivia M. Swarthout’s expertise.
Swarthout is the researcher behind the popular art history-inspired social media account Weird Medieval Guys, which has attracted nearly 700,000 followers on X, formerly Twitter, since she began posting with the handle @WeirdMedieval in April 2022. Now, she’s the author of a book with a tongue-in-cheek guide to living like it’s 999 AD — or thereabouts — called “Weird Medieval Guys: How to Live, Love, Laugh (and Die) in Dark Times.”

You might well have seen Swarthout’s handiwork in your feeds even if you don’t follow the account: Paired with her zeitgeisty captioning, many of the strange, cute and often absurd illustrations from 6th- to 15th-century manuscripts — showing jovial skeletons and wan angels, strangely drawn animals and the daily affairs of commonfolk — have become popular memes. There’s weird floating babies, a knight stabbing himself with the caption “I’m out,” a sneaky cat with a severed penis in its mouth, and a pair of men demonstrating not-so-vaguely sexual sword-fighting tactics.

History repeats itself​

In her new illustrated book, Swarthout guides readers through life in the Middle Ages with the same timely wit, making sense of broader Medieval culture through a contemporary lens. What would your name be? Ratbald? Wulfwynn? How about just Guy?
You can choose a patron saint — just as important as your astrological sign — and find hot Medieval singles in your area; learn how to settle disputes with trial-by-combat tips (if between a man and a woman, the man must be chest-deep in a hole to level the playing field) or how to identify the poisonous, man-lion-scorpion-hybrid manticore in the wild (he likes silly hats).

View attachment 678259

"Just got back from the Holy Land to discover my front door was unhinged. Turns out my wife had moved in with the blacksmith next door, Swarthout captioned this 14th-century French illustration."

View attachment 678260

"Plants can be weird little guys, too," according to Swarthout. This illustration is part of a Italian compendium of medicinal herbs, many of whom have faces and, clearly, some thoughts about the situation.
University of Pennsylvania Libraries/Courtesy Penguin Random House

“A lot of the art being made (in the Medieval era) was people drawing on things from their life and experiences… that were part of popular culture,” Swarthout said in a phone call with CNN. “Focusing the book on life in general and the entire medieval world… felt like a really good way to synthesize all of those different sorts of topics together.” The swift popularity of her Twitter account surprised her, she said. Swarthout is not a historian, but a recently graduated statistician who took art history during undergrad. “It felt very surreal — especially in the beginning — and it still does,” she said. And though there’s no shortage of art history humor accounts across Twitter and Instagram, Swarthout’s offerings are today much more robust, with both a Substack and a podcast of the same name for followers who want a deep dive into the artworks she mines for her social posts.

“I didn’t really intend for it to be a meme account, although I think there is a lot of intrinsic humor,” she said. “A lot of the content is just funny on its own.”

View attachment 678262

"Well, one of us is going to have to let him go," Swarthout writes of this detail from a early 16th-century manuscript, showing Jonah and the big fish who just can't quit him.
Biblissima+/Courtesy Penguin Random House

View attachment 678264

"Bagpipes? No thank you. Send a skeleton who knows how to play something nicer, please." This illustration is part of the Danse Macabre motif, in which the grim reaper takes the dead on a musical journey to the afterlife.
Württemberg State Library Stuttgart/Courtesy Penguin Random House.

There’s a reason why Medieval art is particularly, well, weird. While paintings and sculptures that remain from most other periods in history were generally produced by trained artists, the illuminated manuscripts made in Medieval times were often authored by monks and tradespeople, who weren’t necessarily following artistic conventions of the era. “It’s almost like a look at everyday people’s inner lives, Swarthout explained, “which isn’t something that you get in a lot of art history.”
The witch isn’t dead: New book explores witchcraft’s rebellious history – and modern transformation.
Our era may be wildly different from the Middle Ages — after all, could you explain a viral art history meme on Twitter to a 9th-century peasant farmer? But time flattens a bit through the humor of each image. Swarthout imagines people from centuries ago taking delight in some of the illustrations in the same way, like one small depiction of a cat churning butter.

“You can look at it and imagine that it was just as funny and just as cute back then,” she said. “A lot of images like that are a fun way to connect with people who lived hundreds of years ago.”

Add to Queue: Party like it’s 999​

Listen: “Weird Medieval Guys” podcast (2022–)
Swarthout launched a podcast series expanding on her social media presence last summer, with ever-prescient topics including a deep dive into three prominent “wife guys” of the era and whether or not a single Dorito would kill a medieval peasant.
Play: “Pentiment” (2022)
This quirky RPG is formatted like the pages of an illuminated manuscript, with the artist protagonist, Andreas, finding himself in the middle of a murder mystery in a fictional 16th-century Bavarian town as he serves out an apprenticeship. Available to play on Xbox and Steam, “Pentiment” has received praise from critics and several award nominations for its inventiveness.
Read: “The Grand Medieval Bestiary” (2018)
If the often strange and absurd depictions of animals during this era are your thing, this 587-image compendium of the Medieval animal kingdom (both real and fabled) is a must. The beastiary includes entries on 100 different creatures and includes plenty of lore in the form of essays.
Watch: “Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
The classic satire of Arthurian legend mined the Middle Ages for comedic gold decades before Medieval memes were a thing. Follow the Monty Python troupe on an epic, farcical journey from Camelot (‘Tis a silly place) in search of the Holy Grail.
Read: “Medieval Bodies: Life, Death and Art in the Middle Ages” (2019)
This illustrated history book from art historian Jack Hartnell challenges notions of the Middle Ages as being an ignorant or unsophisticated era, focusing instead on insightful, advanced and fantastical beliefs about the body and medicine through details and stories drawn from artworks, historical accounts and textbooks.
Sounds interesting; I'll check these out after NaNoWriMo is over. Right now my go-to for information is Modern History TV, a YT channel hosted by a guy who runs some sort of gaming company or whatever (I was never very clear on that), but what he presents in the videos is information about the daily life of a medieval knight - from the mundane things to combat, tournaments, and war. There's episode on soap making, how to make rush lights, the history of chain mail, and guest experts on cooking, crossbows, and even a short film based on one of the Arthurian knights.

Top Bottom