Random Thoughts XIV: Pizza, Pomegranate Juice, and Shreddies

Definitely play  Pentiment if you can. It's good fun.

You play as a illuminator of manuscripts in Renaissance Europe but someone at the monastery has died! In keeping with this, the game's artstyle, dialogue etc. is all done as if you're reading an illuminated manuscript too.

Is there something wrong with the Danes?

F_FlZ7lXcAAvZ7j.jpg

Technically in Gælic-speaking countries it's also 2+10+4×20 (in that order) and in France you can say nonante-deux, but sure.

There's a reason why the rest of Scandinavia makes fun of the Danes. :lol:

Technically in Gælic-speaking countries it's also 2+10+4×20 (in that order) and in France you can say nonante-deux, but sure.

If you do it in that order, it works out to 320.

If you put the parentheses around 4x20, it works out to 92.

I was taught that 92 is quatre-vingt-douze.

2+10=12
12+4=16
16x20=320

I know you're supposed to do multiplication and division first. But I'm used to the 4x20 part of it being written as (4x20).

The way this equation was written upthread is the mathematical equivalent of "eats shoots and leaves."

Is there something wrong with the Danes?

View attachment 678418
Japanese: Kyu-jū ni (九十二).
9*10+2=92

Roman Numeral: XCII
You’d think 10-100+2. But you’d end up with -88 (I’m glad I’m not doing math in Roman Numerals or I’d be bald from ripping my hair out in frustration dealing with it as an Ancient Roman accountant). In a nutshell, it’s really 100-10+2 with the whole rules and such. A rabbit hole I don’t feel like investing my energies into 🫠.

Last edited:
Japanese: Kyu-jū ni (九十二).
9*10+2=92

Roman Numeral: XCII
You’d think 10-100+2. But you’d end up with -88 (I’m glad I’m not doing math in Roman Numerals or I’d be bald from ripping my hair out in frustration dealing with it as an Ancient Roman accountant). In a nutshell, it’s really 100-10+2 with the whole rules and such. A rabbit hole I don’t feel like investing my energies into 🫠.

It's just one of the things people learn, like the several different pronunciations for "-ough". :dunno:

Why did you think Arabic numbers took over so quickly when they finally reached Europe, GM? Not only was there a zero, you could finally do straightforward maths at any point.

Why did you think Arabic numbers took over so quickly when they finally reached Europe, GM? Not only was there a zero, you could finally do straightforward maths at any point.

According to Wikipedia:

The Roman abacus was the first portable calculating device for engineers, merchants, and presumably tax collectors. It greatly reduced the time needed to perform the basic operations of arithmetic using Roman numerals.

So they weren't trying to add alphabet soup on paper.

According to Wikipedia:

So they weren't trying to add alphabet soup on paper.
There are two things here. The introduction of arabic numeral massively simplified the lives of people who used numbers. So much so that there was resistance from the professionals who had learnt how to use roman numbers, as it allowed anyone to compete with them.

Abacuses are powerful computing machines. They simplify calculations with all sorts of number systems, and the gain is probably greater with roman numbers but was significant up to the development of at least slide rules but really common electronic calculating machines/computers.

There are two things here. The introduction of arabic numeral massively simplified the lives of people who used numbers. So much so that there was resistance from the professionals who had learnt how to use roman numbers, as it allowed anyone to compete with them.

Abacuses are powerful computing machines. They simplify calculations with all sorts of number systems, and the gain is probably greater with roman numbers but was significant up to the development of at least slide rules but really common electronic calculating machines/computers.
I had to learn to use a slide rule in Grade 10 math. I actually still have it, though the last time I did use it was in 1977.

Quite a few seasons ago on The Amazing Race, there was a task involving the teams doing some sort of calculation on an abacus. I don't remember exactly which country they were in, but I think it was somewhere in Asia.

I'd never considered pomegranate juice with pizza. Then again, I'm not sure I've ever had pomegranate juice. Other than maybe cranberry-pomegranate at a restaurant? Sounds kind of interesting though.

The bigger question is, pineapples or no pineapples on the pizza?

I didn't know what Shreddies were and would have assumed Shredded Wheat, so I'm glad you clarified. I like Chex (primarily Cinnamon Chex), so I'd probably like them. Not a fan of Shredded Wheat. The wheat squares are simply too big and require too much chewing. Haven't had any in probably close to a decade, since I last had it when eating breakfast at my parents' after staying over. Now I'll have toast or oatmeal as my carbs in the morning. Which is actually my go-to at home too; they're much better deals than boxed cereal. Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts but the rolled-oats-in-the-microwave-with-some-brown-sugar-and-raisins variety works well enough too.

Sometimes bagels or English muffins make their way in, too.

There was so much breakfast-and-pizza discussion that I almost forgot this was a random thread, and wondered why the first person posting something else was posting something so off-topic for the thread...

I'd never considered pomegranate juice with pizza. Then again, I'm not sure I've ever had pomegranate juice. Other than maybe cranberry-pomegranate at a restaurant? Sounds kind of interesting though.

The bigger question is, pineapples or no pineapples on the pizza?

I didn't know what Shreddies were and would have assumed Shredded Wheat, so I'm glad you clarified. I like Chex (primarily Cinnamon Chex), so I'd probably like them. Not a fan of Shredded Wheat. The wheat squares are simply too big and require too much chewing. Haven't had any in probably close to a decade, since I last had it when eating breakfast at my parents' after staying over. Now I'll have toast or oatmeal as my carbs in the morning. Which is actually my go-to at home too; they're much better deals than boxed cereal. Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts but the rolled-oats-in-the-microwave-with-some-brown-sugar-and-raisins variety works well enough too.

Sometimes bagels or English muffins make their way in, too.

There was so much breakfast-and-pizza discussion that I almost forgot this was a random thread, and wondered why the first person posting something else was posting something so off-topic for the thread...

I just made the title according to what I had for supper. It could easily have been about blueberry juice. And since my pantry's a bit low on stuff, I'm just having whatever's handy and doesn't take any work. The pizza was from Domino's.

None of the toppings were pineapple.

I went shopping today and stocked up on a couple of things. My grocery store's deli does really good chicken pot pie. Normal price is $5.30. Sale price: 3/$9.99. I now have a freezer full of chicken pot pie and sweet & sour chicken (I combine it with Minute Rice I've already got).

Maddy got cat food, I got pop, and decided to give myself a reward of ketchup potato chips (NaNoWriMo is over tomorrow).

some head of state has said once families were large and it would be nice if people again raised families . Instead of just one kid if the couple felt they could afford him/her . The West naturally claims he has ordered each family to make 8 kids so that he will have them killed in his pointless war for vanity in 12 to 20 years time . Adding it is failed propaganda by the person's own link .

Top Bottom