1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RaRE] RaR Extended: a combined modmod for the RaR modification

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Commander Bello, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Chieftain

:clap:
    Releasing RaRE 2.5a with the new dll files with the bugfixes would be really great :clap:

2. Mentos

Mentos Prince

I'm glad to read that you could fix that export-saving issue.
    If you like, you can still add the build commands to the Converted Native with pioneer profession. I hardly use them as pioneers that's why I just noticed it now. I could give them the pioneer profession, but they didn't want to build anything.
    I accept that my lazy Governor refuses to build my roads, heck even the old Bishop could do it, so why not my healthy, native friends? I've already fixed that myself here, but can't hurt to add this fix for everyone.

Would it be too complicated to also add a save/load button feature to the export/import good menu to copy/paste the whole settings to another city? That would save alot of time, as I often use more or less the same (import feeder) settings in each city.

3. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

That could be interesting. Feel free to upload the modified xml file(s) to do that and I will take a look. I'm not sure I ever considered using them as pioneers, but that isn't the same as they shouldn't be possible to use them as such. Either they can build or they can't be pioneers. We can't have useless pioneers.

I have thought about this from time to time and it isn't the most trivial task. I have thought about marking a colony and then be able to tell other colonies to just clone the settings from the marked one. It's essentially the same as a copy paste system, but without trying to construct a "virtual city" with settings to be copied.

I will see what I can do because it is after all a fairly decent feature and I too would like it.

4. Diegozubi

Diegozubi Chieftain

You're awesome man! I was really expecting this release.
    Are you planning on publishing the v2.5a or 2.5b soon? I usually play the same game for months, so I can wait a few more days for the fixed version :)

Thank you very much!

5. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I'm not entirely sure when I will release the next version, but if you are willing to play with the known bugs, then you can start right away. I have figured out how to handle the savegame format and my design goal is to make savegame loading backward compatible, meaning whatever game you start now will be able to load in the next version.

6. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Chieftain

Is there a way to fix the bug myself locally? I've started a third game and the game freezes again after a while :confused:
    That means to me that the game is not playable with the current modversion :sad:

Hopefully there is a way to fix this bug with as little effort as possible for you.

7. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I released RaRE 2.5.1. Download link in signature. It's just dll files to replace the ones used in 2.5, meaning it's an upgrade only.

8. Willi_Tell

Willi_Tell praefectus praetorio

Thank you for the new RaRE release - and happy new Year! :)

9. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Chieftain

Thank you for this really quick release :)

10. Diegozubi

Diegozubi Chieftain

Hey Night, are you aware of a crash right after founding New Land, when playing in RAR Gigantic America's map? Should I expect this when using maps?

Thanks!

Edit: It stopped after unchecking the Minimum Colony Distance option. I don't know if it was that or if it was only that saved game. So, thanks anyway ;) Amazing work!

11. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I'm not aware of any crashes or other serious bugs not already mentioned here.

12. JanusTalaiini

JanusTalaiini Prince

I'm confused. Where is the download link for 2.5? The only RaRE download I can find is the 2.5.1 upgrade.

13. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Just click the download link. It goes to a download page containing all RaRE files ever released.

14. JanusTalaiini

JanusTalaiini Prince

Ahh, I see it. Thank you!

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@Nightinggale,

Are the instructions on how to update RaR 2.4 to your recent 2.5.1 included with the down load?

Or will I need to read thru the thread?

Thank you for your work on RaRE. :)

JosEPh

16. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

17. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

Hello everyone,

I apologize for my long absence. I had to pause my modding activities to finish writing my thesis. I intend to pick up where I left though and merge my own modmod with RaRE 2.5.1.

Can I find the changes you made to the DLL source files for 2.5.1 in the RaRE repository at sourceforge? That way I can copy them manually and include these fixes in my modmod.

18. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

What did you make? Is it something, which is worth adding to RaRE? If you are interested in modding RaRE, you better get an account on SF.

I attached a RaRE diff file. Since I asked git for all changes, it includes new makefile, project files and other files you can skip.

There is no reason to merge manually though since git can do it for you.
    1. Install git (I will assume smartGIT for the rest of this post)
    2. Clone the RaRE server
    3. Open the log (without selecting a file first!)
    4. Select the revision "Merge RaR 2.4"
    5. Click "Add Branch"
    6. Write the name of your new branch and hit "Add Branch & Switch" (this will give you unmodded RaR 2.4 files)
    7. Close Log
    8. Copy your modded files into the mod
    9. Commit (you can review the graphical diff first if you like)
    10. (optional)If you want to stay in master branch, switch by double clicking the local master in branches in the bottom left part of the window
    11. Open the log
    12. Make sure you checked all branches in the top left for viewing
    13. click the head revision of the branch you want to include in your current branch
    14. click Merge
    15. Make a merge commit
    It sounds like a lot of steps, but it is a lot easier when you have the windows in front of you. When you merge, git will go back in history to the last common revision (in this case RaR 2.4) and then it will look at the diffs for both branches and merge those. Unless they conflict it will happen automatically.

I can add the files to RaRE this way if you aren't familiar enough to use git to do this. In fact even if it isn't something, which should be added to RaRE, it can always be added as a different branch and never be merged back into master.

Attached Files:

19. agnat86

agnat86 Warlord

I think it is definitely worth adding. I still have everything that was part of the modmod I released here in 2014 plus some new additions.

I already have an account on SF, and I would love to join in.:)

How do I clone the server? I see there is a clone function in Smartgit but when I use the URL that is provided here I get a message that Smartgit cannot connect to the repository. Do you need to invite me to the project first?

The way you explain it, it seems simple enough, and much more efficient compared to what I'm doing now. I've wasted too many hours of my life manually merging mods.:goodjob:

20. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Oh yeah, that one. Yeah it looks interesting.

This may come as a surprise, but I would need to get your login name in order to add you ;)

Sourceforge provides a command line to clone and this confuses lots of inexperienced people.
    The first part is telling git what to do, the bold part is the URL while the last part is the name of the directory to use. You only need to use the bold part, but many people copy paste the bold and the last part.

Also log in to SF first. You should use an url with your username in front as this is required if you push changes back to the server once you gain access.

Git is revolutionary in source control history. The two main features it provided (well more, but two important to me) are decentralized, meaning it works in offline mode and moving servers is easy and they optimized it for branch merging rather than branch creation. Svn has since tried to copy git's merging principle and that's a great improvement, but still git is designed around it while svn has it as a late addition. I'm not sure what that does to the internal code design.

And yeah, manually merging sucks big time and I have decided to stop doing that as much as possible. I always recommend people to use git as it makes everything a whole lot simpler when looking at more than one mod, or multiple versions of the same mod.

One really cool feature is that if you clone the server and upload it elsewhere and people commit to that one, then the mod will be forked and it will develop in two directions. However git is clever enough to have multiple remote servers and can still merge it all back into one if needed. In fact if I understand it correctly, it can add a new remote and then import just one specific commit if that is what you want. The merging abilities goes far beyond what most people realize.