RBE5 - The Sea is a Harsh Mistress (PTW)

Ouch! Tough 10 turns. I had a feeling it might be a problem, when you capture a city of size 6 and end up with 6 resisters that doesn't bode well for flip suppression. At least you were able to reach the goal and take the filthy Celts out, good job on that.

You may want to double check the save you sent, the link is wrong and the folder contains a 2550 save game dated December 1st.

I think we should still build the FP in a Celtic city. If Entremont is too corrupt, maybe Lugdunum then.

I believe we have the worst culture by far, so we better pillage, raze and destroy :evil: in our next war.

Ok, after checking the save game, I see that the Mongols will not trade with us from anything. I offered all we have that is, 3 lux, 400 golds and 46 gpt and Genghis will never accept this for banking. They would give us 2 luxuries for that price. I think we can assume Genghis will not deal with us until the end of time. Hmm, maybe not, Korea will not sell us chemistry for the same price. Carthages has the same tech as Mongolia and I guess they feed one another. If we can't get them to fight each other they will leave us in the dust.

I think we should now launch an attack on Mongolia. Break some coastal cities, most specifically those with a luxury monopoly. Hopefully that will force Genghis to break some deals with Hannibal. If possible we should settle the liberated land and be ready for a strong counter-attack. Choybalsan and Kasan are the best targets. Then we settle a city to get all the silks in the first city ring. By landing Muskets on the silk near Almarikh, we can steal all the silks from Genghis so that will be at least one broken deal for him. Then we work our way up breaking cities until Genghis will pay a high price for peace. If we can go all the way up to Ta-tu we will steal all the spices from Genghis for another broken deal. Mongolia has no saltpeter but Carthages has 3 :(

At first I was going to suggest to wipe out the Ottoman but Mongolia will most likely get rifleman before we can come back.

There is a settler in Mecca, he has been there for a long time now, I think we should make him work for his money :)

In any case, these are my thoughts on the situation. I may be way out in the left field on that, so feel free to disregard any or all of this :)

Roster:

Charis
Jaxom
Architect
Arathorn <- UP, please post a got it today
Falsfire
Iteean

(0) 750 - Look around. Try to knock out the rust.

Troop shuffle. Aiming at Mongols -- both as biggest threat and as most to gain. Change Lugdunum to courthouse in dreams of building a FP there.

(I) Palace expansions and Mongols start Copernicus.

(1) 760 - Peace and Astronomy are available from the Carthiginians. All it would take is 400 gold and all 45 gpt we can muster. I decline at the moment, as we still have an alliance with the Koreans in place.

(I) Koreans start Copernicus.

(2) 770 - yawn

(3) 780 - Start trying to squeeze in the occasional infra build -- temple here, aqueduct there.

(4) 790 - Kill Carthigian landing force near Augustorodum. Rush temple in Entremont to give us a slew of near squares, as it will cause a bunch of small border gaps, which automatically fill, helping Entremont, Alesia, Lugdunum, and Camulodunum in one shot, once the borders expand.

Korea now has Astronomy, too, so any 2-for-1 opportunities with it are gone. I was hoping for Astronomy and Chemistry from peace. Hmm....

Spain and the Ottomans are just pathetic and have no place in a deity game. They can't even muster a bit of cash to buy old techs from us. Sigh.

(5) 800 - Korea breaks our alliance (with one turn remaining!) to sign a peace treaty with Carthage. Wonder if that will hurt our rep.... :)

(6) 810 - Carthage has too many boats running around and we really need to sail the seas to attack Mongolia correctly. I give 38 gpt and 448 gold for peace and Banking. Dyes to Carthage for 17 gpt, incense for 17 gpt, ivory for 20 gpt. Banking to Korea isn't enough for Astronomy? And they won't accept gpt, even though Carthage would???????

OK, I get dirty. If they'll only accept gpt as part of a peace treaty, I'll just renegotiate peace with Korea. Yeah, it's dangerous, but I really REALLY want Astronomy from this. Peace, banking, and incense gets astronomy and all 8 gold in their treasury. They have no gpt to offer.

Spain gets Education for Printing Press and her World Map, as we're still lacking some map info. Saves us 15 turns on PP, too. Ottomans also get PP for their 17 gold and WM. Min sci on democracy started.

We're down to 37 gold, but our gpt income is up to 66, after all the trading. And we have three new shiny techs to play with. We're only visibly down Chemistry, but we may be behind more than that, of course.

(I) Renew Gems/Dyes trade with Korea.

(7) 820 - Mongols have Democracy. I can't count to 3, so some galleys begin long journey to safe passage to Mongolia. Research target changed to Music Theory.

(8) 830 - nada

(9) 840 - Trying to position troops. Mongols demand we leave. We do and ask them to leave. They immediately move next to Trondheim with a galley. GROWL!

(10) 850 - Still a few turns away from optimal attack vector, I'm afraid. The Carthiginians appear to be the Mongols only supplier of saltpeter, so if we can ally with them, I think we'll do well.

Troops on hand might be enough to take a city, but they'll never be able to hold it. Wait for the reinforcing ships (maybe even detour long enough to upgrade and bring along more troops).

Arathorn

Save at (I hope):
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/rbe5-850ad.zip

I love this part...

"OK, I get dirty. If they'll only accept gpt as part of a peace treaty, I'll just renegotiate peace with Korea. Yeah, it's dangerous, but I really REALLY want Astronomy from this. Peace, banking, and incense gets astronomy and all 8 gold in their treasury. "

That'll teach them for breaking a treaty with us!!! :hammer:

I was in shock from the FP flip. That's just... wrong. A city should not be able to flip, ever, with the FP there, or while an Army is present. Just my 2c, if Firaxis cares :p

I think though the chance to flip was higher than Architect thought. Like 5-10%, meaning the 5-10 turns to kill off the Celts meant almost a 50-50 chance of seeing it flip, until its borders were adjusted. Here's the thing - distance to *capital* and capital only affects the flip chance. If it were distance to nearer of capital or FP, that %flip chance would be TEN fold lower. It was probably an unduly large risk, but really, I would not have expected a flip THAT quick either - bad luck for sure, and one we'll deal with as best we can. Other than that misfortune, good job to all taking out the Celts!

Mongols first? Bold! But probably best, yes. That didn't really occur to me with Korea looking so ripe.

Good luck to our next leaders with the invasion!
Charis

The thing is, Lugdunum was just as close, had resistors my entire turn and had less troop garrison.

I know its just fate but its sure is funny the two cities that flipped were the most important ones we had.

Roster:

Charis
Jaxom
Architect
Arathorn
Falsfire <-- UP
Iteean

will try to finish tonight but i'm not pushing it, as it's 10:05PM here now. If I don't finish tonight I will finish tomorrow early evening for sure.

850 AD [0] - Preturn. I open up the savefile and wow. Has our civ ever grown since my last turn in the rotation. I see we have galleys waiting off the Mongol coast, and two more groups on their way. I have been reading the thread so I know the general consensus is to take it to Ghenghis and teach him who's malted liquor is the best, so that is probably what I will want us to do. What begs the question is, can we hold any of these cities we take against his military, and his culture which is about 3x ours. I overlook our cities' build orders, and all I change is the scientist in Verulamium to a working citizen to get the city growing, and change an entertainer in Entremont into a scientist to continue our min science run on Music Theory.

860 AD [1] - Mecca finishes its temple and starts on a Musketman. Baghdad finishes its catapult and begins work on a courthouse. It's maybe our best bet at building an FP on the Celtic island from scratch, as it's relatively central and not 99% corrupt even without a courthouse.

870 AD [2] - Workers work, boats move.

880 AD [3] - Korea completes Copernicus' in Seoul. Bergen Aqueduct->Musketman. Oslo Berserk->Berserk.

890 AD [4] - Oslo Musketman->Musketman. Trondheim Caravel->Berserk.

900 AD [5] - More units finish. More boats moving into place.

910 AD [6] - Medina Caravel->Caravel. Reykjavik Berserk->Berserk. Copenhagen Musketman->Musketman. I burn 280 of our gold to finish the courthouse in Baghdad.

920 AD [7] - Baghdad finishes courthouse. 50 turns to FP at current rate of 4 shields/turn. Invasion of Mongolia will commence next turn.

930 AD [8] - Bergen Berserk->Berserk. We declare war on Mongolia, and the fun begins.

Our first vet Berserk attacks, takes a hit from a catapult and brings a vet musket down to 1hp before he dies. Second vet Berserk attacks, takes a catapult hit, kills a reg musket and promotes to elite with 2hp left. Third vet Berserk scores a flawless victory against a reg musket and promotes to elite. Fourth vet Berserk scores another flawless victory against a reg musket. Now only the 1hp vet musket left as a defender. Next vet Berserk attacks, kills the 1hp musket w/o a scratch, promotes and takes the city of Darhan. We now control the Sistine chapel, and two more catapults. 6 resistors, let's see if we can't keep this one. The city still contains its barracks to heal our hurt units. A vet berserk from the next galley takes the mountain next to Darhan, killing the vet sword (bombed down to 2hp) that was there. His musketman buddy in the galley climbs out to help him hold the high ground.

Inter-turn: The Mongols move their forces into position around Darhan.

940 AD [9] - I bomb down the defenders on one of the Mongol stacks on the plains near Darhan, and then kill off one pikeman, 3 swords, one Keshik (promoted a 'zerk to elite) and severely injure a musket down to 1hp (lost an elite 'zerk in that fight...owie).

The Mongols attack force is...formidable. 6 vet MI's, 1 reg keshik, 1 reg archer, 1 reg longbow, 1 vet keshik. That's it for what can attack in the interturn. Our defenders are: 3 vet muskets (fortified), 4 catapults, 2 elite 'zerks (unfortified), 1 3/4 vet knight, 1 4/5 elite knight, both fortified. Seven defenders against 10 attackers, with catapult support on our side, we just might hold this round. Let's see...

IT: We lose both knights, 2 muskets, but of all the odd RNG luck, a 'zerk defending against a Keshik produces the great leader Erik Bloodaxe! The FP will now be rebuilt in Entremont, if the city holds the rest of the inter-turn that leader is leaving on the next boat back to our Celtic island.

950AD [10] - Baghdad and Richborough went into disorder. Funny, they didn't grow, it's not war weariness, they're just less happy.

All I do this turn is load Erik Bloodaxe into a galley and send him off back to our home. I'll leave the rest of the unit movements and warfare up to our next leader

http://www.kaejae-worx.com/~devin/civ3/rbe5/rbe5_950AD.zip

But a few nitpicks :)

Trying to hold onto Mongolian cities will have us depend on luck. Just burn them to the ground. Our Zerks are safer in a boat, loose one per burned city and move on to the next. With all the boats we have, we should be able to bring strong-blooded Vikings to that land. Settle our own cities and rush a wall on the first turn. We own the Great Wall, do we have metallurgy yet? If not, a couple of musket behind a reinforce wall will repel many, many attacks. And even if the muskets end up dead, odds are we will be way ahead in number of shields wasted.

Yeah! To Eric bloodaxe! I bet Baghdad and Richborough are unhappy because they now know they won't get the FP ;)

Iteean -- up
Charis -- on deck

What future will the battle of Darhan hold?

Can we hold the city? If so, is it worth it?

Do we abandon the city, destroying the Sistine Chapel? Do we have enough boats there to successfully pull out all our forces? Is there a good second location attack city?

I think a reasonable goal for the war is control of the southern peninsula of Mongolia -- not even quite as far north as Darhan. As I recall, that will get us 2 new luxuries and a solid foothold on Mongol land. We might not be able to achieve this goal, but it should be nearly realistic and potentially attainable.

Good luck to the next leaders. May the PRNG be with you.

Arathorn

Holding the city I did know would be a longshot, I'm just so used to not wanting to lose wonders. But in hindsight, it did give us a leader, and he did burn up alot of his units in the counter-offensive. He didn't attack with only ten, at least 3 or 4 extra Keshiks came riding in from his mainland. So, our 7 units and 2 catapults repelled 13 or 14 attackers, and we did get a Great Leader out of it.

We do have enough boats just off-shore to offload all our landbound units into. We've so-far only lost two 'zerks, one on attacking the city and one on counter-counter-attacking one of his counter-attackers.

We'll probably never hold the city, though, if he doesn't re-take it costing us alot of units, it'll culture flip back with its proximity to his capitol, so we should definately burn it down.

One thing's for sure, 'zerks are awesome in their time. Right now the best defenders anyone has are 4-defense muskets, and we're the *only* civ in the world with a 6-strength attack unit. The best anyone else can muster is a 4-attack knight/keshik/longbow. And attacking from the sea completely negates their size 7+ city defenses, which probably has alot to do with us scoring 3 flawless victories against fortified muskets with our 'zerks.

We still have 3-5 muskets in our stack (including the two fortified on the mountain, they too can get into the boats in one round) One of our muskets is elite. And I saw two settlers in the boats. So we should be able to hold the land down south if we settle a city or two down there.

So in hindsight, my own opinion now is yeah, let's burn Darhan to the ground as our forces retreat back into the boats, we've had our way with the town there now and we DON'T LIKE their malted liquor! :hammer ! Burn our way along the coast, we still have an attack force of several 'zerks who haven't even set foot out of their boats yet. Just watch out for the Mongol boats in the area, I've seen 2 or 3 of his galleys roaming around, but they seem too afraid to attack us and run off whenever they come too close.

Burn Sistine to the ground, their god doesn't even approve of malted liquor!

Seriously, we have no cathedrals and will probably have none for the whole game. If you can spare some muskets to go pillage luxury resources in the north, that will help make Hannibal mad at Genghis.

We're smack in the middle of a hot war with the Mongols, and some heavy
action on the Sistine city of Darhan. I think folks had envisioned a
raze and pillage campaign on many cities, along the coast, but a
beachhead approach was taken, that happened to bring a key wonder
into play! How to proceed?

First, Sistine is all-map not just one continent, doubling effect of
all cathedrals. How many cathedrals are we going to build? We can't even
IRRIGATE our core until electricity!! We currently have 0 cathedrals and
pay 0% on luxury slider. We have four lux available. The power graph shows
us in good shape, Mongols as top dogs, Carthage stronger than his puny
troops would suggest, and Korea also decent in power, although we laugh at
him.

Next I note that *EVERY* Mongol city except Barcelona is coastal.

A musket, two zerks and 4 cats in Darhan. *SEVEN* Zerks in galleys next
to Ta-Tu, three up North, and a few empty ships. Carthage and Korea are
up on tech. Mongols won't yet talk to us, but take two more cities
and he sure will! They have *14* offensive units next to Darhan, and
a few muskets for cover.

As I see it we do NOT need to dislodge them or counterattack, but to wither
the storm at Darhan, inflict as many losses as we can, and draw their
troops AWAY from the coastal towns we're about to hit. If we can force a
peace settlement on our turns, it doesn't matter if they have 100 offensive
units. So I think I'll pull the muskets off the mountains back into the city.
Thankfully we have a barracks there.

Several cities are in civil disorder or sad, so I put lux to 10%.
Also, our ship to troop ratio is actually slightly large, so I won't
likely make more after the one due in Damascus.

Reading Falsfire's report, it seems we want to use about five zerks
to take a town of size 12 (maybe six is more likely?) - if we've
drawn cities to "minimum normal defense", as few as four zerks. Expect
to see 1-2 lost and 1-2 hurt as well. So with about 12 uninjured zerks
we really have enough for 2 cities, 3 if lucky.

Here then is the goal - do not abandon Darhan yet, but pull back muskets
inside city. Do a *simultaneous* attack on 2-3 Mongol cities, actually
capturing them, and on that very turn, demand peace from Mongols, so
we don't really need units on hand to defend them.

Which cities and when? Could have 4-5 vs Almarikh in 3 turns,
could hit Ta-Tu immediately, and Choybalsan in 3 turns, with 9 zerks.

- This turn: Raze Ta-Tu. Let hurt zerks heal in Darhan
- Next turn: Move the settler onto Ta-Tu's old square.
- Third turn: Settle the city. Take Choybalsan and Almarikh. Demand peace for a price.
- Next campaign in 20 turns - declare war on Mongols and do one of these:
i) wait several turns, then on ONE turn capture Kazan, Dalan, Ulaan, Tabriz, Hoyd.
ii) that very turn attack and RAZE each of those towns. I lean toward #2.
- Do not defend the cities with many troops at all, ASSUME they will flip.
But do starve them down!
Will it work?? We'll see! Capture or raze Almarikh and Choybal? I'm still leaning
toward just razing Almarikh and Choybal, even though if taken same round we
could sue for peace and hold them with few defenders. But... there's just
no benefit. Too big a flip risk, plus, Sistine city and one "native" city of
ours are worth having, but need no more.

[0] 950 AD - We carry out plan above. We bombard out of Darhan, then Vs Ta-Tu:
- First vet zerk kills vet musket, loses 2hp. Second vet dies ineffectively,
- Third vet dies but does dmg, same for fourth. Four and five are elites and win.
- Now there's a 2hp musket left. We have to move up an extra zerk from a caravel,
who wins, but now there's a vet MDI left!! Crud! Crud! Crud!
- Deciding fortune favors the bold gentlemen, we take our LAST zerk, a vet,
badly injured from last round, the only guy who can reach the city in time,
and attack, hoping 6 att vs 2 def will prevail. It does, and we even promote!!!
The city gets razed! :hammer: Six workers and a catapult. Glad we have ships on
hand!

Ok, that one city took seven and we lost three zerks. Ouch! That doesn't bode
well for going after three cities, and we must scale back thoughts to two or even
one. Will the Mongols talk now? Nope! Ok, we'll raze one more if they insist.
To get our boys back to the Darhan barracks we've now got some ships in port.
All the injured guys sail back to Darhan - can they survive and heal??
The upcoming midturn is tense!!

-- Tense is not the right word. Sad. Disappointing? No... BRUTAL!!!!
We lost... all 3 muskets, all 5 zerks, 3 workers, 4 cats, and 5 ships,
losing Darhan and the Sistine chapel.

:wallbash:

That's possibly the worst result I've yet had in Civ 3 8-\

They rolled us over. Stomp, whack, trampled. Actually, our defense was quite good.
We won 6 of the first 7 battles! They lost a total of 7 MDI, one Keshik, and
one sword. But then our muskets, now elite, were at 1 hp, and we lost almost ALL
the remaining battles as longbow after longbow, and MDI upon MDI, pressed
the attack. The only Zerk who defended worth a darn was the one who razed
Ta-Tu. The hero survived the round! Two victories even hurt!
Even we even held out this ONE round with one defender, we could cut our
losses, get the ships back out of the city, abandon Darhan. Ugh!

After they recaptured, you don't want to know what I saw next.

CAVALRY! Two of them, running around. We don't have the SLIGHTEST
prayer of holding ANY city.

This was a horrible debacle, but experience sometimes comes that way.
(Besides, the game almost has a theme now of several debacles! :p )
Viking doctrine - ***RAZE*** the coastal cities, no matter what the
city contains. Falsfire was bedazzled by Sistine, and I too drank in
the illusion, buttressed by a seemingly reasonable plan that only
required I hold the city TWO more rounds, with seasoned muskets, a barracks
and several other defenders.

The other fallacy - that only a few zerks are needed to take a town.
I think the seven I needed is more likely normal, and that we got
lucky in taking Darhan with only 5. Finally, with a slightly more
spread out pattern of boats, we could have hit a second and third city
at the same time as Darhan - if we did really want to keep Darhan, or
any city, you MUST capture 3 cities on that VERY round, and it must come
not at the beginning of the war, but after enough turns he'll talk.

[1] 960 AD -- Plan B. Now what?

First, I'm glad one caravel actually couldn't reach Darhan.
Second, we didn't lose the settler, and one elite zerk, a catapult
and worker, and a lot of ships survived.

What's in the water? Four strong zerks and two quite injured. Back
on our coast 2 zerks, musket and catapult. We won't have another
ship of 3 zerks for about 4 more turns. So what we have accessible
just MIGHT be able to raze one more Mongol city. Darhan?? If they
don't leave six defenders there yes, otherwize Almarikh is a good
candidate.

Depending on the tech rate, we may or may not be able to get a good
solid invasion going before rifles, but chances aren't great. Even then,
7-8 zerks should be able to raze any coastal city, so a longer window
exists with somewhat lower effectiveness, way through infantry. And
the fact they have cav is irrelevant if we NEVER leave our boats.
The best thing we could do about now is to slow down the tech rate.
My original plan, don't go against Mongols, but Korea and Ottomans,
is looking more attractive in some ways.

No embassy still in Carthage?! I fix that... they have
*SEVEN* musket defenders, Colossus and Lighthouse, 19spt, 7 lux
(too many from us!!) and Magellan's is due in 9. Their commerce in
Carthage alone is obscene, and our own lux is fueling it. No wonder
they're way ahead on tech. I wanted to see if he could ally vs
Mongols for any reason, and no way. Ottomans will, if we give them
two lux, Banking and Astronomy. What? They don't even have GUNPOWDER?!
What on earth are we waiting for?! Spain will ally for Astronomy and
Banking. They're weak enough that wouldn't hurt, except... the Mongols
would eat their lunch and devour the whole continent. Heck, they probably
will anyway. I don't want to tie down our options for 20 turns with that.

In any case, I don't like the two Koreans standing on our land,
and if they balk, ending a deal that supplies them TWO lux's and
saves them a ton of entertainers doesn't exactly scare me. I tell
them to leave, and... they declare war. Fine, slow yourselves down.
Alas, we're in need of capturing some new lux. Looks at Korea...

We slaughter two MDI with zerks, both promoting one to elite.

A Mongol galley ended just short of our short, and since I assume
it's got troops in it, I attack with an empty caravel and win.

Going to get our leader down to Entremont for an FP there.

[2] 970 AD - Moving into position.

[3] 980 AD - Here comes a Korean ship towards Lugdunum.

Here we go... at Almarikh. Ouch first thing we see is a cannon
shot at us. Our vet zerk is hurt and loses to a vet musket.
Second zerk, vet, no cannon fire, hurts musket but dies.
Third, same. Fourth is elite, knocks vet musket to 1hp with
no dmg, then loses 4hp in a row then... wins.
Fifth lost, sixth won, seventh and LAST berzerk... WINS!!

Almarikh is RAZED to the ground, and several LARGE KEGS
of malted liquor from the holds of the ships are broken out
and imbibed in celebration! Of course, with razing comes
plundering - six slave laborers.

The ships must all now go home to drop off the laborers
as well as to heal the berzerkers. The sole brave berzerker
left on shore who did the razing, knows his fate, and is
quite comforable with it... he dies dreaming of Ragnarok!
(The Malted Liquor is sweet succor at this time)

The Mongols still won't talk. They're too giddy at recapturing
the sissy chapel. We'll be back, don't worry. It may take
a few turns, but you have no defense!!

[4] 990 AD - Oh my!!! Midturn, a cavalry rides UP TO the
brave bezerker and takes him for dead, so deep was his
slumber and so grievous his injuries. In the morning he
awoke, rowed out to the galleys just before they left,
and sails home!!! To a heroe's welcome!!

:hammer:

This is clearly an omen that all is NOT lost, that we
SHALL prevail!!!

Entremont rushes its rax to be ready to rush FP next turn.

[5] 1000 AD - That blue caravel lands a knight, MDI, and longbow.
Right near our knight, zerk and cat. HA!

Mongols will talk now, btw, and give peace for free. But no techs.
Must have been a 'ten turn' thing they wouldn't talk earlier?

[6] 1010 AD - Augustodurum sees a Mongol ship nearby. Shift some...
Korean's start Smiths.

[7] 1020 AD - Carthage wants to extend the peace treaty. No chance
to renegotiate it? Well keep the peace for now.

Mongols and Carthage start Smiths.
I regnegotiate our triple lux deal to Carthage. Were giving
17, 17 and 20gpt for the three. Now we get 27, 27, 28gpt.
Still, he's saving MORE than that in cash and production by
having SO many happy people. Our next leader should feel free
to either deny him, or trade for tech instead. Still, our
economy is poor and we could use that gpt!

With our FP now in place, I send the unused settler to a spot
near Entremont where a good sized gap exists. Speaking of FP,
our income has SHOT up almost +70 extra.

[8] 1030 AD - Several yellow ships seen now. They won't actually
coordinate a landing, now will they?? Another blue one looks due
to land.

Midturn we see a Korean cav across the shore. (Mutters something
about saltpeter denial). They do land a musket and longbow.
The Mongols land a single Keshik (?!)

[9] 1040 AD - We get one promotion but no GL.
Korea will talk now, and take peace, but I'll let next leader
choose that. I *like* the GL fishing when they land junk troops
for our elite zerks to eat! There are two caravels and soon
several zerks down near Damascus, for a possible trip to raze
a Korean city.

[10] 1050 AD - Midturn in fact BOTH of them ask for peace.
I deny and Mongols land two Keshiks, a cav and MDI in our core.

We scoff at them! A zerk, Knight and two MDI (recently upgraded
via warriors and horse btw) spill their blood!

Finally, time for Revenge at Dahlan - up come the caravels...
Our first three vet zerks LOSE.
Our next two vet zerks WIN.
Our last two elite zerks... WIN!!!

** WE RAZE THE STINKIN' MALT-INTOLERANT SISSY CHAPEL! **

:hammer: [plasma] :evil:
Of course, since he was already willing to give peace, we
could have kept it. For 20 turns or until it flipped anyway.
But that just wasn't an option the intoxicated Berzerkers
would ever consider again! Pretty consistent, seven zerks
needed vs four musket defenders. If they had just one more
unit like a longbow we were screwed though.

We capture the same 4 catapults back, and 3 workers :p

To out next leader, we need a new vision. This turn we
had one failed vision then one borne of pure revenge!
We'll need to decide an overall strategy, goal on the
war with Mongols, vs Korea, how to slow down Carthage,
and if we can slip in plucking the low hanging Ottoman
fruit. Also, home defense is very weak and spread out,
in all cases I was lucky they landed where they did and
I could JUST get units there to attack them. You'll note
several units out in the open now, playing zone defense.
(Just saw Ottomans this round got gunpowder)
The Mongols will pay 280g for peace, not even close to
a tech. A rest-heal-strike on their southern cities
would likely be quite effective.

One last bit, *NOT* good - Carthage and Mongols are
now wearing Industrial era clothing. That means Rifles
soon if not immediately. It also means - if you can be
out of range/border the turn before you attack, then
move up to reach the city for amphib assault, it might
give them no time to draft or upgrade.

RBE5-Vikings 1050AD Save

Good luck!
Charis

PS Jaxom - I wish your post had been made *before* my got it!
The "Burn Sistine to the ground one!" :p

Roster:

Charis
Jaxom <-- UP
Architect
Arathorn
Falsfire
Iteean

I say we press the attack on the mongols until WW become a major factor. It looks like the effectiveness of Bezerks is going to start to dimish so keep using them before we lose them.

At some point we have to decide that our military efforts have failed to bring victory and consider alternatives or forever be mired in tech mediocrity.

Lord Jaxom puts down Charis' report of the mongolian campaign and shakes his head. A tear can be seen falling down his cheek, most likely due to all the dust floating around in his new quarters.

"Brave men they were, they will be sorely miss. At least the forsaken chapel is burning."

Lord Jaxom picks up a pen and writes down an edict to open a cemetery in Baghdad's jungles, at the foot of the Heroic Epic, and orders all the valiant warrior bodies to be buried there. He writes another edict to dig a pit in the middle of Scandinavia and orders all enemy carcasses, dead or alive, to be thrown down there to fertilize the land.

With these edicts taken care of, Lord Jaxom walks up to the balcony overlooking the once proud Celtic city of Entremont. The towns people are busily filling up barrels with the famous liquor, the lifeblood of the Viking's success. A raven's cry draws his attention to the palace's spires, embellished by the dessicated heads of our fallen enemies. Memories of Ragnar's treachery stirs up anger in his mind. Every school children learn how Ragnar handed Entremont to his pal Brennus for a few barrels of liquor and are taught how to effectively use treachery to improve Viking's life. Ragnar's error was not to give the city away, no, it was that he didn't secure enough liquor in the process. Ragnar's head, alongside Brennus' head, now adorns the rebuilt palace to remind everyone of that.

Lost in his thoughts, helped by the strong malted emanations permeating the air, Jaxom foresees an era when ships will be able to damage cities from afloat, allowing our proud berzerks to wreak havoc on Mongolian cities with minimal loses.

"Carthage is the enemy, they fuel Genghis war machine with their saltpeter and knowledge. Wang Kon is a little rough around the edges, but he is our only useful friend. Most importantly, he is not and will not be a threat to our glorious domination."

On this thought, Lord Jaxom sits down at his desk and begins drawing plans to hurt Hannibal, uttering something about 'other leaders' insight'.

Edit: got it.

PS: Charis, have a look at your PM, I sent you one. If you don't see any PM, let me know.

Top Bottom