Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

((Melda Travels, Day 9: Hanoi

(This is from yesterday)

So we finished our time at Nam Cat resort. It started promising with an extremely varied, diverse and delicious lunch the previous day but then it's like the chef called it quits because dinner was horrible and breakfast was just disappointing.

On a much brighter note we had great conversations with three other people from the ship we'd been on previously (which I call the Good Ship since I don't actually know its name): a retired Norwegian man and two Irish girls. After discussing Australian fauna, namely that everything is trying to kill you including kangaroos, we got onto the subjects of Irish and Norwegian politics --- and they were surprised at how well versed I was on the subjects. It was a novelty for me: I don't normally get to discuss European politics and electoral systems. I would never have expected the Treaty of Lisbon referenda, the Irish Senate referendum and the 2013 Norwegian general election as subjects to come up in conversation --- all topics I'm very well versed in.

The bathroom in our bungalow wasn't great. The entire floor was wet when we first checked in and we soon learnt why: the shower blasted water out like a Saturn V rocket, covering basically the entire room including the toilet. Hygienic. Oh, and one of the tiles on the wall had a scantily clad Jpop or Kpop star which was really unexpected (google those terms if you're unfamiliar with them). The rest of the bungalow appeared to be covered in a layer of filth or dust, even after bathing we didn't feel clean and the bed was so hard we might as well have slept on the floorboards. On the other hand the view of the bay was quite picturesque.

For the return trip back to port we returned to the pearl farm where we rendezvoused with... The Good Ship! I actually missed the vessel and its comfy cabin. After the two hours back to harbour we boarded the smaller boat back to shore and learnt about parking your boat: Vietnam style. The shore was completely full of boats and one of the boats had taken our allocated place. Our crew's solution? Full speed ahead! The invalidly parked boat tried to move and we rammed them. Then our crew physically grabbed the other boat (which was about five metres long, mind you) and manhandled it out of the road by pushing it out of the road. With their bare hands. I wished I'd filmed it. It was pretty awesome.

The four hour bus trip back to Hanoi was cramped and uncomfortable. A highlight was when we had to dodge another bus attempting a three point turn on the main road. Or ten point turn as it was more like. Lots of water buffalo and cattle wandering beside the road among the rice paddy fields. When we reached the frenetic and cluttered traffic of the Old Quarter of Hanoi I felt the feeling of 'ah, we're home' that you'd associate with a homecoming, which is unusual because we didn't particularly enjoy Hanoi last week. Maybe because everyone's back home now after going and visiting family for the new year holiday so business was back to usual, but it was now buzzing and bustling and seems somehow cleaner than last week.

We checked back into our clean and comfortable hotel with a decent bathroom; luxury after the resort bungalow. We enjoyed having once again access to wifi and the Internet then went on a street food tour. It was amazing. I normally steer clear of street food because I'm not overly fond of food poisoning but it was all really clean and good quality. I didn't eat everything on offer but it was pretty impressive. Our guide was really cute and adorable: she looked like she was fifteen but was probably ten years older than that. She was really good and we were so impressed we gave her a massive tip: it wasn't much money from our point of view but probably doubled her earnings for the day. Then it was back to the room for a comfortable night's sleep.

Images: the morning view from our bungalow, a floating village we passed, and a panoramic view from the Good Ship in Halong Bay.))

Attachments

• DSC_0135.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0137.JPG
    DSC_0137.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 73
((Melda Travels, Day 10: Hoi An

Day started well with an excellent breakfast and entertaining hotel driver who took us to the airport. He was really well informed: one of the few non-Australians we've come across who knows Canberra is the capital of Australia, not Sydney. I was really sad to be leaving Hanoi for the last time this trip which I wouldn't have expected last week. We were leaving Hanoi, flying to Da Nang where we would be driven to our destination: Hoi An.

But the day went downhill when we learnt the hotel we thought we had booked for our four nights in Hoi An apparently didn't have our booking. This meant we not only didn't have somewhere to stay but also meant we didn't have a transfer from Da Nang to Hoi An. And they were fully booked out for the whole week. So we had to furiously search for a new place to stay in Hoi An which is much easier to organise on a computer in the comfort of your home rather than on smartphones at an airport. We decided to stay at the hotel we stayed in a year and a half ago (initially we wanted somewhere immediately in town but now were much less picky). Unfortunately their online booking system didn't work on our phones, we had no way to call them (we decided against buying a local SIM card for our phones which we regretted and payphones don't exist because everyone has a smartphone) and they hadn't replied to our email request and we didn't want to wait around in case they didn't check it very often. So we grabbed a taxi and decided to ask if they had any rooms free in person.

As we rode in the taxi I had the impression we were near the sea and sure enough drove along next to the beach along the way. A half-hour taxi ride to the next town and half a million dongs later (about thirty Australian dollars) and we reached the hotel. Fortunately they had rooms available. And what's more, the staff remembered us from last time and gave us a discount!

Unfortunately on the drive over I realise I'd made a critical error: our international flight home is one day earlier than I'd thought so the flight taking us back to Saigon, which I'd organised on my smartphone was actually after we were scheduled to leave the country. Bloody hell. So I need to see if we can either move the international flight back or move the domestic one forward. Very frustrating and entirely my own fault.

Apart from that, we're enjoying Hoi An. Delicious food, lots of markets and shops. We've already visited a tailor to have copies of clothes we want made. On the way back to our hotel we bumped into a young English/Zimbabwean couple we'd met on the Good Ship up in Ha Long Bay.

After all the rushing about and travel of the last week we're going to take advantage of staying in the one town for the next few days by relaxing. Tomorrow's going to be a glorious sleep in. Apart from getting our flights sorted we have no planned schedule.

Today's images: 1) The sea! The view could easily be mistaken for Australia, either the Gold Coast or North Queensland. 2) Our massive bed in the hotel room. 3) The towels cutely arranged into a pair of swans forming a love heart. And yes, those are flower petals. 4) and 5) are views of Hoi An next to the river at dusk))

Attachments

• DSC_000003.jpg
    DSC_000003.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_000002.jpg
    DSC_000002.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_000001.jpg
    DSC_000001.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20150302_220107.jpg
    20150302_220107.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150302_220047.jpg
    20150302_220047.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 124
Some confusion has arisen in the Senate due to misinformation regarding Senator bouncymischa's party affiliation. According to the information on the first page they are a member of the PAU, but according to the PAU they have left the party. Could we clear this up?

Does that mean we have a senate of 6 senators this term then? As there are no other candidates in Coventry.

With no bouncymisha, we could hold a runoff election in Coventry between the other two active players (PortugalPower and GreekAnalyzer) or put in an NPC senator. What would people prefer?

It's probably easier to fill the Senate with an NPC senator if a seat ends up open after elections. That saves time and lets the game move on.

I say let us fill up the senate with PCs, now that we actually can!

Edit: Then again, Gurra has a point on moving forwards.

Who would vote in a runoff? I presume all the players, but what POPs (if any)? Just the ones for the city that has a missing senator or would the seat become a national representative (since the candidates are from other cities)?

Edit: I'm not against a runoff election, just thought it would be faster to do an NPC. :)

GreekAnalyzer is In Haven Of Peace, I'm in Coventry.

Yeah, I'm saying that due to an *uncommunicated* drop (little annoyed here, actually...) I'd let either of the unelected players move to Coventry to fill the second seat with only minor penalties.

To be honest, the seat doesn't really matter in the grand scope. If two parties work together, they get to lead, end of story. The PIP or the PAU receiving another seat won't change that.

I'll give it until ~12:00 CST tomorrow for the other players to make their preferences known. Right now we have one in favor of voting (MiguelBazil) and none definitively against it. If we go to an election, all players will vote; in the event of a tie, I'll bring in POPs.

Voting is fine with me as well.

I still stand by my views in the last five paragraphs of http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13707223&postcount=541 however for two reasons I'm happy to go along with whatever the majority here decide: 1) my casual vacancy appointment system hadn't actually been adopted and 2) the senator's party status is uncertain (I would be fine with the PAU appointing a replacement from their own membership but they are the ones who have said he was not of their party).

So unless additional information comes to light I'm going to assume the departed Senator was an independent and will update my records acaccordingly.

Well, if the PAU has a candidate to go there, I don't mind starting with the system that Sir Melda has mentioned before, as I agreed it was a perfectly fine system. Either way (voting or assigning) is agreeable.

((Melda Travels, Day 11: Hoi An

Started the day with an excellent sleep in in our ginormous bed and the day got better with much delicious food and amazing Vietnamese iced coffee (we had four each to break up the day spent wandering the streets of this market town; very delicious, very caffeinated --- Vietnamese coffee is STRONG).

We were excited to discover a genuine hipster coffee house ; it was great! The staff all wore vests and trilby hats. And the coffee was the best we've had in the entire trip.

Visited the tailors to get inexpensive but good quality work clothes ; I now have three new identical copies of a pair of my microfibre trousers that I wear every day --- less regular washing machine visits for me from now on!

Got the flight situation rectified. Unfortunately couldn't move the international flight which sucks, especially because the coming Monday is a public holiday so we actually get home two whole days before we need to. Moved our final domestic flight in Vietnam forward a day to ensure we make it to our international flight. As there weren't any economy seats left I had to book in business class so that's put us out of pocket a bit. On the bright side: business class! I don't think I've ever flown business class before.

Because I returned to the hotel to fix our flights and left my wife to wander the markets I discovered I received a lot of invitations for massages as I walked down the streets. This doesn't happen when I'm with my wife.

After dinner we were walking back to the hotel when we heard a group of dogs barking.

Abruptly the sound ceased.

The sounds came from a restaurant with no lights on. Vietnam is a country where dog appears on the menu in some quarters. I haven't seen it first-hand. Local opinion seems divided between horror and enthusiasm.

On that note: photos. First is a shot of the town lights, the second is the view of lanterns down a quiet street and third is that I felt like something familiar to eat (the picture doesn't do it justice ; it looked much better in person).))

Attachments

• DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 36
Okay, well, seeing as how neither of the two potential senators has actually replied to the thread, I'll generate an NPC senator for the seat for the time being. So, you can begin your discussions over orders while I take care of the stuff on my end.

Top Bottom