Refined Poll: your standing with the game

Refined Poll: Your standing with the game

• Total voters
Dislike the game, no longer playing.

The folks at Firaxis should be ashamed of themselves but they're too busy laughing to the bank with our money to hear us. They gave us a crappy unfinished product. I think it's completely unethical what Firaxis and other companies in the market have been doing lately. Seriously... this industry generates more revenue than the movie industry and competition in the future will only get more intense. Would you enjoy a movie that had crappy editting and horrible acting? Wouldn't it be a slap in the face if they took your hard earned cash and said... give it a couple of months and come back and watch... we *should* have it ready then.

I'm still waiting...

Dislike and no longer playing. Combination of it being just a little bit too dull (nothing that happens in the game feels significant or eventful) and not performing well on my MacBook Pro (making the game feel both sludgy as well as kludgy).

Love the game and have already completed more games than I ever did on CIV4.

Like, but stopped playing. The AI is far too predictable and it always feels like you are being pushed towards a military victory because of it (in particular, AI still not good at war, can be easily outlasted in a war of attrition due to continuing to pump out units regardless of anything else).

In order to win a culture vic you literally need to be on an island alone with a few good luxuries, for science you just like to watch/play with your food (you could have won with military 50+ turns sooner), and time vic is even worse than science. It's not a 4x game if the 4 ways to win are pretty clearly scripted and one way (military) is vastly superior to the rest.

Also, after all the hotfixes and patches, I STILL cannot complete a game on a huge map with good hardware (i7, 5870) because the bloody game will crash. If the game prefers to be dominated then so be it, but it won't even let me do it on a huge map? Maybe at least get a couple ai's to gang up on me via diplomacy? Too much to ask?

"Builders" should really try mods. There are many mods that add a lot of buildings and modify the existing.
Actually, almost everyone who doesn't enjoy the game should install a lot of mods, especially ones that improve areas you don't like.
I played maybe two hours without mods the rest 95ish hours where with. Sure the mods made the game a bit more bearable but it was still quite dull.

I guess I'm waiting for when 4 or so months have pasted after the release of the SDK. Hopefully someone can make something fun out of the game.

I dislike the game, and I've stopped playing it because all of the features other than 1UPT/hexes are poorly implemented.

Would you enjoy a movie that had crappy editting and horrible acting?
CiV5 is more like a movie with a terrible plot/script.

"Builders" should really try mods. There are many mods that add a lot of buildings and modify the existing.
Actually, almost everyone who doesn't enjoy the game should install a lot of mods, especially ones that improve areas you don't like.

...or maybe, stop relying on modders to fix the developer's mistakes?:crazyeye:

I like the game, but not really playing it at the moment since right now I'm doing other things. No doubt will come back to it though.

My problem with the game is that every time I start a new game I think "wouldn't it be even better if..." and then proceed to plan a mod, then realise I don't have the time to implement the changes I want to, then start another game instead. That said, I do like the base game.

I dislike it (Civ5) ...
Actually, Minesweeper is more fascinating and has more replay value than this travesty of a Civ game.

This has to be the ultimate insult. :)
ROFL! :lol:

I'm in the Civ4 part of the forum, but, I like to check up on what everyone thinks of Civ5.

Now, where did I put that Minesweeper game...

I kinda like it, but have stopped playing (after 100+ hours) to get my jollies from Civ3 and SMAC. Had a brief flirtation with Elemental: War of Magic, but that needs fixing too.

It's the incongruities and machine hungriness that make it less fun. I don't like units jumping into the water and morphing into ships (I like to plan my logistics chain). I find it annoying that a General and a worker can't be on the same tile. I've had to use low graphics settings to avoid crashes, but the game still doesn't 'zip' for me - there's so much waiting. I don't like all the screens and accept/don't accept that 2K make us go through to use mods.

I'm waiting for a patch or expansion, not sure if I'll spend too much more money on it though.

I voted B although it could have been D. I am done with the game until such a point that it fulfills a lot more of its potential. IMO a lot of the variety and replayability got streamlined out of this iteration of the series; I've only played as much as I have thanks to modders fixing the immediate gameplay and balance issues.

With a lot of official and unofficial work then perhaps Civ 5 will play better in a year or so, I will keep an eye on it.

D. Not quite accurate, though. I try it when new patches show up to see if it's more... attention-grabbing, I suppose. So far I keep on going back to Civ4 after half a game or so of Civ5.

4:00 pm MST, Jan. 23, 2011.

So far, 80 people are still playing the game regardless of their like or dislike for it.

So far, 111 people are not playing the game regardless of their like or dislike for it.

I wonder how frantically the folks at Firaxis are working on patches right now given the polarization of the fan base. If I was Sid Meier, and he still had hair, I would be losing some right about now!

Stopped playing it because it was crafted as a money maker by so called "widening the fanbase". Its not a Strategy game, its just an excuse to bleed off the previous good name of the Civilisation Franchise.

There is no excuse, they destroyed one of the most famous Franchises in the games Industry to satisfy greed - and no I dont accept comparison's with the "others who do the same thing".

..... or similar crys to "thats the way things are now" - because it damn well is not. Pointless listing all the travesties, its all been said before.

Fireaxis et al should be ashamed of themselves, its a disgrace.

Voted B because of happiness and Diplomacy.

Voted B because of happiness and Diplomacy.
Oh yeah, the utterly, irredeemably broken happiness system of Civ V:

Thanks for the nuke!
In a game I'm currently playing, America has nuked 3 of my cities in the last few turns. As a result of being nuked three times, my happiness has... gone up? Significantly. I'm now running at approximately 140 happiness, up from about 125, thanks to the large population reduction in the affected cities.

4:00 pm MST, Jan. 23, 2011.

So far, 80 people are still playing the game regardless of their like or dislike for it.

So far, 111 people are not playing the game regardless of their like or dislike for it.

I wonder how frantically the folks at Firaxis are working on patches right now given the polarization of the fan base. If I was Sid Meier, and he still had hair, I would be losing some right about now!

Note that not all of those 111 people have necessarily lost hope in the game. Everyone's waiting for patches.

Everyone.

Top Bottom