Religion modmods

This is the complete Salt modmod at this time. See here for details. The extras have been added.

It has a couple of problems:-

1) Either the not in same city as building X (PrereqNotBuildingClasses) tag is not working for normal buildings, or it is not working with a list or the Force Override tag in Hydro's files.

2) It is ruining trade as there is no need to salt as everyone can get it. This is a very good reason to remove salt from the game imo. I did consider making the evaporation buildings national wonders until corporations when they could be replaced by the normal version but don't know if any corporations use salt, and anyway everyone still ends up with salt.:(

Well... salt IS pretty common and readily available to a civilization that has figured out how to derive it from their environment. Whether they can trade it or not isn't really the issue with that resource I don't think... it's how fast they can get it that can make a difference due to the tanning building.

Except that salt trade was and is still big. How would Mahatma Gandhi have done his famous protest if every city in India had salt production?

So did you tweak Hydro's buildings? Or will you restrict or remove them? Acquiring the resource salt was a major strategy factor in this mod for quite some time. But now it's really not.

JosEPh

I tried to improve what Hydro/Faustmouse did with the salt buildings. There is a problem with the tags on the XML which means I could not.

To fix it properly we probably need a new Lake Shore and Deep Lake terrain do that you can't build the salt extraction buildings on the fresh water lakes.

Making salt a quantity resource not just a one salt resource supplies all you need. Would be the only way to fix it properly but that would require major AI work; although there are mods out there that have converted to quantity, the End of War mod for example, so there may be code we can use or base our code on.

1) Either the not in same city as building X (PrereqNotBuildingClasses) tag is not working for normal buildings, or it is not working with a list or the Force Override tag in Hydro's files.

I don't think any of my Salt buildings have Force Override since they were new buildings and thus not replacing a core one.

I see... as usual the question becomes WHY did India not have native salt? Were the oceans there incapable of providing for some reason? What made the oceans there incapable while the oceans elsewhere were? Is salt only collectable in some places on the coast? If so should we make salt a coastal resource as well and take out the building that auto-converts it? If we need to take steps to improve the global model then maybe that's what we'll need to do...

I see... as usual the question becomes WHY did India not have native salt? Were the oceans there incapable of providing for some reason? What made the oceans there incapable while the oceans elsewhere were? Is salt only collectable in some places on the coast? If so should we make salt a coastal resource as well and take out the building that auto-converts it? If we need to take steps to improve the global model then maybe that's what we'll need to do...

You´ll need arid climate, having more water evaporate than raining down. Maybe you don´t have that in India (though I don´t know for sure). The regular cyclones devastating the coasts with storms and heavy rains won´t help either.

Oh dear what do they teach in schools these days!:lol: <sound bite>Gandhi went to the coast and picked up some salt in defiance of the British insisting all salt be bought from them.<end sound bite>

Espionage tweaks Work in progress.
The aim is to separate the Great Spy from Scotland Yard by introducing a number of espionage elements that build up over time. Scotland Yard then becomes a crime fighting wonder instead.

Part of the problem is that in the West spy stuff doesn't start to be used much before the Renaissance whereas in the more civilized parts of the world they were used a lot earlier.

Buildings - Spy Hideout and Spy Safe House - these are intended as a place for your spies to recover from missions else where. They provide a small amount of counter espionage. They look like Need to change missions so that the spies go to the nearest safe house after a mission rather than back to your capital.

Great Spy buildings provide free spy buildings in all cities.

New Spy type - Sleeper Cell from Sevo's "Faces of God" mod. The AI does know how to use these units and does. Basically they are a special spy unit that is harder to detect. They need some new missions.

This needs much more stuff to fill out the various aspects.

I would change the Scotland Yard Wonder to a flavor building and call it FBI for the USA and Federal Police for Australia for example.​
Islands an experiment

Reused from History Rewritten with graphics by hrochland.

Current placement is woeful but they look good, see pic. Note. I use alternative terrain graphics 1.​

What do the islands do? Can you settle the larger ones or are they just alternative resource points?

They are terrain feature only at this point both provide +1:hammers:. As I said they are just a copy from HR to see if they work. Unfortunately the mapscripts decide that they are excellent things to place in a bunch near starting cities and nowhere else. HR may have adjusted their mapscripts to fix the problem and we would need to do similar. It is a very low priority addition. ;)

Personally I'd like it if they could be settled and if units could get off on them yet keeping land units from being able to move from those plots.

I think they look GREAT and with some decent programming to back them could be a very VERY cool addition to the game as a whole, a crossover point between land and naval.

Those islands look cool. It would be great for Earth maps. I never liked how islands were represented on them. This creates a good alternative.

Perhaps we could even have a special "Island Town" improvement for them.

Are these intended to be a replacement for goody islands? Just asking. :)

Because, G.I's are removed from the map when found (like goody huts). Despite the bonus or otherwise - not very realistic when an island disappears.

Are these intended to be a replacement for goody islands? Just asking. :)

Because, G.I's are removed from the map when found (like goody huts). Despite the bonus or otherwise - not very realistic when an island disappears.

No. Goody Islands can't provide a yield bonus because they are poped as soon as they enter cultural borders.

In History Rewritten whener these graphics come from they use a very small hut as the goody island. I find that I can't see it on the map, but that is probably because I am old and my eyesight is going. Goody Islands can only occur on the islands and atols. We allow them on reefs and unoccupied coastal plots.

If I get the WLBO Indegionus Peoples working in C2C, there is a problem with the events not "compiling" then the hut graphic is replaced with a statue graphic representing the IP village.

I don't think it'd be too hard to have a goody island be replaced by a feature island as soon as its 'discovered'. Could be done in the code very simply... but I'd like to then see Goody Islands placed around in Ocean tiles at infrequent random if we did that.

Currently there are two options for Goody Islands

1) just mark them as goody huts with the correct terrain and feature requirements.
2) code where they can go.

We are using 1 but that means that we are getting fewer goody huts than you would get with 2 because the goody hut system places a number of huts based on number of players and the size of the map. Whera as with 2 the land huts are placed by the system and the code then adds extra island huts after. When we have multi maps it will be worse since we want goody huts (crashed probes etc) in space as well. It would be trivial to have the goody islands only appear on islands, atols, coral reefs and reefs. They are improvements that disappear when popped exposing the underlying feature.

Also the current system (1) works OK for placement but not for exploration. We need to examine the way the goody hut stuff works.

Top Bottom