Request: improved minimap

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
In my opinion the minimap in Civ3 looked much better.

For example, compare this one:

from the Civ3 replay

with the minimap in Civ4 on the normal screen:

or on the military advisor screen:

(Granted: these are jpg's.)

What I'd love to see as improvement is:
1. No cultural color on water.
2. City dots all of equal size.

I myself have absolutely no SDK or Python skills, so I all I can do it is offer it as a humble request, or suggestion. But I hope someone would like to take this on! :)

In my opinion the minimap in Civ3 looked much better.

For example, compare this one:

from the Civ3 replay

with the minimap in Civ4 on the normal screen:

or on the military advisor screen:

(Granted: these are jpg's.)

What I'd love to see as improvement is:
1. No cultural color on water.
2. City dots all of equal size.

I myself have absolutely no SDK or Python skills, so I all I can do it is offer it as a humble request, or suggestion. But I hope someone would like to take this on! :)

I agree with you, I really dislike the minimap in civ IV, its just plain ugly! I wish someone could make a mod that makes it look nicer.

There is a function in CvPlot.cpp

Code:
ColorTypes CvPlot::plotMinimapColor()
{

if ((getRevealedOwner(GC.getGameINLINE().getActiveTeam(), true) != NO_PLAYER) && !isRevealedBarbarian())
		{
			return ((ColorTypes)(GC.getPlayerColorInfo(GET_PLAYER(getRevealedOwner(GC.getGameINLINE().getActiveTeam(), true)).getPlayerColor()).getColorTypePrimary()));
		}
}

change to:

Code:
ColorTypes CvPlot::plotMinimapColor()
{

if ([B]!isWater() &&[/B] (getRevealedOwner(GC.getGameINLINE().getActiveTeam(), true) != NO_PLAYER) && !isRevealedBarbarian())
		{
			return ((ColorTypes)(GC.getPlayerColorInfo(GET_PLAYER(getRevealedOwner(GC.getGameINLINE().getActiveTeam(), true)).getPlayerColor()).getColorTypePrimary()));
		}
}

It is a little bit important to know where your cultural control extends over ocean. Some units, such as galleys, can cross ocean only inside cultural borders. I was surprised to learn this, but it is true. So in early games on archipelago mapscripts, this information is actually important for planning.

Sure, but you should be doing that type of planning on the full-size map. The minimap is no place to plan your invasion route!

RyanTheGreat, do you play with a mod usually? If so, maybe ask the mod creator if they'd incorporate this change. If not, maybe if you ask nicely someone will compile the DLL for you with just this change made. I can't do it at the moment as I don't have anything set up for doing the compile.

Top Bottom