1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Research Q&A

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Ozymandias, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

Does anyone know of a good source for Indian (especially Magadhan) city names and locations around 320 - 300 BC.

Thanks.

This thread is a really good idea by the way.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Civ3 Modding Archivist

Good luck :) Dates and names differ according to source. All I could find definitively was that Pataliputra was the capitol. Other possible cities include Sravasta, Saketa, Campaka, Varanasi, Rajagrha and Vaisali.

The problem is (1) most references regarding this place and era seem to focus on religious matters (2) the modern name of the area is "Bihar" and (3) you'll probably have better luck researching the Maurya Empire, as Chandragupta Maurya conquered Magadha ca. 322 BCE.

Happy Hunting,

Oz

3. Keroro

Oz - thanks for the reply. I've tried looking through the history books (and wikipedia) again, but the problems you noted are real stumbling blocks. I did come accross a rather useful map of the Mauryan Empire under Asoka, and unless anyone else comes up with any magical new sources I'll just use that for now.

Thanks again for your help. :)

4. Ozymandias

You're welcome. :) This map might help some as well -- at least it delineates between Chandragupta Maurya's realm ca. 305 BCE and Asoka / Ashoka's later conquests.

Best,

Oz

5. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

If you can track down a book called The History and Culture of the Indian People Vol.II: The Age of Imperial Unity (600 B.C. to 320 A.D.) it probably has what you want. I'm trying to get it from the publisher in India, but it's glacially slow trying to track it down. They have every other volume in the series except that one listed on their web site.

6. Ozymandias

Abebooks.com has "The Age of Imperial Unity: The History and Culture of the Indian People Volume II" listed for USD 14 ($14).

Best,

Oz

7. Keroro

@Blue Monkey - Yeah, that books seems to be pretty hard to find, I know that it's gonna be tough when the British Library doesn't have a copy :rolleyes:. The only place I've seen it is Abebooks where Oz pointed me.

Still, the map I'm working on is coming together OK, if maybe not entirely accurately :mischief:.

Thanks for your help again guys.