1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Research Q&A

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Ozymandias, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Luddi VII

Luddi VII Sheep farmer

Yes, I have made one for a long time ago and I'm making a complete new one. I have everything planned to begin modding the scen, but I haven't had time to do something yet. I think I'll begin tonight.:)

And it's for Conquests.

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

well, since i hadn't gotten any bites in a seperate C&C thread, i figure i'll defer to the experts ;)

i'm trying to brainstorm some ideas about improvements/wonders for my TCW scenario. now don't get me wrong, i have a slew of flavor improvements/wonders already in but now that i'm trying to stretch the start date back to 1950 (from '60), i need some ideas for the 1950-59 era. i had a few in mind already like Sputnik and maybe a 'Commercial Airline' or something...any other ideas fellas?

3. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

Here's a few:

1951 Color television introduced in U.S.

1954 First atomic submarine Nautilus launched (Jan. 21)

1959 St. Lawrence Seaway opens, allowing ocean ships to reach Midwest (April 25).

4. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

One more:

1951 First Electronic Computer The Remington Rand Corporation unveiled the first commercial digital computer, called the "UNIVAC" (Universal Automatic Computer). The "UNIVAC" followed the experimental "ENIAC," which had been developed in 1945. The first "UNIVAC" was sold to the Census Bureau.

5. El Justo

El Justo Deity

6. Spetznaz

Spetznaz Warlord

I have a problem with my new music,when I add them to a scenario.After some tracks have been played,the game allways crashes,any ideas what can do that?

7. Luddi VII

Luddi VII Sheep farmer

Does anyone know the order of battle for the Italian Army the 10th of June 1940?

8. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

9. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Does a civilization need to be able to build a unit in order to get it with a science age?

10. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Not sure if this is the right place for these questions, since previous questions are more historical. But I figured you guys could recommend a place to put it if its the wrong place.

How difficult would it be to mod a officer unit that acts as two units for the purpose of suppressing resistors, preventing flip etc?

How difficult would it be to mod spearman/pikeman units being more effective against mounted units?

I understand you couldn't do either via the standard editor, but maybe some way outside of that?

11. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

No, they're both impossible.

I would have but the question in a new thread, btw, as this thread is indeed more historically oriented, and not into "game mechanics" as your question is. No biggie though. :)

12. kicchi

kicchi Chieftain

hellow
    i can't speak english well.

so i am not sure that i should post this question to this thread.
    before i posted another wrong thread.

i used editor. i changed almost all.
    then i play game.
    then i found something wrong.
    when AD 1700 i used spy and watched berling which is AI's city, there is only walls.

what i want to say is that AI produce few city improvements.
    i can't understand why.
    i think perhaps they always produce offencive or diffensive ground units.
    or i think more fewer the population of the city is, less often AI produce city improvements.
    or i think fewer the stock of gold,more often AI produce wealth.
    but i don't know what is really wrong.

i want AI to produce more improvements.

another kind person taught me that, make cost of city improvements lower or check the flag on "build often".
    is there relationship between how often AI produce city improvements and cost of city improvements.

please help me.

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi kicchi.

first off, was the AI at war when you performed the spy mission? by this im ean that enemy arty could've knocked those buildings out.

if not, i would recommend giving your buildings a few more extras like maybe +1 happy face or something. i've done this in my TCW scenario and it's worked very well. specifically, the AI builds each improvement/building at the respective time frames.

my favorite and most effective method is to give a +1 happy face bonus to every city for each added building. the AI just can't ignore such a nice bonus like this and it doesn't skew game-play too much.

hope this helps!

14. kicchi

kicchi Chieftain

thanks resond Mr.

the AI is not at war.
    another man taught me giving city improvements culture point makes good effect.
    i will do the two way.

thanks very much.

15. kicchi

kicchi Chieftain

i have same question.

if i make the point of atttack ,defend, move,bombard,range,firing rate,more higher,
    will AI produce units more frequently?

16. wolf_brother

wolf_brother King

Hmm... well since this is the Research Q&A thread...

I'm currently working on a "old west" mod (manifest destiny and all that) and just really any relevant information on the subject would be good. Making the game itself will be easy, but research for civlopedia is always the hardest part. Any help?

(Also trying to keep this thread alive) :)

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hello again kicchi.

the AI will build specific units based primarily off of the A/D stats and the shield costs. other things like maintance come into play as well but the the A/D and costs are the 2 biggest thing.

for example, if you had two units, both w/ 6A/10D but one is 100 shields and the other is 50 then the AI will certainly build the latter.

the "AI Strategy" flags also come into play as well (ie 'Offense', 'Defense', etc)

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

wikipedia.org is a nice site that i often use to fill out my Civilopedia entries as well as to jog my memory. there are others of course but this one is chock-full of info.

19. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Not really appropriate to this thread, but the problem is probably that they're sampled at the wrong kbps rate (should be 128 kbps).

20. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

I have a question, can I make it so I have the same discounts as the Deity/Sid AI's?:mischief: