Revolution Random Events

jdog5000

Revolutionary
This thread is for brainstorming new random events or changes to existing events to make them work well inside the Revolution mod. I'll definitely be implementing several new events for the mod from what we come up with, but this is also a good place to sketch out ideas for events you might implement in a custom mod ... I definitely want to make the random event system integrate well with Revolution as the flexible and easy way to add new Revolution effects for custom mods.

Let the brainstorming begin!

Tribal rebellions! Tribal rebellions!

My idea is that when a city has newly been founded, a message will pop up warning that the nearby tribe of (civ name not yet in use) are angered that their land has been taken. One would have to pay an amount of gold, or a group of "tribal warriors" (archers, warriors, spearmen, that kind of stuff) will appear at the city and attack. If they manage to take the city, they settle down, rename it to the civ capital and life goes happy on

I was thinking that along the line of what happened with the U.S. entry into World War I, which had Germany's unrestricted submarine warfare on trading ships as a major cause, we could have an event where if a player sunk another player's ship with a submarine, then the player who benefits most from trade with the player whose ship was sunk and isn't involved in the same war will get a heavy negative diplomatic modifier, hopefully enough to draw them into the war if they are already annoyed enough with the country.

medwarth:

Cool idea! Kind of like a expansion of the negative event that happens when taking a goody hut sometimes. Works great with BarbarianCiv too.

StormLord:

Not too Revolution specific, but still interesting. To do this with the event system it would probably make sense to give the player choices. What ideas do you have? Also, would it be for any ship sunk by a submarine?

It's a little awkward since trade isn't explicit in Civ4, if you sink an aircraft carrier or a transport full of marines it'd be different than having a transport full of trade caravans from the Civ2 days. Maybe the international incident could be related to blockades instead?

I would recommend an event that, when a city has a somewhat high rev index, there might be a riot or something that would give you options on how to deal with it that might raise the rev index or cost you more money or something.

And the idea of dissidents destroying buildings was shot down early on as being "unfun", but with the random events, we can at least give the player the option to save the building at a cost or letting it be destroyed.

I would say that if there are multiple religions that some kind of altercation between the different religions would be a good idea... maybe a pogrom or something. Possibly the burning at the stake of a prominent religious dissident under Theocracy? Or just a regular old execution under another gov't type? Or maybe notification of capture of said individual and you get the choice of whether to execute them or not... :evil:

Perhaps an event where religions are 'lost', when the practitioners go to a nearby rival city who does have their religion as state religion, this possibly in the event of a theocracy. Possible options would be to abolish state religion, or abolish theocracy, or build them a temple, or forcibly convert them (lose less population than if they leave). An interesting module to add with this would be the component that allows religions to sometimes disappear depending on circumstances. After all, not necessarily the oldest religions stay the longest. Though this'd be better if you included some good custom religions found on the forum, such as Shinto etc.

Another idea would be an event where your culture becomes a large minority (30-40%) in a border town, and you could take over the city without war or trade, but have a relationship hit.

How about something where if you have a sufficient amount of spy points with another civ, and a small revolt occurs, you can pay some espionage points and some gold to push it over the edge into a rebellion, with the possibility of taking a diplo hit with the parent civ.

I have more ideas which I'll post later.

When one of your cities is starving, the ruler's wife could say something stupid like "let them eat cake" and piss off most of your nation.

And the idea of dissidents destroying buildings was shot down early on as being "unfun", but with the random events, we can at least give the player the option to save the building at a cost or letting it be destroyed.
Definitely, when riots occur or you turn down a revolution request ... it'd work like the current ___ was destroyed by an earthquake event.

Perhaps an event where religions are 'lost', when the practitioners go to a nearby rival city who does have their religion as state religion, this possibly in the event of a theocracy.
Certainly there should be some religious events for when you're operating a Theocracy, and your idea would work well for before cities get to revolt level. I'm basically thinking of building religious events that would fill in the current need for an inquisitor unit ...

I don't like the inquisitor model for removing religions for a couple of reasons, but mainly it's that an inquisition would really be a significant movement/event in an empire not some kind of 'unconversion.' The effects of an inquisition would be felt in many cities, it just doesn't seem possible to model that properly with an anti-missionary. Instead, there could be a couple of types of events that, depending on choices, could cause the religion to leave a city.

One type would be instigated by citizens following an oppressed religion like you mentioned and be localized to an individual city. Options would be somewhat similar to current peaceful religious revolt options (give money, switch civics, etc). In addition, you might receive a quest to build a temple or something in exchange for a big drop in Rev Index. The second would be more like what DPII was talking about, where perhaps your religious leaders were urging you to drive out some particular heretics with a national inquisition. Making this a national level event allows it to really be a big deal, with serious unrest and maybe even rebel units in the effected cities plus international relations modifiers etc.

How about something where if you have a sufficient amount of spy points with another civ, and a small revolt occurs, you can pay some espionage points and some gold to push it over the edge into a rebellion, with the possibility of taking a diplo hit with the parent civ.

I have more ideas which I'll post later.
Things like this are exactly what I'm looking for. An event offering you the chance to "sponsor" a revolt would be great. There should also be events with rebels requesting help in existing revolts which is something I've been thinking about, but definitely post what ideas you've got!

When one of your cities is starving, the ruler's wife could say something stupid like "let them eat cake" and piss off most of your nation.
Ha! And you'd have the option to buy tons of cake to try to smooth over the gaffe ... :goodjob:

Excellent ideas, keep them coming!

How about a Reichstag (sp?) like event? It'll be avaiable if you have a police state, and if you fund the burning (or bombing) of one of your own buildings and set up a patsy, your citizens will be a LOT happier.

Things like this would make the late games more diverse. EVERYONE ends up with universe suffrage, free religion, etc.

Another idea would to set up some event in another civilizations city and make it look like someone else did it, which would kinda push them both over for a war (and theres a chance you could get caught)

I'd recommend a rare, but "positive" event. Vassal Annexation. If someone is a vassal have a chance that they get annexed and become part of their master civ. This would create the chance for new revolutions but also it would freaky to see a medium civ jump in power because they annexed their vassal.

I'd recommend a rare, but "positive" event. Vassal Annexation. If someone is a vassal have a chance that they get annexed and become part of their master civ. This would create the chance for new revolutions but also it would freaky to see a medium civ jump in power because they annexed their vassal.

This already happens, though not through the event system. It only happens for really small civs (ie one or two cities) who also like their master though. Assimilation, as currently implemented, also doesn't require that the disappearing civ be a vassal under some circumstances.

Assimilation/annexation could certainly be expanded to allow slightly larger civs to assimilate if there was interest in this. I also plan to allow two tiny civs to band together if they are rebels from the same motherland under some circumstances as well.

How about random events relating to immigration? Like if a neighboring civ has your religion as a minority, maybe a group of refugees crosses the border illeagally to escape oppresion. You would have options to:

Accept them (happiness in cities, extra growth or pop in border cities, some foriegn culture added to border cities, negative on relations to neighbor)

Reject them (Unhappiness in cities, positive on relations to neighbor, added espionage points on neighbor for securing border)

There are lots of other varients of this that could be used. Ideally, an immigration mechanic would really enhance the religon and nationality aspects of this mod, but Random Events are a good place to start.

I think that AI leaders should retire from time to time, making their diplomacy stance with you more neutral. Like Julius reitre and gets replaced by Agustus. He don't know you as well as Julius did.

Not "friendly BAM! Neutral" :p
but a bit more neutral.

I often see the crashed airliner event. maybe just modifying to illegal drug deals or terrorist bombings. for example instead of American airliner has crushed in territory. Haver american drug dealers have been caught in Russia (or a terrorist bombing incident) - and then the options are assist with investigation etc. just more revolution flavor instead of airlines.

I'd also like to see an even where resources, like oil disappear. I know events can add resources. can it remove them?

I often see the crashed airliner event. maybe just modifying to illegal drug deals or terrorist bombings. for example instead of American airliner has crushed in territory. Haver american drug dealers have been caught in Russia (or a terrorist bombing incident) - and then the options are assist with investigation etc. just more revolution flavor instead of airlines.

I'd also like to see an even where resources, like oil disappear. I know events can add resources. can it remove them?

I like the random terrorist events.

And Ekmek, check the Next War mod -- there is a python script in CvEventManager.py that permits resource depletion.

Ok, another suggestion:

How about an event that, when a rebellion occurs in a nearby civ, they come to you and ask for help. This event would take place only the turn when a legitimate revolt happens, but the event would take place before the actual revolt. You can choose to support them financially at the cost of negative modifiers with the parent civ (which will cause the rebellion to spawn with more/better units), with intelligence (you lose some general number of espionage points, and the units they spawn with have more promotions) and perhaps either support them technologically (with beakers, or a tech you have that they don't) or maybe even production or some other newfangled way. You could also choose to alert the mother civ to the rebellion. Helping the rebels would increase your relations with them and worsen relations vs the parent civ, and vice versa for alerting the parent civ.

Ok, another suggestion:

How about an event that, when a rebellion occurs in a nearby civ, they come to you and ask for help. This event would take place only the turn when a legitimate revolt happens, but the event would take place before the actual revolt. You can choose to support them financially at the cost of negative modifiers with the parent civ (which will cause the rebellion to spawn with more/better units), with intelligence (you lose some general number of espionage points, and the units they spawn with have more promotions) and perhaps either support them technologically (with beakers, or a tech you have that they don't) or maybe even production or some other newfangled way. You could also choose to alert the mother civ to the rebellion. Helping the rebels would increase your relations with them and worsen relations vs the parent civ, and vice versa for alerting the parent civ.

GREAT!:woohoo::clap::woohoo:
I whas just about to post this idea but when i came here i read you had posted it! :lol:

We have organised rebels that makes a new civ and then there is unorganised (barbarians). Why not half organised? Like the western roman empire.
2 or 3 rebels civs comes up. At war with eachother or at least hate eachother for whatever reason, religion, want different civics... Whatever you can come up with. Maybe they both just want power.;)

It would be nice seing your former empire become a battlefield. :)

Ok, another suggestion:

Absolutely, this will definitely be in there. Money and espionage are easy to do, research is possible too though it won't help them much until they capture some cities. Your idea of having donated money turn in to other things (more units, promotions, etc) is definitely a good one, I'd been thinking about how to code the ability to either give or loan units to the rebels, it's certainly trickier than giving general financial support and having the rebels turn that in to units etc. :goodjob:

That said, and I don't want to spill too many beans, but DPII is working on some very interesting mercenary trading mechanics that will hopefully make this all possible ...

Top Bottom