1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's Catapult

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Rhye, Mar 18, 2006.

1. erikg88

erikg88 Warlord

Why isn't the newest version of the mod listed in the first post? I wish I could play, but my computer could never handle the map size.

2. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

:D Thanks! Of course I prefer realism in civ area terms than in terrain :)

3. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The majority of the people in this thread are very active here, so IMO there really isn't a need for Rhye to edit the first post every update. I may not post, but I check this thread every day, sometimes several times.

I enjoy this mod, just don't feel good enough to help with testing. Plus I don't have the time to put in as much work as everyone else. Keep up the good work guys, and thanks!

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

can anybody tell me how Simultaneous Turns work?
    Are they simultaneous with the human players only, with the AI at the end of turn, or are they all simultaneous?

5. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

IIRC they're all simutaneous, but the AI always moves first as it doesn't have to bother with moving the mouse or clicking it.

6. Barak

Barak Emperor

Resource tile bug in 065.

Playing as India (wow are they underpowered) South-west of Madras, in the jungle square that becomes aluminum I was able to clear the jungle when I researched Bronze working. Just an FYI

7. Barak

Barak Emperor

In my next startup as Spain, I noitced that Cadiz was my capital on startup, which had the city ruin icon, and I could not select the city :(

and by 770AD, this was still the case (in 0.65)

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Were you able to clear jungle or to mine it (and thus, clear jungle)?
    Mining jungle is allowed since bronze working, clearing it from biology.

So, you hadn't already founded Madrid, right?

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I have tried to turn the option on in this single player mod, but the AI seems to move before (or after) the human player.
    You seem to know the SDK very well, can you help me to achieve a simultaneous movement of player + AI? That would be the final solution to late game loading times

10. The Great Apple

I'm not sure I get what you want.

If you have the human and the AI moving at the same time, then the AI would complete all it's moves first, because it's so much faster than the human. If you were to implement it so the AI did moves in between human moves, then I'm pretty sure it would get very frustrating, very quickly. Would completely change the game.

11. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Well, India and Inca are weak. Very weak. India at least has a chance of colonizing Southeast Asia and Australia, since the human player can plan ahead and have settlers ready for the galleons. I had a very long lull of pressing enter every turn because Delhi was supplying my entire army and my two coastal cities had very low production. With no small neighbors to conquer, Persia growing big to the north, (they scare me, so I spread Hinduism in all their cities), and Rome and Arabia keeping my missionaries east of Jerusalem with no open borders, I am forced to wait for Astronomy to really sail the world with my settler horde.

Switched to Inca when I had the chance, but... :sleep: I figured I should beeline for Feudalism to put my gold to use before it was taken from me, and sure enough, a few turns after I upgraded all my archers to longbowmen, the Romans came calling for half of the remaining! Of course, I gave it to them, and used up the rest upgrading two of my quechas to macemen, so I have a sizeable army. While I have little to do in the way of exploring (cities building up infrastructure slowly), my tech rate is VERY fast; I am researching all techs in 4 turns or less! :eek: Only used two great scientists to make academies, as well. I wont catch up to the global powers, but I can eventually stand a chance against the other smaller countries at this rate. I'll come back to both of these games later.

For now, it's on to America! :rockon:

SilverKnight

EDIT: Oh yeah, both Hinduism and Buddhism were founded many turns AFTER I researched the necessary techs... at least I had them both this time.

On religions: get rid of Taoism, add in Polytheistic Mythology (ancient Egypt, Rome, and Greece all had it), and make Buddhism spread more in Asia. Buddhism is far bigger in Japan than Confucianism, and Chinese ideology doesn't need two seperate religions where the Mediterranian civs have none! :D

12. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

In the late game the AI can take 30 seconds or more to move, right?
    it would be grand if, like in other games such as Championship Manager or Football Manager, AI does its work on the background, during player's time. So that when he clicks end of turn, there is no wait at all.

13. junter

junter Chieftain

Sei italiano ? Cosa sarebbe il tuo progetto ? Se vuoi contattami tramite messenger davidebat89@hotmail.it

14. junter

junter Chieftain

Comunque con questo mod è possibile che una tua città della tua nazione diventi uno stato indipendente autonomo ?

15. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

-> India should actually be stronger than in some versions ago...

-> That religions change is on the to-do list, but I need graphics! Missionaries, buildings, intro movies, and music

-> Religion founding is still completely automatic in v65. Wait the next build!

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

sono online

17. The Great Apple

Aaah - I see what you mean.

The trouble is that most of the AI's thinking time consists of gathering information. If it were to think during the player's turn, then it would be trying to work out it's moves on incomplete information. You could, perhaps, make it so that any AI who had no chance of any contact with the human, or any other AI whose turn would be before it, and who hadn't fulfilled the same criteria as this one has to, would conduct their moves. The human wouldn't notice any difference (if it's done well enough to prevent lag during the turn).

It would, however, be very messy and time consuming to code, and, as always, there will be hidden details which might make it impossible.

18. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Sounds good.
    Shall we try then?

19. The Great Apple

Well I can't help much at the moment, as I don't have a computer with Civ with me.

There is also the issue that the human play can almost always influence things for the AI player, right up to the end of their turn (declaring war, and suchlike). It would be alot easier to manage in the early game than the late game (where you don't need it...) but probably doable in the late game to a small degree.

I'm certainly less convinced than I was yesterday, and I wasn't very convinced yesterday!

20. Winterfell

Winterfell Warlord

Don't bother then. The problem of long loading times are when you already have contact with all civilizations.