Rhyes Civ 4 map converted and adjusted

ecv

Chieftain
I took the liberty to convert Rhyes superb civ 4 earth map to civ 5, and (quickly) do the minor adjustments needed. All civs are included and most city states. Enjoy and all courtesy goes to Rhye.

Attachments

• RhyeSS2.jpg
    RhyeSS2.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 22,785
  • RhyesConverted4.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 5,322
Very nice. It was always a fun map. I just cringed when the plagues hit though.

I noticed that you left all the strategic resources at a value of "1" - which is problematic for gameplay. Might consider running through all of them and increasing to 4 across the board - or 4 near starts and 2 everywhere else.

edit: also noticed (yes, I know Rhye intended it this way) that there's no horses in the Americas, a few civs have no access to Iron at all - I think it would help gameplay to have these accessable to them. Also, the map could be spiffied up a bit with adding the continental coloring to it.

Excellent conversion. :goodjob:

However there are a few flaws that still needs to be ironed out before the job is done.

Rivers:
Several rivers all around the world are failing to connect with the ocean as they should.

Mountains:
Several Mountains in mountainous regions are blocking off passages that should not be blocked off:
- 29x 20y (Peru)
- 25x 28y (Ecuador)
- 19x 36y (Mexico)
- 98x 43y (Tibet)
- 51x 37y (Morocco)
- 76x 44y (Turkey)

Resources:
Pearls and Cotton are missing and will have to be added manually - as well as Natural Wonders.

Replacing the missing Pigs, Crab, Rice, Copper, Stone, Corn and Tobacco resources from the original Civ4 map with resources available in Civ5 would be a good idea as well.

Regarding horses in America then I don't think that adding those would be a good idea, but if you must then only a single source near Americas start position.

City States:
There is a Tyre Settler in the middle of the jungle in Ecuador!
Since Tyre would ideally share the same tile as Sidon they are going to be hard to place, so it might be better to rename both Tyre and Sidon to Antioch and Jerusalem and place them at 73x 41y and 73x 38y instead.

Personally I would also add a few more new City States:
- 49x 43y (Lisbon)
- 52x 44y (Madrid)
- 58x 39y (Carthage)
- 72x 28y (Axum)
- 68x 16y (Great Zimbabwe)
- 76x 40y (Babylon)
- 75x 44y (Trapezus)
- 84x 47y (Samarkand)
- 99x 51y (Karakorum)
- 98x 36y (Pagan)
- 28x 21y (Cusco)
- 25x 28y (Quito)
- 22x 35y (Tikal)
- 26x 38y (Havana)
- 34x 11y (Buenos Aires)
... etc. etc.

Agree about the "1" value for strategic resources being a real problem in the game. It just throws off everything if an empire has but 1 or 2 of each.

Thank you for your great comments, here's a new version.:)

- The resources have been changed to either 4 or 2 depending on their location.
- The rivers should now be fixed. If any are still landlocked or otherwise incorrect please let me know.
- Removed the Tyre CS.
- Added a few wheat in SE asia, since I think the civs there suffer the most from the missing resources of civ4.
- Added the rock of Gibraltar and a few marshes.
- Fixed the passages blocked by mountains

If anyone else feel like improving the map further feel free to do so. I probably wont have time for it before sunday.

Attachments

• RhyesConvertedAllCivsResFixed.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,235
Thank you for your great comments, here's a new version.:)

- The resources have been changed to either 4 or 2 depending on their location.
- The rivers should now be fixed. If any are still landlocked or otherwise incorrect please let me know.
- Removed the Tyre CS.
- Added a few wheat in SE asia, since I think the civs there suffer the most from the missing resources of civ4.
- Added the rock of Gibraltar and a few marshes.
- Fixed the passages blocked by mountains

If anyone else feel like improving the map further feel free to do so. I probably wont have time for it before sunday.

Great job :king:

Screenshots please?

Got a spontaneous CTD around 150 AD playing as Egypt. :(

(Wish you´d used my corrected version of Rhye´s BTW; for instance, Egypt has no access to Copper/Gold like it should.)

Here's a new version with the following improvements.

- Added the various features.
- Added pearls and a few other luxury resources in various places.
- Minor changes to the placement of early stategic resources in Europe.
- Removed Genoa and added Monaco one tile left.

Mhmm need more oil in Arabian desert please!

Edit:
on a side note...if i download the second update i cannot get the game to recognise it?
I extract the file into my game / mods folder but the game doesnt show it up to enable??? I think your v1 is not valid as its named "earth" and there is a default "earth" map already...and the RhyesConverted2.zip update is not named the same so i cant just copy and paste it over v1 download to enable it !! :(

Edit2:
I have downloaded v1, deleted earth v1 map and installed the update above.. and renamed it Earth.Civ5Map and it now shows up.,,but its only a large size map not huge ?? :(

You should put it in your Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps folder

First of all, i really like the map and appreciate your work you spend on converting it!

After a first glimpse at the alpha you uploaded, i opened in worldbuilder and made some of the mentioned refinements in here by myself. I also removed some city states and eurpean civilizations, because i wanted to play as germany.

UNfortunatly, after playing ~170 turns (Bismarck, emperor, epic), the game is ALWAYS passing out (freezing while beginning to calculate foreign actions) at the end of the turn where BC is becoming AD.

I really tried everything, i.e. reloading autosaves 10, even 20 turns before, quicksave couple of turns before and made completly different things - nothing changed!!!:cry:

I´m posting here, because i want to figure out, if someone is experiencing the same problem, and if, is it solvable, or is it "mapspecific" and thus this game is ruined?:(

Got a spontaneous CTD around 150 AD playing as Egypt. :(

(Wish you´d used my corrected version of Rhye´s BTW; for instance, Egypt has no access to Copper/Gold like it should.)

Yeah I crash around 75AD as America tried over and over again. Too bad though I this was one of my best playthroughs so far D :

I like to play as england, i personally would move edinburgh up a tile.

But biggest problem i recieve on this conversion is as soon as i meet a city state, i meet ceasar or another primary plyer from the other side of the globe.

I get diplomatic contact with them and as i press goodbye, the welcom text they had changes back into barbarian city state.

Is there a way to just remove city state when playing this map? since you have to tick scenario, the advanced setup becomes blocked.

* playing with worldbuilder * (see if i can figure it all out :) )

Top Bottom