Rhye's flag decal pack

Rhye

's and Fall creator
here's a collection of decals you can use as alternatives.

First row shows standard flags.

Second and third rows show the decals contained in the pack.

Let's see what's new:

America1: 13 stars pattern, from early flags
America2: an eagle
Arabia: palm tree, shown in saudi coat of arms as symbol of Arabia
Aztecs1: double headed serpent, famous from some sculptures
Aztecs2: eagle with serpent. It's the mexican flag symbol, representing the founding of Tenochtitlan
China1: people's republic logo, featuring Tiananmen square in the centre
China2: Tiananmen palace only
Egypt1: the pschent, symbol of the crown of united high and low Egypt
Egypt2: an ankh, the "egyptian cross"
France1: 3 fleur-de-lys pattern, as it was on French flags for many centuries.
France2: the coq, symbol of Gaul and symbol of modern France in sports
England: 3 lions, used before the cross, since the crusaders times. It can be found in 1000AD scenario as well.
Germany1: Luftwaffe symbol. It was on every ww2 plane
Germany2: an eagle, used since the first reich up to nowadays. This particular shape represents republican Germany
Greece1: the Athenian owl, symbol of democracy. It is on the back of every Greek 1 Euro coin. Also featured in Greek World mod
Greece2: a lambda, symbol of Sparta.
Inca1: symbol of Quechua people
Inca2: the sunmask artifact
Japan1: the land of the rising sun now has its rising sun
Japan2: symbol of Tokugawa
Mali1: a kanaga mask
Mali2: just a kanaga. It used to be in the middle of modern Mali flag
Mongolia: a full Soyombo
Persia: the Derafsh Eagle, used as a flag by Achaemids. Also included in Greek World mod
Rome1: S.P.Q.R. in the middle of laurels
Rome2: a Labarum or Chi-Ro. Can be used for representing late empire. Also included in 1000AD scenario as Byzantine flag
Spain1: the Castillan castle
Spain2: a famous bull shape
Barbarian: a different design

Attachments

• flags_comp_final1_A.jpg
    flags_comp_final1_A.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33,543
the file.

Consider it's just a collection.
To use them, you should take the ones you want, put them in a mod subfolder (Mods\Flags\Assets\Art\Interface\TeamColor) and put an edited CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml inside Mods\Flags\Assets\XML\Art.

I can't do that myself, because each one of you is free to choose his one combination.

For example, in my games I'd use America, Arabia, Aztecs, France, Greece, Inca, Mali, Rome and Spain from the 2nd row only

Attachments

• RhyesFlagDecalPack.zip
    63.1 KB · Views: 11,605
Excellent collection. You have managed to retain the symbols of each civilization without being tempted to simulate the flags of the modern nations.

Only one complaint: as a Spanish, I do suggest you change or remove the bull. Although it may look funny, it has political and cultural meanings and cannot be representative of the country.

I should give you an alternative, but I find it difficult to find a symbol that represents Spain for itself alone. At least four should be combined, as you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_coat_of_arms

Probably the same thing happens to most countries, so I would leave the castle for Spain, which is the castilian symbol.

I definitely like the Crown of the Two Kingdoms! :goodjob:

:nuke: Cheers Thorgrimm :nuke:

Evol said:
Excellent collection. You have managed to retain the symbols of each civilization without being tempted to simulate the flags of the modern nations.

Only one complaint: as a Spanish, I do suggest you change or remove the bull. Although it may look funny, it has political and cultural meanings and cannot be representative of the country.

I should give you an alternative, but I find it difficult to find a symbol that represents Spain for itself alone. At least four should be combined, as you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_coat_of_arms

Probably the same thing happens to most countries, so I would leave the castle for Spain, which is the castilian symbol.

Why not the 2 Eracle's column?

I'm not 100% on what to edit. Could you make it a bit clearer, Rhye?

BTW, congrats about being thanked in the manual!

Where do you unzip this?Tell me please,this is the first time I downloaded a flag pack

I don't see any entry in the civinfos to point towards those decal diles...

EDIT: nevermind i found it... not in the Civinfos file btw - but rather in the Artdefine file... Editing this game is like a goose chase.

G.

Rhye said:
what's the political and cultural meaning of the bull?

Well, it speaks for itself. We are not all bullfighters. Besides, although many Spaniards are unaware of it, a Spanish flag with a bull is like the modern version of the eagle used by Franco's dictatorship. While some people will like it a lot, others will go:' oh, nooo!...'

And yes, that bull shape was first used by a powerful family of brandy makers to label their bottles. It has become today a symbol, but as I say, it's very controversial and not neutral.

It may sound weird, but bullfighting wouldnt exist nowadays in Spain if politicians didn't still support it with public money, because it doesn't generate enough income.

Rufus T. Firefly said:
Why not the 2 Eracle's column?

Not bad idea. But I think they wouldn't look as nice as the castle visually speaking. And they are still a Castilian symbol, representing the expansion of the kingdom beyond the Atlantic ocean.

That's right. That's why I said the castle alone will do fine. And the one you made looks very nice. The firaxis one looks like a LOTR tower.

Top Bottom