RifE 1.20 Download and Changelog

And, the Top Secret Module really is Top Secret. :p

Well, that sure was fun.

It doesn't even work at the moment, causes a CtD when the spell is cast.

Now the secret's out in the open.....
Got any cool ideas for items?

NO! Not til I can get it working, and 1.3 is released.

So, until 1.3 is released, I will post in this one.

Better get a move on ;)

Hmm, still not creating a thread for ItemShop yet.
But, I may create one for item ideas. :p

Ideas that aren't potions (covered by apothecary) or equipment (covered by the various Master such-and-such buildings)? How about:

Spoiler :

Diary-+.03xp per turn up to 1xp (requires FlatXP mod). Requires Writing tech.

Bronze Star-Grants Corporal promotion (the lowest CoC rank if that's not it). Bannor only.

Improved Feed-+1 Movement. Mounted units only. Requires Corn and Wheat resources.

Beacon of Light-Reduces Armageddon Counter by 1 when equipped, but 1% per turn chance of spawning some big, nasty demon barbarian unit in an adjacent tile. Destroyed rather than dropped on unit defeat. Requires Good player and Righteousness tech.

Weights and Measures-10% reduction in purchases made through this unit. Requires Trade tech.

Bag of Tacks-+20% Defense Strength vs. Giantkin (one use).

Compass-Immunity to Diakonos' Lost spell and some bonus in dealing with Sidar Mist. Requires Iron resource and Cartography tech.

Hunk of Meat-+2 First Strikes against animal/beast units (destroyed with use). Requires any meat resource.

Fur Coat-Prevents blizzard damage. Requires Fur resource.

Everlasting Cantine-Removes desert penalty. Requires Elementalism tech.

Bandit Scarf-Gain Hidden Nationality and auto-pillage, but +10% chance of becoming a barbarian unit each turn.

Precious Locket-Remember your loved ones and find a reason to live. +10% Retreat chance. Requires Crafting tech and Gold resource.

Fireworks-Removes one temporary unhappiness from city when used (must be on a city tile) and destroys item. Requires Gunpowder resource and tech.

Magic Seeds-+5% chance per turn to create a New Forest in a non-forested tile, removes item when it occurs. Requires a recon tech (whatever is a tier later than Priesthood as this mimics the FoL priest ability).

Calf/Sow/Cotton Seeds/etc-Like Magic Seeds, but spread a particular organic resource. 1% chance or less (probably much less, or this needs to be very expensive) per turn of spreading the resource, and none if a resource is present, even if unseen. Requires the resource in question (the idea is you could trade to get access to a resource and then buy several of these to try your luck at getting it domestically.

Citizenship Papers-+5% city defense. Requires Courthouse improvement.

Keg of Drin's Best-+2% Heal rate. Requires Ale resource. [Drin was a elf cleric in a game I GMed 5 or six years who retired to start a Brewery after saving the world. I suppose any name would do].

Lucky Rabbit's Foot-+5% chance to avoid bad lair results.

Hunting Dog-+10% vs barbarian animals/beasts. Requires Hunting tech.

Spyglass-+1 Visibility Range. Requires Optics tech.

Emergency Rations-Can be used once for +2 movement.

Feather in a Cap-+1 Ranged Attack Strength. Archery units only.

Writer's Pen-+20% vs. Swordsman, cannot be equipped by melee units. Requires Writing tech.

Strategy Guide-When projected combat odds are at least 50%, victory is automatic, with no damage, but SG is lost and no experience is gained. Requires Writing tech.

DM Guide-100% chance to avoid negative lair result (once, the reroll could still be bad) 10% per unit level chance that the item is lost when used. Requires Writing tech.

Portable Hole-Activates if unit fails a retreat attempt. Same effect as dungeon "Go through the portal" event. Requires Pass Through the Ether tech.

Reliable Belt-Because keeping your pants on in battle is important. +5% Strength.

Helm of Learning-Same effect as Valor but neither expires nor requires law mana. Cannot be equipped with any other Helm. Requires Divination tech.

Fixed Die-If the possessing unit fails a retreat check or a unit it's fighting succeeds in a retreat check, the result is dismissed and rechecked and the item is lost. Requires Mathematics tech.

Ring of Power-Gives +20% Strength, +30% vs barbarians. Once a certain number have been bought, the One Ring becomes available as a lair reward. Once equipped, all units equipped with a Ring of Power are transferred to the player with the One Ring. Once the One Ring is found, no more Rings of Power are available. Requires Crafting (the idea is that this should be tempting early on with experienced units all going to the lucjy dungeon explorer).

Fizbin of Misfortune (I doubt I spelled that right)-prevents healing of any unit in the stack, and inflicts 5% damage to all units in stack. If possessing unit is defeated in combat, it's transferred to the winner, otherwise it behaves in the same manner as Spirit Guide (receiving unit also gets a Fizbin). AI players need to be taught to suiced such a unit asap.

I see there's a thread now. I will copy this over there, so please don't respond here.

Hi,

Sorry to distract from the 1.3 discussion, but I'm having trouble getting 1.23 up and running. I have a fresh install of Civ 4 with BTS, and I downloaded the 1.20 file and unpacked it into the BTS Mods directory. Then I applied the 1.23 patch to that directory. Then I edited the RifE shortcut to point at the location of my BTS executable (it wasn't in my root directory ;-) ).

Here's the problem: when I try to start RifE from the shortcut, Win 7 drops to some lower color mode and then Civ4 crashes before it even really gets started. When I try to start vanilla Civ4 and launch RifE from there, RifE isn't even listed in the available mods. It's definitely in the BTS Mods directory, though.

Is this a known problem? Something new? Have I done something boneheaded (seems likely)?

Thanks for your help.

As it turns out, boneheadedness was the source of the problem, as is so often the case.

I had assumed that the "Gold Edition" or whatever it's called of Civ4 that I had included all the patches. Not so. After updating from the 3.17 that came with the install to 3.19 of BTS, the shortcut works just fine.

Sorry for the distraction. By all means, please resume your 1.3 speculation! I'm off to explore 1.23 ;-)

Spoiler :

Improved Feed-+1 Movement. Mounted units only. Requires Corn and Wheat resources.
Sorry, but i LoL'd. In League of Legends "feeder" refers to the player who allows himself to be killed a lot and thus carries a negative and hilarious emotional hue. "Improved Forage":rolleyes:?

Sorry, but i LoL'd. In League of Legends "feeder" refers to the player who allows himself to be killed a lot and thus carries a negative and hilarious emotional hue. "Improved Forage":rolleyes:?

I realize you are not a native English speaker, so your mistake here is fine; The word 'feed' is a far more accurate term than forage, however.

One definition of "Feed" is : "food, esp. for farm animals, as cattle, horses or chickens."

His promotion there does not refer to an improved ability to find food, but improved stored food for the animal (Alfafa instead of Hay, for example). His usage is completely correct. ;)

Top Bottom