rifleman's Units

rifleman

Varangian Guard
My First Unit - Varangian Guard

I've been learning how to make units in my spare time for a little while now, reading the tutorials and tips from Utah, Kinboat and others, and learning how to make props from Bjornlo, Plotinus and others. But while I've made a bunch of models, I haven't found the time to animate anything - until now.

The Varangian Guards of Constantinople are some the best warriors from history, so they seemed like the best place to start. Here's a preview -

What do you think? The model is pretty much done, but it's taking me a while to work through each animation. Any suggestions? questions?

Remember don't hesitate to use the animation libruary if you can't get your own animations down pat. I can't get a sword to swing good for the life of me so I use Mosca's animations he uploaded for example. But wanting to make your own animations is an admirable goal.

Remember don't hesitate to use the animation libruary if you can't get your own animations down pat. I can't get a sword to swing good for the life of me so I use Mosca's animations he uploaded for example. But wanting to make your own animations is an admirable goal.

Um, Mosca? Swords? Where? :hmm:

He looks great, but it's hard to offer general comments on how to animate him, since you probably know what an axe swing looks like. If you don't, I'm sure it's possible to find clips of such things on YouTube or elsewhere. One good tip for animating this sort of thing is just to pick up a broom or something and try it yourself. This should give you a good idea of how the body moves in such an action - not simply the arms but the torso, feet, and so on too.

If that's a two-handed axe, bear in mind that two-handed weapons are harder to animate than one-handed ones. There's a trick to parenting one hand to the weapon so that you only move one arm and the other moves automatically with it; let me know if you need info on this.

This looks as it can be a very nice first unit. Can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup:

Thanks everybody, and thanks Embryo, I appreciate that.

If that's a two-handed axe, bear in mind that two-handed weapons are harder to animate than one-handed ones. There's a trick to parenting one hand to the weapon so that you only move one arm and the other moves automatically with it; let me know if you need info on this.

Yeah I've noticed how hard it's been to get two handed swings right - even Kinboat didn't do it with his Landsknecht - but I'm determined to do it

When do you start taking requests? :p

Top Bottom