Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

This is seriously not the place for this subject but, in short, cities and units have been placeable since the civconquest editor came out. You need to tick custom player data, then set active player(space bar) and then you have the 'add unit' and 'add city' buttons on the toolbar. I hope pink does not mind the hijacking of his thread! But that should be an end to it. :)

Actually I am glad you asked as I too was wondering that! I hate the way the A/I builds a trillion settlers and builds on every stinking piece of free ground!

sorry wrong thread :)

Thanks for the new patch Pink!

.941 (on consul) feedback:

Here's the notable parts in the game so far:
1st punic war - took Sicily (+ 2/3 of Caspian Celts cities shortly after peace with Cartho) since they sided with the Carthinogens. My minor Greek allies got taken over by Carthage. Carthage is doing much better with 4 "marines" at a time, making Sicily harder to keep. I called for peace with a stack of ~12 mercs and 1 barca next to Pisae. It had no chance, peace was it's only salvation!

The Pirates have been eliminated. Arghhh...

2nd punic war - finished taking the islands near italy. Most time spent simply reducing the masses of Carthinogens.. with no trimuphus (needs civitas) yet the troops don't recover fast enough to provide enough combat power to break out. I've taken 2/4 of the Cartho controlled cities in Greece, but their fleet will likely keep it at that. It's 182BC and I'm near CarthagoNova with a few units. The Carthagos blew up a road early in the war, which slowed my mob. Legions *need* roads! My ppl are rioting/starving, but the war must continue till CarthagoNova is taken!!

The AI "blockaded" a city! Both my local transports were in that city. All 3 water tiles were occupied till they could bombard the transports to death.

The treasury is at 1665. In the next peace time the Pharus (10 maintinence now!) will get built. All the cities have been too busy pumping out velites to counter the Cartho hordes. Legios take too long for most. Eques are too fragile. MilesSocius are ok, but can't build roads, or clean up slaves. Praetor (also expensive!) has been built. CircusMaxiumus has been built (Cartho gave the slave resource to end the 1st punic war).

The castrum in Pisae produced it's 1st servus :)

Problems:
1. carthage has too many boats. I can see 20+ ships near Greece. They pound anything on the coast into the red and sink all my boats. I can not build anywhere near enough ships to do anything about it. The corvus are too slow to be effective. The tremis summa retreat to 3 tiles away, so attacking would leave my ships exposed to the counterattack. Maybe all the corvus supporting the offensive in Spain is what needs to happen? Getting rid of the bomardment on the tremis summa would help considerably since Cartho has so many of them.

Carthage should control the seas. Masses of boats will do that, but all of them having bombardment extends that dominance onto the land as well.
Getting rid of it just for the tremis summa should yield the desired effect.

2. fast road builders are needed (2mp + large work function). Armies are a good fit, but there are very few of them. Julius Caesar's army in Gaul claimed to have built a fort in a day so they could fend of the coming attack. IIRC they built a bridge over the Rhine in 6 days. Maybe a larger work function for the armies is more accurate?

In earlier versions I'd have stacks of velites to build the roads necessary to keep the legions moving. Now it will just be a slower advance (longer wars, more casualties) :(

3. miles aux still says it can upgrade to straios, but the upgrade flag isn't checked (same with eques legionares). Hopefully the AI will pick this unit (now with 5D) over the eques now!

@primordial stew

Thanks for the feedback :)
Removing bomarbd from triremis is an acceptable compromise. I will do that (and reduce their spawning rate for Carthage)

You have Carthaginians in Greece uh?

Also, I can agree with giving armies a much higher worker rate! And the Miles Socius can be set a able to fight slave unrest if needed.

Glad to hear the AI can be bright sometime (the bl;ocakde, or was it cheer luck?)

Don't forget you can drfat Miles Socius in your larger cities!

Once for all, Miles Auxiliarus do NOT upgrade to Stratiotes, and Eques legionarius don't to Cataphractus! I think the pedia is not contradicting this. The editor say they do, so as these two units are no longer available during the byzantine era.

I am ready considering to make the roman eques a bit better, to make them fare better compare to the velites (who don't need support). Suggestions? A higher attack (A8)?

How come you have already sycj a high treasure so early on?

@All

One important thing that need testing in 0.94 is the changes with Scythia, Gothia and Germania. The latter two are in locked alliance but I really hope there won't be too many wars between the two barbarian blocks. I didn't put them 3 in a locked alliance for obvious reasons: They would be too dangerous in the early game to Rome. Also, note the intelligence tech no longer allow you to sign mutual protection pacts (so as you don't push Scythia aginst Germania and so on.)

I'll be back sometime next week, meanwhile keep playing! :)

Sildo said:
I would just like to say that this mod is the best. I often play on emperor level and noteced a bug. At about 75-25BC the timeline goes off by one turn late. The only gameplay problem I can find is how loung it takes to invade Gaul and Iberia, but, I'm probably just being picky :p . One of my common stratageis when invading Gaul and Iberia is to leave my cities there compleatly defenseless. This seems wrone to me. Maby you should give the barbarians a unit with 1.1.4 that moves fast on hills and trees so you have to defend your cities. Anyway, keep up the good work :goodjob: .

I take note and will take a look as soon as I can, thanks.
I am a bit surprised about the Celts lack of offensive against your cities as they have a lot of horsemen. So they would need at least a highly mobile unit?

captain beaver said:
Finally, for the northern Rhine defense, this screenshot could help you make the cultural borders fit nicely. I added some cities and moved some conquerable German cities a tile or 2. All the Limes are along the river.

Cpt Beaver, I was looking at your SS in that post above, about the Rhine border, and suddenly realized: damn- he IS making a scenario for RFRE! 325AD! Please finish this (unless you are waiting for the 'final' 1.0 rules first?)! And upload it. I really wish to play something I didn't assemble (for, I don't know why, there is not much fun to play something created by oneself)

pinktilapia said:

Yeah, I was hoping to ally with the powerful greeks, but only the tiny ones took. That didn't seem to help in thinning the Carthos out, and may have made it worse :/ Anyway, the gods clearly did not favor me that game, so back to 275BC!

pinktilapia said:
Glad to hear the AI can be bright sometime (the bl;ocakde, or was it cheer luck?)

It was a suprise, that's for sure :p

pinktilapia said:
Once for all, Miles Auxiliarus do NOT upgrade to Stratiotes, and Eques legionarius don't to Cataphractus! I think the pedia is not contradicting this. The editor say they do, so as these two units are no longer available during the byzantine era.

Got it! Can you add that to the pedia text?

pinktilapia said:
I am ready considering to make the roman eques a bit better, to make them fare better compare to the velites (who don't need support). Suggestions? A higher attack (A8)?

How come you have already sycj a high treasure so early on?

A8 sounds good. The romans didn't use them much, so they shouldn't be too appealing.

I'm not sure where all the money came from :/ Roma is probobly the key due to the multipliers there, so keeping it big pay off! I built the missing roads, farms, and mines as soon as possible. Legios/velites will sap the size pretty quick. I try to keep it at 7 or more. That used to work well but in the most recent game I clearly didn't have enough troops, so maybe a change is needed.

Alas the SS betrayed me! :lol:
Yeah, it's been actually an on and off project since you asked people to make different scenarios for different time periods. I almost finished now, but the problem is that Rome is making so much money : +2500g each turn :eek: . (Edit : that's fixed now, it was because Rome entered a GA as soon as the game started, now you lose about 1300g each turn hehehe)Doesn't work very well with a decaying empire. I changed other things as well to represent better the Empire at that time.

Main changes that I can remember

1) The evacuation of Brittania : to simulate the abandon of Britannia by Rome, I put the only Britannia good luxury under Luguvallium where the wonder reducing corruption is also situated. If you lose that city and can't retake it, I suggest a quick retreat to Gallia of what troops you have left. BE careful because the preadator pictus enslave itself now.
2) The return of the pirates (yay!) : they have 3 unconquerable cities in the Mediteranean (?) sea from which HN amphibious pirates will wreck havoc on your lightly defended islands :devil: . They also got pirate ship who will have lots of fun chasing yours. This is to simulate the recrudecense (?) of pirate activities toward the end of the Empire.
3) Ensalvement : with the coming of Christianity a tech away, all slaves have already been freed and you won't be able to enslave more. Instead, most roman units enslave the foederati unit which can either join a city, representating the establisment of barbarians inside Rome's borders, or upgrade to a miles alarius germanicus.
4) Tile improvement : yeah, I know, there's probably too much, but I never made it that far and without any examples, it's more guesswork than anything else.
5) City improvement : same thing. Also, note that this has been made with version .92 and I only imported subsequent rule changes. Some cities may have acess to buildings they shouldn't.
6) Goth and Armenia : they are both able to make MA with you, so use them as cannon fodder against Sassanid or Scythia.
7) Borders : There are Limes starting from the sea along the Rhine up to the beginning of Gothia and further along, some more along the Danube river up to Tomis. This is to force Germania to go through these fortifications as they have no other way (I put mountans all across Gothia) while Scythia will go through the Goths and then on to Gallia and Italia as the Balkans are heavily fortified. The AI will find a way across undefended territory. Near the Sassanids, you will find a kind of Limes wall. Don't worry, the AI will roll over these positions (I tested it) and take back Mesopotamia. Near Britannia, the Hadrian wall is up and strong although lightly defended when you think of the Pictus praedator enslaving himself. Near Numidia, there isn't any real wall but there is enough troops to stop them, in the beginning of course.
8) List of new cities : Batavia, Colonnia Agrippina, Tingis, Vindonnisa,Corstapitum, Pirale lair, Pirate island and Pirate hideout :D
9) All passes to the Italian peninsula have Limes and a praesidium on them. Fortify them more if Gallia falls.
10) All passes to Spain have Limes and praesidium. Fortify them if Gallia falls.
11) In Dacia, there are remains of the Roman occupation some hundred years of so ago. Roads, mines, irrigation and the old borders forts are still there if you want to consider an expedition to these lands.
12) There are some non latin names. I don't know latin so if someone does, please post the corrections.
13) Start : The year is 325 AD. After having defeated his competitors to the throne, Constantine the Great has ruled on a empire reinforced by his autocratic rule. His division of the Empire into 2 parts will ensure immediate security and prosperity to the inhabitants of these lands. However, his death to a desease has again left Rome without suitable heir. In the troubled times that followed the succession, the Alemanni tribe has succesfully sneaked attacked the border city of Augusta Vindelicum, settling there. There are enough troops in the region to take back and secure once again the Rhine forts, but as the barbarians to the north and west are again preparing themselves for an all out attack on the Empire, new troubles are also arousing (?). Pirate acitivities are becoming an important problem to the costal cities, the Sassanid empire is once again considering to retake all land belonging to the Persian empire of old, the celtic tribes of Britannia are restless in front of a weakened Empire and the savage of Africas are still raiding the provinces of North Africa. It is up to you, our new emperor, to guide your still mighty army against all foes of the Empire, may they be barbarians, restless citizens or the Scourge of God. All hail Ceasar!
14) This is not playtested. The autor of this map disclaims all responsability if your harddrive fries in front of the unstopable barbarians hordes. By playing and installing this map, you have agreed to lead your people justly and fairly to a new golden age of glory and power. Every player violating these rules will be charged and prosecuted.
Beaver INC. All rights reserved 2005 (just kidding Pink ;) )
15) Well, i wanted a 15 point, but I really can't find any, so have fun. :goodjob:

Attachments

• 325 AD.zip
    80.2 KB · Views: 87
Hi :goodjob:
The snario that i was waiting for. Thank you ;)

pinktilapia said:

Maybe u can replace the Lybian desert to an open sea line tile betwen Leptis Magna and Berenice.
Also, once u take Carthago u have there so many troops and ships, that u cant resist to atack Egypt throu Alexandria and maybe Antioch too, in a few turns, so u dont suit the history, and that is the point for me.
I have some suggestions to do, but i only have play it once, need to play more to mature the ideas. :cool:
Ill be back

I haven't tried the scenarios, I've been busy, but the maps look awesome, GREAT JOB, Pink... and upstart scenario-designer Captain Beaver =o)

Thanks a lot blitzkrieg80 :) . The most time consuming when I started the 325AD version is to place city improvement. There's kind of 200 to 300 cities and each has to be checked to be sure the right improvements are there. Then after I placed the units, I just gave up because it took too much time. :p But with Pink wanting the scenario, I moved my lazy hand to civ3 edit and finalized everything. It just needs playtesting, so if someone wants to take up the challenge of fortifying 1500+ units and deciding the production of 200+ cities, please post feedback. And like Pink said, playing what you created is kind of ... well... boring or something like that, so I probably won't be using that map :lol: .

Downloaded the mod the other day and I have to say it's absolutely amazing, this is definitely something I will be coming back to again and again. Quick question though: does anyone actually conquer/start wars in the order the tech tree suggests? I still have to invade Africa before I finish off Carthage and I've already begun the Macedonian Wars tech... problem is, I think the Gauls are going to invade as their troops movements are becoming more numerous along my borders. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer before I can sow the soil of Carthage with salt. :D

Carthage has way too many land units in .941. Prior to the 2nd punic war the Carthos declared war on Galia, and proceeded to take the lower 4 cities. I took Tolosa, and Narbo. They game me Georgiva for peace.

In 157BC the 3rd punic war began. I took the heavily-occupied Vienna, and then the rest of Spain. They gave Carenta in the settlement.

Between wars CarthagoNova flipped back :mad:

By the 4th punic war (130BC) they had way too many troops in Africa. They sent 23 numidian horseman, 6 mercs + some eques against my western force, and then ~15 elephants + other misc units which destroyed my 18 unit eastern force in 1 turn. They also sunk every ship I had, so no hope for reinforments in the east. I did have 4 scipios, so maybe there is 1 weak city that it's possible to get a foothold in? Also if Numidia was capable of an alliance that would help tremendously, but I don't see it as an option.

I thought Carthage was set pretty well prior to .94. Now they have more free unit generators, and Rome has to suffer with higher maintinence costs, no velite roads, and slower mine building, it's too much!!!! The player must keep close to the timetable or else they all get too strong. Late Rome should be heavily dependent on alliances to contain the baddies, but early on they shouldn't need much help.

There could be a civ3 bug with wonder generated units. Last game I built Sciopos in Roma, and only got 2 of them. This time I put it in Capua and got 4. In both games SPQR produced ~13 legions. My research rate and order were the same. Maybe a city can't get 2 wonder units in the same turn?

Earlier i read about the ai bombarding and blockading in civ3 as well as in this game. In my recent game i experienced it outright and lost an entire army of 7 legions, 6 vetties and 5 ships. The ai in civ3 is very aggressive. heres the screenshot

Attachments

• blockade.JPG
    blockade.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 312
@Capt. Beaver: THANK YOU ! I try this over the weekend and give you feedback ASAP. I understand what you mean by having to place improvements and units for 300 cities :dubious: . Now we have 275BC, 125BC, 325AD. We still need a BIQ for around the early AD (Augustus?). Volunteers? I personally think more and more seriously to do on a Punic Wars BIQ, but still need a map detailed enough for it...

@Portus
So you managed to have a navy that can compete with Egypt uh ;) The desert between Carthage and Egypt should be impassable for all but the Camelites and some barbarians, so it plays like a kind of sea already. I am not sure how to remedy to the attractiveness to invade the far East once you have destroyed Carthage. Look forward to your further comments!

@Blitz: thanks :) although it seems the new map is real too hard.

@Primordial Stew: It seems the Carthaginians are still too strong in 0.941. I certainly don't want to see them invading the Gauls. I have already decided to reduce the number of boats of the Punic navy, to INCREASE the number of Celtic Mercenaries, so what should I reduce further? Elephants, Barca troops, numid horsemen? Or raise the cost of the mercs? You CAN ally the Numids: just make sure you have an embassy there first.

@Still-smokin: *Cough cough*, well, no, it is *cough* very hard to follow the timeline set by the tech early on. I plan to give more turn early on and less in the late game, but it is a lot of work, and I have very little time these days. Good luck with the Gauls!

@ApolytonCIvfan: that SS looks nice and I love to see the AI doing a fine coherent move. That is an added advantage to have ships bombarding :D Boats can't destroy land units though, so I am not sure how you lost so many troops to them? A coordinated attack (wow!)?

pinktilapia said:
@Portus
So you managed to have a navy that can compete with Egypt uh ;) The desert between Carthage and Egypt should be impassable for all but the Camelites and some barbarians, so it plays like a kind of sea already. I am not sure how to remedy to the attractiveness to invade the far East once you have destroyed Carthage. Look forward to your further comments!

That was in .93vs. I see the .941 a big improvement in difficulty. Anyway, about far east attractveness, im starting a new game with a piratae city(Arae) in that place, just above the oasis resource, with no roads and uncheked the wheeled flag for piratae. Maybe it result. :rolleyes:

pinktilapia said:
@Capt. Beaver: THANK YOU ! I try this over the weekend and give you feedback ASAP. I understand what you mean by having to place improvements and units for 300 cities :dubious: . Now we have 275BC, 125BC, 325AD. We still need a BIQ for around the early AD (Augustus?). Volunteers? I personally think more and more seriously to do on a Punic Wars BIQ, but still need a map detailed enough for it...

@Portus

@Blitz: thanks :) although it seems the new map is real too hard.

@Primordial Stew: It seems the Carthaginians are still too strong in 0.941. I certainly don't want to see them invading the Gauls. I have already decided to reduce the number of boats of the Punic navy, to INCREASE the number of Celtic Mercenaries, so what should I reduce further? Elephants, Barca troops, numid horsemen? Or raise the cost of the mercs? You CAN ally the Numids: just make sure you have an embassy there first.

@Still-smokin: *Cough cough*, well, no, it is *cough* very hard to follow the timeline set by the tech early on. I plan to give more turn early on and less in the late game, but it is a lot of work, and I have very little time these days. Good luck with the Gauls!

@ApolytonCIvfan: that SS looks nice and I love to see the AI doing a fine coherent move. That is an added advantage to have ships bombarding :D Boats can't destroy land units though, so I am not sure how you lost so many troops to them? A coordinated attack (wow!)?

They bombarded me, several turns against the elphants and my army was destroyed. I also couldn't send reinforcements as they controled the seas. The carthagians sent stacks of units against that city, i've replayed these turns several times now to find out the best attack, so far its been tough. Last time i fought them, i took both cities and then gaul attacked me. i made peace with carthage and 2-3 turns later, the closest city to carthage fliped back to them. Later will try again.

take care
civfan....

Top Bottom