Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

I am only playing 1.5. Does 1.6 give Russian Trenchers the hit point bonus? If not, well...

===
Changes in RARR-biq 1.6:

1. Upgrade path for Russian HMG fixed.
2. Russian Trencher: Hitpoints and Rate of Fire fixed
3. Italian Hussar: Movement Rate fixed
4. Upgrade path for Strategic Bombers fixed.
===

Playing celts, everything seems OK but suddenly turns out, they cannot build HMG.
All requirements are met: Automatic weapons technology and rubber.

Found an error: in the INI file of the \Art\Units\Bell P-39 Quetzatl, the FLC entries all have a _

ex:aircobra_default.flc

but the FLC files have no _; edited the INI, all is well.

Much to my shame I never looked at the extra's of my 'Civilization 3 Complete' disc, so recently I discovered the mod content. There were 2 very interesting mods, one of them was DyP. Unfortunately it was not with the graphics. I could not find the website they referred to (Bernskov) so I could not update it and after I was thrown out te game several times because of missing information for some units and a small wonder I looked further and found this RARR mod. May I compliment all who contributed to this mod?

I have a few questions though, some may be stupid.

- I always played Civilization on a huge map, in this mod (RARR 1.6) 140 x 140 seems the maximum, will there be an even greater map in a future edition?

- Is multiplayer possible with this mod?

- Who is the composer of the lute music during the game? I never heard that before so I presume that piece of music must be added.

- Would you like some comments from me what I will found during playing this mod? I certainly will have to adopt my gameplay as Armees only have 2 units (without the Pentagon)

Found an error: in the INI file of the \Art\Units\Bell P-39 Quetzatl, the FLC entries all have a _

ex:aircobra_default.flc

but the FLC files have no _; edited the INI, all is well.

jlvfr, thank you very much for reporting this error. :) It will be fixed with the next update of the mainfile - what will last some time, as at present I have to use my free modding time for preparing CCM version 2.00 for the betatest-upload.

The error can be fixed manually easily by deleting the "_" in the INI of that unit with Wordpad.

Much to my shame I never looked at the extra's of my 'Civilization 3 Complete' disc, so recently I discovered the mod content. There were 2 very interesting mods, one of them was DyP. Unfortunately it was not with the graphics. I could not find the website they referred to (Bernskov) so I could not update it and after I was thrown out te game several times because of missing information for some units and a small wonder I looked further and found this RARR mod. May I compliment all who contributed to this mod?

I have a few questions though, some may be stupid.

- I always played Civilization on a huge map, in this mod (RARR 1.6) 140 x 140 seems the maximum, will there be an even greater map in a future edition?

- Is multiplayer possible with this mod?

- Who is the composer of the lute music during the game? I never heard that before so I presume that piece of music must be added.

- Would you like some comments from me what I will found during playing this mod? I certainly will have to adopt my gameplay as Armees only have 2 units (without the Pentagon)

XTC, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

RARR is a (mostly) graphical update of the mod RAR. RAR was the successor of DyP.
The famous creators of RAR are credited in the first post of this thread.

To your questions:

1. The biggest world size in RARR is 160 x 160. The RARR biq doesn´t hold a map size of 140 x 140. The map sizes in RARR are the same as they were set by the original creators of RAR - and as far as I remember, these are the same settings as they are in the epic game of C3C.

On the other hand I have a lot of experience in creating an epic mod for much bigger map sizes. Here massive changes in tons of settings are needed, from the speed of units, the range of aircraft, the factors of progress in research to cuts in the tradenet and so on. If you want to play an epic game on a 260 x 240 worldmap (and your pc has the power for it), you could try the epic mod CCM.

2. I have not tested the multiplayer option for RARR, but why shouldn´t it be possible?

3. RARR doesn´t hold added music. The only changed sound file is for creating a wonder. May be you have downloaded another mod? :)

4. Of course we are all interested in your experiences with RARR. Please post them. :)

3. RARR doesn´t hold added music. The only changed sound file is for creating a wonder. May be you have downloaded another mod? :)

It's because of this:

The mod uses the music.txt from the prepackaged Conquests. Specifically the Napoleonic Europe one due to the fact that it searches in there first IIRC.

It's because of this:

The mod uses the music.txt from the prepackaged Conquests. Specifically the Napoleonic Europe one due to the fact that it searches in there first IIRC.

Virote, thank you very much for the explanation. :) Now Civ 3 is more than 10 years old and I still learn something new about it. I never noticed, that these links also influence the music that is played.

..and XTC, thank you very much for your question, that let me learn something new. :)

It's very easy

You need only to open RARR1.6.biq file in Conquests Editor and change map size to any proportion you want. Click "Edit Rules", go to "World Sizes" section and correct the numbers as you wish.

160x160x16 (Width-Height-Number of Civs) is the biggest map by default. I always play optimal 180x180x18 map. Once tried bigger maps like 200x200x24, but every AI turn time takes very long then, up to 5 minutes.

@Izengrimm my next RARR 1.6 game will be on a larger map, thanks for showing me how to do it

@Virote_Considon your explanation makes perfectly sense, thanks. So much new things in this mod so I thought the music was as well

@Civinator thanks for your reply and the welcome. I will surely try CCM but for now there is much to explore in RARR

As I am not a good civ player and the mod is totally new for me I started on the lowest level, Chieftain, as Romans. That was not a bad decision because my starting position was the worst ever: at the end of a long stretched continent and that end was dominated with tundra! No strategic recources and only furs as luxury. With only one game I can't make conclusions but are strategic resources more rare than in Vanilla Civ?

To exploit those furs I made the small wonder Fur Traders but I couldn't make gold of it. Reading through the 21 pages of this thread I wasn't the only one. I had to change some settings before the game. So I thought maybe it could be handy to make a note of it in the Civilopedia at the Supply Shipments as that was the place where I first looked for what was the matter. And speaking of the Civilopedia big compliments for it. Really very informative!

Another thing I have noticed: I read for the Cavalry unit no horses are needed because they are in plentiful supply. That makes sense. But much earlier in time for the Romans the Inquisitor unit is available, a horse unit. But the strategic resource horse isn't needed for it (good for my game, as I don't have that strategic resource ;)) but it makes less sense. Also that unit doesn't have a sound.

Another thing I have noticed: I read for the Cavalry unit no horses are needed because they are in plentiful supply. That makes sense. But much earlier in time for the Romans the Inquisitor unit is available, a horse unit. But the strategic resource horse isn't needed for it (good for my game, as I don't have that strategic resource ;)) but it makes less sense. Also that unit doesn't have a sound.
Yes, and Royal Tournament produces knights without horses supply and the Training Camp generates pretorian swordsmen with no iron available:)

Soundless inquisitors are old bug. For all civs.

I had to change some settings before the game. So I thought maybe it could be handy to make a note of it in the Civilopedia at the Supply Shipments as that was the place where I first looked for what was the matter.

XTC, I thought, in the description of the supplyshipments all information that is needed is included there. What part of information did you miss?

And speaking of the Civilopedia big compliments for it. Really very informative!

The civilopedia was done by the old creators of DyP and RAR, so the credit belong for them. :) I only did some additions to the new features that are now activated (like the supplyshipments above)

These are decisions of the old creators of DyP and RAR. Not all landunits that move two or more tiles, are units on horses or later in vehicles. Even in Civ 3 vanilla there were landunits without horses, that could move two or more tiles a turn (without a road on those tiles).

Yes, and Royal Tournament produces knights without horses supply and the Training Camp generates pretorian swordsmen with no iron available:)

Soundless inquisitors are old bug. For all civs.

May be the knights come from all countries on their own horses to the Royal Tournament and the pretorians still had their swords, when becoming pretorians. :D

I will have a look into the soundfiles of the inquisitor and fix it with the next upload of the mainfile.

XTC, I thought, in the description of the supplyshipments all information that is needed is included there. What part of information did you miss?

That the victory point option (before starting a new game) must always been enabled for working supply shipments.

As I am still in my first game I have many supply shipments doing nothing, so I park them in cities. They don't show however as supply shipments but as tanks or conquistadors (and one time as an other unit) in the garrison part of the 'zoom to city' option.

Also I noticed that some terrains which are the same give different results. I have a city called Palmyra which has several coast terrains which give 2 food and 2 gold, but one of those coast terrain gives 2 food and 3 gold. The same with mountains at Viroconium, both were roaded and have a river, but one mountain gives 1 more gold than the others. I can't find an explanation for it.

That the victory point option (before starting a new game) must always been enabled for working supply shipments.

XTC, temporary attached is a screenshot of the RARR civilopedia about "Supply Shipments", hinting in bold letters, that the options "capture shipments" and "Victory Point Scoring" must be enabled, to allow the supply shipments to work properly.
I marked that passage in this post with a red box. If you don´t have that information in your RARR civilopedia, it seems that something went wrong in your download or installation of RARR.

As I am still in my first game I have many supply shipments doing nothing, so I park them in cities. They don't show however as supply shipments but as tanks or conquistadors (and one time as an other unit) in the garrison part of the 'zoom to city' option.

Also I noticed that some terrains which are the same give different results. I have a city called Palmyra which has several coast terrains which give 2 food and 2 gold, but one of those coast terrain gives 2 food and 3 gold. The same with mountains at Viroconium, both were roaded and have a river, but one mountain gives 1 more gold than the others. I can't find an explanation for it.

The supply shipments in RARR have eraspecific graphics what makes them more difficult to integrate in a mod than a normal unit. As far as I remember, the eraspecific units can hold up to four different unit flics and pediaicons graphics, but can only be shown by one graphic on the unit_32 file (that is used for graphics in the cityscreen).

Normally the unit_32 file is not needed for the supply shipments, as these units are autoproduced and therefore cannot been chosen in the build-queue, and they are not been garrisoned but changed to gold when entering the capital, so I didn´t have a closer look into the unit_32 file for supply shipments.

XTC, can you please post a save-file with lots of garrisoned supply shipments, so I can see what icons were used in the cityscreen.
A save-file would also be helpful for looking at the terrain around your cities of Palmyra and Viroconium.

Attachments

• RARR-Supply.jpg
    RARR-Supply.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,310
XTC, temporary attached is a screenshot of the RARR civilopedia about "Supply Shipments", hinting in bold letters, that the options "capture shipments" and "Victory Point Scoring" must be enabled, to allow the supply shipments to work properly.
I marked that passage in this post with a red box. If you don´t have that information in your RARR civilopedia, it seems that something went wrong in your download or installation of RARR.

The supply shipments in RARR have eraspecific graphics what makes them more difficult to integrate in a mod than a normal unit. As far as I remember, the eraspecific units can hold up to four different unit flics and pediaicons graphics, but can only be shown by one graphic on the unit_32 file (that is used for graphics in the cityscreen).

Normally the unit_32 file is not needed for the supply shipments, as these units are autoproduced and therefore cannot been chosen in the build-queue, and they are not been garrisoned but changed to gold when entering the capital, so I didn´t have a closer look into the unit_32 file for supply shipments.

XTC, can you please post a save-file with lots of garrisoned supply shipments, so I can see what icons were used in the cityscreen.
A save-file would also be helpful for looking at the terrain around your cities of Palmyra and Viroconium.

a) Ah, I looked at the UNIT information in the Civilopedia for supply shipments, now I see that the information in the GAME CONCEPTS

b) How do I post a save game? Can I email it to you? To which emailaddress?

Guess who started a new game and forgot he'd switched off the "capture" option because he was testing another scenario... :(

I'm loosing so much money...

Top Bottom