1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Civinator, Jun 21, 2015.

1. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

Considering the problems with the AI, option #2 would be best.

2. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

Spruce up the late-game governments to make them more attractive to the AI.

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

In CCM2 I used a combination of #1 and #2, but the problem still remains. With the Quintillus editor it is possible, that normal workers don´t need the 'build railroad flag' any longer for having the terraform strategy. So units that can build railroads now could be different from other worker units :think:

Even in this case the question remains: What to do with all the existing workers that cause these 30 klicks actions ? Many players still would additionally use those existing workers for their allowed worker jobs and continue those 30 klick actions. A convincing upgrade for those worker units is needed - but not to superworkers.

The setting of convincing governments in my eyes is one of the most difficult tasks in modding Civ 3 - and additionally the much too long periods of Anarchy in normal Civ 3 are annoying. This could be resolved by setting all civs to have the religious trait (as it is in CCM2) - but this would be a lot of changes. That´s why in the update of the RARR 1.7 biqs, there won´t be any additional settings of governments.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. keli

keli Prince

the sound effect when fortifying the nuclear carrier is super loud. Is it possible to tone it down a bit?

5. Civinator

Keli, the fortify animation (starting jetplanes) and the sound of starting jetplanes is mainly used for the long-range attack of modern carriers. The sound of starting jetplanes in my eyes (or better ears) is adequate for this action.

Attached Files:

6. Civinator

My current RARR test game now is in its late stage. There is one thing, that will be changed with engineers for sure: I will remove the pillage flag from those units. It frequently occured when doing my felt '30 klicks' to build a railroad on a tile, that with one of those klicks the engineer razed the railroad again, that the worker stack tried to build. :mad:

Changes I will do in the next days in the RARR biqs:

Heavy tank plant fixed to be a small wonder
    National Coal Mine must be set to small wonder
    Engineers: pillage flag removed
    Pirate Frigate and Commercial Raider need HN flag
    Civs for Asian Hardy Clan
    Clan has a move of 2
    The Great Refinery is too cheap
    Dhow, Steamer and Z Class need rotate flag
    Dhow (Cannons): no lethal land bombardment
    Carriers: WW2 +1 aircraft, Cold War + 1 aircraft, Nuclear carrier and Supercarrier + 2 Aircraft
    New settings for ACs
    Bedouin Calvary upgrade to armored car
    Heavy frigates to 2 HP
    Better names for German military leaders
    Civ colour for Arab changed

Edit: Harbor now gives 1 culture
    Range 1 bombardment for Nuclear submarine
    Range 1 bombardment for Akula and Typhoon Class
    Range 1 bombardment for SSBN
    Range 1 bombardment for Boomer Submarine
    Delaware class does not upgrade to the Iowa
    Gorshkov Class no AA.wav
    M-4 Bison : graphics and sound
    Bilgis Advisor: Palette

Errors in the text files:

PediaIcons:

Missing wondersplash entry for Heavy Tank Plant
    Mycenaean Chariot
    Eraspecific icons for supplyshipments

Civilopedia:

vertical flight is supposed to make the tank plant obsolete
    Entry Nuclear Submarine missing

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Shmelkin and keli like this.
  7. Urxaszel

Urxaszel Chieftain

Hello everyone! I apologize for my question, but please tell me how the harbor works. I built a harbor in my first city (civilization - Carthage, seafaring), but the coastal cell continues to produce 2 food and 2 commerce, not 3 food and 2 commerce, as you would expect from the description of the harbor. Maybe an increase in the food produced will occur after a change in the type of government or something? Thanks for the information!

8. Civinator

Urxaszel, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

Your question about the harbor is a very good one, as it pointed to a bad setting of that building and therefore is something like a reported error of the mod. :)

The harbor should give an additional food in water tiles, but this addition is absorbed by the tile penalty of the only government that every civ is starting with. Therefore your observation is correct and the question arises, why to pay maintenance costs of 1 gold for a building, that is useless before having researched a better government, that has no tile penalty.

In DyP, RAR and earlier versions of RARR, the harbor opened the tradenet over coastal terrain. Nevertheless in my eyes this was next to useless, as in the early stages of the game the civs don´t have so much resources (that additionally must be connected to a harbor city). In DyP, RAR and RARR the ability to build veteran ships and to heal naval units in one turn is separated from the ability to form a tradenet. On the other side, the 'harbor symbol' is connected to forming a tradenet, not to build veteran ships. This means, that a coastal city showing the harbor symbol, has not automatically the ability to repair ships in one turn and to build veteran ships, but this is the information that in my eyes is really needed for those coastal towns in the later game. Therefore in RARR 1.7 I 'reunited' the ability of forming a tradenet and to repair ships in one turn to one building again: The port, that is coming later in the techtree. This setting has the advantage, that the game is speeded up a little bit, as the pc has to calculate less trade routes over water.

On the other side at present the only early use for harbors is falling away, as the plus 1 food bonus needs another government. The early building of harbors must have a benefit in the early stages of the game, too. I think, I should give the harbor 1 culture, so in the early stages of the game there is a benefit even in the time, when the 1 food boost is absorbed by the tile penalty.

9. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

Looks great. Love them potatoes!

I really like the 915 turns, it sort of slows technological development and gives times for the early units to matter.

One thing. Could you make larger maps? 180 x 180 is the largest "off the shelf", isn't there a way for larger maps?

10. Civinator

There can be a small confusion between the potatoe and pollution graphics - but I like the potatoes,too (that´s why they are now in RARR).

The settings were taken 1:1 from the RAR extended biq with the same scale in tech-costs for the new added techs .

When having a look into the biqs of my CCM2 and CCM1 mods, you can see, that I have some experience in doing much bigger working random maps for C3C. Bigger random maps cause higher (and without deep cuts in the trade net on weaker pcs in the late game much higher) interturn times. Random map sizes over 250 x 250 can bear some additional problems for some settings in starting a game. I didn´t want to do too much changes in RARR 1.7 compared to RAR, that´s why I only replaced the smallest RAR map size with a new 180x180 map size in RARR 1.7 (what is a medium map size in CCM2).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  11. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

With regards to map size, could you go to 200X200?

Two issues so far.

Mycenaean Chariot file not found. It should be "Mycenean Chariot" not "MyceneanChariot" for the .ini.

Shipyard seems to require an unavailable technology.

12. Civinator

ynot56, thank you very much for reporting that error. :)

There is one space too much in the pediaicons entry of that unit. Attached to this post is a pediaicons file that fixes that problem. Simply replace the old pediaicons file in the RARR textfolder with the new one. As neither a change in the unit files nor the biq is needed, started games can be continued when that file is replaced.

This is no error. The shipyard at present is one of five (?) currently superfluos buildings in RARR, which slots can be used for other purposes. The setting to the 'Unavailable' tech is intended. This building is not longer used in RARR, as the function of the shipyards was added to the ports, so the harbor symbol now also signals the coastal towns, where ships can be repaired in one turn. The re-combining of the tradenet and the veteran ship function in one later building (ports instead of harbors) also helps a little bit to speed up late games on bigger maps.

The other buildings are remaining civspecific wise men, as these buildings were set from civspecific to be traitspecific. Civspecific wise men lost their use since RAR.

Of course I could go to this and other map sizes, but at present I don´t do this with RARR as I don´t want to do too much changes here from the traditional DyP and RAR mods. If you have a look in the CCM2 biq, you have preset random maps for up to map sizes of 250 x 250 with 31 civs. You can use the values I set for those maps by doing your own RARR biq. You only must do a new calculation of the basic tech cost for that map, as in RARR (and DyP and RAR) the base tech cost for a map is lower than in CCM2.

Spoiler :

At present I don´t want to replace more than one map size of the traditional DyP/RAR mods. And to do different biqs for RARR-normal, RARR-extended, RARR-normal-big maps and RARR-extended-big maps could be too confusing for some civers. I had a post, where an experienced and well respected civer said, that to use a patch after the installation of RARR would be a 'nightmare' of an installation.

Attached Files:

13. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

Thanks for the shipyard/port info. I must have missed that. Now, I don't have to wait for building my ships!

The Trupadour sound is fixed! But, the American Medieval Army has turned very UGLY (maybe it is my resolution/graphics card, but it is not ... solid.)

14. Civinator

ynot56, it is not your resolution/graphics card. The armies in the unit folder of the expanded C3C mainfile made it accidently into that folder. All 4 armies are prototypes, that I used for some experiments with land transports in CCM2. All four army units have massive palette issues, as it was not necessairy to mod them to special army palettes for those experiments. For CCM2 these units were no problem, as CCM2 holds no units named army - but in RARR, that has armies, these units are disturbing.

To fix this, in the C3C expanded units mainfolder simply rename the folders containing the units Army Ancient Times, Army Industrial Ages, Army Middle Ages and Army Modern Times to Army Ancient Times1, Army Industrial Ages1, Army Middle Ages1 and Army Modern Times1 (or something like that) -or delete them (if you are sure that you have found these files), and the game will grip back to the original Civ 3 army units in Civ 3 Vanilla. This is the general mechanism how the expanded Civ 3 files are working.
    Spoiler :

But be aware not to delete the Army units in the Civ 3 Vanilla folder!

In the next upload of the expanded CCM2 main files, these prototype armies will not be included any longer.

Attached Files:

15. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

I really like that the Caviler upgrades to the Dragoon. Their upgrade path was ... not optimal.

Some of the new small wonders seem very interesting.

16. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

I was able to build two National Coal Mine small wonders. Both cities had the same coal resource.

17. Civinator

18. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

A couple of notes:

I must have missed the discussion, but it seems as if harbors do not provide access to the trade net, i.e. they do not provide resources. Is this the intended result?

Cruiser project seems way too cheap.

19. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I don't know about RARR, but it is in CCM.

20. Civinator

A last time thank you all very much for your interest in RARR and good luck to all of you. I´m leaving CFC very soon for reasons I cannot tell here without violating the forum rules. It still must be cleared at CFC what will happen with the CCM2.50 mod on the CFC server and there has to be written a pm to a moderator.

This means, that I cannot do the fixes of the RARR 1,7 biqs any longer for those civers, who did download CCM2.50 and RARR 1.7. The fixes are easy and are listed in this post: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-46#post-15735789

I agree, that these fixed RARR 1.7 biqs can be done by another civer and be uploaded in this thread.