Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

Thank you all very much for your superfriendly words here and in other Civ 3 threads, emails and pms on other sites. :) I am really overwhelmed - but I have to dim down the halo I have received: Most of the posts in the RARR and CCM threads were error reports sent by you to improve these mods, the units and graphics were done by masterly creators in the Civ 3 community and I received a lot of other very precious help especially from Vuldacon in graphics, rhodie, who did most parts of the CCM civilopedia, the civers who helped to create CCM2 and the reports of the Civ 3 succession game players. Especially for the RARR mod, please never forget the former creators of the DyP and RAR mods, listed at the first page of this thread. RARR in most parts is still their work. So in short: Your superfriendly words are falling back to the complete Civ 3 community and therefore to each one of you.

Another thank you very much goes to CFC for giving us civers a platform for our hobbies, many good days and years I had here in the past and for still hosting CCM2.50, what is the base for RARR, too.

I try to say here something cautiously about the current situation in the hope not to violate the forum rules, based on a post by Wolf66 in the units forum, that this must be a serious conflict. Yes, this is true, at least for me. In the defenitely next to the last step in leaving CFC, that conflict was solved, allowing me to stay at CFC. On the other side the 'circumstances', that made the conflict a serious one, are still existing – today I started an attempt to clear this. I have to confess, that I could have started this attempt some days earlier, but I liked to read all these nice posts about me. :blush: Nobody is perfect!

ynot56, keli, tjs282, Takeo, XTC and all others: You did a great job in helping other people to handle RARR and CCM2.50. I strongly encourage you all, to continue your successful efforts. It´s nice to see, that new civers like Mooish now can play RARR due to your help. :thumbsup:

And of course a special thank you very much to Belofon for doing the fixes for two of the RARR1.7 biqs. :clap: I will have a look on them and than add them to the RARR download page.

And the most important: Stay in good health in these bad times and try to help other people, who are not so lucky! :)

Last edited:
just downloaded it two days ago and file it want was there but i just delete what it wanted in the ini file yes its a custom map i made to test this out with

darklordshadow1313, as keli said, the problem results from a mistake in your modding. The templar, as set in RARR 1.7, is working very well:

If you want to mod an unit in CCM2.50 /RARR 1.7 it is the best, to use the same methode as Firaxis is using it themselves for partly changes for a unit. The screenshot below shows partly changes of the sound files in the original Caravel unit folder:

Change the entries in the INI file to the new files for that unit, in this example new sound files. The best is to put the new files directly in the folder of the unit and don´t use relative paths for the new files as this can easily lead to a result, as you did post it in your screenshot above.

Attachments

• Templar.jpg
    Templar.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 549
  • Templar1.jpg
    Templar1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 540
Well, it sounds like a strange situation, I hope it resolves itself appropriately.

If we are reporting things, the Delaware class does not upgrade to the Iowa.

I'm on my second game and it is very well done.

the Delaware class does not upgrade to the Iowa.

ynot56, thank you very much for reporting this error. :) At this unit the upgrade box wasn´t tickled. I will add this to Belofon´s fixes, when looking at those biqs.

I really like the inclusion of the M-8 Greyhound, but I think it is too slow. The contemporary motorized infantry has a movement of 4. The M-8 was for scouting, it should be at least as fast. The earlier Ford is probably still good with a 3 movement, but I do not believe its offense should be less than that of the Calvary.

I try to say here something cautiously about the current situation in the hope not to violate the forum rules, based on a post by Wolf66 in the units forum, that this must be a serious conflict. Yes, this is true, at least for me. In the defenitely next to the last step in leaving CFC, that conflict was solved, allowing me to stay at CFC. On the other side the 'circumstances', that made the conflict a serious one, are still existing – today I started an attempt to clear this. I have to confess, that I could have started this attempt some days earlier, but I liked to read all these nice posts about me.

:clap: :dance: :beer:

I really like the inclusion of the M-8 Greyhound, but I think it is too slow. The contemporary motorized infantry has a movement of 4. The M-8 was for scouting, it should be at least as fast. The earlier Ford is probably still good with a 3 movement, but I do not believe its offense should be less than that of the Calvary.

I agree in giving the the ACs-WW2 a MV of 4. This means, the civilopedia must be rewritten.

The ACs-WW1 has the same offense as the late cavalry (8A) and due to its armor a defense value that is nearly doubled (5:3). I didn´t want to rise the attack value of the new introduced ACs, as the next value of 9 would be to near to the defense value of early tanks (10).

Attachments

• AC-WW1.jpg
    AC-WW1.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 518
  • Cavalry.jpg
    Cavalry.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 495
I changed the settings of the WW2 ACs to 4 MV and additionally gave them radar (=recon). The civilopedia entries now are more adapted to the CCM2 entry format. For the M-8 Greyhound ( and the other WW2 ACs) the civilopedia entries now are looking liuke that:

Edit: When looking at the 4HP of early WWI tanks compared to the 2HPs of ACs WW1 and WW2, I think the attack value of ACs WW1 can be set to 9 and for ACs WW2 to 10.

Attachments

• Greyhound1.jpg
    Greyhound1.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Greyhound2.jpg
    Greyhound2.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
What is DocTS Difficulty?

Mooish, a belated welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

I have just seen that your question was not answered yet. DocTS Difficulty is the highest difficulty level you can play RARR. It is even more difficult than Sid, the normal highest difficulty level in Civ 3. This difficulty level is named after one of the most important former RAR modders: Doc Tsiolkovski.

Attachments

• DocTS.jpg
    DocTS.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 470
First, I really like 1.7.

I appreciate your modifications to the armored cars. I was about to suggest that they do not receive a desert movement penalty, but you already did it for the WWII AC.

I think that Bedouin Calvary should also upgrade to armored car.

There seems to be a problem between sailing frigates and armored cruisers. In history, the CA would win every time baring some fluke of luck. In RARR, ... It is not likely to win in a straight up battle. Maybe that is something you cannot fix, it just seemed odd.

I think that Bedouin Calvary should also upgrade to armored car.

I agree to this upgrade.

seems to be a problem between sailing frigates and armored cruisers. In history, the CA would win every time baring some fluke of luck. In RARR, ... It is not likely to win in a straight up battle. Maybe that is something you cannot fix, it just seemed odd.

When looking at the other naval units: The only change in the settings that seems possible, is to reduce the heavy frigates to 2 HPs - and this makes sense in relation to the other naval units of its time. :think:

I modified the biq to make the heavy tank plant a small wonder. When I built it, I got the error for no wonder splash. I imagine the fix is as simple as copying a splash from somewhere else, but ... well, not sure how to do this.

I modified the biq to make the heavy tank plant a small wonder. When I built it, I got the error for no wonder splash. I imagine the fix is as simple as copying a splash from somewhere else, but ... well, not sure how to do this.

ynot56, your error report came 'just in time'. At present I´m doing the final work for the fixes of the RARR 1.7 biqs. The list about the fixes became longer and longer cause of the reported errors, the errors I found myself in my last testgame and suggestions for improved settings (p.e. the ACs). I still have to write the missing entries in the civilopedia, add the missing splash entry to the pediaicons file and transfer the entries of the new RARR 1.7 biq to the RARR 1.7 extended and the worldmap biqs.

If all runs well, tomorrow the new biqs, together with a new RARR upload (holding the fixes for the text files and the additions and corrections for some unit files) are available for the download. :)

Edit: Entry for Heavy Tank Plant Splash added and is working.

Attachments

• Heavy Tank Plant.jpg
    Heavy Tank Plant.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
I hate to sound like a noob, but could you please inform me if there is a workaround for the missing splash for my current game? Or do I have to go back to the autosave before the plant is completed and just not build the plant?

I hate to sound like a noob, but could you please inform me if there is a workaround for the missing splash for my current game? Or do I have to go back to the autosave before the plant is completed and just not build the plant?

You only have to add the following lines to your pediaicons text file and can continue your game:

The new biqs are ready. I only have to open a lot of aircraft descriptions in the civilopedia text, so I hope I can do the download of the new files later today. Even with the new files you should be able to continue your game and can avoid a crash with the Gorshkov Class carrier.

Attachments

• Pediaicons.jpg
    Pediaicons.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
The RARR 1.7 biqs and the RARR files themselves are now updated to fix all the errors that were reported while playing the first version of those files. You can find the new biqs and the new RARR folder at the first page of this thread. The folder of the RARR scenario itself is so small, that no additional patch is needed. Simply let the new RARR.zip overwrite the old RARR files that came with the RARR 1.7 installation and add the new RARR 1.7 biqs to your C3C scenarios folder.

The following errors are now fixed and suggestions to improve gameplay are now added:

Heavy tank plant fixed to be a small wonder
National Coal Mine must be set to small wonder
Engineers: pillage flag removed
Pirate Frigate and Commercial Raider need HN flag
Civs for Asian Hardy Clan
Clan has a move of 2
The Great Refinery is too cheap
Dhow, Steamer and Z Class need rotate flag
Dhow (Cannons): no lethal land bombardment
Carriers: WW2 +1 aircraft, Cold War + 1 aircraft, Nuclear carrier and Supercarrier + 2 Aircraft
New settings for ACs
Bedouin Calvary upgrade to armored car
Heavy frigates to 2 HP
Better names for German military leaders
Civ colour for Arab changed
Harbor now gives 1 culture
Range 1 bombardment for Nuclear submarine
Range 1 bombardment for Akula and Typhoon Class
Range 1 bombardment for SSBN
Range 1 bombardment for Boomer Submarine
Delaware class does not upgrade to the Iowa
Immortals: 35 Cost
Upgrade chain swordsmen => Footknights
MV bonus for Punic and Asian War elephants in forest, jungle
British Redcoat: Support costs
French Musket Infantry: 1HP bonus
Horse Artillery: Foot unit flag set
Gorshkov Class no AA.wav
M-4 Bison : graphics and sound
Handley Page Victor graphics
Vickers Valiant graphics
Army Graphics
Bilgis Advisor: Palette

Errors in the text files:

PediaIcons:

Missing wondersplash entry for Heavy Tank Plant
Mycenaean Chariot
Eraspecific icons for supplyshipments

Civilopedia:

vertical flight is supposed to make the tank plant obsolete
Entries Nuclear Submarines are missing
Many civilopedia unit descriptions updated

A big thank you very much to all civers, who gave reports about errors or did make suggestions to improve the gameplay. :)

Last edited:
FWIW, I tried 3 times the fix you suggested for the heavy tank plant. It didn't work. I am not sure why, but I have a hunch that it might have something to do with the underscores " _ ".

FWIW, I tried 3 times the fix you suggested for the heavy tank plant. It didn't work. I am not sure why, but I have a hunch that it might have something to do with the underscores " _ ".

Use the files of the new RARR download. In these files there is the corrected pediaicons file.

Top Bottom