Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

I just got a message that the Ottomans are building The Great Lighthouse, I have already discovered the advance Sailing, and my coastal city has a harbor, but I can't build The Great Lighthouse. What am I missing?

Ouch, that means that the Ottoman city Edrine must have already has a size of 16. Then I think I have to forget that GW. Thank for the explanation, Civinator.

First, I was wrong about cruiser project as I forgot that it goes obsolete.

I think that engineers productivity or work rate really needs to be increased.

Civinator, I hope you don't mind me writing down some things which might be an error. As one of my teachers in the past said the difference between a layman and an expert is often reading the manual. And that is what I do, well the manual is the Civilopedia, of course and I am a long way from being an expert.

Requirements for the Monastery were having a Temple and having Incense in the Strategic Resource Box. I had a Temple but I didn't have incense. Still I could make that Monastary.

Attachments

• Monastery.jpg
    Monastery.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 91
Civinator, I hope you don't mind me writing down some things which might be an error. As one of my teachers in the past said the difference between a layman and an expert is often reading the manual. And that is what I do, well the manual is the Civilopedia, of course and I am a long way from being an expert.

Requirements for the Monastery were having a Temple and having Incense in the Strategic Resource Box. I had a Temple but I didn't have incense. Still I could make that Monastary.

XTC, I don´t know, if the civilopedia is the best way to become an expert, as it is full of errors - and this is one of them. :D

In the current RARR biq the monastery is not set to need incense for its construction. I have to do a deeper look if the error is the missing setting to need incense, or if the error is the entry in the civilopedia - but one of them must be an error. XTC, thank you very much for reporting that error.

I would like to suggest that the attack submarine have a somewhat higher attack strength than the nuclear submarine that it replaces. I understand that the bombardment strength is higher, but, well, part of me feels cheated when I upgrade and get the same attack :)

XTC, this is a very interesting screenshot. It seems the Celts are very clever, as with such an alliance, they could never loose that war. :)
I am interested in a save file of this situation to have a closer look into it.

And may be it´s a good idea to post that screenshot at this thread, too: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/interesting-screenshots.192414/
May be there we can get a good explaination about this situation.

I am interested in a save file of this situation to have a closer look into it.
That looks like there might be a problem with the script.txt (?)

e.g. a "$THEIR_CIV" where there should simply be a "$CIV" (or whatever the exact code is, I can't remember)

I remember there being a similar problem with the Hittites'(?) diplomacy script in the epic game, but I fixed it so long ago in my installation, that I don't now remember all the details.

I have secured the autosaves, Civinator. Which one(s) do you want?

Please post the one before you have done that screenshot and one short after that screenshot. I want to go with the multiplayer-tool into those files.

I think that were the 470 and the 480 autosaves, but to be sure I also enclosed the 460.

Attachments

• Conquests Autosave 460 AD.SAV
    8.9 MB · Views: 48
  • Conquests Autosave 470 AD.SAV
    8.8 MB · Views: 62
  • Conquests Autosave 480 AD.SAV
    8.8 MB · Views: 56
And I thought there were two Celt nations, but my Foreign Advisor showed me differently.....
Lots of Celts.jpg

Yes, there are 4 Celtic civs in that game: One in South-East Australia, one in North-West Australia, one in South America and one in Great Columbia (South America).

The more interesting part of the story is, that I thought I had deleted the Celts from the earth map, as their placement on the map severly limited the expansion of the European civs Greece, Rome, Germany and the expansion of Turkey, while they themselves had enough place for an expansion into Asia.

I will have a deeper look into the biq of the RARR worldmap. May be here I reversed two different versions of that worldmap, when correcting the error about the tankplants.

Attachments

• Celts x 4.jpg
    Celts x 4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 380
In my previous RARR world map game the Celts were settled in the south of South-America. In this game I immediately noticed there were not 30 opponents, but 29. So 1 civ must have hit a barbarian raider, that were the English. The Ottomans made an end to the Arab civilization and I did the same with poor Cleopatra. Maybe the 3 extra Celts replaced those 3 lost civilizations?

Coming back to the Great Lighthouse. Changing maps with the Ottomans revealed that the city which was building that Great Wonder, Edrine, wasn't a level size 3 city. So I think that hurdle is only for human players.

And I thought there were two Celt nations, but my Foreign Advisor showed me differently.....
Yes, there are 4 Celtic civs in that game: One in South-East Australia, one in North-West Australia, one in South America and one in Great Columbia (South America).
Oh wow, so I was waaaayy off track talking about the script.txt! :lol:

But how could that happen? Is there a bug with the 'Respawn' option (in mods)?
Changing maps with the Ottomans revealed that the city which was building that Great Wonder, Edrine, wasn't a level size 3 city. So I think that hurdle is only for human players.
You may have misunderstood @Civinator's earlier post.

If any building or Wonder has the Editor-flag "Allows Size 3" (= a 'Metropolis', Pop13+ in the epic-game), it can only begin to be built in a town which has already reached Size 2 (= a 'City', Pop7-12 in the epic-game).

AFAIK, a building/Wonder with the "Allows Size 3" Editor-flag can only be built in a Size-1 'Town' (= Pop1-6 in the epic-game), if it also has the flag "Allows Size 2".

But how could that happen?

In the RARR earthmap, after having played two very long testgames and seeing the problems, that the placement of the Celts on the map is triggering to many other European civs, I set the Celts to be not playable, deleted their starting location on the map and limited the number of civs to 30 - but it seems, that this was not enough. When deleting the Celts completly from the list of civs, this causes some other heavy distortions in the game (p.e.wrong starting locations of civs, when these are fixed, wrong units some civs can build). So at present I try this solution, that hopefully will fix the situation: The Celts will receive their own starting location again in Irland and the landbridge in that map between England and Irland will be cut down. The Celts will still be set to be not playable by the human player.

Here the old setting in the editor:

In long terms, the Celts will be replaced by another civ (may be Maori or Indonesia), but this will need some time, because at present the focus of my modding time is on WW2 Global Gold and SOE.

There are some things on the worldmap biq, that are not working as expected. When starting the 480 AD save file in Multiplayer mode, there was an UN election, so no civ had built the the UN or the League of Nations. The starting place of the Celts in the south of South America is one of the places the AI likes to start the Celts, but the AI mostly starts them in the south-east of Australia. When looking at the list of GWs after starting with the 480AD save file, the Great Lighthouse was built by the Celts in Pyrenne. It can be, that the game for each civ eliminated in the game, started a new Celtic civ, when the 'respawn eliminated civs option' is enabled.

Edited: When having a look at the screenshot, the time scale must be adjusted, too
... and tjs282 is right about the building restriction of the Great Lighthouse.

Attachments

• Celts.jpg
    Celts.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
#tjs282 I can't remember how big (or small) my city was when I wanted to build that Wonder but in my next game I will keep a sharp eye on it. I am glad I misunderstood Civinator's post in this case ;)

It it correct that the Great Lighthouse was finally build in Pyrenne, but the Ottoman city of Edrine was the first who started that wonder.

Yes, it seems a kind of respawning, but I never used that option, so it is a bit strange.

Don't let us rush you, Civinator, I and I think more people are already very glad with the present RARR and CCM.

Top Bottom