Rise from Erebus 1.30 Bug Thread

Finally finished my Grigori game. Here are some more notes, make of them what you will.

First the bugs(?)

* No shipwrecks. Have they been removed? Maybe there ought to be one or two on Reefs?
* Rinwell Isle was founded on a Reef. Was this intentional? It would be pretty cool if the eight surrounding squares for Rinwell were all Reefs.
* I couldn't sanctify land which contained any kind of improvement, whether that improvement be a mine, town, tower or unique feature like Sirona's Beacon (which shone through hell for a large proportion of the game) Same went for coast / sea / ocean. If they had some kind of seafood - even undeveloped - you were out of luck.
* I had an immortal dungeon for a large period of the game. Every time I explored it in an effort to destory it, it cam eback the next turn.
* Regarding the MAF issues I mentioned earlier, I eventually solved these by turning down the Graphics from High to Low. This also sped up the game. If these settings are reg hacks or xml / ini files hanging around on the file system, maybe a tick box could be added to the RifE Launcher.
* There were a few pink box and missing text keys. I think the Heron Throne was one and the Shelter of the Refugee (or whatever the Grigori Refugee building was called) was another.
* Graphics for Gurid and Margalad. They had a tendency to turn into giant vikings when their back was turned.

• Haven't been removed; I'll check it out.
  • Not intended, just random luck. :lol:
  • Not intended... I'll check it.
  • Lairs are going to change a bit. Chance to destroy the lair will be increased.
  • I'm not sure if they are or not... I'll check.
  • Known. Basically, dds files cannot have spaces in their names if you need to use the small icon; Up until the citybar changes were made, buildings did not use those icons. So there are numerous building buttons named like "Heron Throne.dds" rather than "Heron_Throne.dds"
  • That's from low graphics. It automatically turns on Frozen Animations, which doesn't play nicely with FfH art.

Balance Issues / General flow of the game.

* Hyborem turned up and did nothing. He was sandwiched between the Sheaim and the Balseraphs. I'm guessing the Sheaim summoned him, and he didn't want to turn on them right away, but the Balseraphs were absolutely slaughtering him in the culture wars.
* At one stage fairly long into the game the Sidar capital was size one. Some of the other Sidar cities were larger, but heaven alone knows why the Sidar Capital was so awful. My guess is that they raised the Mist Shields and hadn't developed their inner ring enough. Maybe the Sidar Capital should be able to work their outer ring(s). Still at least they captured a few cities from the Barbarians and settled a few of their own, unlike...
* The Khazad. One city the entire game. Didn't even have the excuse of joining the party late. Admittedly the Frozen turned up about turn 200 to his north. I'm presuming Kandros tanked his economy and couldn't get out of the death spiral. Playing on chieftain probably didn't help him much either. The Frozen failed to take advantage although they could have clearly overcome him.
* Flaurous ceded to me as soon as he could, but the Clan, Sheaim and Balseraphs put up a reasonable fight. The Clan used the world spell to particularly good effect. I didn't bother trying to take the Sidar.

• AI work is ongoing (it should tech far better for one.... :p), so it will come.
  • Hmm... Will check it.
  • Ouch. Maybe barbs crippled him early on?
  • The Clan worldspell is quite nice, yes.... :lol:

Other Thoughts

* Should Heroes automatically get a decent Perception stat? That'd ensure that every civilisation has at least one unit that could enter Sidar lands. There were several wars with the Sidar and I'm pretty sure that they couldn't lose cities because the AI didn't understand how to deal with Mist. Maybe Mist should penalise movement and combat rather than prevent it. This still gives the Sidar a strong home turf advantage, but would mean that they'd lose to an overwhelming AI force.
* The Grigori could do with an inqusitor-style unit. It's not in the Grigori interests to accelerate Armageddon but if AV spreads to their citites there's pretty much nothing that they can do until they get Medics, appoint you next adventurer a medic and then wait for him to level up to level 6 so you can turn him into a Luonattor. Perhaps they should have a "Judge" at Code of Laws that can remove all religions from a city. (I guess this ought to apply to any Agnostic Civs)
* Great Sages. They don't have much in the way of funkiness unlike most great people. I'm not too sure what you could give them to improve them. Maybe allow them to cast Inspiration (though if that's the casde you could just settle them instead)

• Only if it is within their flavor, IMO. I'd rather make perception useful enough on it's own to be worthwhile.
  • I could see something like this, yes.
  • We were actually just talking about this in the team forum... Different things we could do with GP to make the unit itself worthwhile, rather than something you always settle as soon as you get it (like the Healer; The unit is quite nice, especially for Agnostics)

Cool Stuff (cos praise is far too rare in this world)

* Chopping Jungles gives Hammers. Excellent. Should have been in Civ4 from the start.
* Great Generals are back. Very Good.
* Homesteads, Refugees and Adventurer Counter all very good.
* Liked the Burning Eye. Neat little graphic.
* Once I turned down the graphics the game was very stable. Congrats on crushing the stability bugs.
* In general, a very fun game and a worthy successor to FfH.

• Thank Opera. :goodjob:
  • Great Generals come from Fall Further; We can't take credit.
  • Glad you like them. :goodjob:
  • I had fun making that, honestly. :lol:
  • And Snarko and Grey Fox both had a lot to do with that. ;)
  • :eekdance:

Either the Resplendant Minaret or the Mirrored Pylon have a pink square.

In addition, on my Windows 7 x86, the installer took actually AGES to start.
It is normal?

Buttons are known.

As for the installer... It can take a while for me as well. It's just fairly large.

I built some frostling archers as the illians and they were able to take city garrison 2 and 3 before taking 1.

Known bug, and fixed in 1.31. Defender grants archers a unique version of Garrison 1 (has to be, or it goes to another unitcombat as well), forgot to have the unique version block the standard one.

While trying to go for a religious victory encountered a few show stoppers :lol:
"Purge the unfaithful" had no effect. (python error #1)
Switching from FoL to any other (non-)religion was not possible (python error #2)

Thought at first #2 might be due to running GoN, but even after changing civics switching the religion was not possible.

Tokala,

The second Python error is related to the popup telling you that units will leave you if you swap religions. Just manually delete any religious heroes and high priests you have, then you can swap as usual.

Tokala,

The second Python error is related to the popup telling you that units will leave you if you swap religions. Just manually delete any religious heroes and high priests you have, then you can swap as usual.

Jepp, that did the trick, forgot that I had Yvain and KK buried in my second SoD :crazyeye:

the civlopedia is broken for units it randomly sets the filter to demonic horde and if you click unfilter it dose not show any units

What modules do you have enabled? That issue does not exist in base Rise from Erebus.

While trying to go for a religious victory encountered a few show stoppers :lol:
"Purge the unfaithful" had no effect. (python error #1)
Switching from FoL to any other (non-)religion was not possible (python error #2)

Thought at first #2 might be due to running GoN, but even after changing civics switching the religion was not possible.

The first I have fixed already.

The second Snarko has fixed. :lol:

So why can't my blooded and greater werewolves take any promotions?

On turn 360, playing Calabim, I just realized I don't have a palace in my capitol. I did react some 10-20 turns ago that my upkeep seemed to have increased a lot, but assumed I hadn't kept track while moving my army around.

This probably is from some event where you lose a building... but even so, the palace should be excluded from those events by vanilla-civ default, right?

Ah well, including a save file in case you can dig up some detail from it.

Edit: Just remembered that I did have the "angry merchants" event around 20 turns ago - corruption and stuff, where they hire an adept to burn down my town. This event might very well be the reason? I still think the palace should be a 'safe building' though ;).

Got another that probably is known already: A jungle hill with smoke on appear to be indefinitely "choppable" until the smoke goes out. The jungle aren't removed and I can even chop multiple times each turn.

Did a search for Hyborem, couldn't see this Python exception noted.

Occurring every turn.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 76
I took Orthus as a ravenous werewolf (Bwahahaha), and now every turn I get the little orthus marker on the edge of my screen, like it thinks he's still a bad guy out to get me.

It crashes a lot. It isn't any definitive problem, and I can go further each time, but it keeps crashing eventually and it's very annoying.

On turn 360, playing Calabim, I just realized I don't have a palace in my capitol. I did react some 10-20 turns ago that my upkeep seemed to have increased a lot, but assumed I hadn't kept track while moving my army around.

This probably is from some event where you lose a building... but even so, the palace should be excluded from those events by vanilla-civ default, right?

Ah well, including a save file in case you can dig up some detail from it.

Edit: Just remembered that I did have the "angry merchants" event around 20 turns ago - corruption and stuff, where they hire an adept to burn down my town. This event might very well be the reason? I still think the palace should be a 'safe building' though ;).

Well... That's an interesting one. I'll check it out.

Got another that probably is known already: A jungle hill with smoke on appear to be indefinitely "choppable" until the smoke goes out. The jungle aren't removed and I can even chop multiple times each turn.

Known.

Did a search for Hyborem, couldn't see this Python exception noted.

Occurring every turn.

Already fixed in 1.31.

I took Orthus as a ravenous werewolf (Bwahahaha), and now every turn I get the little orthus marker on the edge of my screen, like it thinks he's still a bad guy out to get me.

Odd. Shouldn't be doing that.

It crashes a lot. It isn't any definitive problem, and I can go further each time, but it keeps crashing eventually and it's very annoying.

I think this may be the first post I've seen saying it crashes a lot; Others say it is exceedingly stable.

Gee, AV has been founded 120 turns ago, Mahala (founder) and Tebryn Abrandy are neighboors, however, Tebryn still follows Fellowship. Should he have converted to AV already?

In other notes: Sheaim Skk raising AC. They concentrate too much on expensive Elegy of Sheam early, and forget to found AV on time. Worse, in my game Tebryn is teamed with Mahon the butcher and neither founder AV.

EDIT: Dunno if this has been stated before. Is about building that substract culture.

The most common is Scion's emperor's mark. If placed on a city that do not generate any culture (the city start generating negative culture), and left there for some time, eventually that city would have reached the limit of negative culture (possible?) and go directly to the maximum amount of culture.
This actually happened to me, I saw a message stating "An city has reached legendary culture". I looked to victory conditions, and such city, had an incredibly high amount of culture for a mid game. Dunno if possible to check this.

What modules do you have running? An older version of Less Dangerous Animals had a pretty serious crash problem.

Are any other civs running it? Because you need at least two before the initial vote for council leader comes up. Afterwards, at least in my current game, you will continue to get council meetings even if you're the only one left running it (I had eliminated the only other civ in my current game). That may be dependent on being the leader when you are made the last civ left.

Top Bottom