Rise from Erebus 1.30 Bug Thread

You may want to take another look at the empyrean spells, I've frequently found myself unable to cast the anti-mist buff for no apparent reason and Revelation - which probably should always be available - often doesn't work either, even when you know that there must be an invisible enemy around. Blinding Light on the other hand works even if you can't see it's target making it quite useful for finding esus followers.

Yeah, I didn't expect that mapscript options could do that. Not intentionally anyway, I suppose it is possible something isn't getting cleaned/unloaded properly - perhaps something to do with map generation, but more likely something during the game itself - which would explain why it persists until the program is restarted.

Anyway, at best it's a footnote until I can figure out how to repeat it reliably.

Just had a repeatable CTD when casting Revelation in a mp game. Civilization is the Mercurians, Savegame attached, Modules used here.

I hope Multiplayer savegames can still be used for bug hunting...

Attachments

• Mylet Turn_0347.CivBeyondSwordSave
    650.4 KB · Views: 42
Speaking of Revelation, it and Dispel commonly cause crashes for me.

Most likely because they are removing promotions from treasure (equipment) chests that are not supposed to have them. This in turn kill the unit. Then it tries to do other stuff to the same unit, which is already dead and thus cannot be interacted with. Patch will fix it. For now removing them in WB is the best solution.

To figure out which chest is causing it you can turn on all logging options in the ini. Then check MPLog.txt and look at the last line. It should tell you a treasure chest moved from X:Y to -ReallyHugeNumber:-ReallyHugeNumber. Remove the chest at X:Y.

Balseraphs use Create puppet a lot. In fact, they use it so much such spell, that they completely forgets to use any other kind of spells. Worse, they use the puppet as an offensive force, and also don't make the puppet cast any kind of spells.

I'm attaching two saves. The crash_save is from ~10 turns before the quicksave and in the crash_save I was experiencing about a 60% CTD. In the quicksave it won't completely load now without crashing to desktop. I have worker_start, linked_builds and low_barb_aggro modules downloaded and active. I think I've found all civs so far and Kolshevann and Absaroke have DoW on me in the quicksave which makes me think it might be the chislev worldspell causing a problem.
Any help is appreciated as I'm really really getting in to this mod. Everybody that has worked on this deserves just as much praise as the Ffh2 team, way to go guys.

Going to play from the crash save again and give any more info as it comes (but it's almost midnight here so I may go to sleep after this one last turn...)

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    213 KB · Views: 54
  • crash_save.CivBeyondSwordSave
    203.2 KB · Views: 57
keeping in mind this is a free mod of a free mod of an excellent game, I hate to say it but it is far too unstable to recommend to other people. If you can figure out some if not all of the CTDs then it will become the stuff of legend. Unfortunately considering the amount of hangs and CTDs on top of the higher difficulty and longer normal gameplay this mod offers it might be something to recommend players wait until a more stable version is out (unless like me they can't get enough of Erebus, then suffer through the CTDs because it is so almost worth it.)

Here's a funny bug... or is it a feature?

According to the Wiki on Paladins, only "Good" races should be able to get them.

However, playing Lawful Neutral Scions that just created Basium, I can now take any base melee or disciple unit into his culture territory and then upgrade them to a Paladin. :)

Note: I'm seeing how long I can get this game to last while still winning it. So far, not one unpreventable CTD/WOC/general failure in this game. That would be two out of five, if I can finish this one, that haven't had an issue that broke the game. (Both successful games would have been as Scions.)

I'm attaching two saves. The crash_save is from ~10 turns before the quicksave and in the crash_save I was experiencing about a 60% CTD. In the quicksave it won't completely load now without crashing to desktop. I have worker_start, linked_builds and low_barb_aggro modules downloaded and active. I think I've found all civs so far and Kolshevann and Absaroke have DoW on me in the quicksave which makes me think it might be the chislev worldspell causing a problem.
Any help is appreciated as I'm really really getting in to this mod. Everybody that has worked on this deserves just as much praise as the Ffh2 team, way to go guys.

Going to play from the crash save again and give any more info as it comes (but it's almost midnight here so I may go to sleep after this one last turn...)

Cromagnum, try to disable the worker_start module (you may have to do this manually as the launcher doesn't seem to work on this one, for me at least) and then reload. This module appears to cause crashes for me whenever a barb city spawns. Also bear in mind that RIFE 1.3 is actually very stable, and many issues are in fact caused by modmodmods, similar to the ones that you have added to your game, which Valkrion has no control over.

keeping in mind this is a free mod of a free mod of an excellent game, I hate to say it but it is far too unstable to recommend to other people. If you can figure out some if not all of the CTDs then it will become the stuff of legend. Unfortunately considering the amount of hangs and CTDs on top of the higher difficulty and longer normal gameplay this mod offers it might be something to recommend players wait until a more stable version is out (unless like me they can't get enough of Erebus, then suffer through the CTDs because it is so almost worth it.)

If you were commenting on v 1.23 I would definitely agree with you. However, I have found v 1.30 to be very stable.

I have even been able to graduate to a Large map with more civs in the game. I was stuck with Standard sized maps and Normal speed with 1.23 and, even then, could only finish maybe 50% of my games.

With 1.30, I have started 8 games and finished all but one. That one, I later found out, had issues with a rogue Treasure Chest (which seem to be a popular culprit for CTDs now) and could have gone back and likely finished it.

Is this modmod perfect? Of course not, and you will get the occasional CTD. But, IMO, it is a quantum leap from the previous version in stability.

I think there are ideal conditions/variables for the game and if you try something else, you might get the CTDs or MAFs. ex. Huge map, Marathon speed, etc.

Base RifE 1.30 has had very few game-breaking bugs reported, and the majority will be fixed in 1.31; Most bugs that I've seen reported lately are actually from various modmods. :lol:

Here's a funny bug... or is it a feature?

According to the Wiki on Paladins, only "Good" races should be able to get them.

However, playing Lawful Neutral Scions that just created Basium, I can now take any base melee or disciple unit into his culture territory and then upgrade them to a Paladin. :)

Note: I'm seeing how long I can get this game to last while still winning it. So far, not one unpreventable CTD/WOC/general failure in this game. That would be two out of five, if I can finish this one, that haven't had an issue that broke the game. (Both successful games would have been as Scions.)

Completely a feature.

Cromagnum, try to disable the worker_start module (you may have to do this manually as the launcher doesn't seem to work on this one, for me at least) and then reload. This module appears to cause crashes for me whenever a barb city spawns. Also bear in mind that RIFE 1.3 is actually very stable, and many issues are in fact caused by modmodmods, similar to the ones that you have added to your game, which Valkrion has no control over.

If you were commenting on v 1.23 I would definitely agree with you. However, I have found v 1.30 to be very stable.

I have even been able to graduate to a Large map with more civs in the game. I was stuck with Standard sized maps and Normal speed with 1.23 and, even then, could only finish maybe 50% of my games.

With 1.30, I have started 8 games and finished all but one. That one, I later found out, had issues with a rogue Treasure Chest (which seem to be a popular culprit for CTDs now) and could have gone back and likely finished it.

Is this modmod perfect? Of course not, and you will get the occasional CTD. But, IMO, it is a quantum leap from the previous version in stability.

I think there are ideal conditions/variables for the game and if you try something else, you might get the CTDs or MAFs. ex. Huge map, Marathon speed, etc.

Glad to see all the support. :goodjob:

I've been taking a small break from 1.31 (partly to give Shoggi time to finish adding spawngroups, partly because RL came up and I needed to do something more... entertaining?) and am working on a small sideproject... A personal module. However, that module IS for RifE and will be released as soon as 1.31 is. ;)

I have had a fair number of stability issues, without running modmods. It's possible that it's just my system running low on memory, I think, as it only has 1GB. However, I didn't uninstall 1.23 before I installed 1.3. Would doing a clean install likely help?

This is probably already known, but World of Erebus sometimes creates forests on water, and the final five turn counter starts at like 5000, and in one of my games actually went up each turn rather than down

6 hours later and no crashes after disabling the mods. going to go ahead and say that yes that was the cause. It may have already been pointed out but D'tesh binders cannot defile crypts in the third ring.

Turn 157(epic/immortal/large map): prophesy of Ragnarok has been built in a far away land.

I don't want to spoil my game by poking around in world builder to figure out who or how, but it seems to me that should be impossible. I haven't been getting a ton of great people announced, including no recent engineers, so tons of bulbs + speed build isn't possible. I suppose enough tech might be if the same ai kept getting free techs from lairs, but i've never seen an ai do well at exploring, or be aggressive enough early game to get it by now.

I've modified my xml slightly from base rife. all work rate promotions are 3x their default value, and all civs start with at least 1 worker on any difficulty including the player (starting worker module makes my game crash, its annoying to have to save and unload it on turn 2 every game, and xml changes accomplish the same thing. Work speed is glacial, promotions help that although i need to just go back and do the base speed and tone down the promos for better balance i think.)

Screenshot
Spoiler :

Save attached if interested.

I started playing ver 1.3 after playing on ver C I have from two months ago. I played Prince level.

First, Austrin are a very interesting civ. Their scouts are very strong compared to other civs, but I guess thats part of the civ trait.

A few bugs/comments -
1. the trackers, although replacing rangers, cannot get upgraded to beast masters or druids, which seems odd (and very frustrating) since they are rangers
2. The annunciation on city going to expand/get sick worked fine inthe ver C I have (early announcing that the city will grow unhealthy 1-2 turns before it happens). In Ver 1.3 all annunciation appear at the same time, after the city grew, so you don't have time to respond. I assume that the early annunciations are for some reason disabled, although I didn't change anything when I did the version update
3. Archon the nice little dragon appeared at some point and was completely unleashed! that's a new thing after playing FFH2. Also, he appeared well after 250 turns although I had a few barbarian cities around for quite some time.
4. The AI I played with, Amuriets, Bannor , Hippos & Lanun were completely dormant for 250 turns, not building any cities while I managed to build 4 and conquer 1 more. I remember the AI being a bit more expansive in the Prince level.
5. The Frozen appeared out of no where turn ~250 - is that intentional?
6. The map generator placed two mana nodes next to each other on the map - I think that's a bug

Last but not least - are you going to add trophies for the new civs? I captured the Leviathan during the game and got the trophey for it, but I guess winning as Austrin won't get me anything...

Blacklanner I see nothing wrong with AI getting it that fast. One AI pretty much rushed way of the wicked and then built the prophecy.

I did find one strange thing. They got an event that requires a carnival before they had festivals. How did they get the carnival? I don't know.

Spoiler stuff they did :

Turns I state are when techs are done.
exploration turn 18
hunting turn 42
mysticism turn 54
turn 54 godking
turn 57 second city
mining turn 65
animal husbandry turn 75
education turn 87
turn 88 apprenticeship
turn 99 third city
philosophy turn 108
way of the wicked turn 120
turn 121 undercouncil
fishing turn 129
caldendar turn 138
turn 145 talented carnival performer (event) <-- requires carnival in city
turn 147 agrarianism
festivals turn 150 <-- enables building carnival
turn 151 great bard in capital

How did they get a carnival before festivals?

It appears they pretty much started building the prophecy as soon as they got way of the wicked. I see reports of the other two cities finishing units and buildings, but nothing for the capital.
They could easily finish it in 49 turns.

Top Bottom