1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise from Erebus 1.30 Bug Thread

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mo123567

mo123567 Worst modder ever!

I've just finished my current game as the Scions. Not because it was over but because it has become unplayable. (I guess I have already reached the point of dominating anyway but I wanted to bask in my civ's greatness a little longer)

Early in the game I ran into a repeatable crash that I could just not get past even if I went back a few turns. I went into the world builder and tried deleting all the animals on mountain peaks (there were quite a few.) but that didn't work. I remember someone mentioning problems with lizard units causing crashes so just for the heck of it I tried deleting the Cuali civ. I was going to try the Mazati next but there was no need. After deleting the Cuali, my game ran crash free for hundreds of turns...

But, after awhile I started to experience a few non-repeatable crashes when ending turns. After awhile it was happening every couple of turns. I haven't had any slowdown issues and when it doesn't crash ending turns doesn't take too long. The only thing I notice is that even though there are no wars going on, the AI seems to be casting tons of spells/summons. I can hear a whole bunch of sound effects going off when I end the turn. I only have 13 civs left on my large map but the file is too big to post here. (2mb seems to be the limit) Still, I wonder if any other people who play large games or even smaller games have this problem?

2. Niveras

Niveras Prince

Some exceptions, now that I'd finally remembered to turn on the python exceptions in the .ini

First deals with what I believe is the "werewolf at the gate" random event. This might be the cause of some of the random CTDs that people get that don't repeat when they load an autosave from a couple turns back: a few seconds after getting this exception, Civ would freeze and CTD. This repeated itself three or four times during this game, on different turns.

Second is a python exception that hit after I won the game and I was shown the hall of fame. Additionally you can see that my HoF isn't entirely working, although if I select a victory condition (or, I believe, any selection more specific than "any and all victories") I can see the previous games fine.

Attached Files:

3. Elm

Elm Warlord

For the mutate issue (promotion effects changing when a unit is upgraded) is there an easy fix, modifying python, or is this something that cannot be fixed until 1.31?

I want to play as Balseraphs but they really won't be fun with mutation as it is. I suppose I could replace PROMOTION_MUTATED on the Freak with something else.

4. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

The first one I'll check out.

The second one, I think I've figured out. :lol: I hadn't been able to figure out how we could possibly have broken that screen (the file defining it is in the base civ4 folder, not even BtS), but your point about victories tells me what it is.

We removed the lightning victories. If you had any games completed that used those victories, well... It would break.

Simple solution? Open up My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, and delete the Replays folder. It will empty your HoF, but the only other solution is to figure out exactly which saves cause the issue.... No other fix.

5. Valkrionn

It requires a DLL fix.

6. Torugu

Torugu Prince

Another Python exception. I wonder if this one is related to the Resurrection bug?

Attached Files:

7. Ilyes

Ilyes Chieftain

Maybe not a bug, but just started a game with Huge map and 29 Civilizations: the Amurites wasted Arcana Lacuna, using it on the first turn. Perhaps the AI calculates the number of total worldwide units, and casts the spell once reached a certain threshold? In that case, Arcana Lacuna's threshold sould be calculated only on arcane units.

8. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

or on mean number of units per civ

9. Valkrionn

It's calculated based on the number of typed (fire, ice, etc) mana nodes on the map.

Starting with Wild Mana options plays hell with that calculation, as they're already on the map.

10. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I've found 1.30 much more stable than the previous version. I have no problem going with games using what I think are the preferred specs - normal speed on a standard-sized map with the default number of civs.

When I've gone to the Large map, things are fine until the save game size gets up to .5 mb. Then, I get some reload CTDs. I can't imagine a save game file of 2mb.

I am very happy that I am able to graduate to the Large maps with the default number of civs in 1.30 and will try a Huge map in my next game. However, I think the saved game file gets pretty big quickly as the map fills and I will likely run into trouble.

11. EugeneStyles

EugeneStyles Prince

I don't play with Wild Mana options, yet the Amurites pretty consistently cast Arcane Lacuna within the first few turns of the game. Since unique features give typed mana, are they counted in the number of typed mana nodes in the game? Looking at the python, I think they are counted (I could obviously be wrong, because I'm no expert).

Maybe the AI just shouldn't cast Arcane Lacuna until some random number of turns after Knowledge of the Ether?

12. Ilyes

Ilyes Chieftain

Ops. Forgot that I was playing with that, sorry. :lol:

Still, it could be something worth fixing. I can't recall if it gives experience to arcane units, reverts mana to untyped or does both (one is an "offensive" effect, the other buffs Amurites spellcaster) but regardless of that, playing it on turn 1 is always pretty much useless. Dunno how the upcoming revision of the magic system will work with Arcana Lacuna, but consider reworking the calculation factoring mana actually available to other players, or improved nodes, or Amurites spellcasters. :)

13. Valkrionn

Oh, it will be fixed. Just saying it had nothing to do with units. :p

14. Brokenbone

Brokenbone Prince

Bannor oddities under Tethira:

(1) Is instructor meant to give a free promo to any "new" unit, with the "new" being interpreted very, very liberally? Such as upon capture (via Command promos or Subdue Animal) or upon upgrade (Scout to Hunter, free promo, Hunter to Ranger, another free promo)? It's cool that oddly acquired units such as the Stooges get it, but it feels a little exploity to grab free promos carefully managing your way "up the tiers." Same would go for Adept to Mage meaning not only the free Mage promo, but also an Instructor-generated promo.

(2) Garrison Captains in your forts. Given the right level, they can gain mobility promotion, or given presence of a "haste" caster, they can move around too. Such as to a cushy home in a city where they can command the local garrison, giving all those spiffy commander type promos. I'm pretty sure all other standard fort commanders are immovable or "die with the fort if the fort goes", may be wrong.

15. Valkrionn

1. Thanks for the reminder, moved it to onUnitBuilt instead of Created
    2. Fort Commanders will be leashed (AI will promote correctly), so that won't be an issue.

16. EugeneStyles

EugeneStyles Prince

Ooh... does that mean they will be able to attack units standing next to the fort? I'm torn on whether or not that would be a good thing, but it does sometimes make me sad that my Fort Commander is sitting there with a Str of 6 or 7 or whatever, but can't effectively stop even the weakest enemy because his ranged attack can't kill.

To some degree, I really miss the zones of control from Civ 2 (or was it 1? 3? all of the above?).

17. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

I think that the requirement for Arcane Lacuna should also include a minimum number of units.
    Like say, X mana nodes + Y arcane units you own.

Also, why not change the requirement from number of resources to number of built nodes.
    That way only player owned mana would count toward the AI requirement.

18. Valkrionn

Yes it will.

The second part is what is already intended.

19. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

No way!... you mean if I delete the replays folder, I could again record my HoF victories?
    That's simple? There should be a catch!

EDIT: Yo! Valk, I thought you said that Sheaim would no longer spoil the game following other religions but AV, but Tebryn Arbandy in my game just founded Fellowship!!!!! (That's why AC never rises)

20. Valkrionn

Yes, simply clearing that folder will work. It took time to figure out because we didn't modify the screen; Didn't think we'd done anything. :lol:

It was just the removal of old victory types that broke it. Removing replays which reference those victories corrects the issue.

As for the Sheaim - I never, ever said they'd only follow AV. :confused: I said they were encouraged to follow AV, for the sheer purpose of increasing the AC, but that's just encouragement; The AI does not follow flavors blindly, sometimes it chooses to do otherwise.