Rise from Erebus 1.30 Bug Thread

Magic won't be revised till 1.4ish.

Also use Milaga's No Linked Builds module to turn your elves back into the tree-huggers they're supposed to be.

Magic won't be revised till 1.4ish.

Also use Milaga's No Linked Builds module to turn your elves back into the tree-huggers they're supposed to be.

oh I thought this was the patch....I've been playing civ v too long:lol:
no it doesn't corrupt saves, tk Torgu, worked like a charm

I also noticed the elephant doesn't become "tame" and you can't pass his blood promo to hunters, moving away rom a haunted land that has just been dispelled affects your unit as if the haunted land were still there.
All barbarian units seem to have a "heal while moving effect", incuding galleys. helps make them more challenging, so its a nice touch even if it's unintentional.;)

game crashed when my golden drake breathed fire adjacent to 2 barbarian galleys

on a different note, does anyone know why they made the winking xmas smiley so creepy:(

This has probably been answered somewhere, but I don't see it. When I try to use the launcher to start the game, nothing happens. I've reinstalled to no effect. If I try loading the mod through BtS that doesn't work either. Is this a common problem?

@CitizenSnips: your problem isn't quite clear. What happens when you click on Launch RifE from the Launcher? What happens when you try to load the game from BtS?

Check taskmanager to see if Beyond the Sword is listed; RifE takes some time to start on certain machines. It sounds this is what you're experiencing.

I tried that. It should show up on taskmanager right away, right? Because it never does when I try it. When I try to launch RifE a dialog box pops up for a split second, but I can't read it or make a screen grab, then nothing else happens.

Well, nothing and nothing.
That's clearer. When you say, "start with BTS", you mean launching BTS then going into Load Mod and selecting RifE? If so, then BTS closes and nothing happens? If so, then reinstall RifE. Best guess.

I might be crazy (or just prone to oversight) since I just searched through this whole thread for "worldspell" and didn't find any report of this, but... I was able to cast Warcry from a Hippus city that I took as Thessalonica.

e: Oh, right, already reported... in the feedback thread, for some reason (???)

This has probably been answered somewhere, but I don't see it. When I try to use the launcher to start the game, nothing happens. I've reinstalled to no effect. If I try loading the mod through BtS that doesn't work either. Is this a common problem?

Not sure if it applies, but when I first installed the mod and tried to use the launcher, it wouldn't work. But, when I rebooted, it started working for me. Normally, that sort of thing isn't an issue for me (WinXP-Pro R3). But, for some reason, that "fixed" my launcher problem.

Not sure as how much of a "bug" this can be seen, but Rise from Erebus takes quite long to load AI movements (or whatever else is calculated after ending my turn) on my typical map setup (Huge ErebusContinent, Smartest Settings + Various Extra Settings, Barbarian World, End of Winter, More active orcs, etc.), which seems quite unusual and sadly reminding of the terribly long turn loading time that also exists in Civ 5.
I'm purely talking about SP games here.

No matter if I take 16 or 11 civs (haven't tried any less but the effect difference between those two is minimal), it takes ~ 30 secs up to a minute or so to load a new turn, right after the initial map generation during my first turns.
Haven't ever had this in FfH2 or Fall Further on my gaming machine (Core i7, etc. etc.) and thus I'm wondering if there are some lacking optimizations that may cause this, seeing as even far more advanced and populated Civ 4 BTS or FfH2 games never gave me that kind of lag while my actual machine is rather bored.

Aside from that, (Although similar things have been probably said) I'm not too sure if its a good idea to enable barbarian units with 5+ attack from round one onwards, even with barbarian world, wild orcs, etc.
Getting obliterated by Hill Giants, Cyclopsi, Angels, Raging Monks and thelike within the first 10 turns tends to be a bit too much for your average sole city defender warrior...

Otherwise, great mod so far, good to see that someone is still working to improve the great fantasy world that came to be called Erebus, always very fun to read and play something like this.

Agreed with what Crynsos said but, Crynsos: note with RifE I usually do 1 map size smaller than is my wont, so slowdowns are minimized somewhat. With terraforming spells there is much more usable terrain than you may be used to with other mods or with the base game.

Repeatable CTD.

Game crashed when the drake is using "claim fort" on "Rinwell isle".

I believe that I tried to explore Rinwell Isle the first time it crashed, and not claim fort, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    757.3 KB · Views: 62
Agreed with what Crynsos said but, Crynsos: note with RifE I usually do 1 map size smaller than is my wont, so slowdowns are minimized somewhat. With terraforming spells there is much more usable terrain than you may be used to with other mods or with the base game.

What I'm used to as of lately is mainly classic FfH II, which while it contains some minor terraforming options, I don't really get around to use any of them.
Will note that about terraforming, although its still a mystery for me how Rise from Erebus manages to lag so badly while FfH and FF do just fine with almost the same settings.

I assume it actually only loads the data of the units, terrain, etc. which are currently required, but even if it doesn't, the amount of data that is contained and has to be worked with each turn in a densely populated FfH world seems far more likely to create lag than the quite empty situation of a fresh RifE map.

Not sure as how much of a "bug" this can be seen, but Rise from Erebus takes quite long to load AI movements (or whatever else is calculated after ending my turn) on my typical map setup (Huge ErebusContinent, ...

Neither FFH or RiFE do well with Huge maps. There's quite a lot going on. I generally play with normal or smaller maps. The game gets bloated, for me, with large maps and will have impossible turn times in the late game.

Aside from that, (Although similar things have been probably said) I'm not too sure if its a good idea to enable barbarian units with 5+ attack from round one onwards, even with barbarian world, wild orcs, etc.

Most of those are going to be popped from dungeon explorations by the AI, maybe a few random events. Sometimes, you can get a situation where a dungeon explore pops a medium strength unit, in relation to the AI, and then a few waves of warriors attack it, giving it some really nice exp. I've seen some pretty nasty bears wandering around as well, who've obviously benefited from a diet of AI scouts and warriors..

I can imagine that, but since I never experienced anything alike to this so far, even in rather endgame, huge FfH maps with similar settings and 10+ AI, this came as quite a surprise.

I probably worded that part about the barbarians not too well... what I meant was that I got two attacks from barbarians with 5+ attack power (without promotions, I'm quite familiar with bears that have +60% strength, although that is an entirely different scenario which is all fine with me) during my first 5 - 10 turns in a game yesterday. The same happened various times in other maps with similar settings and upon opening worldbuilder, I saw a good deal more giants and thelike all over the map, who are quite capable of killing off any civ before they can even build a second warrior. Not to talk of incoming orcs from cities and other barbarians which will be spawned from lairs if I ever manage to get past those first turns.

I like to struggle and have a hard time defending against incoming forces, but that stops being fun when the map spawns enough barbarians to kill off every civ in a very short time frame right from the start. That isn't exactly survivable when all you have is a scout, warrior and a city to protect.

Playing as Mechanos

At AC 100, city size is dropping by half (as according to message box) but then at the start of the next turn it has halved again! I'm assuming this is much the same as was happening with Blight. Could the same thing be happening with Units being killed at AC 100, as I'm down to about 1 living unit per city (playing at Emperor difficulty)?
Broader alignments - are the building changes actually applied? Building a dungeon had no affect and then WB in Shrine of Sirona (with its prerequisites) had no affect on alignment either. Joining Overcouncil does so alignment is changing sometimes

I probably worded that part about the barbarians not too well... what I meant was that I got two attacks from barbarians with 5+ attack power (without promotions, I'm quite familiar with bears that have +60% strength, although that is an entirely different scenario which is all fine with me) during my first 5 - 10 turns in a game yesterday. The same happened various times in other maps with similar settings and upon opening worldbuilder, I saw a good deal more giants and thelike all over the map, who are quite capable of killing off any civ before they can even build a second warrior. Not to talk of incoming orcs from cities and other barbarians which will be spawned from lairs if I ever manage to get past those first turns.

I like to struggle and have a hard time defending against incoming forces, but that stops being fun when the map spawns enough barbarians to kill off every civ in a very short time frame right from the start. That isn't exactly survivable when all you have is a scout, warrior and a city to protect.

Dungeons, giant forts and the goblin lairs generally don't spawn mobs for a few turns. So, if you see one, especially a giant fort, try to get rid of it as soon as possible. In my experience, all lairs will pop one mob that will remain stationary until another pops several turns later. The exception to that is a minotaur lair, which will pop a minotaur that will stay inside a two square radius (even if it overlaps your cultural boundaries) until another one pops. Then, generally they hang out together unless you have a settlement near or one of them gets drawn out.

For giants, they can be troublesome. But, I've never seen one on a very early turn where I didn't have at least two warriors defending a town. With the warrior's city defense and +vs barbs (IIRC) bonus, two can generally take down one early game giant. With three, or two and an archer, they're not a problem at all.

Named barbs and things like the nasty ironskin troll/ogre (or whatever they're called) have predictable AI's. Orcus is relatively easy if you can catch him in bad terrain with a few warriors. Otherwise, get six-seven or so and he should go down. The goblin archer named spawns with several additional units. He's not so bad by himself because all he does is use a ranged attack. I've never seen him actually attack anything using a melee attack. So, if you can kill off his adds, let him plink away until you have sufficient forces to counter-attack. ( Just be advised, you can leach exp off of him for your ranged attack units. But, he gets exp for surviving their attacks as well...) For the big troll/ogre guys that can pop on a "bad bad" dungeon spawn prompted by an AI explorer, they don't melee attack either. They will pillage, but they'll only do their ranged attack, so no worries about one eating up your new cities.. Though, they can be troublesome pillagers and weaken units for other barbs to eat.

I've been surrounded by barbs as well. Usually, if it's the kind that will directly melee attack a city, there's not much of a problem unless it's a horde accompanied by ranged attackers or a big unit. But, they can be a problem in hampering your expansion and development. The last game I had where that was a problem, I had barbs on every side of my small, three city empire, including Minotaurs, the named gobbie archer, a couple of giants and random goblins. I survived by pumping out warriors and rushing to archery. The key is knowing what their AI is likely to make them do.

Doublecheck to be sure you're not using a custom start, like rampaging barbs or something. There may also be some bonuses due to barbs depending on your difficulty level. FFH2 turns barbarians and animals into a significant game element. But, all but the strongest of them become non-issues fairly early in the game.

Top Bottom