RLC#4 Sitting Bull.

Watching this game with interest Pigswill. I find Sitting Bull one of the harder leaders to play.

That sounds like a good plan, Pigswill. Don't feel pressured to play when you are not in the mood, that won't do anyone any good. Have fun.

SB got decent starting techs, which both goes for food. And Agriculture is one of the best early tech. Pre-requisite or AH if needed, or second Pre-requisite of pottery along Wheel. Fishing makes another modifier for even faster pottery. If needed ofc.

He has got the greatest barb defense of all. Resourceless and only need BW. Pacal II needs BW and Hunting, which makes his less appealing and can get owned by the occasional late axemen. Dog soldiers will never meet some barb chariots. And barb HA arrives so late (because the barb team techs ultra slow) they never appear in normal games.

He's philosophical and this is always a great trait to have. Some accuses SB having fishing neutralizes the use of his philosophical trait for some Engineering rush, but discounting this, he's a great leader overall.

His UB is niche but for defense in tight situation sandwhiched between warmongers, that can be salvaging and costless. Or use this niche UB for later ultra upgrading of archery units into gunpowder units with free XPs/promo.

Yeah, he has protective (but goes well along his UB), but not all leaders are perfect. Some are, but the game is naturally unbalanced.

SB is so good in my book that, on highest levels, I reroll him. I like the barb play dimension (although on competitive play, barbs can break the comparison quality) and SB simply kills it. Because his dog soldier simply makes barbs wimps and predictable.

Anyways, there are leaders far worse than him.

Even the Protective trait has its place if you don't regen crap maps. :)

Of course! I didn't say the contrary. It's a weak trait, but has its use on the correct format. On AW, it's simply awesome. Possibly the strongest along charismatic.

No leader with the philosophical trait sucks. This is the most foolproof trait there is, all you really need to remember is to not trade for machinery until you've bulbed liberalism. Aesthetics->music path, trade them for all prereqs, use the GA to pump out great scientists...it's so good it's almost clumsy game design.

Ha ha. You probably thought I'd forgotten this game ;).

Truth is I've been working night shifts for the past month and vegging out on Amalur:Reckoning, pretty in places but lacking in strategic depth.

In the interim my natural level has plummeted from monarch to warlord. Hopefully I won't get too heavily criticised :nono: for sub-optimal :smoke: play.

As you may recall we'd got up to 2240bc, just finished pottery and were almost ready for our second city.....

Teched mysticism for Totem Poles then AH coz we like horses (though not to eat).

Switched to slavery then settled Flying Fish as planned up north.

Flying Pig knocked out a bunch of Dogs to spawnbust the wilderness. As a result barbs are largely under control though Three Panthers only survived an onslaught of barbarian arrows by hiding behind a tree.

Flying Fish has a Totem Pole and a workboat, borders pop next turn so we can work some fish.

Oracle went early (1840bc) and Izzy adopted HR next turn, a strange coincidence. Judaism got founded in 1520 which is pretty late. My guess is that Izzy will pick up theology in the not distant future.

Flying Pig gets its next settler in 3 turns. Probably put it slightly south on the river to overlap some cottages, coastal or horses? Probably horses.

Any thoughts on dot mapping (Zara is to the south east, Fred is somewhere east).

Attachments

• Sitting Bull BC-1440.CivBeyondSwordSave
    103.7 KB · Views: 56
I'm tempted to play along, always wanted to make sense out of PRO and who better than SB's super archers...

How would you approach this game after the immediate opening? I'm thinking of something unorthodox like very early MC (self-tech or Oracle), whip a forge, then GE bulb MC 17 turns later for crossbow fun. Is it possible to Oracle MC outright on Immortal?
GM bulb would also be possible but requires Currency and CoL, which would be quite bit later.

Or is it better to go for longbows? Could you get Writing and Monarchy in time to get Feud via Oracle? If so, that might be the fastest possible option, although longbows aren't as good as crossbows for rushing.

Then there's the conservative approach, get a bunch of libraries, run scientists and tech up as normal. ToA or Pyramids would be nice with that approach. Or other things...

What would you do?

There's no-one close enough to make a rush tempting. We're not industrious and don't have marble or stone so wonders ain't too appealing either. I'm thinking of a conservative approach, settle a few more cities while going something like writing>aesthetics>drama>music.

So, was the thumbs up to Protective and thumbs down to Philo in the OP a mistake or what?

I prefer to think of it as deliberate irony. There's plenty of threads already about protective, pretty useful in some circumstances, pretty naff in most circumstances. Philosophical is pretty useful in all circumstances.

Played a few more turns up to 1000bc. Pretty quiet. No barbs. No AI incursions into 'our' territory.

Isabella swopped to OR in 1360, confirming the theology beeline.

Crazy Horse is founded to the south in 1240bc. Short of food unless we irrigate riverside grassland but can work riverside cottages.

Our next settler is heading north east. I debated splitting the area between two cities but I'm not sure its worth it.

Writing came in at 1080bc, saving some pennies until libraries are built, still a few turns away.

Just a quick question, why not settle Crazy Horse 1N1E? That way it can work 3 riverside grassland tiles and the horses without needing a border pop.

My thinking was that a bit later on once we've picked up IW Crazy Horse gets to work the two coastal grassland riverside tiles. It also gets to acquire bananas later on.

Music for the GArtist for a GA for good GPP production for GScientists for bulb down Lib path? Or is there another good use for early Music?

As far as the next city, I find the Copper/2x Fish site appealing. Then again, Copper/Cow/Fish/Incense is also nice. I would like to see what is north of the Corn before deciding on how to allocate that resource, but perhaps that is too much scouting before settling. You have potential Hammer and Commerce and GPP sites already, what does the empire need? No big items missing it would seem.

Played up to 500bc. Forgot to take screenshots while playing but there hasn't been any drama (yet).

975. Zara settles Debre Burhan in our jungle :mad:. Always likely to happen at some point ;). Still it relieves our watchdog of spawn busting duties, I open borders with Zara and let the dog out for a walk.

950. Settle Sipping Bull to the north west, gets a few resources. Settling the city frees up another dog, open borders with Fred so he can also go walkies.
Spoiler :

900. Flying Fish worker>library.
Flying Pig whips library (2 pop).

875. Pyramids built somewhere, slightly early but not very early.
Fred goes Buddhist.
Flying Pig library>settler.
Crazy Horse whips totem pole (TP) to pop borders asap.

850. Crazy Horse starts on a granary.
Isabella makes an arrogant demand:
Spoiler :

We humbly and meekly agree, thinking revenge is like beer on a hot summer's day.

800. Whip library in Flying Fish.

775. Flying Fish allocates 2 scientists and starts on a workboat(WB).

750. Open borders with Isabella to continue exploration.

700. Zara adopts Buddhism.
Flying Pig settler>TP. Settler heads south east.

625. Settler arrives and founds Rough Diamond:
Spoiler :

Not the greatest location ever but it gets gems in BFC as well as a fish, Zara's culture pressure might make it difficult to keep gems.

575. Mahabodhi bidl.
Quietly cancel fish tribute to Isabella.

550. Our first religion. Judaism spreads to Flying Fish :(.
We get our first GS in Flying Fish who heads to the bright lights of Flying Pig.

525. GS founds Academy of Native American Arts in Flying Pig.
Flying Pig TP>rax.

500. Aesthetics is finally in. Start on alphabet hoping for a trade:

We've learned a bit more about our neighbourhood:

Tokugawa's isolation seems to be enhanced by Hinduism.

Attachments

• Sitting Bull BC-0500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    140.9 KB · Views: 48
Zara has certainly done a good job of rexing though still outscored by Izzy at the moment.

We could do with another settler for the ivory site, its possible that Izzy may beat us to it, if so the settler can still found a city west of Flying Pig for pigs and clams.

One issue to be addressed in the next round is a notable shortage of workers (5 cities, 3 workers is usually the wrong way round).

Hopefully we can pick up alphabet soonish and then pick up IW in trade (hopefully among other stuff). I hope we have iron somewhere as its not particlarly rare but it might affect settlement plans.

Top Bottom