role of cosmic rays in cloud formation confirmed (again), warmists in denial

innonimatu

the resident Cassandra
Yes, this is about "global warming", or "climate change" or whatever bullcrap is now being peddled by the climate modellers.

CERN experiment confirms cosmic ray action
Climate Change – News and Comments
The global warmists’ dam breaks

My interest in CLOUD goes back nearly 14 years, to a lecture I gave at CERN about Svensmark’s discovery of the link between cosmic rays and cloudiness. It piqued Kirkby’s curiosity, and both Svensmark and I were among those who helped him to prepare his proposal for CLOUD.

By an unpleasant irony, the only Svensmark contribution acknowledged in the Nature report is the 1997 paper (Svensmark and Friis-Christensen) on which I based my CERN lecture. There’s no mention of the successful experiments in ion chemistry and molecular cluster formation by the Danish team in Copenhagen, Boulby and latterly in Aarhus where they beat CLOUD to the first results obtained using a particle beam (instead of gamma rays and natural cosmic rays) to ionize the air in the experimental chamber – see http://calderup.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/accelerator-results-on-cloud-nucleation-2/

What will historians of science make of this breach of scientific etiquette? That Kirkby was cross because Svensmark, losing patience with the long delay in getting approval and funding for CLOUD, took matters into his own hands? Or because Svensmark’s candour about cosmic rays casting doubt on catastrophic man-made global warming frightened the national funding agencies? Or was Kirkby simply doing his best (despite the results) to obey his Director General by slighting all things Danish?

Personal rivalries aside, the important question is what the new CLOUD paper means for the Svensmark hypothesis. Pick your way through the cautious prose and you’ll find this:

“Ion-induced nucleation [cosmic ray action] will manifest itself as a steady production of new particles [molecular clusters] that is difficult to isolate in atmospheric observations because of other sources of variability but is nevertheless taking place and could be quite large when averaged globally over the troposphere [the lower atmosphere].”

The (AGW) warmists suffered a blow recently, as years of denial of Svensmark's hypothesis of cosmic rays being the main driver of cloud formation (which in turn influences surface temperatures more than C=O2 and could easily explain the alleged warming) have failed to prevent confirmation of one of the proposed mechanisms of his hypothesis by CERN's CLOUD project. They're still shamelessly trying to deny the importance of cosmic rays, of course, but the contradictions are becoming a little too obvious. One of their propaganda sites insists on 4 conditions for recognizing their abject failure. Looking at those:

1 … that increased nucleation gives rise to increased numbers of (much larger) cloud condensation nuclei (CCN)
2 … and that even in the presence of other CCN, ionisation changes can make a noticeable difference to total CCN
3 … and even if there were more CCN, you would need to show that this actually changed cloud properties significantly,
4 … and that given that change in cloud properties, you would need to show that it had a significant effect on radiative forcing.

#1 and #2 have been shown, and are fully supported by the results of this recent experiment (not to mention previous ones which, being small, were shunned). #3 is already taken as a fact in the warmist's models (the past "global dimming" favoured by atmospheric pollution), therefore it is deceitful for them to now question it when some work endangers their precious theories. And so is #4. Also, correlations between cloud cover and cosmic rays had already been observed and dismissed by the warmists, but now that's getting harder to do.

And from the press release by the group at CERN:

What is special about the CLOUD experiment? The CLOUD chamber has much lower concentrations of contaminants than all previous experiments, allowing us to measure the nucleation due to controlled amounts of selected trace gases without the complicating effect of undetected gases. CLOUD used state of the art instruments to measure very low concentrations of atmospheric vapours and, with a unique new instrument, has measured the chemistry and growth of newly formed charged molecular clusters from single molecules up to full particles. Another unique aspect is the capability to measure nucleation due to ionising natural cosmic rays, or due to enhanced ionisation provided by the CERN pion beam ‐ or with the effects of all
ionisation completely suppressed.

What has CLOUD discovered and why is it important for our understanding of climate? There are several important discoveries from CLOUD. Firstly, we have shown that the most likely nucleating vapours, sulphuric acid and ammonia, cannot account for nucleation that is observed in the lower atmosphere. The nucleation observed in the chamber occurs at only one‐tenth to one‐thousandth of the rate observed in the lower atmosphere. Based on the first results from CLOUD, it is clear that the treatment of aerosol formation in climate models will need to be substantially revised, since all models assume that nucleation is caused by these vapours and water alone. It is now urgent to identify the additional nucleating vapours, and whether their sources are mainly natural or from human activities.

Secondly, we have found that natural rates of atmospheric ionisation caused by cosmic rays can substantially enhance nucleation under the conditions we studied – by up to a factor of 10. Ion‐enhancement is particularly pronounced in the cool temperatures of the mid‐troposphere and above, where CLOUD has found that sulphuric acid and water vapour can nucleate without the need for additional vapours. This result leaves open the possibility that cosmic rays could also influence climate. However, it is premature to conclude that cosmic rays have a significant influence on climate until the additional nucleating vapours have been identified, their ion enhancement measured, and the ultimate effects on clouds have been confirmed.

Basically the final disclaimed means just that the experiment needs to be repeated with other atmospheric gases (and there are many, many substances to test) in order for the chemical mechanisms involved in cloud formation to be fully described: only two molecules were tested, and with those the effect of cosmic rays was confirmed. There is no reason to assume it won't be with many others, just a need to identify those. But the important bit is the second paragraph: "it is clear that the treatment of aerosol formation in climate models will need to be substantially revised, since all models assume that nucleation is caused by these vapours and water alone." Translation: the warmists' climate models which have been used for their scaremongering are, have always been, full of hot wind!

The credibility of your global warming skepticism is highly diminished when you argue a very speculative and not well understood alternative theory as being correct.

What exactly do "Warmists" get, how does climate change benefit their shadowy conspiracy?

The problem when you start with something completely wrong is that it's hard to go far from there.

as years of denial of Svensmark's hypothesis of cosmic rays being the main driver of cloud formation

Other than the extremely childish "the sun evaporates water" clearly the key controversial point here is not true.

What exactly do "Warmists" get, how does climate change benefit their shadowy conspiracy?

What exactly do "denialists" get, how does climate change benefit their shadowy conspiracy?

Sheep are going to be sheep. Someday AGW will fall out of favor, the mainstream view will change again, then the sheep will all follow. No use pointing out its flaws now, it seems. :rolleyes:

What exactly do "denialists" get, how does climate change benefit their shadowy conspiracy?

It benefits them in that they look like nonconformists who have some eccentric new idea as to why our planet may be going to crap rather rapidly and that their idea is 'unique' and thus better.

It pushes their Atheist/Communist/Pro-Abortion/Anti-Gun/Homosexual agenda in some mysterious way.

It pushes their Christian/Capitalist/Anti-Abortion/Pro-Gun/Homophobic agenda in some mysterious way.

I think it's pretty clear what both sides "get".

The "warmists", who are overwhelmingly climatologists and atmospheric scientists, are getting more attention and research funds than they could ever dream without the fears generated by AGW. A bunch of otherwise boring researchers are being flooded with money and requests to speak at conventions, with all expenses paid, throughout the globe.

The "denialists" can have direct economic incentive (like scientists working for the oil industry) or the the same kind of incentive as "warmists", like in the case of solar physicists (if the sun is a big cause of GW, solar phycisists will become more important and thus better funded).

Scientists are people, and in highly politically charged and highly profitable fields like GW it's nonsense to expect pure objectivity.

I really tried, but I couldn't quite grasp the significance of anything in the OP.

That people are contesting and rejecting a controversial theory shouldn't be unexpected much less evidence of some kind of warmist conspiracy.

This was probably the most disappointing innonimatu post I've read.

Disclaimer: I don't really get the point behind this new theory, nor did I try too hard to.

Even so, I was left under impression that if true, this theory means that yet another mechanism has been found that contribites to AGW.

So, this discovery does not mean that
1) AGW does not happen;
2) that man-made CO2 does not have the warming effect attributed to it.

So how exactly have "the warmists suffered a blow"?
:confused:

If anything, this shows we are more screwed than ever.

blah blah blah science is an evil conspiracy blah blah

Even so, I was left under impression that if true, this theory means that yet another mechanism has been found that contribites to AGW.

So, this discovery does not mean that
1) AGW does not happen;
2) that man-made CO2 does not have the warming effect attributed to it.

This is what I got out of it too. Except there is much discussion to be had still about the significance of this mechanism.

What I find funny is that the people the most eager to paint any skepticism towards the "scientific consensus" on AGW as an "attack on science" are precisely those with zero scientific background.

This is what I got out of it too. Except there is much discussion to be had still about the significance of this mechanism.

I thought that this had been discussed in previous global warming threads, so I didn't bother to expand on the OP. But to put thing very simply, this shows that cloud formation, recognized by all camps in these debates as possibly having a more important influence on climate than the changes in CO2 concentration (if it changes), does change depending on solar activity. By itself that wouldn't deny that CO2 is also causing some kind of warming, but shakes the faith that CO2 is the main driver of any recent climate change. Remember, models take reconstructed past changes in temperature, attribute it to CO2, and then use that as one of its inputs. If past changes in temperature were not caused by CO2, or solely by CO2, then the models are wrong. Not only are they future predictions off, their algorithms are wrong.

What I find funny is that the people the most eager to paint any skepticism towards the "scientific consensus" on AGW as an "attack on science" are precisely those with zero scientific background.

Do go on.

Even if climate change was a myth it doesn't make the rampant, reckless, negligent and utterly irresponsible mass pollution of the Earth any better.

True, but if we can prove that carbondioxide is less dangerous than previously thought, we can use the billions we were going to spend on co2 reduction and spend them on more useful stuff. Like saving the rainforest, stopping acid rain, clean up rivers and so on.

By itself that wouldn't deny that CO2 is also causing some kind of warming, but shakes the faith that CO2 is the main driver of any recent climate change.

I don't think anyone that confuses faith and science has any part in this conversation.

Top Bottom