Romance events for Falamar?

Ms. Smith

Chieftain
Falamar already gets diplomatic bonuses with women rulers he considers attractive. And when I read he was a thief who doesn't kill his victims, and considers himself a "dashing rogue", I thought "Robin Hood!" Or maybe Alladin. But then it doesn't say anything about giving to the poor or finding a magic lamp.

But anyway, I thought it might be interesting if he received random events where he could opt to attempt to win the favour of one of the woman rulers he considers attractive, with different actions he could take depending on the personality of the woman ruler. (For example, if he was courting Ethne the White, he might give money to the poor of some leader with one of the "Sacrifice the weak", "Fend for themselves" or "Aristrocracy" civics, or if courting Arendal Phaedra he might stop a foreign worker from chopping down trees.) After a chain of events in which he interacted with her, if things went well, they might marry (permanent alliance + permanent open borders). Or if not, e.g. if Faery Viconia wanted to kill someone and Falamar decided he didn't like her after all, the chain of events would end, with a diplomatic penalty, and there would be a chance he could start again with someone else.

It would be an interesting subplot, at least. I hope it's not too complicated to actually program.

There are already the notorious "pron" events. Unfortunately when they were first released they were rather unstable, affecting people they shouldn't.

There are already the notorious "pron" events.

These lead to some very odd homoerotic moments when 2 human players were playing together, one playing Falamar and one a female leader when they triggered.

Dude playing Capria: "What just happened?"

Dude playing Falamar: "Umm.. I think I just umm.. penetrated your borders..."

Dude playing Capria: "What?"

Dude playing Falamar: "Traded you a banana for a clam, visited the cave of ancestors, summoned the pit beast, grafted flesh..."

Dude playing Capria: "We must never speak of this again."

Dude playign Falamar: "Took my bone golem to Jubilee."

Dude playing Capria: "Stop it!!!"

Oh yes, I remember there was a thread about just that happening. Was a funny read :p

Fenboy said:
There are already the notorious "pron" events.
These lead to some very odd homoerotic moments when 2 human players were playing together, one playing Falamar and one a female leader when they triggered.

A one night stand isn't really romance, though. It's just sex. And you may as well have a chance for a "love child" event which can come the turn after that. (Unless Falamar is sterile?) Also, if you have an event which asks the woman leader if she wants to invite Falamar over, that would solve the problem with two men playing together. There could be three options: invite him and sleep with him, invite him but don't sleep with him, or don't invite him at all. Besides, many women don't believe in sex before marriage, and the latter two options would be appropriate for such women.

But I think it would be quite interesting if Falamar started doing things he wouldn't otherwise do in order to win the heart of one of the women leaders. Most likely one of the female leaders who doesn't believe in sex before marriage - presumably the ones from the more civilized nations - since men often try harder to win the hearts of women who are least easily won.

Actually having an event that could cause a marriage/Permanent Alliance could be cool, but Falamar doesn't really seem like the marrying type.

Dude playing Falamar: "I Took my bone golem to Jubilee."

Thanks for the new Sig!

Actually having an event that could cause a marriage/Permanent Alliance could be cool, but Falamar doesn't really seem like the marrying type.

Many men who don't seem like the marrying type actually do end up marrying.

Two things, though:
* He would be very unlikely to marry anyone who would be willing to sleep with him before marriage. Why enter into a restrictive relationship if he can sleep with her without it?
* He would need to be attracted to the woman emotionally and intellectually, not just physically. Since he doesn't like killing people, Ethne seems a likely choice. Arendal Phaedra might be possible.

I'm not even sure it's technically possible within the limits of what can be modded, though. There would have to be a string of events, spread out over multiple turns, leading to increasingly positive feelings (or diplomatic bonuses) between the two leaders before the possibility of marriage ever entered the picture. Would it be possible to control the likelihood of events happening based on the diplomatic bonuses? How would this be calculated for a human player?

I like the Lovechild idea actually. It would be a fun easteregg, especially if it gave you an adventurer unit for your trouble.

I like the Lovechild idea actually. It would be a fun easteregg, especially if it gave you an adventurer unit for your trouble.

...or a new naval unit perhaps?...maybe with HN, so it can be a Pirate just like his(/her) old man.

It could be sparked by an event where a female leader has Good relations with Falamar over 30 turns?

If the unit loses HN or is defeated in combat perhaps it could spark a bit of a scandal event within the Civ itself as it comes to light that the leader had a lovechild. Furthermore it could cause Falamar to gain a negative with other female leaders as it becomes apparent they were not the centre of his attentions, and perhaps a positive with some the male leaders impressed with Falamar being a smooth operator with the ladies...

Should perhaps throw in a soundbite of Sade singing "Smooth Operator" to boot...

Many men who don't seem like the marrying type actually do end up marrying.

Two things, though:
* He would be very unlikely to marry anyone who would be willing to sleep with him before marriage. Why enter into a restrictive relationship if he can sleep with her without it?

I'd say millions of men that have sex with women before marriage also marry them. Why is Falamar an exception?

And, marriage is the number one reason/symbol for alliances between countries throughout our known history. It be rather nice to see some of that happening as events.

I think Ms. Smith said that because if Falamar can fornicate her before marriage he wont marry her because he can fornicate with her anyway

Yes. Basium and Hyborem make a cute couple.

EDIT: But I'm not sure if marriage is a reason for an alliance. As far as I know historically it was the other way around. But I agree it makes a good symbol for one. Then again, in Erebus/or parts of Erebus the woman might decide whom she will marry, not her father or some other guardian.

(I am wrong, am I not?)

at the rate this suggestion is going, we may as well just throw a royal family tree mechanic into the game like they have in the total war games. Marrying off members of the family for political alliance and so on. While all this sounds nice, it's too much. (sorry to burst the bubble)

at the rate this suggestion is going, we may as well just throw a royal family tree mechanic into the game like they have in the total war games. Marrying off members of the family for political alliance and so on. While all this sounds nice, it's too much. (sorry to burst the bubble)

I'd prefer the Crusader Kings way. :lol:

never played it

I'm not even sure it's technically possible within the limits of what can be modded, though. There would have to be a string of events, spread out over multiple turns, leading to increasingly positive feelings (or diplomatic bonuses) between the two leaders before the possibility of marriage ever entered the picture. Would it be possible to control the likelihood of events happening based on the diplomatic bonuses? How would this be calculated for a human player?
Sounds like you're proposing a feature more suited to the Sims than Civ. :p

Seriously - although the idea of romances and marriages sound nice, I don't know if they'd fit into a Civ mod, at least not quite in the form proposed above. The odd minor event would be cool (with the possible reward/penalty of diplomatic points with multiple different civs depending on options chosen), but I think permanent alliances through "marriage" events would be a bit game-breaking. At the very least, the alliances shouldn't be hardcoded as permanent - they should need to be maintained, and have the potential to go sour. (Not all marriages last forever!) ;)

Sorry for the bump.

Top Bottom