Rome First Look (Trajan) Video

I do think the civ is overall quite strong while the civs unique ability looks to be bit underwhelming.

I do not see what is so underwhelming with getting instant road and tradepost. For building a large empire early that is an extremely good bonus as you get both great defence and quick moving settlers and add in rome free building and it is even better.

Legionary advantage over the swordman is mainly strategic instead of tactical. You can build roads to help your military units move between different locations which may make it much easier conquering other civs and you can build forts which can instantly stop an enemy advance.

Why is it "Most of the time will be Monument"? I wonder what would be the odd cases.

I'm guessing there could be a few different possible reasons:

1) If you do a game start later than Ancient (and perhaps Classical), then your cities might start with a monument.

2) Monuments become obsolete at some point.

3) The posted description (I've not watched the video yet) does not indicate whether this takes effect on only founded cities, or conquered cities, as well. If the latter, and the monument is not destroyed, then it'd likely make a different building.

I do not see what is so underwhelming with getting instant road and tradepost. For building a large empire early that is an extremely good bonus as you get both great defence and quick moving settlers and add in rome free building and it is even better.

It is usefull in combination with the other civ traits. But underwhelming compared to other civs. Greeks free wildcard etc. Just comparing the civs trait.

"Legionary advantage over the swordman is mainly strategic instead of tactical. You can build roads to help your military units move between different locations which may make it much easier conquering other civs and you can build forts which can instantly stop an enemy advance. "

This is a UU not unique civ ability

Am I the only one a bit disappointed by Rome?

I mean, very easy road building is cool feature but other uniques are neither 'epic' nor very interesting or very strong.

This Roman Empire gets no bonus to military, and is based on "free stuff appearing automatically" - free road, free outpost, free city building. Doesn't sound that engaging or exciting to me, those are quite passive bonuses. It is probably decently useful but "free building usually monument" isn't on the same level as China "with little effort you get 10% cheaper technologies".

So far America, Greece and Rome are at the bottom of my list regarding gameplay uniqueness (what doesn't help is the fact I am bored by all those cultures and not particularly excited to roleplay Roman empire for 1000th time, so they are at the bottom of general interest as well).

This Roman Empire gets no bonus to military
Rome free road is a military bonus in my opinion because the point of roads is getting units from point A to point B. Rome can thus use its military more effectively then other civs because it will be much easier for Rome to move its units to there the action is.

I mean, very easy road building is cool feature but other uniques are neither 'epic' nor very interesting or very strong.

This Roman Empire gets no bonus to military, and is based on "free stuff appearing automatically" - free road, free outpost, free city building. Doesn't sound that engaging or exciting to me, those are quite passive bonuses. It is probably decently useful but "free building usually monument" isn't on the same level as China "with little effort you get 10% cheaper technologies".

So far America, Greece and Rome are at the bottom of my list regarding gameplay uniqueness (what doesn't help is the fact I am bored by all those cultures and not particularly excited to roleplay Roman empire for 1000th time, so they are at the bottom of general interest as well).

I think Rome joins Greece in the civs designed to be very accessible for new players. Still, i think i'll have fun playing them anyway

And considering that now improvements are built instantly, i wouldnt underestimate the ability to instantly build a solid defense or siege point with only 3 legions. This on top of the +5 combat modifier is huge imo

3) The posted description (I've not watched the video yet) does not indicate whether this takes effect on only founded cities, or conquered cities, as well. If the latter, and the monument is not destroyed, then it'd likely make a different building.
The video says "all cities start with one free building in the city center". I'd interpret that as applying to only founded cities. A conquered city doesn't "start" at all.

Overall Rome looks like Civ VI easy mode.

When i jumped to a higher difficulty in civ 5. I Always picked liberty. Free stuff is Always powerfull, especcially because i knew i could handle the AI in battle anyway. When i picked liberty i always felt 40-50 turns ahead in marathon speed compared to honor or faith culture trees. Free stuff makes for a long lasting boost of your civilization most of the time. As there is not enough time to build everything anyway in a wide empire.

Rome free road is a military bonus in my opinion because the point of roads is getting units from point A to point B. Rome can thus use its military more effectively then other civs because it will be much easier for Rome to move its units to there the action is.

I specifically said 'no military bonus' instead of 'no conquest bonus' to note the distinction between that and actual 'pure' warfare bonus ;)
You could as well say bonus gold is military bonus because it allows on maintaining more units.

When i jumped to a higher difficulty in civ 5. I Always picked liberty. Free stuff is Always powerfull, especcially because i knew i could handle the AI in battle anyway. When i picked liberty i always felt 40-50 turns ahead in marathon speed compared to honor or faith culture trees. Free stuff makes for a long lasting boost of your civilization most of the time. As there is not enough time to build everything anyway in a wide empire.

That's why I said it is 'decently useful' - yeah those are probably mechanically useful bonuses - but they aren't really engaging, interactive or fun when compared to crazy unique stuff like Kongolese religion, Brazilian special projects, French espionage or Norwegian navy.
Those things require interaction and change the way game mechanics work - Roman bonuses are generally "you get free automatic stuff". Kinda boring.

I think the bonuses are very thematically appropriate...Romans were builders, so it fits IMO. The passive bonuses provide very interesting active effects though. Free Monument = lots of culture, which gives you options. Free roads = mobility, a very important military advantage.

The Legion is actually far more interesting than a straight strength buff (the most boring thing you could do with a UU). Legions have much more tactical usefulness and are much more flexible.

Very similar in playstyle to Carthage in Civ5 it looks like, except land based rather than sea.

I've been avoiding any of the criticism of character representation so far, find most complaints about prior leaders petty and really quite insignificant...

Trajan though...

Doesn't he have a 20 hour manuscript written to honour how manly he was? Wasn't he a career warrior? Why is he so scrawny? From the statues he seemed like a pretty buff dude...

If legions can only use engineering abilities limited times and it's one hex per road, it could take quite a few legions to build a longish road.

I wonder if legionary needs iron or not as it seems like many unique units are resourceless?

Very interesting. Any clue as to what "within range" might mean?

If Rome could send a trade route to that city it would be in range and get the road and the trade post. And because tradepost increase trade route range rome can build a line of cities which will all get the road and the trade post.

It's great to see a Civ that gets great bonuses from playing wide. Anything that would have been utterly impossible due to Civ V's "Global Happiness" mechanic is awesome to see.

No more getting harshly punished due to finding 4 cities in the Classical Era. Heck I hope you can build 4 cities in the Ancient Era in Civ VI without big penalties.

If legions can only use engineering abilities limited times and it's one hex per road, it could take quite a few legions to build a longish road.

That's where the free road to new cities within trade range comes in. :D

I think players will use legions to build forts more than roads.

Top Bottom