1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

ROTQM13: Rolling Over The Quintet's Magic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Ozbenno, Mar 17, 2022.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Sorry. Here it is.

Attached Files:

2. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Hi mum, it's me Warrior.

Just thought I'd update you on my current mission, protecting a farmer making a cottage. I've got no idea why Capria is so obsessed with farming but it is apparently high priority. That's
    not to say it is boring work as the bears certainly keep you on your toes. But it is so cold all the time.

The only thing of interest to happen lately is the new spyhawk that has been procured! How cool! They've uncovered some interesting territory to the south west. We might not be as isolated from the vile magic users as we thought.

And more bears, did I mention the bears? There are so many attacks we had to build a new graveyard.

In order to combat the bear problem a new type of soldier has been deployed.

So far so good. They have even found a way to capture the bears and use them to entertain the very people they were trying to kill.

Anyway, hope you are well and see you when my tour ends, if the bears don't eat me first.

Attached Files:

3. Ozbenno

Philosophy is in and Way Of The Wise due in 8 turns.

There is a landbridge to the south west, so might need to think about how we defend that way.

Our hunter is a bear killing machine and should have one for every city soon.

Ozbenno >> just played
    King Bulrush >> UP NOW
    pholkhero >> On Deck
    Tinadafish
    PPQ Purple

4. PPQ_Purple

As far as defenses go the mountain range to the south is a natural barrier with only 2 ways through it and I deployed troops there. The only other entrance is to the south east where the city will be. And, especially if we go with my revised city placement proposal for that one we can fortify that pass as well making for a very good defensive line. And we can always just connect the copper up with a guarded fort for now.

5. Tinadafish

Tinadafish Chieftain

I have to say we've built a wonderful little agrarian kingdom, can't wait to militarise it and throw all our soldiers' lives away advancing directly into siege magic's line of fire

6. PPQ_Purple

They might have magic but we have elan! And with it our troops will advance undeterred until all are ground to dust for the glory of Junil. For what power on this world or the next can stand before courage and the raw spirit of the offensive?

7. King Bulrush

King Bulrush Chieftain

Got the save. Will play tomorrow.

Edit: started playing.
    Not much is happening. I am continuing to slowly improve our land. Our economy is still operating at a loss so I decide to "nationalize" the offerings from the graveyard of Vallus (It's all for the glory of Junil, of course:
    upload_2022-5-1_0-1-11.png
    (Also shown: our first bear, who is soon going to demonstrate his dancing skills to the people of our capital - which will be able to grow one more pop point thanks to the extra happyness.
    Our hunters will soon go out to get some more.

In the next turns we repell some more orcish raiders on our southern frontiers.

On turn 239 I found the city of Astrum on our eastern coast. (on the nr. 2 spot). I also decide to pull back some of our garrison troops inside our cultural borders so save some money from the upkeep cost.
    Speaking of cities. I agree to move nr. 3 to the newly suggested position. (By the way, how do you write the small notes on the map? I assume it is also part of the strategy layer, but I don't know how to activate this option)

I also do some more recon flights to our east, out of Astrum, and we discover a barbarian city:
    upload_2022-5-1_0-25-15.png
    I built a second hunter and sent it to the south. I propose sending him now to the east (with attached Hawk) to explore the barbarian lands. There is less risk of running into an AI civ in that direction, if the barbarians are building cities there.
    I also captured a few more bears with the northern hunter. Now we have one for each city so we can stop the hunts and let the bear population recover. We could teoretically use bears in the army too, but we can't afford the upkeep costs at the moment.

On my final turn we pop priesthood from a goody hut to the south! We are researching orders from heaven now, but after that we now have a shorter route to researching and building the Mercurian gate.
    We should also start to think about where to build it. It should be a city with good production, but not to close to our core either. I suggest city spot nr. 5 (which has access to copper), but moved one tile to the southeast to get the cow and the oasis from the start (for extra food and faster growth).

Speaking of wonders, I started to build the bone palace in the capital. I don't think we will actually get the wonder but there is nothing more urgent to build and it should be a good way to turn production into money (when it gets cancelled).

Edited again to add the save. It looks like accidentally played 17 turns (instead of the customary 15). But they were overall quite uneventfull

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

said the French, August, 1914.

I've got this; hopefully, i'll be able to keep up the entertaining level of report, dancing girl- and boy-bears and all.

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

alt-s, i always forget, too, i have to google it

10. Ozbenno

Popping Priesthood is an awesome result.

At some stage, we'll need to swap civics from God King to City States, which will save on costs but while we can stay afloat at 60% plus, we can afford to stay in it I think.

11. PPQ_Purple

Who's turn is it now?

12. Tinadafish

Tinadafish Chieftain

pholkhero, then me, then you

13. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

You couldn't live with your failure, which lead you back to . . .

pushing enter . . .

try as i might to find enemies to Always War upon, i couldn't.

t251: We're kinda Cultured

t253: trinity: harbor>work boat to explore coast more > settler

t254: Great Lighthouse BIFAL.

And i sent our hawk south:
    Spoiler big pic :

And thought maybe we could put a city here:

t255: Dancing Bear @tant.

Bear Hunter is kept to the north just in case. good thing as we were soon attacked my some barbs up there.

t258: DBear @ Astor

I wanted to road up to the garrison signs, though I moved our units forward to see if we could lure some free XP up to us.

t259: but we got sick:

t260: Tant: CHouse > Settler

Here's maps:
    Spoiler the discovered south and a dot map :

I also thought I had started earlier than I did, so i think i stopped a bit early, but we're back to a round number again. I also wasn't sure about the thoughts on 2 more settlers, and we'd only talked about the copper site lately.

also, i'm wondering if we can or should get a force together to take out the barb cities? our land seems like it can be a wall to stand against magic in the world if we can stop passage from one wayh to the other.

Attached Files:

14. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Ozbenno
    King Bulrush
    pholkhero >> just played
    Tinadafish >> UP NOW
    PPQ Purple >> On Deck

15. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i also missed Oz's post on commerce; we're at 50%, but i was stockpiling gold for 0/100 teching.

16. PPQ_Purple

Why would you be doing that instead of just slowly going at what ever tech value is sustainable? Stockpiling and than spending honestly sounds like a waste of turns to me.

As for the barbarian cities I think some of them like the one next to wheat and fish might be worth capturing whole as opposed to razing.

17. Tinadafish

Tinadafish Chieftain

Got the save, looks like my reign will see the re-establishment of contact with Junil!
    With regards to binary research/wealth, it's pretty objectively the better way to manage commerce because you fully utilise the difference in beaker and gold modifiers but it's not exactly very roleplay friendly (though manically flipping from 100% to 0% taxation could be said to fit a succession game)

18. PPQ_Purple

Honestly it just sounds like a good way to get overtaken to a critical tech because you flipped back to 100% one turn too late.

19. Tinadafish

Tinadafish Chieftain

This last reign of Fish-Capria was a most auspicious one!

But not everything that is great and golden starts so, and this reign was no different. The continuation of the war with orc kind since time immemorial seeing Orcs and their allies in the goblins and lizardmen dead and scattered at our empire's borders, whilst our southernmost hunter and his well trained raven (definitely no magic involved) discovered the first glimpse of a possibly much greater threat. lets not go this way.png Being that he was just a simple huntsman, and besides to explore and find out further would involve crossing a most treacherous mountain pass, it was decided to doubleback and fight the goblins living in the ruins of a great dungeon to the north instead.

That was not the only exciting thing that was found to the south though, the raven also reported to his master the sight of a gargantuan and monstrous statue carved into the rock, though that is all we know for now.
    guardians.png But these potentially ill tidings of the south were not what made this reign great, nay golden, no, that was the long awaited re-establishment of contact with our Saviour Junil himself! A miracle so profound and wonderous it coincided with the construction of a great and vast palace in the capital many leagues away as the priests and sages completed their ritual in Vallus. praise junil.png Besides this most wonderful event we also heard news of 3 particularly dim-witted giants being born somewhere or other and we set our sages to work on figuring out how to put all our exploration and natural knowledge to paper, and so ended the brief but vital reign of the 4th (or 5th I genuinely lost count twice) Fish-Capria but I rest easy in the knowledge the next reign can only be wreathed in Junil's golden justice and prosperity!

Attached Files:

20. King Bulrush

King Bulrush Chieftain

Great news! It looks like we are going from strength to strength.
    Since we founded the Order, I would suggest starting to build Valin Phanuel (the order hero) right away. Once he is in play we can start to explore dungeons (as a hero is usually good enough to kill any monsters that may pop out).
    Also, since we are in a golden age, we may use the opportunity to expand a bit and found new cities. (I must once again reiterate my suggestion to found city nr. 5 (by the copper) one tile to the southeast to get the fresh water from the oasis, and to be able to work the cow from the start for faster growth - we can use a dancing bear to expand the borders and grab the copper later).
    As for the barbarian cities, I agree to conquer them, but a bit later. Let's not overexpand for now as I don't think we can afford to pay maintenance for distant colonies. Those barbarians aren't going anywhere.