1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

ROTQM13: Rolling Over The Quintet's Magic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Ozbenno, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

And so it starts......

I'll probably play tomorrow.

Ozbenno >> UP NOW
    King Bulrush >> On Deck
    pholkhero
    Tinadafish
    PPQ Purple >> just played

2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Either way I think that it'd be a good idea to go for Deluoc ASAP. Like have an army of axemen and priests go there and take it. And than go south and found B-01 and Prod City. Maybe even B-02 if Ultigar hasn't grown too big and defended by then. We can't neglect our southern flank right now lest we end up wedged between two fires once a clown faced scout shows up.

3. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i know we spoke about that and i posted my old dot maps after that so apologies if i contributed to teh confusion a bit

an army is definitely necessary if we want to go on offense. in the time it may take us to normal build a 6 or 7 stack army, they may have something ready to come up to us. iirc, the AI plays as normal until it meets you so depending on how the world has unfolded w/o our knowledge, there may or may not be stacks ready to go if they're have been previous wars. [edit: though, just judging by his score, it doesn't seem runaway at all.]

also, i may be good to settle the tagged "prod city" 1 NE and chop the woods or even onto the northern forest tile 2 NE and clear the woods all around so the AI has to go through that city to get to our peninsula if they come up that way.

4. PPQ_Purple

I am not a fan of chopping personally. It just means a loss of too much production in my view. But that's just me.

King Bulrush likes this.
  5. PPQ_Purple

By the way, what are the map settings for this game? Size, type etc.

6. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

yeah, for sure; unless it's the early game, i definitely agree. just wanted to chop these in particular so the AI wouldn't have a forest to set up in if we settle a city 1 NE from that "prod sign;" our city could be a fortress in teh middle of the plains, and we would still ahve access to hills for production.

7. Ozbenno

Question was asked about settings, here they are.

Playing now...

8. Ozbenno

Things of note in the Amurite kingdom.

Copper

I withdraw the fog busters to upgrade.

We researched Sailing and research was set to Trade afterwards. Not sure I see any benefit here, so changed to Calendar --> Festivals for markets.

There was an Acolyte sleeping so I used him to spread Order to every city (we get free Acolytes on spreading Order)

Unfortunately I didn't notice we were building one as well, so we now have two back asleep.

First casualty of war was that Amurite scout.

All cities also have dancing bears now as well.

Perpentach has found us, I'm not sure how. Couldn't see any of his units

And that was that for 10 turns.

Decisions to be made.

The economy - Can we afford to stay in God King much longer? We have a small surplus at 50%. Festivals is a turn away, maybe quickly build some markets and see if we can get to 60% or higher.
    Expansion - sort of linked above, can we afford to? Grabbing a couple of those nicely positioned barb cities is tempting. We have a decentish army but need some more proests and axes I think.
    Research - As above, Festivals is in one turn. I think some Military techs would be good. We don't have horses unfortunately, so maybe Archery (defensive) or Warfare (offensive).

Attached Files:

9. Ozbenno

And a roster

Ozbenno >> just played
    King Bulrush >> UP NOW
    pholkhero >> On Deck
    Tinadafish
    PPQ Purple

10. PPQ_Purple

We talked about that sleeping acolyte. It was an event spawn with potency and I wanted him saved for future upgrade.

11. King Bulrush

King Bulrush Chieftain

Got it, but I am not sure how soon I will have time to play. I might not have time until friday (EDIT: playing now. I will writhe the AAR shortly).

Otherwise please leave your comments & suggestions regarding strategy for the next turn. Are there any major decisions coming up? (new cities to be settled, etc...?)
    Regarding tech my only comment so far is that we should get Archer ASAP as we might soon come under attack and we need city defenders.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  12. PPQ_Purple

As far as cities go I still say go for B01 and B02 if we can. Those two cities are in ideal spots to block off our southern border and make us 100% safe vs the clowns assuming we can put an army down there. And than we can focus on the amurites.

Problem is that right now we have to build 2 armies (one for east and one for north) and found 2 more cities. And I have no idea what to prioritize.

13. Ozbenno

He's back sleeping right where I found him after spreading Order to all our cities and even has a friend now ;)

14. PPQ_Purple

Oh, good. In that case someone give him a name or something to make sure he does not get used.

15. Tinadafish

Tinadafish Chieftain

I vote we call him Junil-Fearer, I think we won't need 2 armies if we use the first one we make to destroy the balseraphs before they pester us with loki

16. King Bulrush

King Bulrush Chieftain

Ok, so I started playing. First big decision is this one:
    upload_2022-5-13_22-56-6.png
    I decided to take the option to trade population for reserch. The city was going to grow by one point on the next turn anyway, and I hope we can make up the rest of the loss quickly. And we really need to build up our defenses.
    Now thanks to this breakthrough, our soldiers will learn how to kill those pesky magic users from a safe distance.

I also decide to explore a lair with rather unlucky results:
    upload_2022-5-13_23-2-22.png

Lesson learned. I will use a hunter next time.

A few turns later we get a great sage , which I settle in our capital (where we already have the academy) for extra research points. If you are thinking about bulbing, he would have bulbed knowledge of the ether, which we don't want.

It appears we are doing a good job on the cultural scene too:
    upload_2022-5-13_23-18-10.png
    I guess all those dancing bears are earning their keep.

Sorry for the short post, but I have had very little time this week. I did however achieve something else: on my last turn I stormed Deluoc, which is now part of our empire, as we discussed. The only casuality on our side was our posessed skeleton.
    I leave to the next player the task of developping the city (btw, there is a bear up north ready to work on the cultural expansion).

Attached Files:

17. Ozbenno

Nice one. We should see if we can manage the next GP to be a Prophet, would be more helpful than another Scientist. Good to see all those dancing bears coming in useful as well. We have 2 acolytes sleeping. Rename one as discussed above and use the other to spread into Deluoc.

Ozbenno
    King Bulrush >> just played
    pholkhero >> UP NOW
    Tinadafish >> On Deck
    PPQ Purple

18. lfgr

lfgr Emperor

For the record, lair exploration is only affected by the explorer's level, and even that effect is fairly minor.

19. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Got it. I'll see about the GProphet, and perhaps a bit more army for defense in my set.
    Rename to Junil-Fearer, then?

20. PPQ_Purple

Honestly I think we should do something more cooler. No idea what but like... something cool.