Rounding Out the Nordic Civilizations

(After reading the OP): How would you want to see Denmark represented?

• Medieval/Viking era, King Canute, etc.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Industrial/Early Modern era, Christian IX, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

TyrannusRex

Warlord
So, excuse the title for being a little vague, but I'm sorta working on an idea and wanted some opinions from other Civ fans.

I've noticed that the majority of ideas (or existing mods) for a Danish civ in Civ VI tend to focus on an Industrial Era Denmark sometime during the 1800s (I believe), whereas when I think of Denmark, my mind goes to the Viking Age, Canute, and the Raiders/Traders scenario. But then, I kind of realized why some other people might lean industrial: Harald's Norway already represents the stereotypical Viking Age sailors and plunderers, and Kristina's Sweden represents the Rennaissance Era, post-Nordic culture, when the kingdoms of Scandinavia were coming into their own. I suppose I can kind of see why someone would want a third option (Denmark) to essentially represent the modern nation-states and complete the rich saga of their history.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on Danish history either way, but I'd like to hear some thoughts before I proceed with very in-depth research.

How about Medieval, non-Viking, Denmark under Margaret? :mischief:

I've noticed that the majority of ideas (or existing mods) for a Danish civ in Civ VI tend to focus on an Industrial Era Denmark sometime during the 1800s (I believe)
I can't say I've ever seen anyone suggest an Industrial Denmark here. :confused:

How about Medieval, non-Viking, Denmark under Margaret? :mischief:
This, but I don't see it happening. We don't need three Scandinavian civs, Early Modern Sweden is difficult to pass over, and people want their Viking civ, whether it be Norway or Denmark. That being said, I'm personally a little bored with Vikings so I would welcome a Margaret-led Denmark that's chiefly about trade but also has a few small allusions to its Viking past--a softened Viking civ, if you will.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone suggest an Industrial Denmark here. :confused:
There is a Civ 6 mod with Christian IX as an Industrial Era leader for Denmark. Other than that I haven't seen anyone ask for one either.

This, but I don't see it happening. We don't need three Scandinavian civs, Early Modern Sweden is difficult to pass over, and people want their Viking civ, whether it be Norway or Denmark. That being said, I'm personally a little bored with Vikings so I would welcome a Margaret-led Denmark that's chiefly about trade but also has a few small allusions to its Viking past--a softened Viking civ, if you will.
I mean the Vikings also had an extensive trade network too, so it still fits Denmark at least having like a Knarr UU.

I mean the Vikings also had an extensive trade network too, so it still fits Denmark at least having like a Knarr UU.
This is what I was thinking, as well. We mostly remember the Norse for the Vikings, but they also maintained extensive trade routes.

There is a Civ 6 mod with Christian IX as an Industrial Era leader for Denmark. Other than that I haven't seen anyone ask for one either.

When I combed the "Suggest your Own Civ" thread here, the only two instances of Denmark I found were both under Christian IX, I believe.
I myself kind of wanted to give them the Huscarl UU, to make them stand out at least slightly from Norway.

Top Bottom