1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Saibotlieh's Units Graphic Collection

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by SaibotLieh, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Wow nice work. :)

May eventually add this to my mod as a myth unit.

2. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Thanks and sure you are welcome to us the unit in your mod. :)

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Deadly but lovely.

4. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

5. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

Great work Sai! I have been taking a good look at your collection of converted units from AO and other games. I noticed (or maybe overlooked) that you only seem to do Civ IV units. Would you have a problem with me converting some of your Civ IV units into CiV? It would save me the trouble of doing full conversions from AO (and others) to CiV. Just asking in advance....

6. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Thank you. :) Yes, I have only done Civ IV units so far. Never got into CiV and therefore also did not create any units for it.

Surely I have no problems with you (or anybody) converting the units to CiV, quite the contrary in fact. I would just advise to give credits to the original sources as well if the units are uploaded to the database.

If you have problems with any of the units just drop me a line and I will see what I can do. Also, if you have an idea for a unit that is missing within my set, tell me so as well. Maybe I get interested in creating a Civ IV unit, which you can convert then. No promises though. ;)

7. Nomad or What

Awesome, thanks! Female units in particular are sorely lacking in CiV, so I will likely start with those. I prefer the higher polycount units that you converted from AO and other sources since CiV can handle them fine enough. Of course I will also give proper credit to the source artists as well as yourself for doing the original conversions. Keep up the great work!

8. Sword_Of_Geddon

The birdman you converted looked real nice Nomad. Any chance its possible to convert the civ5 conversion of that unit into a civ4 unit? Thought I'd ask.

9. Nomad or What

I don't know how to do Civ IV conversions but I imagine that since the source files are .nif, .kf, and .dds that it would be a piece of cake to someone that does. The unit is from Atlantica Online which is a free Steam MMORPG download (or at least free long enough to get the source files you need, anyway).

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

Yeah Civ4 uses the same formats, as does Pirates I believe.

11. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

I did some direct convertions from AO to Civ4, but the models are rather high in polycount and the animation sets do not work directly with the timing of the Civ4 animations. This can be fixed, but takes some work.

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

Its cool I just thought the bird-man might be useful for Civ4 fantasy mods or exotic mods. I forget that Civ4 is an older game now Oo.

13. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

It is not a problem of the age, it is just that, for example, the hurt animation in AO directly starts with a reaction of the unit to a blow. In Civ4, the reaction starts at 0.3 seconds into the animation. Therefore, if the animation is used as it is, the unit will react to the hit before the attacker actually hits the unit.

Another problem is that most of the AO animations are longer than the Civ4 ones. An attack animation might last for 2 or 3 seconds in AO as far as I remember, while the Civ4 attack animation is always 0.7 seconds.

As I said, this all can be adjusted and fixed, just takes some work which somebody has to do. ;)

14. Sword_Of_Geddon

15. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

See if you like this flying ship, it uses the trireme animations. I am too happy how the propeller look like, but making them rotate like the helicopter ones would mean quite some more work.

Anyhow, enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

16. Sword_Of_Geddon

Wow thankyou Saibo. You really should put these creations of yours in the first page of this thread so more can see and enjoy them....;)

17. LunarMongoose

LunarMongoose King

So my friend recently expressed a high level of interest in the airplane models in the relatively-new "Sid Meier's Ace Patrol" game, so I guess I'm officially making a request for those. :) No big deal if you don't have time though! *hugs*

Also: LOL at that airship picture, Geddon. The arms holding the propellers look INCREDIBLY thin and flimsy compared to the mass of the body, rofl...

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

It doesn't have to be realistic, its fantasy my good sir. :hatsoff:

19. LunarMongoose

LunarMongoose King

I know! It's just such an EXTREME example of unrealism that it caught me off-guard. ;)

And hey, I was a HUGE fan, the HUGEST, of the airships in Final Fantasy IV when I was, like, 12 years old. So I'm not knocking fantasy airships AT ALL. :D

20. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

No problem. I will think about posting them on the first page, just too lazy to take the screenshots at the moment. :mischief:
    Don't own that game, so no dice I am afraid. But there are lots of WW1 units in the download section, I guess something similar should be findable. ;)
    Thought similar while creating the unit, but then again it is an unrealistic concept in the first place, so I guess it is somewhat fitting. :)