Saturday's PAX talk

That will only become clear when we can again watch the video :(.

Well...over for today. Way to short :(.

Which is ironic as Lena couldn't be on yesterday because... she was too busy with demos.

"Live" just does not always work like intended *shrugs*.

DLL and code release should make it possible to improve the AI a lot.

A community project could probably do wonders on that part of the game if the "Better AI" mod on vanilla Civ 4 is any indication.

Hey guys the thing I said about the dll was not about releasing the source code. It had to do with a technical change that allows Civ V to dynamically load dlls on the fly. This will be good good for DLC (you can disable any DLC you do not want) and someday modders as well!

I could have some of this slightly wrong; Dennis communicated it to me verbally here and it is loud! I'll find out exact details when pax is over :) - please do not take it as gospel yet!

Also, I'll see about the possibility of doing another civ interview to make up for the technical difficulties. It's unlikely though because everyone tends to be very booked up with press at PAX!

Also, I'll see about the possibility of doing another civ interview to make up for the technical difficulties. It's unlikely though because everyone tends to be very booked up with press at PAX!
We understand, but thanks for trying! :)
It would be awesome to have another interview, though ;)

and comfirmed can move over mountains

Carthage generally, or as an ability of the elephants specifically? Okay, people are going to expect Carthage to be able to move elephants over mountains, but in the real world they were hardly the first or only people capable of mountain crossings, and it would just seem bizarre if only one civ had the ability to move unrestricted over mountains.

I still favour a system whereby only workers can move into mountains, but can build roads there with the appropriate tech. A mountain with a road through it can be moved through by other units.

"great war era" is not called that way

No surprise there. If it is a new era, it would probably be the Post-Industrial Era.

That would be great Greg, especially if there's any new info, or info from people visiting PAX that can be confirmed, such as Ethiopia being in the game. Espionage might be new to Civ V, but we've carefully placed our spies in the PAX auditorium.

...it would just seem bizarre if only one civ had the ability to move unrestricted over mountains.
Not quite like real life, but it's a game with unique abilities. Only Polynesia can move over oceans from the start, only Iroquois units can move through forests quickly when they're in their own territory (when they're outside their own territory they lose their knack immediately, aint that weird :)), so the game is full of these examples of the bizarre.

A bit of a crosspost from another topic, but interesting to put in this thread (otherwise it'd be so empty here :p ).

A guy at the somethingawful forums was there.
This was his post:
Carthage's traits: free harbor in every coastal city. Units can cross mountains after the first great general is produced, but lose 50 hp if they end their turn on a mountain tile.

One of the Hun traits is "uses city names from other in-game civs"

Ethiopia is in, with Haile Selasse as leader. Very defensive-oriented; one of their traits is a 20% combat bonus against larger civilizations and their special unit (industrial era?) gets a bonus the closer they are to the capital

Very cool I have to say. Not surprising Haile Selassie. Zara Yaqob was a waaay outside choice in Civ 4 compared to who we were expecting then.

Hey guys the thing I said about the dll was not about releasing the source code. It had to do with a technical change that allows Civ V to dynamically load dlls on the fly. This will be good good for DLC (you can disable any DLC you do not want) and someday modders as well!

I could have some of this slightly wrong; Dennis communicated it to me verbally here and it is loud! I'll find out exact details when pax is over :) - please do not take it as gospel yet!

Thanks Greg :).

Carthage UU's:
African forest elephant
Ship

Great I was hoping they'd give em an elephant was any video today on PAX? Any word on the type of ship Carthage gets? Any interviews?

I tried to get on streaming just now and can't. Tomorrow should have more info on GaK anyway.

The ship can only logically be a Quinquereme. My guess is the producer either didn't want to scare people with the word or didn't want to try to pronounce the word herself.

Is the video up, btw?

Top Bottom