Scapegrace's Stunningly Spurious Sivs. =]

Hm, I feel like that UI is kind of overdone. (surprise much?)

I like the idea of it basically transforming the tile into a Hill and I like the idea of it benefitting siege, but I think the regular combat bonus for siege, and particularly the combat bonus for ranged units, it's simply too much, thematic, sure, but sometimes it's better to keep things simple.

I like the Mangenik, but I sorta feel like it coming with Cover 1 is sort of overkill given that it already gains defensive terrain bonuses anyways alongside the civilian unit bonus.

The UA, more often than not I don't like much bonuses that boost improvement construction rate given that Liberty already makes it damn fast on its own, and I don't feel like gaining gold from idle workers is really useful at all(?).

The last part of the UA I also found somewhat uninspired, sure a powerful bonus, but extra experience from buildings in the capital is just... well, just meh for me.

I'm actually kind of interested in doing the amaXhosa, although I'd probably need some art resources to actually do it. Same goes for Dahomey.

@Hoop: A lot of the bonuses from the Siege Mound and Mangenik are only while attacking - or at least they should have been, I screwed that right up - and that Catapults have a frankly pathetic Combat Strength. I've adjusted it accordingly, but (and this is important) I think if you're making a UI, it kind of has to be a bit overcomplicated. They've got to stand out. It's also probably worth mentioning that you can only build the UI within City Bombardment range, which rather limits its utility in the lategame.

Also, the first half of the UA is designed to make constructing your UI a lot faster, which I'm assuming you noticed. I was really trying for a "combat engineers" sort of thing, but if I haven't implemented it properly, that's on me. =/

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Royalists, though - it was meant as a kind of counter to the existing Cromwellian Protectorate that lordrj15 did. =]

@GPuzzle: Go for it! I'd love to see them in the flesh, particularly the amaXhosa. =]

If I remember correctly, lordrj has also mentioned wanting to make a Royalist mod - so perhaps he'd also be interested in the design. That said, this was a while ago, and I've no idea if he's still interested in the prospect.

I quite like it, in any case, especially how it is focussed around gold in the same way that Cromwell is built around faith. Out of interest, is there any particular reason for the 'Generates Gold from Kills ability'? It seems like it would fit far better on a raider type of unit.

I was actually hoping that you wouldn't mind doing some research both for Civilopedia and what I could use for artwork, really.

@TS: Yeah, he was - I think I submitted that design in his thread ages back. Not heard much out of him since, but he's done a bucketload of Civs since then so I doubt it's very high up his to-do list. =]

@GP: Sure! I'll PM you some stuff later. =]

I'm actually kind of interested in doing the amaXhosa, although I'd probably need some art resources to actually do it. Same goes for Dahomey.

I think you could convince someone to texture the female Redcoat Zwei imported to make her look like a Mino/Amazon. I think that'd be convincing enough and easier than getting a model from scratch.

Hey, Scape, you still up for challenges and the sort? If so, I'd love to steal a design for see your take on a Papua New Guinea civ ;)

If its not too cheeky of me, I've had the rough outline of a PNG civ in my head for a while now, so here it is:

New Guinea​

Leader: Michael Somare?
UA: Birds of a Feather
Settled cities yield +2 of a random yield and internal :trade: trade routes to these cities grant a further boost to that yield. +1 :trade: trade route slot for every civilisation you haven't met, up to a maximum of 4.

UU: Marind Headhunter (Replaces Spearman)
The Marind Headhunter is much :c5strength: weaker and slightly :c5production: cheaper than the Spearman it replaces, but receives a substantial upgrade to its :c5strength: combat strength and movement speed upon killing its first enemy. Receive a burst of a random yield upon clearing a barbarian camp with a Marind.

UB: Bisj (Replaces Monument)
The Bisj, unlike the monument it replaces, yields +1 :c5happy: happiness. Aditionally, a free Bisj is automatically constructed in cities settled on or adjacent to jungle tiles.

A civ suited for lots of diverse cities settled on or near jungles each doing their own thing with loose, mutually beneficial links between them in the form of internal trade routes. The boost granted to internal trade routes allows the Papuans to ignore the rest of the world for much longer than any other civ, just like in real life, and allows them to squeeze the maximum possible value out of the secondary bonus from the UA. The Bisj allows the Papuans to spam even more cities to get even more of those tasty random yields without dipping below the happiness threshold, while the fact that it'll be free in many of your cities means city spamming also won't hurt your wallet. This all means an extremely stronk early game which hopefully allows the Papuans to settle into a nice groove early on and turtle until they're forced to go out and join the big wide world.

The Marind, while pretty powerful and seemingly emphasising conquest, actually works really well for the play-style the other two uniques emphasise. The Marind is basically your top of the line barbarian buster in the early game. The lack of combat strength won't matter too much thanks to the inbuilt bonuses against barbs, so fighting lots of barbs (to protect them sweet early game internal trade routes) should grant you a corps of elite head-hunters ready to protect your little empire when the big open world gets thrust upon it in the late game. The free boosts from clearing encampments both ties into the semi-random nature of the UA and provides a way to gain things like gold and science while eschewing trade routes with ones neighbours.

So, overall, an early game powerhouse capable of spamming lots of diverse, happy and random cities while trading internally and ignoring the rest of the world. For the worlds least explored major land mass, inhabited by more diverse people than anywhere else in the world, with a complex network of trade extending up and down the island, I can't think of a playstyle that fits better.

Well, its a nice design... And I suppose that the nicest part about it is that I see many possible ways to play with it.

I like this design a lot! Would still like to see Scapegrace's take on it, but the Random Yields thing, the Headhunter and Bisj Pole are all really cool ;)

Look who's back!

Algeria. Algeria is back. I'm sure you missed the concept of the nation-state of Algeria very much. =]

===

Algeria (Houari Boumediene)
Capital: Algiers
Start Bias: Desert
UA: Workshop Of The Maghreb
Upon adopting an Ideology, Buildings that generate Production are built +33% faster and generate +1 Culture, Production, and Gold. Social Policies are 1% cheaper for every Workshop, Windmill, Factory, Hydro Plant, Sonatrach Refinery, and Solar Plant in the Empire (max. 50%).
UU: Armée Nationale Populaire (replaces Infantry)
Unlike the Infantry it replaces, the ANP is cheaper and generates Culture per kill equal to double the target unit's Combat Strength. It also receives a +25% Combat Bonus when fighting in City-State territory. Upgrades as normal.
UB: Sonatrach Refinery (replaces Nuclear Plant)
The Sonatrach Refinery is markedly different to the Nuclear Plant it replaces; for one thing, it is much weaker, generating only +4 and +10% Production. However, it is cheaper (425 Production vs. 500 on Standard), requires Oil instead of Uranium, generates +1 Production and Gold from Tiles with Oil, is available at Refrigeration rather than Nuclear Fission, and does not prevent the construction of a Solar Plant in the City in which it is built. Requires a Factory.

I can see Algeria becoming more than a nation state with this design...

A flood of older Civs have arrived at the Palais!

In BSR:-
Lesotho
In KiaLL:-
The Amalekites
Iran

In BotG
Belgium
In SaaH:-
Tsenacommacah
In SCI:-
The Society of Jesus
In TCM:-
The Bahmanis
The Central Asian Union
The Dravidians
The East India Company
Hulu Aiq
Kuru
Magadha
South Korea
Sukhothai
Turkmenistan

---

Enjoy! =]

Last edited:
Can I necro this? I'mma necro this. =]

---

Artaxiad Armenia (Artaxias I)
Start Bias: Hills
Capital: :c5capital: Artaxata
UA: Songs Of Koght'en
If you issue a Joint Declaration of War against another Major Civilization, enter a :c5goldenage: Golden Age the first time you capture a City. :c5goldenage: Golden Ages last 10% longer and increase the :c5culture: Culture and :c5production: Production output of all Cities by a further 10% for each non-Occupied foreign :c5capital: Capital under the Empire's control.
UU: Ayrudzi (replaces Chariot Archer)
Unlocked somewhat later than the Chariot Archer it replaces (at Engineering), and commensurately more expensive (90 :c5production: vs. 56 at Standard speed), the Ayrudzi nevertheless has much to recommend it. They are much stronger, having 11 :c5strength: CS and 14 :c5rangedstrength: Ranged CS, ignore Rough Terrain Penalties, have a base movement of 3 with the Mobility promotion (for a total of 4), can move after attacking, and start with Volley. This is a powerful ranged unit, designed to excel at taking down cities. Upgrades to Crossbowman.
UB: Philhelline Theatre (replaces Colosseum)
Standard Colosseum benefits. Additionally, generates +20% :c5gold: Gold and +1 :c5goldenage: Golden Age point per turn when the City is sending an :c5trade: International Trade Route.

Top Bottom