Scenario: 1940AD on GEM

Had another game using China. Emperor difficulty. As one would imagine, the game was very tough on me. Neither I or the Jap can launch a war to the other - it was a stalemate on the frontline as history.

Rather than keep building up the frontline army which wouldn't be great enough to conquer a city of Jap, I spent my first two years to conquer the rest of China (Xinjiang, Tibet and Communist) and at the same time, only maintain enough defense at the frontline. It was risky and there were one or two cities close to being captured. But in general, the Jap didn't launch anything too serious on me except keep bombing my improvements and units. By about, 1943, this mission is completed.

After I solidified the western territories, I start to build up my frontline forces. Then slowly, city by city, I have managed to capture 4 cities from Japan's hand. I was expecting the counter reaction from Japan should be smaller now, but in fact, it is completely the other way around. I was back to the defensive mode and keep building fighter to defend my improvements. This was already 1945.

Then all the sudden, Russia declared war on Jap and few turns later, America also declared war on Jap! It was a really a good timing because my defense line was about to broke! The next few turns, I saw intense naval battles in the pacific. What surprised me was that the America actually landed and captured nearly all the island cities of Jap's in the pacific. The American is obviously technologically more advanced than the Jap. The Jap is losing the sea quickly.

But the Jap didn't weakened its land force. The Jap continue to attack my cities and at once, a stack of nearly 20 mixed units was about to take one of my cities! I needed to drain most of my cities' defense to that one city. Lucky the Jap didn't turn his attention to other cities!

BUT THEN, at around 1946, the Jap surrendered to the American! As the Jap becomes vassal to the American, I automatically put to peace with Jap, which makes my game basically ended.

Based on the observation from this game, I believe the AI need sometime to 'learn' the settings before it can launch a sizeable, concentrated attack.

wow.. Did I see a war going on!

Great fun.

I am trying 1500AD Incan ATM.

I will go back to 1940AD after I kick Spain and Portugal out of my home:)

Also for my game of 1940AD using Chinese, when I open map editor at the end of my game, I saw German has more than twenty tanks and many other units running around France and France also having a stack of about 20 units in Paris. All units are injured meaning there were intense war in the western front as well.

The German in my game managed to capture Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Zagreb, Belgrade, Thessalonica and Athens. They had peace with France for a while and then resumed war sometime around 1945.

wow.. Did I see a war going on!

Great fun.

I am trying 1500AD Incan ATM.

I will go back to 1940AD after I kick Spain and Portugal out of my home:)

Wo, that would be a challenge! Have fun!

Started last night I try to improve this scenario:

Aim: making India less powerful.

1) I suggest and tried NO_TECH_TRADING just for the 1940AD scenario. This is because it uses a non default calendar (1 month per turn) and research is too fast at the moment. The vassal civs such as India are also growing too fast by receiving free tech from their master.

2) Pakistan and Bengal (east Pakistan) are now own by British. After reviewing the Indian history during WW2, I think this is also historical other than just for gameplay purpose. During WW2, the Indian Muslim League is quite independent of the Indian Congress and play a more co-operative role to Britain as compare to the Congress, lead by Gandhi, launched the Quit India campaign.

3) Jaipur is now own by minor nations as well because this should also be a princely state governed independently.

4) Removed some improvement and some city buildings.

After these changes, India now only has 8 cities and is very weak in strength.

Aim: making German AI invade more cities.

1) I first try to pre-arrange units on the transport on sea tiles and hope that the German AI will attack Norway. It fails to do so. Each time, it will just land the units back to the homeland and do nothing.

2) I also tried to put some German units on Sweden (note that it is not allowed to start with units on enemy territories - Norway) and hope that German AI can invade Norway. All the AI is doing, after about 5 turns, is have all 8 units stand still 2 tiles away Narvik which has only one infantry!

3) Moving out all the French units from the lowlands and hope that the German AI will be able to grab the two cities. It also fail.

4) relocate one German tank on the spot closest to Copenhagen hoping it will take it on the first turn. It just doesn't!

5) What I observed is that, at the first turn, The German AI will try to move away the units on the western front to the east, possibly to defend itself from the Yogoslavia. What I might try is to neturalist Greece and give the two Yogoslav cities to Greece so hoping the AI will not have any fear on the east.

If this still doesn't work, I will probably give up.

Germany

Could it be a "unit" issue?

Too few units for the enemies around or wrong mix?

Any way of placing more units if an AI is running Germany than the player?

Maybe start the Scenario just after Germany takes the low countries?

Japan
I still think two to four more fighters are needed.

Germany

Could it be a "unit" issue?

Too few units for the enemies around or wrong mix?

Any way of placing more units if an AI is running Germany than the player?

Maybe start the Scenario just after Germany takes the low countries?

Japan
I still think two to four more fighters are needed.

I am hesitate to change the unit balance as at the moment, the unit distribution is relative to the real situation.

Moreover, I suspect even giving more fighters to Japanese would make any difference. If there are any, it would probably just making the Japanese being able to cripple the Chinese, which is not historical. On the other hand, I doubt it would declare war to the American just because it has more fighters.

Actually Germany can waltz through France in 3 turns and kill all units with minimal losses as is. The AI just doesn't know how to do so. So no need for more units.

So far this one is the best world war 2 one to date for BTS.I started as Japan.Oil needs to be fought for as that was part of the reason for Japan to attack the Allies in Southeast Asia.Having Oil near Naha without the plastics tech is also a nice touch so i researched that first hoping to avoid a war with Britain and the Dutch East Indies.
The war is China proved to be a bitter battle for Wenchow,Langchuan and Changsa as well as fending off raiding parties from French Indochina.Air superiority i used with great success in 1940-43 is now being contested every turn from july 1943 by China.I got plastics tech in march 1944 and in April of that year America attacked Iwo Jima and now has a land base to attack Japan.
I now face a war on 3 fronts with China,America and France.All other nations ive managed to keep out of the Pacific theater through negotiation or bribery.
Hong Kong is still british as is Singapore and Dutch East indies and i may have made a mistake not attacking them early.The good news is that ALL my starter fleets are intact including all my carriers i began with.

All i gotta say is GREAT JOB so far.This is better than the Road to War scenarios that the devs made and i thought those were good!:goodjob:

Joshua

P.S. Is this Mod hotseat compatible?Id like to control that vassel in Manchuria to support the war effort.

So far this one is the best world war 2 one to date for BTS.I started as Japan.Oil needs to be fought for as that was part of the reason for Japan to attack the Allies in Southeast Asia.Having Oil near Naha without the plastics tech is also a nice touch so i researched that first hoping to avoid a war with Britain and the Dutch East Indies.
The war is China proved to be a bitter battle for Wenchow,Langchuan and Changsa as well as fending off raiding parties from French Indochina.Air superiority i used with great success in 1940-43 is now being contested every turn from july 1943 by China.I got plastics tech in march 1944 and in April of that year America attacked Iwo Jima and now has a land base to attack Japan.
I now face a war on 3 fronts with China,America and France.All other nations ive managed to keep out of the Pacific theater through negotiation or bribery.
Hong Kong is still british as is Singapore and Dutch East indies and i may have made a mistake not attacking them early.The good news is that ALL my starter fleets are intact including all my carriers i began with.

All i gotta say is GREAT JOB so far.This is better than the Road to War scenarios that the devs made and i thought those were good!:goodjob:

Joshua

P.S. Is this Mod hotseat compatible?Id like to control that vassel in Manchuria to support the war effort.

I think hotseat should be compatible, although i never tried before. Actually, I think someone here has reported he played using hotseat to test varies players at the same time.

Joshua

And Welcome to GEM! :D

I think you should try to use a 40 civ version of this new AI for your scenario the changes that Jdog done with the calculation of closeness give somme good result for the Coquest strategy of AI in a normal game.
Maybe it will help you with your german problem.
BTW very good scenario you've done a great job :goodjob:

I already compiled this AI mod for 40 players and tested it a bit on the 1500 AD map. It was a bit hard for me to spot the differences though, I cannot really tell whether the overall behaviour is significantly improved.

Right now, I am running a test on the 1940 AD scenario, as you suggested. 20 turns into the game, Germany has all but wasted its starting army, is behind France in power and has only capturef Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Bern. So I'd say there is no major improvement.

Best Regards
Martin

I already compiled this AI mod for 40 players and tested it a bit on the 1500 AD map. It was a bit hard for me to spot the differences though, I cannot really tell whether the overall behaviour is significantly improved.

Right now, I am running a test on the 1940 AD scenario, as you suggested. 20 turns into the game, Germany has all but wasted its starting army, is behind France in power and has only capturef Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Bern. So I'd say there is no major improvement.

Best Regards
Martin

I also tried as France and kept thwarting German advances until i was actually able to launch an attack of my own towards bern.The German AI was only able to take Copenhagen and Amsterdam in my game while i took bern.Ironically it was the Italians in the south that actually almost broke through to Marseilles and wiped the entire French fleet i had there which i was able to bombard Rome only once then it was gone!lol!

I know if i choose germany i will be able to wipe france.I also chose russia and wiped finland clean but only once i combined my forces by blitzkrieg.What i mean is i would use my air power until his one fighter wing was destroyed,then the defenses,and finally the units themselves.This is the difference between a human controlled and AI controlled.The AI seems to just mass its units and tries to win by shear numbers and fails.

GK ,you might want to see if theres anything that will cause the german AI to make maximum use of air power and combined arms.Im not sure if there is as im no editor.Im having too much fun playing!

Joshua

I tried to modify the leaderhad.xml of napoleon (hitler in this scenario) by replacing the actual flavor by
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_MILITARY</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
and
<UnitAIWeightModifier>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
<iWeightModifier>100</iWeightModifier>
</UnitAIWeightModifier>

instead of UNITAI_COUNTER

it seems that in five (2 without the leaderhead modification) test germany took beetween 2-4 cities more in 30 turns. But like i did that on 5 test only maybe its luck I don't know :crazyeye:.
For the configuration of the game i played on emperor and took an south american civ to don't bother the european theatre.
Can you post the dll of jdog please ace i'd like to test if it change something.

Armand.

I tried to modify the leaderhad.xml of napoleon (hitler in this scenario) by replacing the actual flavor by
<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
and
<UnitAIWeightModifier>
</UnitAIWeightModifier>

instead of UNITAI_COUNTER

it seems that in five (2 without the leaderhead modification) test germany took beetween 2-4 cities more in 30 turns. But like i did that on 5 test only maybe its luck I don't know :crazyeye:.
For the configuration of the game i played on emperor and took an south american civ to don't bother the european theatre.
Can you post the dll of jdog please ace i'd like to test if it change something.

Armand.
This is something I haven't really tried because I assumed Napoleon should already be agressive enough.
So which paramaters did you change?

between the tag
<Flavors>
</Flavors>
I wrote :
<Flavor>
<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
</Flavor>

and between
<UnitAIWeightModifier>
</UnitAIWeightModifier>
i wrote:

you must put this instead of the old parametters.
There is a very good article on the leaderhead modification if you want here :).
But as I told you i did that on emperor level and its possible it was only luck.
What is sure is that the AI is very stupid, and you'll have lot of problem to manage that it does what you want :(

ps: the german took only one time in my try a french city. other times the AI took cities like belgrad or greeck cities. Maybe the french forces are overpowered.

One minor thing I would change in America is to add:

Jewish to New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago
Budhist to San Fran and LA
Muslim to NYC, and I forget if it was Chicago, Detroit or Cleveland which was the hub in the 40's.

Top Bottom