Scenario: 1940AD on GEM

One minor thing I would change in America is to add:

Jewish to New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago
Budhist to San Fran and LA
Muslim to NYC, and I forget if it was Chicago, Detroit or Cleveland which was the hub in the 40's.

Not sure if this is appropriate. Originally when I made the scenario, I gave many religions to a lot of cities to represent the diversity. Because of this, those holy cities generated so much money that I have to cut back some. At the end, I have to cut down to include only the dominated religion in any city.

Kind of silly to have america with Free Religon and being Christian only

between the tag
<Flavors>
</Flavors>
I wrote :
<Flavor>
<FlavorType>FLAVOR_MILITARY</FlavorType>
<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
</Flavor>

and between
<UnitAIWeightModifier>
</UnitAIWeightModifier>
i wrote:
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
<iWeightModifier>100</iWeightModifier>

you must put this instead of the old parametters.
There is a very good article on the leaderhead modification if you want here :).
But as I told you i did that on emperor level and its possible it was only luck.
What is sure is that the AI is very stupid, and you'll have lot of problem to manage that it does what you want :(

ps: the german took only one time in my try a french city. other times the AI took cities like belgrad or greeck cities. Maybe the french forces are overpowered.

I've read a bit more about leaderhead modding. I think what you have suggested here might not solve our problem. Those parameters are probably for the AI to decide what to be build next in cites and so it should have nothing to do with how it handles the currently available units.

Yes it didn't change how it handles the available unit :sad:, but it helps a little for the further production of the AI to product a little more military units, it did'nt do any miracle sadly ...
Armand.

Would I be stating the obvious if I say that you can slow down the research and great peoples from XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

I'll try the mod by halving the speeds of both.

1000th post :goodjob:

Would I be stating the obvious if I say that you can slow down the research and great peoples from XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

I'll try the mod by halving the speeds of both.

1000th post :goodjob:

Yeah. But then you are not just slowing 1940AD scenario, you are slowing all the scenarios as it is a global setting.

WOW this scenario and all these scenarios and maps look awesome!
If only I could play them, but the lag would be too much in between turns
I far exceede the reccomended requirements but even on a Huge sized Map with 18 civs I get much lag in between turns when at end game..like being able to see the entire world
Does this MOD make the lag lessen or anything to make it playable?

I just tested the scenario..
It looks like a fun map and very strategic
But at 6 minutes and 23 seconds in between turns(yes i timed it on my watch)..well it isnt for me..my comp well exceedes the recomended specs by 2-3 times in many areas...but still massive lag in between turns

WOW this scenario and all these scenarios and maps look awesome!
If only I could play them, but the lag would be too much in between turns
I far exceede the reccomended requirements but even on a Huge sized Map with 18 civs I get much lag in between turns when at end game..like being able to see the entire world
Does this MOD make the lag lessen or anything to make it playable?

If you are having trouble just playing 18 civs on a huge map, you will have problem playing 36 civs on a giant map.

If you are having trouble just playing 18 civs on a huge map, you will have problem playing 36 civs on a giant map.

yes and its stupid because even though I like many exceede reccomended specs not by just a little..but by a lot...yet cant play this board game with 3D graphics on a huge map with even as little as 18 civs:mad:

Just downloaded 5.1 yesterday, and tried playing as Germany

I started out taking Copenhagen, the lowlands, Paris and one more french city. Taking out tons of French units, and the british land troops as well

The French withdrew most of there forces from their defencelines to their remaining cities. Fortunately (by luck) I kept my naval forces inside the cities, and slowly concentrated them all near the english chanal. I had no intention of entering Brittish soil, but suddenly London was defended by only 2 (one of which very strong) ground units and 4 planes. I loaded attack units on both my transports (had built one more, lucky again), and hoped for an attack on London in the next few turns. To my luck, Churchill withdrew a large part of his navy to London :lol: and didn't reinforce with land troops :D

I took London, including 4 planes and 6 ships :D
I did loose 5 ground units and, several fighters and most bombers on the attack, but by now the UK are mine, and I can now shift my attention towards France. (haven't taken Norway, and don't plan to - whats the use...)

Next steps - France -> Minor Nations -> Greece -> ???

What's to say - I've enjoyed your Scenarios all along - but with your GEM-serie.... :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Just downloaded 5.1 yesterday, and tried playing as Germany

I started out taking Copenhagen, the lowlands, Paris and one more french city. Taking out tons of French units, and the british land troops as well

The French withdrew most of there forces from their defencelines to their remaining cities. Fortunately (by luck) I kept my naval forces inside the cities, and slowly concentrated them all near the english chanal. I had no intention of entering Brittish soil, but suddenly London was defended by only 2 (one of which very strong) ground units and 4 planes. I loaded attack units on both my transports (had built one more, lucky again), and hoped for an attack on London in the next few turns. To my luck, Churchill withdrew a large part of his navy to London :lol: and didn't reinforce with land troops :D

I took London, including 4 planes and 6 ships :D
I did loose 5 ground units and, several fighters and most bombers on the attack, but by now the UK are mine, and I can now shift my attention towards France. (haven't taken Norway, and don't plan to - whats the use...)

Next steps - France -> Minor Nations -> Greece -> ???

What's to say - I've enjoyed your Scenarios all along - but with your GEM-serie.... :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

That's great ;)

Hello Kai,

could you put the version we used for the PBEM up for download as WBS file? That would be very helpful.

Best Regards,
Martin / Ace

The map is exactly the same as v1.2 in GEM v5.1 except the order.

Hello Genghis Kai,

As usual I have some feedback concerning my corner of the world (Turkey). I opened the scenario, looked around a bit, did most of the modifications I suggest below, and then started playing.

1- Ismet Inonu would best be Organized Protective, favoring Free Religion
2- Change starting civics to Universal Sufferage (hard to avoid with women politicians around) and Nationhood (this hasn&#8217;t changed for the past 100 years)
3- I left the speeds as they are, because I was playing a minor civ. By the time I was halfway through my first tech, big guys had 3-4 techs.
4- As far as I remember your original map did not have oil in Turkey &#8211; but the last time I saw it was about V1.2. I was surprised to see it here, and I removed it.
5- To somewhat balance the loss of oil (which apparently is a resource AI would die rather than trading), I added aluminum to the square west of Adana (Turkey mines its own aluminum from there - even if its quantity is not a large enough fraction of the world production to justify a resource icon, it is more reasonable than oil), and changed the wheat in the southwest to banana (I am always annoyed by the lack of representation of fruits in civ, especially being from the country that is the leading producer of many fruits, so I decided to treat banana as all fruits in general &#8211; for my taste, not a suggestion &#8211; I remember we talked about this last year and you decided a banana is a banana &#8211; and it would involve changing bananas all over the map). Still oil > aluminum+banana in the game, but it was good enough for me.
6- I removed 4 riflemen and added 2 cavalry (Turks have given most importace to cavalry until the cold war), 1 artillery, 1 fighter (we had a fleet of figters and bombers, but not a very large fleet &#8211; I decided to roll all of them into one fighter, also to honor world&#8217;s first female fighter pilot), 1 destroyer (historically it was 1 cruiser, a few destroyers, and 5 subs &#8211; I guess that merits 1 destroyer in civ) and 1 transport for historical accuracy.
7- Increased Izmir&#8217;s culture to 2000. Even then it could not compete with the two 10-culture wonders of Athens. I ended up being unable to use some sea and LAND squares on the Aegean coast until Athens fell (I&#8217;ll write about what happened in the game in the second half of this post). Also increased Erzurum&#8217;s culture significantly, to preserve the horse and the cow (both of which I remember were among the resources you allocated for Turkey, as I suggested their current locations around V1.15)
8- I was lazy to do this one, but I think you need it: move Bucharest to its actual place (one square north). To keep all cities at 3 squares fom each other, move the city in Transylvania one square west. Currently Istanbul and Bucharest, both large cities, are within each other&#8217;s city radius, whereas in reality they are quite far from each other. I am guessing you moved Bucharest there for Hungary to have a port &#8211; if that was the purpose, it could be achieved by moving Bucharest north of Danube and convert one land square to sea to give it a port, just for this scenario.
9- Some populations are slightly off from historical data I could find on the web: I changed Athens and Istanbul to 11, Ankara and Izmir to 6.
10- I added a Greek city on the island on the west (named it Corfu), with pop 1 and no buildings, In order to mark it as Greek territory.
11- All cities have just Islam, except Istanbul having Christianity and Judaism as well, and Adana having Christianity as well.
12- I changed the buildings in Turkish cities as follows:
Base: Barracks, Courthouse, Forge, Granary, Grocer, Hamam, Islamic Temple, Jail, Marketplace, Stable.
Ankara: Base + Airport, Bank, Castle, Colosseum, Factory, Hospital, Library, Monument, Security Bureau, Theatre, University, Palace, National Epic.
Istanbul: Base + Airport, Bank, Castle, Christian Temple, Colosseum, Drydock, Factory, Harbor, Hospital, Islamic Temple, Islamic Mosque, Jewish Temple, Library, Lighthouse, Monument, Observatory, Theatre, University, Walls, Hagia Sophia, Forbidden Palace (don&#8217;t put this if you keep the limit of 2 national wonders per city).
Izmir: Base + Airport, Bank, Colosseum, Customs House, Harbor, Hospital, Islamic Temple, Lighthouse, Monument, Temple of Artemis, Mausoleum of Mausolos.
Adana: Base + Bank, Christian Temple, Customs House, Harbor, Hospital.
Samsun: Base + Lighthouse, Harbor, Monument.
Erzurum: Base + Castle.

Other than all these, there are three changes I make to all civ mods, and this one was no exception. If you like any of them they are easy to implement. The first one fits very nicely in this scenario.
1- Add some withdrawal chance to all units. I hate the unrealistic idea that all units are suicidal. So I usually add 20 or 25, but I added 33 for this scenario due to it being combat-oriented.
2- I remove National wonder limit of 2 per city (I think it severely penalizes small civs, as if they need more disadvantages against bigger civs. Plus it makes no sense, it is an arbitrary limit)
3- I change the yields of cottage, hamlet, village and town to f, fg, fgg, pggg, respectively, where f is food, g is gold, p is production (again for flavor purposes &#8211; economy of most small settlements has always been based on food).

Now, it is storytime:
At the beginning Germany took Amsterdam and Copenhagen, then made peace with France (I think this is a big problem in your scenario, I suggest setting the diplomatic relations between Germany and France to -99 from the start). Italy also made peace with everyone. Then France took Brussels and Basel while Germany took Yugoslavia.

Knowing the war would eventually come my way, I busied myself with upgrading troops, industrializing cities and a war with a small oil-rich neighbor. I took Mosul and Baghdad, but couldn&#8217;t get any oil as I didn&#8217;t have any culture there yet. I was also eyeing French territory of Syria, which had 1 infantry per city. These were the first 2 years.

While waiting for the unrest in the newly conquered cities to die down, before taking the last Iraqi city, Germany finished aforementioned conquests, and decided to have a taste of me (Hungary is his vassal and my neighbor, so the panzers have easy access to me). Of course I took the trivial course of action &#8211; peace with Iraq, move everything (except 4 infantry left in Baghdad to prevent uprising) to Istanbul, and draft from there as well. Luckily Greece became British vassal, therefore at war with Germany. First Axis (Germany+Hungary) wave was thus divided &#8211; Greece lost Thessaloniki to Hungary while I defeated the army that came at me, counterattacked and took Bucharest (wouldn&#8217;t have been that easy if it were one square north). Then it turned into a stalemate with Axis occasionally attacking Athens, Bucharest and Istanbul versus me attacking Sofia and Transilvania. This continued for 2 years, towards the end of which my Iraqi cities generated enough culture to give me oil.

While Balkans turned into a bloodbath, nations of the world slowly gathered into groups. So it is UK and vassals (Nor, Neth, SAf, Can, Aus, NZ, Ind), France and vassal (It), Germany and vassal (Hun), USSR and vassals (Spa, Por, Thai, Fin, Pers, Arab, Mon), Japan and vassal (Mnch), USA and vassals (Col, Peru, Arg, Chl), and the few remaining indeps. UK et al except Greece was busy with conquering unnamed minors (by the way, Tibet and especially Sinkiang seem big enough to merit their own civs I think). Japan was patiently taking one Chinese city per year.

Don&#8217;t worry, Western Europe didn&#8217;t stay peaceful. At the end of the 4th year, USSR declared war on France &#8211; which effectively meant France and Italy ganging up on Spain, and fall of Barcelona. Balkan stalemate stopped being boring when 10 panzers rolled into Greece. Athens fell to 4 heavily wounded panzers that managed to get through (the rest didn&#8217;t die but were out of movement points). I sent my transport with 3 marines and one antitank (i.e. fodder). And the transport brought the marines back in the same turn, leaving only the antitank standing in Athens. Of course Germany got it back on the next turn, but that was the most fun combat trick I have done in civ. I left it at March&#8217;44.

It is a fun scenario in the overall, but I guess it wouldn&#8217;t be so without Germany attacking me. I was repeatedly surprised with the combat idiocies of the AI. If I can stop Germany with Turkey, I doubt I will do anything but trample the AI nations if I play with one of the major powers.

Hello Genghis Kai,
As usual I have some feedback concerning my corner of the world (Turkey). I opened the scenario, looked around a bit, did most of the modifications I suggest below, and then started playing.
Is great to have you back giving me feedback from that part of the world. Most people wouldn't even bother to try playing those minor civs in the scenario, not to mention even giving me feedback!

1- Ismet Inonu would best be Organized Protective, favoring Free Religion
traits are specify to the leaderheads. The choice we can have is either using SULEIMAN (imperialistic, philosophical, favor hereditary rule) or MEHMED (expansive, organized, favor vassalage)

2- Change starting civics to Universal Sufferage (hard to avoid with women politicians around) and Nationhood (this hasn’t changed for the past 100 years)
I might have been a bit harsh when defining which country to have Universal Suffrage in the scenario. Actually, no one country I gave Universal Suffrage in the scenario as I thought 'true' universal suffrage is something after the second world war, including US and UK. I probably haven't do enough homework on this issue.

3- I left the speeds as they are, because I was playing a minor civ. By the time I was halfway through my first tech, big guys had 3-4 techs.
I know the scenario tech research rate is too fast at the moment due to the 1 month per turn setting. But I really don't want to slow down it, as it would make scientific research becomes something useless it in the scenario (some suggest to slow down 5 or even 10 folds!)

4- As far as I remember your original map did not have oil in Turkey – but the last time I saw it was about V1.2. I was surprised to see it here, and I removed it.
Yes, it was none. I added in v5 when I increase the number of oil on the map globally. I think I added there for gameplay. But just looked at the reference I have, I think it is more correct to remove it.

5- To somewhat balance the loss of oil (which apparently is a resource AI would die rather than trading), I added aluminum to the square west of Adana (Turkey mines its own aluminum from there - even if its quantity is not a large enough fraction of the world production to justify a resource icon, it is more reasonable than oil), and changed the wheat in the southwest to banana (I am always annoyed by the lack of representation of fruits in civ, especially being from the country that is the leading producer of many fruits, so I decided to treat banana as all fruits in general – for my taste, not a suggestion – I remember we talked about this last year and you decided a banana is a banana – and it would involve changing bananas all over the map). Still oil > aluminum+banana in the game, but it was good enough for me.
Probably not. Turkey doesn't seems to produce enough aluminum to get one represented. For Banana, like you mentioned, in GEM I tried to represent the correct resource only to avoid dispute. However, if I there is really something I think really lacking, I can give some exceptions. Please tell me some stats as to why you think Turkey should include a Banana.

6- I removed 4 riflemen and added 2 cavalry (Turks have given most importace to cavalry until the cold war), 1 artillery, 1 fighter (we had a fleet of figters and bombers, but not a very large fleet – I decided to roll all of them into one fighter, also to honor world’s first female fighter pilot), 1 destroyer (historically it was 1 cruiser, a few destroyers, and 5 subs – I guess that merits 1 destroyer in civ) and 1 transport for historical accuracy.
It is hard to get military stats for the neutral countries during WW2. When I did it, I think I just use the current military size ~800000/40000 = 20. I think I I can do what you suggested.

Actually, just found this website. Would you agree with it? Interestingly, it can lead me to about the same size (In 1941, 43 divisions/2 = 21)
http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-2.html

7- Increased Izmir’s culture to 2000. Even then it could not compete with the two 10-culture wonders of Athens. I ended up being unable to use some sea and LAND squares on the Aegean coast until Athens fell (I’ll write about what happened in the game in the second half of this post). Also increased Erzurum’s culture significantly, to preserve the horse and the cow (both of which I remember were among the resources you allocated for Turkey, as I suggested their current locations around V1.15)
Culture is a very difficult issue. I need to make sure one city doesn't absorb other cities naturally. While it is true that Athens is a culturally rich, I am worry about Hungary. I can check.

8- I was lazy to do this one, but I think you need it: move Bucharest to its actual place (one square north). To keep all cities at 3 squares fom each other, move the city in Transylvania one square west. Currently Istanbul and Bucharest, both large cities, are within each other’s city radius, whereas in reality they are quite far from each other. I am guessing you moved Bucharest there for Hungary to have a port – if that was the purpose, it could be achieved by moving Bucharest north of Danube and convert one land square to sea to give it a port, just for this scenario.
I am not too concern about the see port, I am concern about Hungary doesn't have enough space. In contrast, at the moment, Istanbul still have many free space to the south or east. But I agree it is a more accurate location. I will have a look.

9- Some populations are slightly off from historical data I could find on the web: I changed Athens and Istanbul to 11, Ankara and Izmir to 6.
I've got this reference that basically list city sizes for EVERY CITY in the world in the last century. http://www.populstat.info

Base on that reference, in 1940, populations in thousands are:
Istanbul has 793.9 ~ 11 in game.
Ismir has 183.8 ~ 6/7 ( I took the greater)
Ankara has 157.2 ~ 6 ( I gave 7 since it is a capital)
Athens has 1124.1 ~ 12/13 (I took the greater as well)

10- I added a Greek city on the island on the west (named it Corfu), with pop 1 and no buildings, In order to mark it as Greek territory.
I thought of that too. But it is a bit crowded already so I decided not to.

11- All cities have just Islam, except Istanbul having Christianity and Judaism as well, and Adana having Christianity as well.
So no Judaism in all other cities except Istanbul? I just guessed this. I can change it.

12- I changed the buildings in Turkish cities as follows:
Base: Barracks, Courthouse, Forge, Granary, Grocer, Hamam, Islamic Temple, Jail, Marketplace, Stable.
Ankara: Base + Airport, Bank, Castle, Colosseum, Factory, Hospital, Library, Monument, Security Bureau, Theatre, University, Palace, National Epic.
Istanbul: Base + Airport, Bank, Castle, Christian Temple, Colosseum, Drydock, Factory, Harbor, Hospital, Islamic Temple, Islamic Mosque, Jewish Temple, Library, Lighthouse, Monument, Observatory, Theatre, University, Walls, Hagia Sophia, Forbidden Palace (don’t put this if you keep the limit of 2 national wonders per city).
Izmir: Base + Airport, Bank, Colosseum, Customs House, Harbor, Hospital, Islamic Temple, Lighthouse, Monument, Temple of Artemis, Mausoleum of Mausolos.
Adana: Base + Bank, Christian Temple, Customs House, Harbor, Hospital.
Samsun: Base + Lighthouse, Harbor, Monument.
Erzurum: Base + Castle.
I will review this using your info as a reference. However, keep in mind that we have to cut down the numbers globally for gameplay. For example, I don't think I can give 3 airports to Turkey, even Germany only has 3 in the scenario!

Other than all these, there are three changes I make to all civ mods, and this one was no exception. If you like any of them they are easy to implement. The first one fits very nicely in this scenario.
1- Add some withdrawal chance to all units. I hate the unrealistic idea that all units are suicidal. So I usually add 20 or 25, but I added 33 for this scenario due to it being combat-oriented.
2- I remove National wonder limit of 2 per city (I think it severely penalizes small civs, as if they need more disadvantages against bigger civs. Plus it makes no sense, it is an arbitrary limit)
3- I change the yields of cottage, hamlet, village and town to f, fg, fgg, pggg, respectively, where f is food, g is gold, p is production (again for flavor purposes – economy of most small settlements has always been based on food).
Probably not at this stage. It is tempting to change some of the default setting. I also have a list of things in my mind too, such as allowing bombing units to death (why only half?). But that these changes can have great impact to the game balance which I must do it very cautiously.

It is a fun scenario in the overall, but I guess it wouldn’t be so without Germany attacking me. I was repeatedly surprised with the combat idiocies of the AI. If I can stop Germany with Turkey, I doubt I will do anything but trample the AI nations if I play with one of the major powers.
AI is difficult to teach. I don't think I can make German AI as aggressive as it should. That's why I am trying to set up a PBEM game where this scenario should be play on. Interested? You can play Turkey and other neutral civs if you want.

Kai, in regard to leader traits, could you not just create some "fake" leaderheads, like the "fake" civlization?

You would not have to add unique units. You could just create a LEADER_ISMET_INONU which uses all the graphics from Suleiman, but has different traits and behaviour.

This way, you would not have to increase the size of the download (just adding some minmal extra xml data) while changing leader behavoiur.

Best Regards,
Martin / Ace

Kai, in regard to leader traits, could you not just create some "fake" leaderheads, like the "fake" civlization?

You would not have to add unique units. You could just create a LEADER_ISMET_INONU which uses all the graphics from Suleiman, but has different traits and behaviour.

This way, you would not have to increase the size of the download (just adding some minmal extra xml data) while changing leader behavoiur.

Best Regards,
Martin / Ace

Good idea!

Oh more work...

Sorry for causing you more work *blush*. I just thought it would be nice on some occasions, especially when Leaderheads were chosen for their appearance rather than for the traits / civic preferences that a certain leader possessed.

This would also add an opportunity to tweak leader behavoiur (production, trade) for key players in some scenarios.

By the way, speaking of leaders... Robert Menzies lacks any traits in the GEM 5.1 files. (does not matter much, as he is not implemented though). Just to let you know in case you decide to integrate him at some point.

I added him in my personal copy of the mod, and gave gim protective/organized.

Best Regards,
Martin / Ace

Top Bottom