Scenario: 1940AD on GEM

Had to restart as my save would not load.

Playing again as England.

Wanted to report that in Feb 1940 America Declared war on Germany. :)

Quick update...

Like my game as Italy before the update... I am playing the English it is June 1941 Just took Rome. All of Africa is cleansed of Italian colonies, I will have the rest of Italy by the end of 1941 begining of 1942. I have taken out Spain proper and tried for German Amsterdam .... But it was a bridge too far :mischief:

I "think" when I was Italy my ability to control where I placed my fleets allowed me to concentrate my power and expand rapidly... It is more so with the English but they start off very very weak and would not have been able to compete if not for the Golden Age Strategy I have employed.

In any event I will think about suggestions to balance for Human vs AI.

However.. The English as computer AI has a tough time against a Human German player as well as the Italy.

A couple of questions and comments.

What made you have no tech trading?

I think a few Christian Monestaries should be sprinkled around (Rome, London, Berlin etc..) why they have no effect they do allow you to spread religon without switching to OR.

A couple of questions and comments.

What made you have no tech trading?

I think a few Christian Monestaries should be sprinkled around (Rome, London, Berlin etc..) why they have no effect they do allow you to spread religon without switching to OR.

There aren't a lot, but there are some around the world (a total of 5).

Can somebody help me, please.

Version 5.2 GEM is installed, and I cannot find (see) any of the scenarios (200, 1500, 1940) in the game menu.
I go to Advanced, load mod, load GEM of course, and play scenario, but none of these three scenarios are visible!

IN BTS, in Mods folder where the mod is installed, when I look at the GEM folder, in private maps all three scenarios are there!

Btw. I played GEM older version with 40 civs and have a great time until 1600AD, great map!

You need to load the mod first, then you will see the scenarios after the game restarts.

I wrote that I load the mod first, selected play scenarios, but I can not see 200, 1500 and 1940 scenarios!
Maybe someone had this weird issue, too?

I wrote that I load the mod first, selected play scenarios, but I can not see 200, 1500 and 1940 scenarios!
Maybe someone had this weird issue, too?

Where did you place your mod folder under? Have you tried both path (under where CIV is installed, and under my document)?

I don't know, may be also check your .ini file to see if custom scenario is allowed? However, if you have edit anything in the GEM mod, I can't see why this would be set differently.

Where did you place your mod folder under? Have you tried both path (under where CIV is installed, and under my document)?

I don't know, may be also check your .ini file to see if custom scenario is allowed? However, if you have edit anything in the GEM mod, I can't see why this would be set differently.

Hello,

Here is full path:
D:\Igre\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

This is the only folder with CIV on entire comp.

Your 5.2 GEM is the only mod present in that folder.
Mod can be loaded, after reloading in the right upper corner stands giant earth map, so mod is loaded ok.

I did not edit the GEM mod!

.ini file contains this line:

Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = 0

I did not change anything here, neither!

Thanks

Did you check under My Documents/My Games?

Sometimes it can surprise you what gets stuck in there!

Did you check under My Documents/My Games?

Sometimes it can surprise you what gets stuck in there!

Ah, yes there is also one CIV folder, he he:lol:

But no luck, I have deleted GEM 5.2 from first location and moved it to the My documents-My games-BTS-MODS.
Still the same, not the single scenarios are visible, nor the as the Kai wrote, different resource location, depending of the date in the game.

What is really unusual is that 24000 people have this mod and no one has ever complained about this. I tried to find similar problem on GEM forum, to solve mine, and nothing.

If you guys just extract GEM to the MODS folder and it works fine, then I for sure do not have to edit anything...

Btw. I do not have installed Patch313.

You meant you have patched to 3.1.7 already or not?

I haven't patched to 3.1.3
It is still the basic version of BTS.

My version of the game does not allow me to patch it with the 313(cca 120mb ziped)

I played your first giant map with no problem, if that can help.

I haven't patched to 3.1.3
It is still the basic version of BTS.

My version of the game does not allow me to patch it with the 313(cca 120mb ziped)

I played your first giant map with no problem, if that can help.

Well then that is the problem. GEM v5.2 requires BTS patch 3.1.7. No other choices.

I have played this scenario a fair bit and still notice the same problem... I am doing most of the fighting. Even when USA is at war with Germany for five years it never send a unit. Japan and Russia at war for three years exchange one city. In my war with Gemany, Italy etc... Not once did I feel threatened as the English.

Not sure why this is happening or what can be done.

Anyone else have a "different" experience?

Is it the map?

Is it the number of units and "era" the scenario starts in?

Do the other scenarios have a more robust AI combat dynamic?

I have played this scenario a fair bit and still notice the same problem... I am doing most of the fighting. Even when USA is at war with Germany for five years it never send a unit. Japan and Russia at war for three years exchange one city. In my war with Gemany, Italy etc... Not once did I feel threatened as the English.

Not sure why this is happening or what can be done.

Anyone else have a "different" experience?

Is it the map?

Is it the number of units and "era" the scenario starts in?

Do the other scenarios have a more robust AI combat dynamic?

With regards to the sea/oceans I usually encounter the same problem in many scenarios as the AI rarely loads units on galleons/transport etc to invade and attack.

Unfortunately even installing the Better AI Mod, didnt help much.

If there is an ocean in between, even if a narrow one, with just a single sea square (like Gibraltar for Spain/Morocco), the civs tend to treat it as a major obstacle.

The AI is thick.

What I noticed is that to trigger "invasions" via sea, it helps if you actually place an aggressor unit into the enemy's mainland.
The unit gets annihilated but the aggressor AI "acknowledges" the existence of those lands and might consider attacking.

I wont lie though, it happens rarely.

On my mod, 1205 AD GEM, England very rarely gets attacked even though it starts at war with France.
However if I place enough french units in England so that they manage to take over one english city, then the AI start sending units from the French mainland into England.

I agree. In addition however, Not seeing much in the way of land battles either. It is clearly not as active as a normal game. My biggest hunch why is the number of units throws the AI's off on what to do, not a modder but wondering if the AI keeps to an objective or is reset somehow each turn due to the number of units?

Just tested the scenaio as italians ... hell are they overpowered. The problem is not so much their numbers ... but the promotions?

In reality the italian forces in WWII had just one promotions "get beaten by inferior forces and call for the germans for help". This happend three times: Ethiopia, southern France and Greece.

OK, this is a bit over overly ironic, but if you look at WHAT the italian forces did achieve ... its not much.

Not sure I agree on the promotion issue. It is more the combo of choke points, naval combat, and human strategic advantage that is at issue.

If you weaken them, they will be very easy for a human player to crush. They do not have many units to begin with

Top Bottom