September Patch Notes Discussion

Has anyone noticed weird changes to the distribution of resources since the patch or is it just my skewed perception? I play Emperor, standard continent maps, no mods. Started a game as Peter and found no food or other resource in my starting realm. No tundra either after making a circle with my Warrior. So I restarted ... 3 times with the same dismal result. Then tried Mathias and got a start with only one single mountain visible after initial loop with my scout. Tried Germany next and now have two salt, two sheep and three diamond mines within my first two adjacent cities and two more diamonds just outside my border. The other civs visible seem to be similarly blessed with resources.
Was there an announced change to resource allocation, perhaps associated with the new maps?

I have only started a few Post-Patch games, so don't have enough to speculate on current game settings, but wild swings in Resource placement and Starting Position have been normal in my games since before GS. I can't count the number of times I've had starting positions without a river or mountain as far as the eye could see, and if I restart the same Civ more than 2 times, I am virtually guaranteed to get a Tundra Start no matter which Civ it is. I have also seen frequent Clusters of Resources: 3 - 5 Luxury Resources or 2 - 3 Strategic Resource tiles all within a city radius of each other. If you are a Trading nation that can be a real windfall of Trade Goods, but it is/was completely unpredictable.

I assumed that defensive city buildings were ones that gave, you know, city defense.
The confusion comes from the idea that if they meant walls, they ought to just say "walls".

Presumably "defensive buildings" is preferred to include any unique replacement without the word "wall" in it. But I can see where someone wouldn't conclude that immediately.

Is it for real the Georgia buff +50% Production towards defensive buildings? I see no bonus when constructing my ancient walls and is also not documented in the civilopedia.
What count as defensive buildings?
"Defensive buildings" always refer to walls and their replacements. The production bonus is achieved through the "TRAIT_"defensive building"_PRODUCTION" modifiers and is attached to Georgia's Strength in Unity ability trait. The description for which wasn't updated to reflect the addition.

Thank you very much, it was the gossip messages. I wish there was an option to turn that sound off, it's a little annoying.
When you know the reason of the annoyance, it's easier to cope :)
At first, the seemingly random clicking threw me off as well, but then I looked for the cause, and when I found it, that clicking now became sort of reassuring :lol:
It may go when the mods that put gossip somewhere else update, like 'Concise UI'. We'll see.

The confusion comes from the idea that if they meant walls, they ought to just say "walls".

Presumably "defensive buildings" is preferred to include any unique replacement without the word "wall" in it. But I can see where someone wouldn't conclude that immediately.
I agree, was just being a smartass per usual

Is it for real the Georgia buff +50% Production towards defensive buildings? I see no bonus when constructing my ancient walls and is also not documented in the civilopedia.
Also noticed a bug, the eurekas are not updated in the tech tree unless you select a new tech.
I was playing as Georgia earlier. Anecdotally, it feels like walls build faster. Ancient walls took 5-7 turns to complete for cities without too many quarries or mines. I didn’t look for any text confirming it.

Also noticed a bug, the eurekas are not updated in the tech tree unless you select a new tech.

Mine documents it. You may be suffering from the Load Order bug. Check Statue of Liberty effect if you aren't accidentally using R&F ruleset.

When you know the reason of the annoyance, it's easier to cope :)
At first, the seemingly random clicking threw me off as well, but then I looked for the cause, and when I found it, that clicking now became sort of reassuring :lol:
It may go when the mods that put gossip somewhere else update, like 'Concise UI'. We'll see.
Thanks for your response, I feel exactly the same way. The gossip clicks make me think that I have accidentally misclicked somewhere.
And by the way: Concise UI basically works after the update but some components have problems (especially the trade panel).

... and by the way, I don't quite understand how I should use that bit of the interface. They come and go before I can read them. Why not make them as notifications - just let them hang there so I can read them during my turn?

It has always bugged me how strong naval ranged units are against cities. Like you suggest, they are siege units without their cumbersome nature - they have tons more movement points and don't have hills/forests to get in their way, and plus they are harder to catch. It has always felt OP to me to be able to bombard the city to oblivion so quickly with frigates.

1) It is immersive; and
2) There are enough reasons to ignore navies all together (which isn't immersive) without creating another one!

...and am England.

Now you are stating the obvious Victoria!! :D

Thanks for your response, I feel exactly the same way. The gossip clicks make me think that I have accidentally misclicked somewhere.
And by the way: Concise UI basically works after the update but some components have problems (especially the trade panel).

Unfortunately, while the CUI Mod itself works pretty well, at least on the Mac it causes a conflict with the new Patch that makes it impossible for the Player to establish a Trade Route. Annoying doesn't begin to describe it . . .

... and by the way, I don't quite understand how I should use that bit of the interface. They come and go before I can read them. Why not make them as notifications - just let them hang there so I can read them during my turn?

You can read it anytime you want. You can read on the leader screen, each leader have a gossip tab where you can read all the gossip you got from them. Firaxis also added a Gossip button on the list of reports menu (top right), there you can see all the gossips and filter by leader or type.

Unfortunately it does: just installed the patch and tried to continue a hotseat game that was working fine yesterday, but now, whenever I click on the "Choose production" button for any city, the game just crashes! Looks like this completely breaks the PBEM community!! (Don't they have any kind of quality control before they release a patch? Setting the production project for a city is one of the most common tasks we do in Civilization, besides moving the units around...!)
Whaoo I can tell one thing. You have no idea what you are talking about. What does QA has to do with miracles? You just said so btw setting production is one of the most common task. You know what? A patch is about altering code so it usually ends up modifying 'the most common task'.
Seriously I hope fx guys did not read that one.

Mine documents it. You may be suffering from the Load Order bug. Check Statue of Liberty effect if you aren't accidentally using R&F ruleset.
I hate self-quoting myself, but @Weraptor is correct. I had just looked at the text files, not in-game. The description though has been updated in the Expansion2_ConfigText file, which I overlooked.

Thank you for the hints!

I was using only UI Mods. It seems caused if I use together "Better Report Screen" and "Simplified Gossip".
Strangely, if I use just one of them, the issue is gone.

Is there a change to corps and armies? I am playing as Seondeok and in my current game I can not form or train them. I do not use any mods.
corps_armies.png

Is there a change to corps and armies? I am playing as Seondeok and in my current game I can not form or train them. I do not use any mods. View attachment 534695
You need the Nationalism civic for corps, and Mobilization for armies. Do you have those? I think the buildings simply allow you to train a corps or army directly. This is how it was since before the patch.

Top Bottom