SGFN-08: Random AWM Succession Game

In the beginning I thought so, too. But I was told that in AlwaysWar and us being Monarchy instead of Republic it would be hard to out-research the AI, even on Monarch level.

Lurkers Comment:

I hope I did not imply or say that. You may have trouble researching in the first part of the game, but that is when you use the GLB. It will be easy to out research them, once you have a lot of towns. Even easier, once you can gets some farms going and easier still with rails.

Things get worse for them as they are at war and not getting bigger and not able to get enough workers. Out stripping their free unit support and then losing towns.

Your problem will be running out of time to conquest them, if there are islands and continents.

Lurkers Comment:

I hope I did not imply or say that. You may have trouble researching in the first part of the game, but that is when you use the GLB. It will be easy to out research them, once you have a lot of towns. Even easier, once you can gets some farms going and easier still with rails.

Ok, that makes my troubled mind much easier... :D

Anyway: :bump:

I think it's still your turn, Sparthage?! Just go on, looks good so far! :goodjob:

Lanzelot

I think it's still your turn, Sparthage?! Just go on, looks good so far! :goodjob:
I ought to get something up today. If not, tomorrow will have an update in both this and the Anarchy Game for those who are interested.

Turn Log
Spoiler :

Turn 1 (260 AD)- ...
Trebuchets bombard a regular Immortal (100% Efficiency!)
All five catapults miss Utrect! :mad:

We will see something like this all the time, so in the long run I do think we should upgrade our catapults. (Or disband them, if we can't spare any money.)
At the moment I can see, that we don't want to upgrade them, because Invention has first priority right now. So how about the following:
  • Move the catapults from Utrecht down to our choke points. For bombarding Immortals, archers, horsemen on open grassland they should still be good enough.
  • After the cats arrive down in the south, move the trebuchets up north, so they can be part of our Greek landing force. Against Hoplites fortified in towns our catapults will hit nothing, while the trebs may at least still achieve a hit rate of 50%.

Resume Game…
Turn 3 (280 AD) Cont.- Redline rHoplite (Defending Several Horsies) with trebs (75% Efficient)
eArcher kills 1/3 rHoplite,
GENERATES LEADER!
Well, that's interesting, I need advice. What do we want?
a) Archer Army
b) Archer Army (To Transport)
c) Spear Army
d) Spear Army (To Transport)
e) Horse Army
f) Horse Army (To Transport)

What we have:
1 Horse Army (To Transport)
1 Spear Army (Full)

Attachments

• LEADER!.JPG
    LEADER!.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 227
My strong vote is for e), a horse army. With a second horse army, we can do some serious damage, and I think we'll heed two against Greece.

DWetzel, I believe you mean f)? :confused:

I say d) to play it safe and hope for one more leader...

DWetzel, I believe you mean f)? :confused:

I say d) to play it safe and hope for one more leader...

Nah, I meant e), on the basis that it could be used to deal with interlopers. But you might be right, since we don't seem to be having major problems with that.

Well, I get the feeling that when we actually attack Greece they will step it up and send a flood of units over to the chokepoint, so I will change my vote to e). :)

We're getting to the limit of armies allowed. How many cities do we own? It's 1 army per 4, I think. We're sort of locked into our penninsula by the choke point for deense, but we probably could use more towns for unit support and army availability.
I'd go with a horse army and maybe send it by land to get a better look at the lay of the land, assuming we're comfortable the AI won't attack it with a 4 attack stregnth unit. A 3 move unit makes for good scouting and pillaging. By the way, do we know if Greece has iron? If so, is there a coast route to Greece for export to our mainland?

We have the Great Library, so we don't need to research, silly boy. :p

By the way, do we know if Greece has iron? If so, is there a coast route to Greece for export to our mainland?

I think the Greek do have iron, but I can't remember, whether this is only speculation or whether I have already seen proof of it. In any case the chances are high. And there should be a coast route, kind of U-shaped starting at Nürnberg.

Lurker's comment
Signing up as a lurker.
Also, do we have iron? if not, I would go for a 10.0.0 research rate until we get invention, then build a longbow army in transport.

I support this plan. A Longbow Army has attack value 6, while a Horsemen Army has only attack 3. Both have chances of retreat on loosing. So for cracking open those Hoplites fortified in towns, we definitely want a Longbow Army in our invasion force. A Horsemen Army still has good chances of loosing against a Hoplite.

And by the way: now that we have 3 Armies, start the Pentagon somewhere! (We will be able to continue it, even if we loose one of our Armies in the meanwhile.) Pentagon and Military Academy are key to making Armies really powerful. For example a Longbow Army will have attack value 8 (not to mention the extra life points), if you own both.

As a matter of fact, we are already researching towards Invention as fast as possible (though not 100%) and there should be less than 10 turns left, iirc.

Ooh, longbow army, me likey (somewhat).

One thing we might consider is figuring a way to poach some iron. We WILL need iron to make this game go much more smoothly. I don't remember where the visible sources are other than two near Persia (one on a mountain); it may be worth trying to figure out a way to pop up a coastal city/harbor if that's possible.

Also, I'd suggest our next leader for the Pentagon, rushed somewhere where we need a coastal expansion.

Lurkers Comment:

LB army present the same problem as a horse army in that it is all defense 1 units. It does mean a spear could go in and not bother the movement. Lowers the attack a bit, but may mean not being attack with AA units.

Not real sure about MDI, they may still attack, swords should leave it alone ( if green).

I support putting a spear in, especially since since we are getting the Pentagon soon anyway. :)

I think the pure LB Army is the best bet if its covered by a Spear army, offense beats defense here, we have adequate defense, while our offensive is not adequate. Get a build going on the Pentagon, but expect to rush it with a leader sooner than it could be built. In fact, rushing that wonder in Athens with an MGL would likely be worth the risk, giving it quick culture while we prepare a palace jump.

Top Bottom